One week. No. LESS than one week remains before Halloween, the one time out of the year when you can wear nearly anything you want and no one gives you grief. Unless your costume is boring. Which is why BUST is here.
Something scary? Something clever? Something to top last year? Figuring out a good costume can be rough, 'specially when most Google searches result in 1,000 listings for 'Slutty [insert profession, animal, fictional character here]'. So for all y'all still coming up blank with costume ideas, here's a the beginning drizzle of what, with your comments and suggestions, will soon become one wallop of a brainstorm. Read 'em over, comment with your ideas, and, if anyone can add some helpful how-tos, please do! Let's end rock-tober with a bang!
1) Madonna: okay, good start. Especially because that's about 20 different costumes right off the bat.
2) Elaine from Seinfeld: bring back the 90s with a thrifted women's skirt-suit and a pair of Himalyan Walking Boots.
3) Lady Gaga: an awesome costume idea, but, SPOILER ALERT: everybody's doing it.
4) Liz Lemon from 30 Rock: this year's Sarah Palin.
5) Anything Mad Men: super fun, and you know you'll wear that costume to work all year.
6) Michelle Obama: with or without hula-hoop.
7) Little Edie from Grey Gardens: this one could lead to a great buddy costume (Little Edie and Big Edie), or a group gig (if you find some friends to dress as cats and raccoons).
8) Beyonce: another suggestion with about a bizillion different incarnations.
9) your fave Baby-Sitters Club gal: get yourself a crimper and a scrunchie and the world is your oyster.
10) your fave BUST cover!: use a big piece of cardboard for a backdrop--paint or draw on the logo and some headlines. You can 'attach' yourself using a little elastic to make arm loops, or a belt at your waist. Then, find an outfit to match the celeb of your choice; my faves are Beth Ditto, Chloe Sevigny, Eve, and Amy Sedaris, but you can find (tiny) pictures of back issues here: http://www.bust.com/Info/About-BUST.html. Or, just make the background and picture yourself on the cover! Bonus points if you end up matching our December/January issue!
Comment with what you come up with, and any suggestions you have for your fellow BUSTies!
photo courtesy quickblogcast.com
The opinions expressed on the BUST blog are those of the authors themselves and do not necessarily reflect the position of BUST Magazine or its staff.
blog comments powered by Disqus