18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Diva Cup versus The Keeper
babaluh
post Aug 27 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Hey Everyone!
Today is my first day using the Diva Cup, and I'm having some troubles. : (

I've followed all of the instructions, and throughout the day I've taught myself how to insert and remove the cup with a relative amount of ease. The problem is EVERY time I check myself to see how I'm doing there's leakage around the cup itself, when I pull it out theres basically nothing in the cup. :S

I feel way too tight to be able to do the 360 degree turn, but I can tell whether or not its open inside me by feeling around with one finger. It doesnt cause me any discomfort, and I feel like I'm inserting it right. I don't understand why there is leakage. Am I just not doing something right? Does the Diva cup just not work for some women? Is leakage common at first, or on the first couple days of your period? Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get easier with time?

I'm about to start a new job in Korea where they dont even sell tampons, so its somewhat of a pressing issue for me. I really want to make this work, not just for me but for the environment as well. Please help ladies!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nbdx0645
post Jun 24 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I got the Mooncup out early this morning. What a relief! I was trying to get it out unsuccessfully, and frustrated, I leaned far back on the toilet. This put it finally within reach! It took much convincing, but I got it out. I really want to try it again but I'm afraid that I won't be able to get it out again. I also needed my legs spread super far apart, and there's no way I can do that with pants on (at work.)

I feel like I should wear my mooncup like a dunce cap. sad.gif I just can't get the method down. Also, I really have to get used to touching my insides. Hah. I'll try again next cycle. I really hope I don't deter people from getting a menstrual cup. I'm not totally comfortable with my anatomy, so maybe this will get me more 'in touch' with my vagina.

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Jun 23 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

with both the diva cup and the ladycup, i had that period of panic the first time i tried to get it out and couldn't. it's so important to RELAX, as you've seen. it helps to relax your mouth, jaw, lips, as these tend to somehow be connected to muscle tension in your bottom. with the ladycup, i sit on the toilet with my legs wide apart, or stand in the shower with one leg propped up. i pinch the bottom and tug it down until i get a decent grip, and then i kind of fold it as i'm pulling it down farther. sometimes i need to slide a finger in to collapse the side and break the suction. i remember wanting to just pitch it after that first struggle, but it really does get much easier after just a time or two. good luck!

+Quote Post
nbdx0645
post Jun 23 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

While I'm relaxing, I went through the entire archive and copied most of the posts that talked about removal.

So I gave up for a while. But then I had a brainstorm, and tied a piece of narrow cloth ribbon VERY tightly to the stem. Voila. No more problems. Now I love it and it works just fine. The string lets me get it down to where I can reach the stem. I do boil it to keep the string situation from getting gross.

As far as pulling it out, it is uncomfortable for me to just yank it out. I have to push it out w/my muscles, pull a little w/my fingers and then fold it to pop the seal. Then it comes out easy.

yep, they do ride up a bit - I find it particularly happens when I'm sleeping. First just try to relax when you're going to take it out. Then, bear down with your PC muscles, and it should slip out a bit more...keep doing that, and don't get frustrated, it may take a few tries. If you need to, you can always squat in the tub to remove it, I know I did that a few times my first few cycles with the DC.
Also, I don't remove my DC *right* when I get out of bed in the morning...I'll pee, then walk the dog, and then come back in and empty it - by that time, the cup will have slid back down a bit from its nighttime position, and I can get it out a bit easier.

as per removal issues, the diva cup takes a lot of time (at least it did for me) to get used to. i think when i first got it i even cried to my partner to help me remove it! (hahahaha you can just imagine his reaction to that... we did end up getting out the flashlight. too funnY) anyhow- you have to get your fingers dirty, and push one side in (insert one finger on the side of it) to break the seal. you need to break the suction seal before pulling it out. when it is really full, it is easier to remove than when your period is light.

what I do is bear down until i feel the bottom sticking out. If it hasn't ridden up very far and the seal isn't uber-strong, i pinch the bottom while doing a kegel to break the suction. If that doesn't work/I feel the uterus-sucking action, I continue to bear down while sliding my finger up to break the seal (the back in most convenient for me, but whatever works. then I sort of just wrassle the thing out of there.

I stick a finger up there and just push the lip in a little so as not to squeeze the contents out. Then I just slide it out. Sometimes mine rides up deeper into me throughout the day and when I get home and go to remove it I have to sit there and relax for a few minutes to get it to come back down so my short stumpy fingers can reach it.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 23 2010, 04:31 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

I have a divacup, not moon cup but I always found their descriptions for removing them horrible. I know everyone has their own kind of style too so I think it just takes some figuring out to find which way works best for you. Personally, I cut off the whole stem and filed it down because it poked me no matter how small it was. The stem was never enough for me to pull it out anyway. I almost always change it at home or in a private bathroom so messiness hasn't been an issue. I basically grab the base, squeeze to break the suction (which can be bloody), and then yank it out and rinse.

Check back in the archives though because I'm sure this has been talked about before.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
nbdx0645
post Jun 23 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I bought a mooncup, and it's been inside me for 14 hours. I'm ready for it to come out, but it wants to become a permanent fixture inside my body. I've tried to pull down on the stem, grip the base and pull. I can't get a good grip on the stem. I tried inserting my finger right up to the top seal and tug it free. It unsticks, then resticks. I only cut off about half of the stem, and it felt like just enough to not rub against my inner folds.

When it comes out, I'm so tempted to just throw it in the goddamn trash bin. I had to leave work early because I started panicking. I really want it to work, but most importantly, IT NEEDS TO COME OUT. HELP.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jun 13 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I got the ladycup about 18 months ago and LOVE mine! Def recommend!

+Quote Post
archegonia
post Jun 11 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

lol, i just went from 333 friends on fb to 185 in a 'fit of minimizing'. feels good, if you cant find it, i'll know it was a casualty of purging. and i'm so cool with that.

--------------------
leashed only to the wind

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Jun 2 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

ARGH! archegonia, i've been looking for it, and can't find it. i seriously kept it for months hoping someone would want it, but now i'm wondering if i tossed it in a fit of "minimizing." i'll look again, but...ich.

+Quote Post
archegonia
post May 31 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

HAHA! suction your uterus out! i know!!!!

i'd love that discount code, thanks so much.

<3

--------------------
leashed only to the wind

+Quote Post
enfermera
post May 28 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

the ladycup does not have lines for measuring. and, because it's kind of squishier, it took me a while to get the hang of getting it out, but it's fine now. i can actually tug on the stem more than i could with the divacup without feeling like i'm going to suction my uterus out

i got mine from the ladycup website, and i still have the 15% discount code i mentioned below, if you're interested.

+Quote Post
archegonia
post May 28 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, ladycup sounds good from all of the reviews i've read.

it doesnt look like it has lines for measure on it, does it? that was one of my fave things about my divacup, i loved knowing if it was a half ounce or quarter. but its a small price for comfort i suppose...

--------------------
leashed only to the wind

+Quote Post
archegonia
post May 27 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks! the ladycup is sounding good. off to the internet...

--------------------
leashed only to the wind

+Quote Post
enfermera
post May 25 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

bump for archegonia

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Dec 10 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

i had a diva cup for a while but i, uh, well, i was boiling it to sterilize it, and forgot about it, and it burned. yuck. the ladycup is softer and more flexible (and comes in cool colors!); i'm looking forward to trying it out. and to being much more careful with it!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 10 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been using the ladycup for almost a year and LOVE it. Wouldn't go back to tampons now if you paid me!

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Dec 10 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

i just got a new ladycup in the mail (lilac!), and it came with a coupon code for 15% off my next order. pm me and it's yours--it's only good once smile.gif

+Quote Post
CarrieBradshaw
post Jun 26 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #18

BUSTie

i don't liek it

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jun 25 2009, 07:54 AM
Post #19

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

freckleface - I don't know enough about the scar tissue and other health issues to post a suggestion other than I don't think that ovaries should hurt. Sometimes mine get tender when palpated while ovulating but that is about it. I respect your fear about the procedure but if it is needed, talk to your doc about sedation. It might be the key.

As for the Cup, when I called the Keeper people, they told me that the whole turning thing didn't work and they didn't recommend it anymore. rolleyes.gif I don't know why it is on the instructions w/that being the case.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jun 24 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #20

beachcomber

ok, this cycle I've had mondo trouble inserting the diva cup right.
I mean like- 6+ times & I end up all sweaty & stressed out.
I can insert it, but it fails to fill out & stays collapsed & I am unable to 'turn it' as instructed so I take it out & start alll over again & again.
I didn't have this much trouble when I first started using it. mad.gif
however, and I don't know if anyone else has gone through this, but I'm kind of thinking there may be a problem w/ my right ovary.. I'm kinda scared to call my Dr right now about it too, but I've had some teribly bad pains in it lately and even when it wasn't hurting, the Cup was painful once or twice so I'm thinking That may be the issue rather than the Cup?

after the removal of my iud & the discovery of the cervical tear, my Dr had wanted me to do an endometrial scrape but I said 'No f'in way' bc I was scared of how much it might hurt.
now I'm considerably more scared but w. my anxiety (which was somewhat triggered by the expereince of getting the iud inserted & how badly it hurt) I honestly think I'd have to be heavily sedated in order to get through it. hell to even get me into the hospital where the clinics are.

I think I'm also having mini-hot flashes occassionally too- so maybe it's peri-meno? I'm 38 1/2 -
that would be Smashing! I cannot WAIT for the end of these reproducing years!!

= end long post w/ apologies=

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 07:55 PM