271 Pages V  « < 125 126 127 128 129 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
konphusion26
post Dec 5 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #2521

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jularee @ Dec 5 2007, 01:14 PM) *
I just wanted to share with you ladies a good website I found for purchasing meds online. It's http://www.easy.md/. I got my order in about 10 days and the website offers live customer support.

Thanks Jularee, I just ordered some flagyl -- i hope that it comes pretty quickly. Thanks for that information. You're an ANGEL! lol

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Dec 5 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #2522

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(bvg @ Dec 4 2007, 12:02 PM) *
okay here is where i am. after dealing with this for a year and trying flagyl, tindamax, clindesse, etc., the last few months i've been doing the primodophilus, oregano, b6, folic to no avail. friday i started a new probiotic powder that i dump into yogurt. this is also nature's way but it has 100 billion live cultures of acid, bifidus, rhamnous, etc(14 strains).I noticed a change in my discharge yesterday. went from being pale yellow to white creamy.

The same thing happened to me when I ate a Bio-K probiotic (it's like a watery sour yogurt - that has exta bacteria in it), and the container is little, so I ate the whole thing. But then I had a flare up with a lot of white creamy discharge, and I assumed it was the BV getting worse! But there wasn't a bad smell. And then it went away after a two days or so. I didn't know what was going on, so I called the company, and they told me as a first time user you should just take a tablespoon of it, and wait for your body to get used to it. Then everyday keep increasing how much you ingest, you can take half the container, or even eat the whole thing. The customer service woman also told me that when you first start taking the probiotic, because it is so strong, you will get a flare-up with more discharge - but that the discharge will only be bad for the first two or three days, then it will start getting better. That the discharge show you that the probiotic is working, and that the infection is being flushed out of your body. I don't know if this is true or not.. I'm just repeating what she told me. They sell these mini yogurts at Whole Foods, in the refridgerated probiotic section, so I will go buy some of them to try it again when I get a chance.

[ http://www.biokplus.com/ ]

+Quote Post
jularee
post Dec 5 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #2523

BUSTie

I just wanted to share with you ladies a good website I found for purchasing meds online. It's http://www.easy.md/. I got my order in about 10 days and the website offers live customer support.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Dec 5 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #2524

Hardcore BUSTie

How many of you ladies have tried making the boric acid capsules? I'm purchasing some powder and gel capsules right now. Any advice on using them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 4 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #2525

BUSTie

QUOTE(bvg @ Dec 4 2007, 12:02 PM) *
okay here is where i am. after dealing with this for a year and trying flagyl, tindamax, clindesse, etc., the last few months i've been doing the primodophilus, oregano, b6, folic to no avail. friday i started a new probiotic powder that i dump into yogurt. this is also nature's way but it has 100 billion live cultures of acid, bifidus, rhamnous, etc(14 strains).I noticed a change in my discharge yesterday. went from being pale yellow to white creamy.

went to the doc this morning, just from looking under the scope she said no yeast but the bv still looks like it is there. she is sending for a culture, should be back friday. so what she suggested is to do another round of oral flagyl and a 3 day cleocin suppos. when i finish the cleocin, start the boric acid suppos.

my problem in the past has actually been to get rid of it, not to have it go away with meds and then come back but to just get rid of it.

i just have discharge and itching, no smell.

what do you guys think....
i was thinking of finishing this course of probiotics which is 6 more days since i did see a change.

she also said to keep up the probs. while i was on her course of treatment.
and my last question is what do you think about having husbands treated (or if you are not married...partners). when i had this years ago one day it just up and went away w/o having my husband treated and actually i was not treating myself at the time.

thanks!

My symptoms are the same- discharge and pain and irritation but no smell. But my doctor(s) are divided. One says BV and the new one (this week) said yeast. I am going to try the boric acid next. Have you tried that yet?
I am wondering the same in regards to my husband- whether or not he should be treated. Although- I will say, my symptoms came back and we had NOT had intercourse. So...I am not sure we are truley passing it back and forth or if it just hasn't cleared up. sad.gif
Good luck to you hun.

--------------------
"Insanity is the only sane reaction to an insane society. -Thomas Szas

+Quote Post
bvg
post Dec 4 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #2526

BUSTie

went to the doc this morning, just from looking under the scope she said no yeast but the bv still looks like it is there. she is sending for a culture, should be back friday. so what she suggested is to do another round of oral flagyl and a 3 day cleocin suppos. when i finish the cleocin, start the boric acid suppos.

my problem in the past has actually been to get rid of it, not to have it go away with meds and then come back but to just get rid of it.

i just have discharge and itching, no smell.

what do you guys think....
i was thinking of finishing this course of probiotics which is 6 more days since i did see a change.

she also said to keep up the probs. while i was on her course of treatment.
and my last question is what do you think about having husbands treated (or if you are not married...partners). when i had this years ago one day it just up and went away w/o having my husband treated and actually i was not treating myself at the time.

thanks!

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 4 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #2527

BUSTie

Have any of you ladies heard of trying tea tree oil soap? I read something about this online and thought I'd ask. I also read that Oregeno capsules are a good anti-fungal for yeast. Anyone try this method?

--------------------

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Dec 3 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #2528

Hardcore BUSTie

OMG! My BV laughs at metrogel LOL I guess I'll have to just keep trying stuff. For some reason, (yuck) I'm bleeding again for the 3rd time since mid-november, so its kinda hard for me to use much of anything. I'll just have to suffer till it goes away. NO INSURANCE -- WOOOHOO. lol Anyway, I'm glad you're free of this monster! Good luck.

QUOTE(Lindsey @ Dec 3 2007, 02:29 AM) *
I got very lucky. I have just used the metrogel. It was my first time getting bv and I am hoping my last.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 3 2007, 02:03 PM
Post #2529

BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Dec 3 2007, 02:19 PM) *
He's a jerk! Of course antibiotics can cause both BV and yeast proliferation due to wiping out the good lactobacili! Did he ever pass Gynecology 101 in med school? I ran into some real winners like him, but luckily found two gyns (a male & a female) who say boric acid is more than fine to use for both types of infection. You could always just "go independent" & try the boric acid vaginally on your own. Are there other gynecology practices in your area?
Prayers,
Maggie

Not that I know of. I may have to 'go independent'. I am a little concerned because everything I read says recurrent or stubborn yeast infections AND/OR BV can be a sign of a repressed immune system. I had an HIV test 3 months ago...have been tested for all STDs....but I have to admit I am nervous. My father died of ALS and my mom has lupus and fibromaygia (sp) and I have thyroid problems in my family. I am thinking of self-treating with the boric acid and seeing a primary care for some bloodwork.

Thanks for all the advice Maggie. You are a blessing...as are all the strong women on this forum

--------------------

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Dec 3 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #2530

BUSTie

QUOTE(fbgirl987 @ Dec 3 2007, 11:39 AM) *
so frustrated.
I don't know what to do and am so discouraged. I feel like another dr is just randomly treating me with whatever they normally prescribe and not listening when i say THIS DIDNT WORK BEFORE.

PS I did ask about the boric acid suppositories and was advised against 'non-traditional treatments'...but helloo? Clearly their traditional methods arent working. mad.gif

He's a jerk! Of course antibiotics can cause both BV and yeast proliferation due to wiping out the good lactobacili! Did he ever pass Gynecology 101 in med school? I ran into some real winners like him, but luckily found two gyns (a male & a female) who say boric acid is more than fine to use for both types of infection. You could always just "go independent" & try the boric acid vaginally on your own. Are there other gynecology practices in your area?
Prayers,
Maggie

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 3 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #2531

BUSTie

so frustrated. sad.gif I went to the new GYN today. He looked over my records and said he thinks it was yeast to begin with, being that it was caused by antibiotics. He said 'BV doesn't just appear out of the blue' and asked if I had any new sex partners. I said no and that I had BV with my last pregnancy a few years ago and i understand it sometimes doesnt clear up and/or comes back. His response was that it was common in pregnant women but it doesnt just appear. I said can antibiotics cause it. He said NO. They cause YEAST. Long story short- I explained I tried Diflucan three times, Monistat, and then my old Dr said it was BV and gave me clindesse which I tried twice over the past two months. He did the exam...which was only visual being that I had my period. He said he can see 'white discharge'. I asked if that could be the cream used a week ago and he said 'it looks like yeast'.
He sent me home with a script for Tarezol. To be used every other day for a month. I almost cried. With the buring and discomfort I dont see myself using that for a month sad.gif
I don't know what to do and am so discouraged. I feel like another dr is just randomly treating me with whatever they normally prescribe and not listening when i say THIS DIDNT WORK BEFORE.

PS I did ask about the boric acid suppositories and was advised against 'non-traditional treatments'...but helloo? Clearly their traditional methods arent working. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lindsey
post Dec 3 2007, 01:12 AM
Post #2532

BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Dec 2 2007, 10:46 PM) *
Lindsey, what have you been using?????? I must know LOL I'm desperate.

I got very lucky. I have just used the metrogel. It was my first time getting bv and I am hoping my last.

--------------------
Leafy!

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Dec 2 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #2533

Hardcore BUSTie

Boric Acid (H3BO3) is made up of hydrogen atoms, oxygen, and boron. I just looked up boron and what it really is and it has beneficial properties like any other mineral; but like any other mineral, some people may be allergic to it. Or intolerant would be a more suitable word. For example, a lot of people may be fine with have a bit of boron in their body, but one out of a thousand (no idea what the number is) may have a reaction to it. Like me with sodium bromide. Most people are fine with it, it's used in hot tubs, so obviously it couldn't be bad for everyone. But I stepped into a hot tub one day, and had a reaction and got a rash all over my body which later turned into blisters, which I now have scarring from.

If anyone new is going to try boric acid, it will probably be fine, just use the amount you are supposed to, and don't over do it. And certainly don't use it if you are pregnant. When you try it, just use one capsule, and then wait at least 24 hours. A lot of reactions are delayed, you won't necessarily even react until much later. So be safe and just try it out and wait first to make sure. With my chemical intolerance for example, I got the rash more than 24 hours after the fact! The next day. It took me a while to figure out what gave it to me because it was a delayed reaction.

If anyone wants to read about boron, just google 'FDA boron' and it pulls up some interesting articles.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Dec 2 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #2534

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Lindsey @ Dec 2 2007, 01:48 AM) *
I have been free and clear from the bv for a good couple of weeks now! YEAH. Thank you all for your support and hope that everything goes well for you all. I check on here every couple days to see how everyone is doing.

Lindsey, what have you been using?????? I must know LOL I'm desperate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Dec 2 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #2535

BUSTie

QUOTE(fbgirl987 @ Dec 2 2007, 10:44 PM) *
How would i Know if i am allergic to Sulpher? I dont think I am....any usual meds with sulpher, etc??

The following are food sources of sulphur. If they don't bother you, and if Sulfa-type antibiotics e.g., Septra & Bactrim, don't bother you, you probably are safe. Also, most salad bars use sulphites as preservatives & if you haven't had a reaction after eating from a salad bar, you probably don't have an allergy to sulfur (I spell it sulphur--the chemist's way). You could try going about the use of boric acid slowly--just one at night & see how you react for 24 hours before using the next one.

Food Sources of Sulfur: Dried beans, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, dairy products, eggs, fish, garlic, horseradish, kale, legumes, meats, onions, soybeans, wheat germ, turnips, poultry. Garlic is a major source.

Best wishes!
Maggie

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 2 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #2536

BUSTie

For those of you on the yogurt...I found these Dannon yogurt drinks at the grocery store and thought I'd share the info. They are called DanActive and have the active cultures L.Bulgaricus and L. Casei Immunitas. You may know about them but for those who dont- though I'd pass it along.
They are easy to drink on the go and hopefully have an extra punch of active cultures in them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 2 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #2537

BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Dec 2 2007, 03:49 PM) *
I think you should reschedule your appointment if you want any swabs or cultures. But keep in mind both are pretty inaccurate when it comes to differentiating yeast species. You might think about keeping the appointment & just go in to discuss what you've learned regarding boric acid, etc. Keep in mind you can have BV and yeast infections at the same time. Arm yourself with these facts from Elizabeth Stewart, M.D., a world-renown gynecologist:

1.)Most women expect to see a cottage-cheese-like discharge, but in fact vaginal discharge is not always present or is often minimal; even if it is profuse, it doesn't always have a telltale curdlike texture. This discharge may vary from watery to uniformly thick. Vaginal soreness, irritation, vulvar burning, pain with intercourse, and burning when the urine touches the vulva are common. Odor is not a usual complaint, though candida causes a yeasty smell for some women.

2.)A yeast infection is, in many cases, identified by performing an examination of the vaginal discharge under a microscope to detect the presence of yeast stems (hyphae). If hyphae are seen, the diagnosis is plain, and often no further testing needs to be done if the pH and whiff tests are normal. (If these tests are abnormal, there is probably a mixed infection, with trichomonas or bacterial vaginosis present as well.)

3.)Remember too that simply looking through the vaginal speculum at the vaginal discharge to diagnose yeast is outdated and inaccurate. A yeast culture is done on a special medium called Sabouraud's medium; this is different from a vaginal culture for bacteria. Routine bacterial cultures are seldom helpful because they grow a lot of bacteria that are normally found in the vagina: strep, staph, gardnerella, and E. coli.

4.)Microscopy is only about 40 percent accurate.

Once I discussed all the above with my dear-departed gyn (who had no way to do a Sabourand's medium culture), he said "Well, why not do an empirical test--try the boric acid for 14 days & see how things feel." And it worked great for me. But keep in mind what Jewels has said about sulpha/sulphur allergies. Boric acid is synthesized using a sulphur compound.
Hugs,
Maggie

Thanks for the info...so if my previous doc just looked under the scope and didnt culture anything- he may not even know what he is treating?? They told me he didnt culture the sample when I called for results after the second return of symptoms.
I plan to just talk to this new Dr tomorrow. Explain everything. How would i Know if i am allergic to Sulpher? I dont think I am....any usual meds with sulpher, etc??

Thanks again for ALL the info. I am waiting on the Boric Acid suppositories...

--------------------

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Dec 2 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #2538

BUSTie

QUOTE(fbgirl987 @ Dec 2 2007, 10:45 AM) *
I got my period. UGH.
Question- Will this affect my doctors appt tomorrow??? Can I still go?? Can he still do cultures, etc?

sad.gif

figures.

I think you should reschedule your appointment if you want any swabs or cultures. But keep in mind both are pretty inaccurate when it comes to differentiating yeast species. You might think about keeping the appointment & just go in to discuss what you've learned regarding boric acid, etc. Keep in mind you can have BV and yeast infections at the same time. Arm yourself with these facts from Elizabeth Stewart, M.D., a world-renown gynecologist:

1.)Most women expect to see a cottage-cheese-like discharge, but in fact vaginal discharge is not always present or is often minimal; even if it is profuse, it doesn't always have a telltale curdlike texture. This discharge may vary from watery to uniformly thick. Vaginal soreness, irritation, vulvar burning, pain with intercourse, and burning when the urine touches the vulva are common. Odor is not a usual complaint, though candida causes a yeasty smell for some women.

2.)A yeast infection is, in many cases, identified by performing an examination of the vaginal discharge under a microscope to detect the presence of yeast stems (hyphae). If hyphae are seen, the diagnosis is plain, and often no further testing needs to be done if the pH and whiff tests are normal. (If these tests are abnormal, there is probably a mixed infection, with trichomonas or bacterial vaginosis present as well.)

3.)Remember too that simply looking through the vaginal speculum at the vaginal discharge to diagnose yeast is outdated and inaccurate. A yeast culture is done on a special medium called Sabouraud's medium; this is different from a vaginal culture for bacteria. Routine bacterial cultures are seldom helpful because they grow a lot of bacteria that are normally found in the vagina: strep, staph, gardnerella, and E. coli.

4.)Microscopy is only about 40 percent accurate.

Once I discussed all the above with my dear-departed gyn (who had no way to do a Sabourand's medium culture), he said "Well, why not do an empirical test--try the boric acid for 14 days & see how things feel." And it worked great for me. But keep in mind what Jewels has said about sulpha/sulphur allergies. Boric acid is synthesized using a sulphur compound.
Hugs,
Maggie

+Quote Post
fbgirl987
post Dec 2 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #2539

BUSTie

I got my period. UGH.
Question- Will this affect my doctors appt tomorrow??? Can I still go?? Can he still do cultures, etc?

sad.gif

figures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Dec 2 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #2540

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(chantelhugo @ Dec 2 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Anyone here taking Lacto. Reurti and having success with it?? Is it worth a shot??

I think the Reuteri is working really well for me. I'm even putting it in vaginally every night now in a cap (but just a tiny bit of it). Or maybe it is a combination of a few things I am doing. I would definitely try it, or take the Femdophilus. Hey, what the heck, we all had this stupid infection for so long, why not try it!

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 125 126 127 128 129 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 22, 2014 - 04:25 PM