“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
genghis cunt
post Nov 8 2010, 06:35 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

I just got fired from my job. Friday would have been my fourth month there.

I am mad because they never talked to me about any problems, but I am glad to go because of that lack of instructions. I was hired as entry level, yet I've received little training and feedback. I had to beg my supervisor for work, and she was always extremely cold to me. She interrupted every sentence I spoke. Most everyone there became irritated when I asked questions about how to do my job.

Sooooo I am going back to the place I worked before this job. The hours will suck, the work will be tough, and it's $9 a hour. But it's with people I like and a cause I love. So wish me luck, ladies!

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Oct 29 2010, 10:49 PM
Post #3

new highs in personal lows daily!

so... if i'm not mistaken i'm coming up on 2 years unemployed.

it's fucking weird.

i've been working for free half that time, but two f'ing years.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
DistrictLady
post Oct 25 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #4

I was (f)unemployed for 8 months so I feel you.
I tried to glamorize it and told myself that being caught up on Ellen and wearing PJs for days on end was actually fun.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone on here. I was so relieved when I finally got a job. and a job I love at that! I'm doing some work for Sunglass Hut and they have this fab new opportunity that might just be up someone's alley here. They're basically looking for a full-time fashion blogger to cover events and shows.
The perks that come with the job are seriously amazing - an apartment in NYC, monthly clothes budget, the chance to travel all over the world, and $100K.
I know it's not for everyone and I have my qualms with the fashion industry but if it's right for you, by all means APPLY!
Good luck

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Oct 6 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #5

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

Amusingly, I get a call for an interview the day before I got my first unemployment payment. I'm interviewing for a counseling/case management postion working with people who are transitioning back into the world after being in prison. I don't know much about the position other than that but it seems really interesting. A friend who used to volunteer where I worked really seems to have promoted me to her boss. Yay for that! biggrin.gif

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Sep 26 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Mmm, spammy.

Reported!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Sep 20 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #7

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

I just made my first-ever unemployment claim. I don't know if I qualify as my last job was a temp assignment but I figured there was no harm in trying. I can't imagine what it would be like to have no income coming in. School's over so I have no financial aid. I don't know what to expect. My job search is sloooooooow. No one is even returning my calls. Sigh, fingers crossed that this will all turn around soon.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
enfermera
post May 24 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

i've officially decided i need to move on from my job. like, badly. so, of course, all the job openings i was seeing six months ago, when i was just toying with the idea, are gone. and frankly, i've heard some rumors that the changes coming with the health care reform (i'm a nurse) are going to make us even more regulated and penalized for every facial twitch or whatever makes admin nervous, and i'm wondering if i should start looking into moving on all together. i have a hard time with bureaucratic bullshit. so, i guess i'm just asking for vibes, or prayers, or both, whatever your style is. SOMEDAY i have to find a job i actually like, right?

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jan 16 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi, I got this in my email and thought some might be interested around here - I shrank it so as not to take up all the space. If anyone wants the original, PM me your email addy I'll forward it to you:

A Job Opening! At Bitch!

Job Title: Art Director

Job Purpose:
The Art Director is responsible for creating and maintaining a cohesive look and feel for the Bitch Media brand, which includes the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, as well as a growing series of multimedia projects and programs. The ideal candidate is an innovative designer with an interest in pop culture and the desire to work with a nonprofit multimedia organization that values good design and a sense of wit. The Art Director reports to Bitch Medias Executive Director.

Job Responsibilities:

* Design and lay out each issue of Bitch magazine and guide it through the prepress process.
* Design and lay out all development materials (fundraising appeals, event posters, annual reports, interoffice forms, etc.)
* Collaborate closely with editorial/creative director in the development of art concepts for each issue of the magazine.
* Acquire all art for magazine from freelance illustrators and photographers, and work with photographers on creating and executing magazine covers.
* Design all advertising and sponsorship materials
* Design all graphics for merchandise
* Oversee the overall look and feel of the Bitch media website
* Archive all digital graphic files
* Oversee design interns and volunteers
* Attend weekly staff meeting (Tuesdays) and content meeting (Wednesdays)

Minimum Qualifications:
The Art Director should have at least a BA in graphic design or similar field (art, architecture, etc...), or the equivalent experience. Candidates will also have excellent verbal communication and collaboration skills, and a strong eye for/attention to detail. Experience with multiple-page document design, prepress, and two- and four-color printing is critical.

Design Skills:
Candidates for the position will have demonstrated skill in typography, magazine layout, two-color design, illustration and cover concepting, basic photography, and an understanding of editorial/design relationship.

Software:
Candidates should be fluent in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop (Mac platform). Bonus points for being skilled in (or at least on familiar terms with) HTML, CSS, and Drupal.

General Skills:
Were looking for someone whos very organized, highly motivated, able to see the big picture of a unified graphic identity, good at managing others, and able to work and communicate well with editors as well as other employees who will be commissioning design work for the organization.

Preferred, but not required:
A connection to feminism and a love of pop culture help immensely. (These are obviously broad concepts and can mean different things to different people, but a general interest in and concern about women in pop culture and society in general makes for a person who will care about the organization and its programs and content all the more.) And a sense of humor and good writing skills are both highly prized.

Schedule:
Part-time. 20-30 hours/week, plus quarterly full-time production hours (right before release of issue to the printer).

To Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least five samples of work, in hard copy, to:

Bitch Media
Attn: Executive Director
4930 NE 29th Avenue
Portland, OR 97211

Application packets must be postmarked by February 1, 2010.
PLEASE NOTE: Electronically submitted applications will not be reviewed.

**NO E-MAILS, PHONE CALLS OR DROP-INS PLEASE**

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 3 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #10

sassygrrl

QUOTE(spot-on @ Dec 3 2009, 05:26 AM) *
thanks Sassy & Anna, really happy with the decision and feel like it's the right one so that always helps.

Anna, that job sounds perfect for you! Fingers and everything crossed for you.

I need to make a business plan, decide on a name for the business then get some cards done and get a website up. So much to do. It's like starting over!

Spot-on, so good for you!

I found a really good circulation clerk at a local collge, but it would be 2 hours away. It sucks I don't drive. I'm still debating about applying. I wouldn't need a MLS, and that would be a plus.

Anna, parts crossed!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 3 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks Sassy & Anna, really happy with the decision and feel like it's the right one so that always helps.

Anna, that job sounds perfect for you! Fingers and everything crossed for you.

I need to make a business plan, decide on a name for the business then get some cards done and get a website up. So much to do. It's like starting over!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Dec 2 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

((((sassy)))))

I did get a response from someone at the film museum, but they're not hiring. They said to check back in a few months since they are planning to expand their facility, and there may be opportunities. It sounds promising, but I still want to keep in touch with them.

I also applied for a job that looked great, an assistant to the director of a film organization. It felt perfect for me, and I really want it.

Spot-on, I'm glad your husband supports you so much, and doesn't want to to just settle for anything, you have a lot of talent and intelligence and personality.

I ordered business cards on Monday, marketing myself as a "freelance film critic." The cards are nice, and since I've been going to more screenings lately, it'll be a lot of help with networking.

The book editor said she would keep me in mind, and also to contact human resources at her job. I will do that, and can use her name as a referral, so it feels more personal.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 2 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #13

sassygrrl

QUOTE(spot-on @ Dec 2 2009, 03:56 PM) *
So, I requalified as a personal trainer/fitness instructor and can't find a job sad.gif I applied at macys to work over the holidays and they contacted me yesterday left a message saying I can work on the jewelery counter in the evenings. I don't want evenings! Urgh. I talked it over with the man last night and he said not to take it, instead concentrate on what I want to do longterm and aim for that instead. I need to sit down and make a plan and maybe branch out on my own with personal training for the new year. That gives me 4 weeks to make a business plan, print ads, get business cards done etc. I also want to study more. Sitting down last night and just talking it over with my man really helped, he's inspired me NOT to settle for anything less than my passion (fitness). So I'm not.

Spot-on, good for talking with your man. I did that too the other night. Mcgeek told me to just keep focusing on the library jobs (as spare as they are right now) and something I enjoyed. I also forgot that I'm planning a wedding, and should probably focus more on that right now. I just miss having money. I heard back from a few of the jobs I applied for, and it was all rejection letters. I hate that!!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 2 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

So, I requalified as a personal trainer/fitness instructor and can't find a job sad.gif I applied at macys to work over the holidays and they contacted me yesterday left a message saying I can work on the jewelery counter in the evenings. I don't want evenings! Urgh. I talked it over with the man last night and he said not to take it, instead concentrate on what I want to do longterm and aim for that instead. I need to sit down and make a plan and maybe branch out on my own with personal training for the new year. That gives me 4 weeks to make a business plan, print ads, get business cards done etc. I also want to study more. Sitting down last night and just talking it over with my man really helped, he's inspired me NOT to settle for anything less than my passion (fitness). So I'm not.

+Quote Post
coffeebean
post Dec 2 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

(((sassy))) Sorry to hear about the job. I know that it would have helped in many domains of your life right now.

(((anna))) Good for you for still getting out there and doing what you love - even if it does involve the self-promoting part that can be annoying and frustrating.

+Quote Post
kari
post Dec 2 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

(((sassy))) I'm sorry to hear about the book store job. sad.gif

((anna)) Ugh. Frustrating. I think it is wonderful that you are doing so much writing! This will definitely help you in the future. Keep it up!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 1 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #17

sassygrrl

FUCK. Didn't get the book seller job.... sad.gif

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Dec 1 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #18

sassygrrl

I applied for a UPS pt job today, as well as this really cool indie bookstore about 20 minutes from home. I have no idea on either job. I also signed up for some freelancing sites as well. I just need some part time work for Christmas.

I'm also following up on some jobs a few weeks ago, but I think people are just drowning in everyone's cover letters and resumes. I hate that the disappear though!

Good luck everyone!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Nov 30 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I had contacted that family friend again about that interview, but she never heard back from them, so I think they just passed on my resume. It was just a receptionist job, but would have paid more than my current job.

I wrote follow-up emails today on some jobs I applied for two weeks ago, and got a response from one, telling me they were still going through resumes. I also have a couple of contacts at a film museum where I'd like to work, and wrote one email to one person last week, and wrote one today to another person today. I also wrote an acquaintance of mine who is a book editor about if there were editorial opportunities at her publisher, and to keep me in mind if anything comes up.

I hate doing all this self-promoting and hustling. I'm also going to a film screening for a small indie film this week to write about it and possibly interview the director, and just sent off some questions to a director for a small film I saw last week and am going to write about. I also have to get business cards made.

+Quote Post
kari
post Nov 5 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Anna, Ugh, I know. I feel like all my resumes & letters just disappear & nobody ever sees them. It stinks. BUT! I think you're right - now is one of the worst times ever to be a job hunter. I try to remind myself of that fact.

I think your family friend contact is the ticket. Gotta have a way to stand out & knowing someone is the best way to do that.

I just revised my resume yesterday and sent it to the informational interview person. She wrote me back & said she'll take a look at anything that could be improved & that she could send it to some of her colleagues next week. SUPER SWEET!

Sassy - I just did an interview yesterday for PT seasonal employment. I hope I get it. If you are considering doing it, you should act fast b/c I think they are all beginning the interviews & hiring right now.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 06:07 PM