271 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
shyedna
post Mar 23 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #1861

QUOTE(honey @ Apr 25 2006, 09:21 AM) *
www.accessrx.com they sell metro gel for 99.00 dollar's

Hi everyone this is my first post, so HELLO. Just wanted to respond to honey.

Honey,

I buy metro from accessrx and have never had a problem, my husband found them on a site he uses www.edguider.com or guiders or something. Anyway they have online doctors and are top notch
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kristen
post Mar 23 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #1862

BUSTie

i just got back from whole foods. no fem d!!! i found where it should be there were alot of other jarrow probiotics but no fem d. there was an empty spot that said temporarily out of stock but there was no label there saying what the product was. so i drove 20 minutes to get there and wasted 6 bucks on toll booths and no fem d. i'm so mad i can't seem to find the stuff anywhere. i found on the internet that the vitamin shoppe has it so i went there the other day since its right by my house and none there either i'm so frustrated. i dont know why i dont want to order it i just dont. and yes hell is already breaking loose with my vag after lasts nights little romp. sad.gif

+Quote Post
kristen
post Mar 23 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #1863

BUSTie

i finally am going to whole foods to get the fem d everyone has been raving about... no i have really wanted to try it for a long time but could not find a whole foods store. it is a long way from my house but i still think it is better then ordering it. i have hope that it will work for me alone, my problem has been almost non existant with no maintanence at all. just the slightest discharge maybe even normal but hard to tell. but i have also not been having any sex. my boyfriend and i had sex last night so i bet all hell will break lose. anyway i'm very excited to get the fem d and i will be taking only it so i will tell ya'll how it goes. its actually very inexspensive i dont know what some of the ladies are talking about. look at all the rest of the things you spend money on for your vag. 15 bucks a month is great. anyway i'm off to whole foods and i have never been there so maybe i will find something else cool.

+Quote Post
shashasha
post Mar 22 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #1864

Hi everyone,

I have had recurring BV for months now and I wanted to share what has worked best for me.

What I do when it flares up is I do a scorched-earth boric acid treatment that includes a douche (mixing the powder with water--i use a capsule's worth of powder with a couple ounces of water) and then ALSO applying some of the powder to my labia and under the hood, just to get everything. THEN I wait maybe half a day and rinse myself out really good (in the bathtub under the faucet) with water to remove all the boric acid. THEN i douche with a mixture of warm (not too warm--body temp) water mixed with the contents of two acidophilus capsules (you could also use live-culture yogurt). The reason for this is the "good" bacteria (found in the acidophilus) is what keeps your vaginal balance healthy enough to ward off the "bad" bacteria that causes BV. When you do a boric acid treatment you kill ALL the bacteria off, so there's nothing to keep the bad bacteria from growing back. Taking acidophilus orally helps but I don't think it is fast enough to repopulate you after a boric acid treatment--so I just put the good bacteria right up in there.

I didn't know until I found this thread that tea tree oil only kills the bad bacteria, so maybe I will start using those capsules for maintenance. I'll report if I learn anything else.

Thanks everyone for the support, I have read this thread often but only now felt like I had something to contribute.

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 21 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #1865

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(wildflower @ Mar 20 2008, 07:06 AM) *
3. They prescribed vaginal Metronidazole...I think the thought was that less would get into my blood stream that way, but it is a 5 day prescription, as compared to a single 2 gram dose that I have now been reading online is recommended if you have to take Flagyl while nursing. I would then have to pump and dump for 12-24 hours though. But I have a stash and would have no problems doing that for a day...couldn't for 5 days, although it wasn't suggested by the doc that I needed to do that.

Sorry, wildflower. I didn't take into account that you are nursing.

Don't interpret this as medical advice, but since you're nursing, I agree that you should probably avoid flagyl or metrogel altogether.

So my suggestion is: take Fem-D (2/day) and hope for the best. There are some ladies in here who just took Fem-D (no prescription) and it solved their BV problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildflower
post Mar 20 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #1866

QUOTE(lori @ Mar 20 2008, 05:32 AM) *
1. go get a GYN exam, if you haven't (make sure you don't have an STD, instead of, or with the BV)

2. ask for a Trich exam, especially if you get recurrences after unprotected sex (wet mounts and pap smears are only 60% effective at diagnosing Trich)

3. if you are diagnosed with BV, take oral Flagyl (I explain in my blog why I think oral Flagyl is the best choice)

4. begin taking Fem-dophilus along with the Flagyl (start with 2/day)

So that's my recommended plan of action in a nutshell. If you want to know the reasoning behind my suggestions, I provide them in the blog.

1. DONE. That's how I got diagnosed to begin with. I often have difficulty telling if it's yeast or BV so I now always go to the doc to get an official diagnosis!

2. Haven't done this. I can't remember the last time I had sex with DH and I know I got this infection from Diflucan that I took to treat a yeast infection.

3. They prescribed vaginal Metronidazole...I think the thought was that less would get into my blood stream that way, but it is a 5 day prescription, as compared to a single 2 gram dose that I have now been reading online is recommended if you have to take Flagyl while nursing. I would then have to pump and dump for 12-24 hours though. But I have a stash and would have no problems doing that for a day...couldn't for 5 days, although it wasn't suggested by the doc that I needed to do that.

4. Actually, now that I look at the price the FemD isn't any more expensive (although this depends on how many pills there are per bottle) than the Udo's Choice that I've been taking. I will place an order as I'm almost out of my probiotics anyway. We'll see if it makes a difference.

I found this website related to breastfeeding while on Metronidazole. http://www.druginformation.co.nz/pdfs/metronidazole_milk.pdf
I'm pretty sure that I subjected my child to this drug in the 1st or 2nd month of life already, but now I'm a bit wiser (and have a little more time to research rather than just trust my doctor). I just don't want to continue to subject him to drugs where the effects are unknown.

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 20 2008, 04:15 AM
Post #1867

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(wildflower @ Mar 19 2008, 06:43 PM) *
Last, (I think) Fem D is mentioned often. It appears to be an expensive version of lactobacillus acidolphilus. I currently take Udo's Choice Probiotics which includes LA along with other probiotics. Is FemD really super special or more beneficial for ridding BV?

Yes, it's specifically targeted for BV (also yeast and UTI). I know Fem-D is expensive (I really wish it was cheaper!), but you need to take the right drug for the right problem. A lot of probiotics (incl. acidophilus) are geared towards intestinal health or overall immunity. We've all taken tons of them, but they really haven't helped the BV.

Here's my blog's section on Fem-D:

Fem-Dophilus (Jarrow)
  • Cons: expensive
  • Conclusion: several members have reported good results; buy it refrigerated (iHerb.com looks like the best online source)

QUOTE(jewelscando @ Mar 19 2008, 04:21 PM) *
WELCOME WILDFLOWER!!!!

I suggest you go through the board and read up on some different suggestions that the girls have come up with. It's worth the time to read, or go to BLOGS and check out Lori's Blog. She has hours and hours of information that she's done on what works, what doesn't, and so on.

Welcome to the board.. Hope you find help soon!!

Thanks Jewels. My blog is a compendium of all the BV-related information I collected. I think it's useful as a reference, but I don't think it's necessary to read every word. My suggestions (based on my research) is fairly simple:

1. go get a GYN exam, if you haven't (make sure you don't have an STD, instead of, or with the BV)

2. ask for a Trich exam, especially if you get recurrences after unprotected sex (wet mounts and pap smears are only 60% effective at diagnosing Trich)

3. if you are diagnosed with BV, take oral Flagyl (I explain in my blog why I think oral Flagyl is the best choice)

4. begin taking Fem-dophilus along with the Flagyl (start with 2/day)

So that's my recommended plan of action in a nutshell. If you want to know the reasoning behind my suggestions, I provide them in the blog.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpRiNkLeS
post Mar 20 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #1868

BUSTie

Hi Wildflower!! My former doctor (the asswipe who delivered my son) wrote me out my very first prescription for Metrogel while I was breastfeeding. Now this guy turned out to be a complete dumbshit so I’m not saying it is safe, of course I believed him so I thought it was safe at the time I was breastfeeding but who knows. Ok so I should stop typing, this isn’t really helping much. Anyway it is nice to see a new mommy on the board! I was so happy when I finished breastfeeding because that meant I could take any pill I wanted without worrying about it hurting my son, anyway I know how you feel about pill popping while breastfeeding. My baby is now a toddler……..but geez doesn’t it suck to have to deal with BV WHILE experiencing being a new mommy? Doesn’t matter if it’s your first time or not. Some days it totally took away the joy my child brought me. I hope to kill this crap before my son gets old enough for outbursts in public like, “Mommy, you stink!!!!” or “Mom you smell like POOP!” but then again you said you don’t really have the BV odors? I am quite jealous!

CanCan & CarrieBradshaw: Thanks for the posts about TTO! I hope this doesn’t mean my old fav Metrogel won’t be effective on me anymore. I am trying to wait a little longer before I use it again.

Mg86: Yes I agree, most days I feel like I take an abnormal amount of pills. I feel like a bratty kid most the time, I have inward fights with myself like….”NO! I don’t wanna take my pills!” while stomping as if in a tantrum………yes I know it is immature but I’m sick of taking health pills!

+Quote Post
SpRiNkLeS
post Mar 20 2008, 03:13 AM
Post #1869

BUSTie

HI Ladies. So notice how my “HI” is not attached with an exclamation point. I AM SO FRIGGIN NOT HAPPY. Lori was right, douching is bad. Very, very bad. I am now getting reverse effects from my Tea Tree Oil douches and honestly I can count the number of douches I have tediously performed and the magic number ladies…………FOUR. That’s it! Four friggin douches, nicely spaced within maybe a week and a half. Today my vagina gave me a lovely little surprise…a faint fart aroma. Yeah, I know! A FRIGGIN FART SMELL. I was like………OH MY GOSH. Are you friggin kidding me!!!!!!!!?

I thought smelling like shit was bad but seriously a fart whiff every now and again aint no walk in the park either. It is really hard to hold your head up high when this crap happens. I was doing so good too!! It’s those damn douches I tell ya!! They are EVIL.

EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!!!

Just as wildflower was saying, I too started noticing that just after my second douche I did not get the same effect as I did the first TTO douche. Every time is like that……not as tingly and fresh feeling as the one before it. Also the morning after you wake up from your douche is all great and crap but the next day is worse than if you didn’t douche at all. DAMNIT.

I will consider the suppositories but I am done with douching. Plus the shit stinks after a while, it stinks up the whole bathroom and I think it is wafting throughout the house because damn is it strong!!!! I don't think this is good for my kid to be POSSIBLY smelling (who knows) so for that alone I am done with the douche. I have to remind myself to keep faith that I WILL fight this crap…eventually find my cure or regulate my hormones soon, whatever comes first. Please ladies, keep posting success stories. I appreciate them so much. Those stories and my faith are what’s keeping me sane throughout this mess.

+Quote Post
wildflower
post Mar 19 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #1870

So I've read through what I could...difficult to devote a lot of time with a 6 month old in the house...and I have a couple questions I guess. It sounds like lori agrees that douching could actually make the condition worse by causing PID. In her blog she notes some suggestions in how to apply HP wihtout douching, but overall doesn't recommend using the treatment. If I only use this for a single 1 week treatment as suggested in the link/study on lori's blog, would it really be problematic? If this is the route that I would take, what is the best application if I choose not to douche?

I like the description of the tea tree oil - an Altoid for the vagina! LOL! That's so true! But after that initial tingle, the benefits seem to be gone...except that it might cover the odor if you have one (I luckily don't). I understand that you want to use this treatment for up to 6 weeks. If it's a treatment that will work for you,...when would you start to experience the benefits? As I posted before, it's only been 2 days and things seem to be worse. I hate to continue if it's a bust.

I'm still unsure which direction to pursue at this point. I don't want to continue with TTO if it's not effective. I'm concerned that allowing the infection to get worse without effective treatment could cause permanent damage.

Again, I don't want to take the Metronidazole because I am breastfeeding and it is a Class C drug. I don't want to expose my son to unnecessary antibiotics.

Last, (I think) Fem D is mentioned often. It appears to be an expensive version of lactobacillus acidolphilus. I currently take Udo's Choice Probiotics which includes LA along with other probiotics. Is FemD really super special or more beneficial for ridding BV?

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 19 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #1871

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(wildflower @ Mar 19 2008, 09:59 PM) *
New here...was directed by someone else who thought this thread might be able to help me find natural remedies that actually work and can be used while breastfeeding. My BV has occurred (and typically occurs) as a result of treatment for a yeast infection. I've been prescribed Metronidazole, but don't want to take it while nursing. I started using tea tree oil soaked tampons 2 days ago, but symptoms seemed to have worsened. It was suggested that I douchre with hydrogen peroxide 50/50 solution. I was always told not to douche though and am concerned that it may actually push the infection into my uterus or fallopian tubes (based on something I had read online). I'm not sure where to go from here. I take probiotics on a daily basis...they had worked in preventing my recurrent yeast, bacterial and UTI's for over a year and I was ecstatic. Now they are back :-( Any help or direction from those of you who have had experience in getting rid of these nasty infections FOR GOOD would be greatly appreciated!!! My patience is waning as I've had issues with yeast and now this for over a month (this time around anyway...over 20 years though of experience with yeast, UTI's and bacterial infections).

WELCOME WILDFLOWER!!!!

I suggest you go through the board and read up on some different suggestions that the girls have come up with. It's worth the time to read, or go to BLOGS and check out Lori's Blog. She has hours and hours of information that she's done on what works, what doesn't, and so on.

Welcome to the board.. Hope you find help soon!!

+Quote Post
wildflower
post Mar 19 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #1872

New here...was directed by someone else who thought this thread might be able to help me find natural remedies that actually work and can be used while breastfeeding. My BV has occurred (and typically occurs) as a result of treatment for a yeast infection. I've been prescribed Metronidazole, but don't want to take it while nursing. I started using tea tree oil soaked tampons 2 days ago, but symptoms seemed to have worsened. It was suggested that I douchre with hydrogen peroxide 50/50 solution. I was always told not to douche though and am concerned that it may actually push the infection into my uterus or fallopian tubes (based on something I had read online). I'm not sure where to go from here. I take probiotics on a daily basis...they had worked in preventing my recurrent yeast, bacterial and UTI's for over a year and I was ecstatic. Now they are back :-( Any help or direction from those of you who have had experience in getting rid of these nasty infections FOR GOOD would be greatly appreciated!!! My patience is waning as I've had issues with yeast and now this for over a month (this time around anyway...over 20 years though of experience with yeast, UTI's and bacterial infections).

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 19 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #1873

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(sassy @ Mar 19 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Neverending: My husband is on Effexor and he takes his right before bed every night. I would probably ask your doctor about taking it with the diet pill, though, as I don't know how that would react with an anti-depressant?

THANKS SASSY!

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 19 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #1874

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 18 2008, 07:23 PM) *
TTO did nothing for me. I'm gonna do Flagyl and FemD bc it makes perfect sense. Do you still take TTO regularly or is your BV gone completely?

I ONLY do TTO the day after sex. Never have I done it daily, however, several sights suggest you do it for a period of days, I'm not sure what the days are though.

Sorry it didn't work for you. I would try the Flagyl and FemD like you said. Once again, what works for me, might not work for you and vice versa, so you need to find what works for you.

+Quote Post
sassy
post Mar 19 2008, 04:36 AM
Post #1875

Hardcore BUSTie

Neverending: My husband is on Effexor and he takes his right before bed every night. I would probably ask your doctor about taking it with the diet pill, though, as I don't know how that would react with an anti-depressant?

+Quote Post
neverending
post Mar 18 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #1876

Hardcore BUSTie

OK ladies:

I want to start taking the diet pill ALLI. I take effexor and I was wondering if anyone here has taken ALLI with an anti-depressant because I have no clue what time I should take it. The alli packet says take all vitamins and stuff at night but I was wondering if the effexor would be effective(the next day) if i took it at night before bed?

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Mar 18 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #1877

BUSTie

QUOTE(jewelscando @ Mar 18 2008, 01:26 PM) *
Thanks Maggie for the information!! I'm still loving the TTO. It's worked wonders for me. No BV Symptoms what so ever.

Thanks for the thanks, but it was CanCan who actually found the link I was referring to. smile.gif
Hugs,
Maggie

+Quote Post
mg86
post Mar 18 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #1878

BUSTie

Hi everyone

Hope you all are doing well...does anyone else feel like they take a rediculous amount of pills every day?? I have recently bought some vitamins so daily I take: one multivitamin, one acidophilus, one fem doph, one rx essentials vitamin (just started trying these), my birth control, and my effexor. feels like so many! Almost feel like I need to get a weekly pill case or something! smile.gif

Anyway..I haven't actually started taking the fem doph regularly yet. I have a 30 day supply and I am hoping by the time I finish it I will see improvement. Regarding the tree tea oil...I saw someone mention the suppositories, are these the ones from iherb.com? If so, are they sufficient in the dosage amount (regarding the recently posted article about low doses)

I am feeling pretty discouraged lately..seems my BV is getting a little worse than usual..although I did go out drinking on Friday..maybe that has something to do with it...

+Quote Post
mg86
post Mar 18 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #1879

BUSTie

QUOTE(CanCan @ Mar 18 2008, 11:39 AM) *
I take one FemDophilus everyday, and it worked for me. I don't have smell or discharge anymore. And I've never taken Flagyl. Ever.

my fem doph just arrived from iherb the other day...how long did you have to take it before you saw improvement?

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 18 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #1880

QUOTE(jewelscando @ Mar 18 2008, 02:26 PM) *
Thanks Maggie for the information!! I'm still loving the TTO. It's worked wonders for me. No BV Symptoms what so ever.

TTO did nothing for me. I'm gonna do Flagyl and FemD bc it makes perfect sense. Do you still take TTO regularly or is your BV gone completely?

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 92 93 94 95 96 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
9 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 20, 2014 - 10:21 AM