Date: Friday, October 26, 2012 At 08:00 PM
Duration: 2 Hours
- Master Storyteller & Solo Performer Mike Daisey
- Sex Educator & Dirty Bingo Maven Ducky Doolittle
- FunkyBrownChick.com's Twanna A. Hines
- tinyDANGEROUSfun! & Peg-ass-us' John Leo
- Musical duo & NYC cult phenomenon Mel and El
- More performers to come!
*Plus Sex Toy Giveaways from Vixen Creations & Aneros!*
Remember: Doors at 7, Stories at 8!
For the past six years, Bawdy Storytelling has been entertaining, educating, and erectifying™ audiences up and down the west coast. Known as "The Moth for Pervs," Bawdy features real people and sexual rockstars sharing their honest and awesome sexual exploits in 10 minutes or less – we’re talking no scripts, no nets, and no filters. Hostess/Curator Dixie De La Tour revels in bringing the unexpected, hilarious and transcendent to the stage, so join her and some surprising local heroes for a Friday night that’s sure to shock, stimulate and spur you to make that shared taxi more than just a ride home.
On October 26th, Bawdy Storytelling - the often imitated, always celebrated, and occasionally inebriated cool uncle whom you can always call for bail money – finally comes to NYC! Join us at Galapagos Art Space for ‘No Holds Barred,’ (known as 'No Holes Barred' to our close friends)... either way, we're talking about making your own rules in, out, and around the sheets. Bawdy’s true tales of carnal wins and epic fails never fail to sinspire™ people to create a few new stories of their own after the show – and when you do, contact Dixie to share it. Our aim: listen this time, be onstage the next!
Tickets $15/available in advance at http://
More info at www.BawdyStorytelling.com & at
- Mike Daisey has been called “the master storyteller” and “one of the finest solo performers of his generation” by The New York Times for his groundbreaking monologues which weave together autobiography, gonzo journalism, and unscripted performance to tell hilarious and heartbreaking stories. His controversial work, The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, was recognized as one of the year’s best theater pieces by The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Seattle Times, Seattle Weekly, San Jose Mercury News, and The San Francisco Bay Guardian. He has performed in venues on five continents, ranging from Off-Broadway at the Public Theater to remote islands in the South Pacific, from the Sydney Opera House to an abandoned theater in post-Communist Tajikistan. He’s been a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher, the Late Show with David Letterman, a longtime host and storyteller for The Moth, as well as a commentator and contributor to The New York Times, This American Life, the Guardian, Harper’s Magazine, Newsweek/Daily Beast, WIRED, Vanity Fair, Slate, Salon, NPR and the BBC.
- Ducky Doolittle is the author of Sex With The Lights On: 200 Illuminating Sex Questions Answered. She has spent the last two decades working in the field of sexuality. Ducky tours internationally, performing on campuses, medical schools, bachelorette parties, homeless youth drop-in centers, book clubs, church groups, sex shops and anywhere else she can gather a crowd. She has appeared on HBOs Real Sex, The Morning Show, MTV, NPR, The Howard Stern Show, and Playboy TV... to name a few
- Twanna A. Hines, M.A., is a New York-based writer, experienced sex educator and reproductive rights advocate. With student loan debt from New York University, her degrees are in sociology. Called one of “the internet’s sultriest sharers” by the Village Voice, details about her rendezvous have been printed in Glamour magazine. AfterEllen.com calls her the “straight-but-not-narrow” sex columnist. A media maker, marketing communications firm Ogilvy named her one of Social Media Week’s “Movers & Shakers” / “Top Influencers.” She has appeared on CNN, NPR, Sirius Satellite Radio as well as CBC (Canadian National Radio) and Paris Première (French Television). She has written for Lifetime, Nerve, New York Press, Fast Company and has a blog on the Huffington Post. AOL recognized her award-winning site FUNKY BROWN CHICK®. She has also been quoted in New York magazine, Gawker Media, The San Francisco Chronicle, EbonyJet, The Baltimore Sun and Vibe. She is currently finishing her debut memoir.
- John Leo (Co-creator and performer) is a physical comedy performer, teacher and director as well as a pediatric clown doctor with NYC’s Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit. An (New York Clown Olympics ‘08), John has performed with Perseverance Theatre (Juneau, Alaska) and Clowns Without Borders (Mexico '04 & Guatemala '10). He also produces, creates and performs outrageous original comedy: In Cahoots (Best Physical Theatre of SF Fringe ‘03); Number's Up, a Clown show with his chihuahua, Peaknuckle (GOLD MEDAL: Eccentric Dance NYC Clown Theatre Festival '07); Peg-ass-us, a Romantic Sex-Ed Burlesque (Best Comedy of SF Fringe ‘08, Boulder Fringe Encore Award '12); Handshake Uppercut (SOLD OUT @ the NYC Clown Theatre Festival '12, "Chicago Fringe Must See" '12); tinyDANGEROUSfun! a big-risk variety show in a small basement in Brooklyn. John facilitates theatrical problem solving with Theatre of the Oppressed NYC and is a recipient of an Individual Artist Project Award from the Rasmussen Foundation. He is a graduate of the Dell 'Arte School of Physical Theatre and Bard College (BA - Drama/Dance).
- Described as a modern-day Laverne & Shirley, Mel & El have grown up to become a riotously funny musical duo and an NYC cult phenomenon. Their critically acclaimed show, MEL & EL: THIS SHOW RHYMES, was developed with Cannery Works and enjoyed a year-long run at The Duplex in NYC's West Village. Their next show, MEL & EL: SHOW & TELL, developed in part at New York Stage & Film, premiered at Ars Nova to rave reviews. MEL & EL: GAY MARRIED headlined Comix and culminated in the pair being chosen as one of the Village Voice's BEST OF NYC. Their debut musical comedy album, MEL & EL: SHE'S MY BITCH, is available on iTunes and CD Baby and their web series THE MEL & EL SHOW is now available at themelandelshow.com.
Powered by JCal Pro Calendar 2
More From the Blog
Though it’s easy to get emotionally invested with fictional characters – Harry Potter World was built with the premise in mind – it’s the writers we need to…
It’s about time! School girls in Saudi Arabia can now participate in organized sports without breaking any laws. The Saudi government announced it this month:…
This is the absolute worst. A woman from Florida has lost the baby she planned to carry to full term, thanks to the shockingly rotten actions of her now…
For some ungodly reason, these two guys wanted to feel their wives’ labor pains for themselves. Sweet? Strange? Well, it’s definitely something. After…
Officials in Osaka, Japan are keeping their heads down this week after their mayor, Toru Hashimoto, made some uncool comments about the country’s role in…
Friends of Planned Parenthood in North Carolina donned their best bustles and pumps yesterday to fight the state’s latest anti-woman bill, HB730. The gals…