4th Annual Brooklyn Pie Contest on January 23rd! Presented by Brooklyn Homesteader at The Bedford. The funds raised at this event will benefit, Growing Chefs, a field to fork educational program.
For the pie contest, the rules are as follows:
1. You must make the pie crust yourself, FROM SCRATCH!
2. Pizza pies do not count. We love them, but it's not the same thing at all...Sorry! No pizza.
3. The first 50 pies in attendance will be judged. All pies after are welcome to be shared with the crowd, but they will not be tasted by the judges. Get there right on time if you want to get in on the competition
4. Please, only one entry per person so that everyone can play!
5. If you bring a pie, you get in free. Your friends will be asked for $10, though and if you plan on eating a bunch feel free to toss a couple bucks in the donation jar for Growing Chefs. It's not required, but we'd give you a great big hug if you did.
To repeat: Bring your pie to The Bedford at 5:30. The first 50 pies in the door will be judged so get there on time! Any pies after 50 can be shared with the crowd, but they will not be judged. Please don't get mad at us if you are the 51st pie through the door. We don't want to make the judges ill.
We've got some great judges: Blake Joyal, Head chef of The Bedford, pastry chefs from Momofuku Milk Bar, Four & Twenty Blackbirds, and Baked. Many great businesses in Brooklyn will be donating prizes for the following awards: Best Overall Savory, 2nd Place Savory, Best Overall Sweet, 2nd Place Sweet.
We get lots of sweet pies so your odds are great if you've made a savory pie. Savory will also be judged first, sweet pies following.
Admission is $10 for all you can eat pie. Once the pies are judged, they are up for grabs. Pie eating will commence at around 7.