I grew up in the quiet Chicago neighborhood Hyde Park, surrounded by the University of Chicago. For the most part, Halloween was intimate and fun: just a few of us kids going from door to door with our professor parents collecting candy from nice people. But I always stayed clear of one block.
Harper Avenue. It was the hotbed of all things Halloween, and while I ran, my peers flooded the small street. Why? Because it was truly scary. One image is burned into my mind for life: an actress, laying on a porch, pretended to rip her intestines out for all the kids to see. Scary decorations, when done well, have the potential to make Halloween history. Here are 7 decorations that are bound to terrify, lending your house the allure and magic of the legendary Harper Avenue.
1. A scary doll. This one is available here.
2. Captive Hands. These are made with the help of construction paper and a strobe light. Design by Inspiring Pretty
3. Spooky chicken-wire ghosts. Design by Inspiring Pretty.
4. Skeleton pumpkin. This one made me do a double-take. Get your carving on! Design by Inspiring Pretty.
6. Terrifying Land-mower Accident. Design by Asylum Design Works. Pinned by Kristy Hodoly.
7. Whatever this is. It's really, really scary. Thanks to Lisa Vecchio. Repinned by Jeanette Fierro Cadena.
Have a great Halloween, BUSTies!
Images via Ebay, Inspiring Pretty, and Pinterest
The opinions expressed on the BUST blog are those of the authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the position of BUST Magazine or its staff.
blog comments powered by Disqus