The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 113 114 115 116 117 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
miss_jane
post May 10 2006, 08:42 AM
Post #2281

BUSTie

Thanks sybarite.

I do feel sorry for those on the schooln run though. I don't know if i'd be bothered to be normal. Although I wouldn't have bought gauchos in the first place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sybarite
post May 10 2006, 08:13 AM
Post #2282

it's cards on the table time

IME, the school run is a veritable minefield for the CoF.

Miss_jane, black band t-shirts are always cool.

*goes off into sunshine to spot tourists in bad shoes and stupid knapsacks, the better to report back*

+Quote Post
miss_jane
post May 10 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #2283

BUSTie

I think I just wandered into the realm of CoF.

I went out wearing black band t-shirt that is a childsize so not only did I get the breasts urging to be free look, but a good 4 inches of my gut hanging out, knee length denim shorts with turnups which have been "distressed", no makeup, no wash in fact - including hair, and to top it off, gold fakenstocks.

Although I happened to go out on the school run and all I can say is, at least I'm not wearing gauchos.

+Quote Post
sexytrexy
post May 9 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #2284

*Ahem*
I was at a fashion line release party with my roommates, and this chic caught my eye. She was wearing...
Kelly green satin boxy dress that had the look of an oversized tux shirt from the 70's (complete with long sleeves and the ruffle down the front)
A large gold and brown belt that was cinched in such a way that her waist looked like where sausages connect
A cotton hooded zip up tunic that hit her right above the knees and was pale peach
Black mid calf stretch pants
Purple high top Converse All Stars.
You don't have to try so hard just because you are at a fashion related event! There was no dresscode. Most of the people in attendance looked either classic, snazzy, or chill. Lots of sandals and such. I myself threw on some smart red peep toe pumps and a grey fitted tee over the jeans I wore to the dog park. While trying to emmerse myself in the (local) world of fashion, I was initially scared of snobs. Though they exist, I am now deathly afraid of being the girl who tries to hard.

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post May 8 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #2285

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Oh fug, I got another look at her and her belly is poking out from underneath the top.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post May 8 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #2286

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Cripes, I'm good at walking in heels and even I can't walk across grass without looking like a fool.And why am I picturing Peggy Bundy in that outfit?

Today at work, on one of my coworkers, mid-thirties, who has rather interesting fashion sense:

--cropped, floaty white top with sleeves that looked like they belonged on a shortened kimono
--pink and green tapestry print leggings (and yes, you could see everything)
--purple socks
--navy running shoes

The sad thing is, her haircut is actually cute, but the outfit didn't match it at all. At least she was wearing a bra (this is a woman who needs to wear one and she doesn't always do that) and the top covered her belly (again, she has worn tops like that to work).

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post May 8 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #2287

Hardcore BUSTie

on campus today:

green khaki-type sort-of cropped jacket
gauzy floaty off-white tunic top ending well below the jacket
tight, washed-out camo capri pants
3" leopard print stiletto heels

the whole thing was a disaster, but the shoes were the absolute worst part, in their wtf-itude. and she was walking across the grass. i have no idea how she didn't seriously injure herself in those shoes.

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
msgoofball
post May 8 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #2288

Hardcore BUSTie

yesterday at disneyland/C.A., i saw a load of CoF's....but i remember a distinct few...

-the man who brought with him a wrestling belt..and was carrying it over his shoulder. WTF?

-and the couple with the mime face paint on. and regular clothes. WTF?

+Quote Post
mornington
post May 8 2006, 07:50 AM
Post #2289

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

*snorts* thank you, dusty... the mental image.

I think the mom jeans are genetic... maybe they're passed down as a sort of rite. At which point they pass down the knowledge of the CoF-mall too.

+Quote Post
miss_jane
post May 8 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #2290

BUSTie

Youngish woman today wearing normal top, t-shirt and hoodie i think. She was then wearing baggy denim knee length shorts. With grey tracksuit bottoms beneath.

+Quote Post
dusty
post May 8 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #2291

Hardcore BUSTie

I was following a guy into the mall yesterday, looking at about three inches of grey wool socks showing below his khakis, thinking, "Elderly men. They just shoot up so fast these days..."

+Quote Post
halcyon
post May 8 2006, 01:50 AM
Post #2292

Hardcore BUSTie

hee hee, bklynhermit, I would've paid to see that!

+Quote Post
herculesgirl
post May 7 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #2293

Hardcore BUSTie

"Mom jean teen thing"...I like the way that sounds...hee!

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 7 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #2294

Hardcore BUSTie

oh, another hilarious people-watching episode from yesterday, though only tenuously related to fashion:

a suburban mom-type (wash n go highlighted hair, baggy capri pants, short sleeved button down top which looked to be from Land's End) gleefully playing tambourine to a street musician's accompaniment on a powder blue fender strat, at Astor Place, in downtown new york.

this is why the east village is my all time favorite people watching spot...

she was totally shakin' it, too.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 7 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #2295

Hardcore BUSTie

also, the woman i saw had a daughter who looked to be less than 20 years old, and she herself (the mom) looked to be in her late 40's or maybe fiftyish at most.

so we're talking about someone who was a teenager in the 60's or 70's, for whom such pantsuits would have been the height of frump.

unless the mom jean teen thing is genetic, and the mother herself was wearing said polyester pantsuits at the age of 17...

can you imagine the grandmother, also a former mom jean teen, wandering around in whatever was considered frumpy in 1940?

+Quote Post
curioushair
post May 7 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #2296

Hardcore BUSTie

Yesterday I saw a woman in what I think was riding gear. That's not so terrible, I mean if you just jumped off a horse, but sort of weird in South St. Louis.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 7 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #2297

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I'm sure that part of it is just that they're old and don't care anymore, which I can respect, but I don't get being okay with wearing tons of old polyester- isn't that like wearing steel wool next to your skin? They've improved synthetics a lot over the years, and while I'm still reluctant to buy them, I do occasionally if the item is really good.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 7 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #2298

Hardcore BUSTie

if i had cable, i would watch 'What Not To Wear' all day, every day. I would get TiVo and TiVo every episode and watch them over and over.

I love that show. Preferably the American version (because it's more about wearing clothes that actually FIT you and LOOK GOOD rather than toeing a fashion partyline), but I'll watch the BBC one, too, in a pinch.

+Quote Post
misspissed
post May 7 2006, 02:58 PM
Post #2299

Hardcore BUSTie

bklynhermit, after watching umpteenth episodes of "What Not To Wear", i have come to the conclusion that there is some sort of secret shopping mall that carries all things CoF. somehow, they've hid themselves from the saner portion of civilization. not sure how, but there is definitely a conspiracy.

retro poly 70s pantsuits? 80's shoulder-padded Crystal Carrington dresses and jackets?

they got 'em.

i refuse to believe that people will wear things they bought 30 years ago and not understand that it is OUT OF DATE. maybe i suffer from extreme denial, but i can't believe it.

just because it still fits, doesn't mean you should still wear it.

grr.

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 7 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #2300

Hardcore BUSTie

dude, seriously.

as a knitter, it is such a pain in the ass to wade through the pattern books trying to find something cool and functional and non-CoF to work on between all the "Yes, it's ugly, but at least it took a lot of skill!" type patterns.

And I saw one of those mom jean teens yesterday in union square. the weird thing is that she was with her mother, who had an un-ironic BEEHIVE and was wearing one of those circa 1972 polyester pantsuits, complete with double-knit vest over some kind of Gingham HorrorTop.

Where did these people come from? They could not possibly be New Yorkers, or at least not from Manhattan or any of the civilized parts of the city.

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 113 114 115 116 117 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 05:38 PM