271 Pages V  « < 189 190 191 192 193 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
mfc10
post May 10 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #3801

BUSTie

QUOTE(Morphia @ May 10 2007, 01:45 AM) *
I've been seeing an obgyn and I've been tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Both came back negative. I got the affirm test (better than wet prep) for yeast, bv, and trich and the only thing that came back positive was bv. I know there is nothing else going on with me. I'm also on Diflucan for yeast prevention. I'm telling you, I know the Flagyl won't work. If there is anything additional going on with me it lies in my hormones or my immune system. As I've said, I suspect I've had this problem for over a year. Maybe even years! There's no telling what kind of Herculean microbe I'm battling here.

The Affirm test missed both a case of BV and yeast which my gyn then FOUND using a wet prep slide. You have to have a gyn who actually is skillful at reading the latter. Also--Diflucan is effective against Candida Albicans yeast, but has little, if any, effect on Candida Glabrata , Candida Tropicalis, etc. species of yeast. I still vote that you have yeast. Burning is always a red flag for it.

Maggie C.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfc10
post May 10 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #3802

BUSTie

QUOTE(Morphia @ May 10 2007, 12:12 AM) *
Well, I don't think the Flagyl is going to work. I'm pretty sure its not. I'm on my third day and I still feel the exact same burn. And I know its not yeast from the meds. From what I've read here it seems that you ladies have bv infections that go away with antibiotics but then they come back. Has anyone ever had one or is currently dealing with one that will just NOT go away AT ALL? As in one constant infection that is resistant to all antibiotics? I know this is only my second treatment but my intuition is telling me that this fucker isn't going anywhere. No matter what I throw at it. And we all know about women's intuition.

EXACTLY what happened to me 2 years ago---terrible, unrelenting burning. If ONLY I had discovered boric acid then. It will kill both any BV PLUS ANY SPECIES of Candida/yeast you may have. And I still think you have yeast, despite your doctor's recent test. Most tests are not sensitive enough to pick up some of the less-common species of Candida yeast. Get some Yeast Arrest online, or obtain boric acid powder, empty capsules and make up your own to insert (DO NOT TAKE BORIC ACID ORALLY!). Or, ask your doctor to call in a Rx to a compounding pharmacy (if there is one in your area). I will forever be greatful that I FINALLY tried this, after countless other measures. Even though it's an acid--it didn't make my vaginal burning worse,
and after about a week of nightly use, the burning finally wore off. wink.gif
Get better soon,

maggie c.

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post May 10 2007, 03:19 AM
Post #3803

BUSTie

AGAIN, like I stated to cover up the smell that she is experiencing is what she was talking about. I did not say that the "pads" were a solution to her problem. Did not say that and like I stated before it helped to mask the smell only and that is what WORKED for me. The pad thing was a temporary thing not to confuse it with getting the right product although like I stated it may cause problems and irritation LIKE I stated it was "soemthing" I used to MASK the smell. If you read more into what I stated I told her to go panti less. Make no mistake about it.

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
lori
post May 10 2007, 01:05 AM
Post #3804

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 9 2007, 10:27 PM) *
VAGINA'S need to BREATH!!!! Wearing "Pads" while you have B.V. is just trouble waiting to happen, especially if you already have issues with sweating down in that area!!

This is just an alternate opinion, but I'm pro-panty-iners when you're having a lot of discharge. You want ventilation because you don't want any moisture trapped in that area - and panty liners are very absorbent, and helps keep that area dry.

Of course the best way to air out your kitty is to go commando! But if that's not an option, I recommend panty liners.

QUOTE(peachcup @ May 9 2007, 11:59 PM) *
Again, I apologize... Sorry.

Welcome peachcup! No need to apologize, we are here to help each other out. I do think a compendium of suggestions is a good idea - a quick reference guide.

Anyway, Jewelscando already sort of answered your question:
QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 9 2007, 10:27 PM) *
From my knowledge on this board, there's been two things that have taken it away. Flagyl vaginally and the Estroil.

Actually, I've been saying that Fem-Dophilus has been working for me, over several posts. (Read my detailed post on that here.) But let me make my case again:

- Based on my research, the reason BV recurs is because the antibiotics (flagyl, clindamycin) kill the bad (anaerobic) bacteria, but also kill the good (lactobacillus) bacteria. Vicious cycle begins. And as most of you know, the lack of the good bacteria is one of the reasons why we get yeast infections after taking the antibiotics.
- So logic follows that we need to do something to replace the good bacteria - which should help prevent both BV and yeast (which is no fun, either). And Fem-Dophilus is one of the only products designed to do this for your vagina.
- Also based on my experience - you need to take the specific type of lactobacillus for your problem. So just any kind of lactobacillus supplements won't necessarily help.

I think Fem-Dophilus is the best, safest solution out there. It's expensive, it's hard to find, but it works for me.

-- Anyways ...

I've read most of this thread by now. Here are some things that other ladies have tried:

- hydrogen peroxide douche/wash - Some ladies do this after sex. I've tried it, and it seemed to help, but my doctor told me that commercial grade peroxide breaks down tissue, so it's best not to do it.

- jamu stick

- boric acid capsules - Seemed to work, but the symptoms came back when you stopped using it; at least one lady got a bad skin rash

- Yeast Arrest - Capsules which contain boric acid, among other stuff

- flagyl (inserted vaginally) - I have to say, this scares me. But it apparently works for some ladies.

- Estroil

- RePhresh

Please feel free to add to the list!

So peachcup, if you like, go ahead read the thread and learn what you can from the experiences of others. But I've read the thread, NONE of these solutions are really a cure. At best, they keep your symptoms at bay.

I haven't read anything about oral sex or shaving contributing to BV, does anyone know about that?

Actually, I think receiving oral or giving oral before penetration is something that can contribute to BV. The germs in the mouth making contact with the vagina can upset the balance ... etc.

Don't know about shaving, though. I would think it doesn't matter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
peachcup
post May 10 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #3805

QUOTE(Morphia @ May 10 2007, 03:08 AM) *
Everyone else had to do it this way. Its just that these women have repeated themselves so many times the thought of doing so again drives them up the wall. It would benefit you and everyone else here if you just read the whole thread. I made damn sure I read it before I ever posted. It took me 2 or 3 days almost straight. But I did it. And I learned a lot. You will too.

Thanks for putting me in my place smile.gif

I understand.

I am just angry that there is not a doctor who can say "here you go, a pill, you will be fine, don't do this and this and this anymore. eat this and this and this. be healthy!" And I know all of you probably feel the same way.

I haven't read anything about oral sex or shaving contributing to BV, does anyone know about that?

+Quote Post
Morphia
post May 10 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #3806

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(peachcup @ May 10 2007, 01:59 AM) *
Alright. I'll do it the hard way. But I will take notes so that we can have easier reference material.

Mmm... and I would like to apologize for how harsh I have been sounding. I have been researching this for a couple hours straight and I thought I hit a gold mine, but here is just as jumbled as everything else. I would think you were here to help each other, not send each other down the hard road you had to take yourselves.

Everyone else had to do it this way. Its just that these women have repeated themselves so many times the thought of doing so again drives them up the wall. It would benefit you and everyone else here if you just read the whole thread. I made damn sure I read it before I ever posted. It took me 2 or 3 days almost straight. But I did it. And I learned a lot. You will too.

+Quote Post
peachcup
post May 10 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #3807

QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 10 2007, 02:52 AM) *
Peachcup. You need to read. Go through the archives and you will see the different things we have tried.

Alright. I'll do it the hard way. But I will take notes so that we can have easier reference material.

Mmm... and I would like to apologize for how harsh I have been sounding. I have been researching this for a couple hours straight and I thought I hit a gold mine, but here is just as jumbled as everything else. I would think you were here to help each other, not send each other down the hard road you had to take yourselves.

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post May 10 2007, 12:35 AM
Post #3808

Hardcore BUSTie

Peachcup. You need to read. Go through the archives and you will see the different things we have tried.

+Quote Post
peachcup
post May 10 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #3809

QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 10 2007, 02:35 AM) *
Well, then go back to the doctor then. There's alot of different meds, besides Flagyl.

One of the biggest things we have all learned that it's not all about getting rid of the problem it's preventing the problem. B.V. is on going. For us it is atleast. And because of that, we need to do what's called "PREVENTATIVE". It may take some time for you to figure out what you may need to start avoiding, in order to stay on top of this. I know what I need to do, but that may not be the same for you. Learning about B.V. is a full time job. It takes time, and patience, to figure out what's causing your B.V. to return, and MOST OF ALL, what works for you to keep it away.

If you don't mind me asking, what works for you?
Out of all the women here, out of all the different doctors we have each gone to, I would expect some cure. Or at least a list of things to do to keep it away, instead of just stopping doing one thing and another and then hoping it won't come back. All the work each one of us is doing... shouldn't that be the job of the doctors and the scientists?

+Quote Post
Morphia
post May 10 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #3810

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 10 2007, 01:35 AM) *
Well, then go back to the doctor then. There's alot of different meds, besides Flagyl.

One of the biggest things we have all learned that it's not all about getting rid of the problem it's preventing the problem. B.V. is on going. For us it is atleast. And because of that, we need to do what's called "PREVENTATIVE". It may take some time for you to figure out what you may need to start avoiding, in order to stay on top of this. I know what I need to do, but that may not be the same for you. Learning about B.V. is a full time job. It takes time, and patience, to figure out what's causing your B.V. to return, and MOST OF ALL, what works for you to keep it away.

I agree with you whole heartedly. Its just that I can't do anything preventative until it actually goes away. lol. I've read this entire thread from post one to now and I've applied everything I've learned that doesn't involve sticking anything unprescribed in my snatch. =P I've even been using ideas that I got from other threads. I'll be convinced that this bitch is gone when the burning stops and when I stop finding "bleached" spots in my undies. I swear, if I wear colored underwear the discharge (what little my dried up vag can actually produce) dries so white it looks like I sprinkled a couple of drops of bleach on there.

+Quote Post
peachcup
post May 10 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #3811

QUOTE(arj75 @ May 7 2007, 08:55 AM) *
I was wondering what any of us have in common as far as our diets, body chemistry, health history, and any medications that you have taken in the past..including drug use. Also, if anyone cares to share their sexual habits as far as how often you have intercourse, and is it rough sex or not. I'm going today to buy some ph test strips to monitor my urine ph...I know it is higher than most healthy people the past three times I have had it done. I seems like that my body temperature is usually below normal because I'm always cold. Do any of you experience that? I'm gonna go buy a nutriction book today, I'm hoping that if I can balance my body ph through diet, that it might help my vagina have an easier time keeping itself balanced. Since my urine ph is high, which means it has a lot of amonia in it..the body uses it as a buffer so the urine isn't as acidic and doesn't burn...might be making my kitty more basic too. Maybe we should rinse with water after peeing (just the outside area)? This is my new theory, I'm gonna keep a journal for my doctor of my diet, body temperature, and urine ph. (hoping he will give a shit). I quit taking baths too , it hasn't helped the bv from reoccurring.

I am also always cold. I probably don't eat as much as I should (not in the morning at least, I eat when I get faint, I just don't notice until then, then I eat a lot.) I smoke pot occasionally, very occasionally, maybe once a month. I have sex... maybe 5 times a month recently, only one person. I don't think sex is the cause of it for me, because I had it before I'd ever had sex, and I got it again but I was using a condom then. Now I am on the nuvaring, but just recently, but maybe it has had an affect. I also have a skin condition on my chest and in my pubic area, I forget at the moment what its called, but my doctor said it was unrelated, but that's when I told him I had a yeast infection (because that's what I thought it was).

What doctors or scientists or medical students are doing research about BV? They really should know more about it.
When I talk to my doctor, or a gynecologist, I will report back. I hope I am not rambling too much?

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post May 10 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #3812

Hardcore BUSTie

+Quote Post
peachcup
post May 9 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #3813

I just signed up for this thread. maybe its cheating to ask for a summary, but I am overwhelmed by all the information I have been collecting about BV in the past few days.

When I first got it I thought it was a yeast infection, so I told my doctor so, he just told me to take over-the-counter stuff, didn't even look or anything. (it might be because I am only 16 and I know him personally, oh yeah, and I was on my period).

The symptoms did go away, but it just came back again and I tried another brand of the meds he suggested, and it went away again for a bit. But its come back. And now I have done more research and it sounds a lot more like BV than a Yeast Infection. Yeast infections don't have that awful smell....

I am of course going to go to my doctor again and get it diagnosed and prescriptions and his advice. But I am worried, because it sounds like these drugs are a lot more dangerous, and no garentee of success. I have read many stories of women trying one medication after another, and it just comes back. I'm not on health insurance, and my mom is getting sick of the expense.

I would think you are the best people to ask... what has worked, what does not work? I know that it is different for all of us, they don't even know what really causes it. But something is the same, it keeps coming back, its annoying, it strains relationships, its hard to talk about, and a lot of women have this problem!

What medications should i ask for prescriptions for? You guys are the experts. I hope you can help me.

I'm trying to stop eating stuff with yeast in it (just recently), I stopped using perfumed soap a long time ago, I eat lots of yogurt, I wear cotton underwear, I wipe front to back... What the hell is causing this? I had it before I ever had sex, and its not even supposed to be caused by sex! Why would we be designed that way?

God's way of enforcing abstinence? lol

+Quote Post
Morphia
post May 9 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #3814

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(jewelscando @ May 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
LADIES.....

We are discussing B.V. here, NOT DRUG USE. Not trying to be a bitch, but also not interested in your personal drug problems either.

VAGINA'S need to BREATH!!!! Wearing "Pads" while you have B.V. is just trouble waiting to happen, especially if you already have issues with sweating down in that area!! This is why they tell woman NOT to wear Thongs, as it does NOT allow enough air flow through that area!! Not to wear TIGHT jeans for that same reason.

Morphia, you need to give the medication a chance, and you should also be treating yourself for a yeast infection as well. Flagyl WILL give you a yeast infection.

It sounds to me like you have a bad case of something, wether it be B.V. or Yeast, who knows. I think you might want to consider changing doctors and go to one who specializes in Woman issues. More tests should have been done on you, being that you are experiencing so much pain. I PERSONALLY have NEVER had pain associated with B.V. Not saying that it's not possible, BUT, it sounds to me like you have more then B.V. going on up there.

Those of us who have been on this board for over a year, have had B.V. for YEARS. This is why we joined the board to help each other find solutions to this horrible problem, that doctors don't seem to have an answer for. You have to do what works for you. What worked for me is the Flagyl pill put in vaginally. YOU CANNOT DO THIS, because of the pain you are in, unless you want more pain. You don't want to be raw, or burning, when putting the Flagyl in vaginally, being that, IT WAS NOT MADE TO GO THERE. It just happens to work for me.

If you read the archives, you will see the LIST AND LIST of what we all have tried. From my knowledge on this board, there's been two things that have taken it away. Flagyl vaginally and the Estroil. We all have tried EVERYTHING under the sun, to just have it return again. That is why they call it re-occuring Bacterial Vaginosis. It keeps coming back. So, continue taking the flagyl orally, and find another doctor to see if you have other issues going on. That's just my opinion.

I've been seeing an obgyn and I've been tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia. Both came back negative. I got the affirm test (better than wet prep) for yeast, bv, and trich and the only thing that came back positive was bv. I know there is nothing else going on with me. I'm also on Diflucan for yeast prevention. I'm telling you, I know the Flagyl won't work. If there is anything additional going on with me it lies in my hormones or my immune system. As I've said, I suspect I've had this problem for over a year. Maybe even years! There's no telling what kind of Herculean microbe I'm battling here.

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post May 9 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #3815

Hardcore BUSTie

LADIES.....

We are discussing B.V. here, NOT DRUG USE. Not trying to be a bitch, but also not interested in your personal drug problems either.

VAGINA'S need to BREATH!!!! Wearing "Pads" while you have B.V. is just trouble waiting to happen, especially if you already have issues with sweating down in that area!! This is why they tell woman NOT to wear Thongs, as it does NOT allow enough air flow through that area!! Not to wear TIGHT jeans for that same reason.

Morphia, you need to give the medication a chance, and you should also be treating yourself for a yeast infection as well. Flagyl WILL give you a yeast infection.

It sounds to me like you have a bad case of something, wether it be B.V. or Yeast, who knows. I think you might want to consider changing doctors and go to one who specializes in Woman issues. More tests should have been done on you, being that you are experiencing so much pain. I PERSONALLY have NEVER had pain associated with B.V. Not saying that it's not possible, BUT, it sounds to me like you have more then B.V. going on up there.

Those of us who have been on this board for over a year, have had B.V. for YEARS. This is why we joined the board to help each other find solutions to this horrible problem, that doctors don't seem to have an answer for. You have to do what works for you. What worked for me is the Flagyl pill put in vaginally. YOU CANNOT DO THIS, because of the pain you are in, unless you want more pain. You don't want to be raw, or burning, when putting the Flagyl in vaginally, being that, IT WAS NOT MADE TO GO THERE. It just happens to work for me.

If you read the archives, you will see the LIST AND LIST of what we all have tried. From my knowledge on this board, there's been two things that have taken it away. Flagyl vaginally and the Estroil. We all have tried EVERYTHING under the sun, to just have it return again. That is why they call it re-occuring Bacterial Vaginosis. It keeps coming back. So, continue taking the flagyl orally, and find another doctor to see if you have other issues going on. That's just my opinion.

+Quote Post
Morphia
post May 9 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #3816

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I don't think the Flagyl is going to work. I'm pretty sure its not. I'm on my third day and I still feel the exact same burn. And I know its not yeast from the meds. From what I've read here it seems that you ladies have bv infections that go away with antibiotics but then they come back. Has anyone ever had one or is currently dealing with one that will just NOT go away AT ALL? As in one constant infection that is resistant to all antibiotics? I know this is only my second treatment but my intuition is telling me that this fucker isn't going anywhere. No matter what I throw at it. And we all know about women's intuition.

+Quote Post
arj75
post May 9 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #3817

Hardcore BUSTie

Ilovehim I'm so sorry that your feeling the way you are. I'm on prozac, and it isn't helping but the doctor says it could take four to six weeks for any results. I have read a lot today on research that has been done regarding to bv, stress has shown to be a factor, I'm sorry I don't remember the link, and I was all over the place online today. Of course you know I don't save my search history someone might find out. So my plan of attack is I'm gonna shove a tampon up me when I stink (I'm stinking) and not let it stress me out.

I stink REAL bad after an aniexty attack, it's actually caused it to come back on countless occasions. You should continue to take vitamins, it could take longer than we think for our bodies to get back in check and balance everything out. I nursed my son, had a terrible stressful pregnantcy, and it drained everything out of my body. Which is why I think I can't get rid of this now.

I'm hoping that I can sleep tonight, I"m not sure how many days I have been up..my friend gave me a zanax hope it works..
Take Care you all!

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post May 9 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #3818

BUSTie

QUOTE(ilovehim @ May 9 2007, 06:19 PM) *
What up.. what up?

Well for me, BV is getting worse everyday. I need to stop smoking weed. It makes me too paranoid. I keep getting these wierd mixed messages from people. Saying that i need to freshen up. Obviously they think i'm stinky sally =(. It's all just too devastating for me.

In all reality, I think i'm the cleanest girl there is. I probably over due it. But hey what can you do when this gets the best of you?

Anyways, What things can I do to stay fresh longer ?
I always change my toilet paper "pantiliner" often. less 2 hours. I think i sweat too much down there it's almost always BURNING, especially after sex. I use body wash, perfume, and body mists. But they only last a little bit.

My depression is getting worse again. I feel dirty and nasty, and hate myself. I'm gonna get put on anti-depressants soo. The appointment is on FRIDAY. Do any of you take or have taken this type of medicine?

Good evening ilovehim... smile.gif

I am sure you know that drugs are not good for you so I really won't comment on that too much. What I suggest you do to mask the smell is to wear a pad. Not a pantiliner(because the thickness in the pad helped to mask the smell of bv at least in my case it helped greatly). I would buy a pack of 48 stay free maxi pads to last me for about a month and use them religiously. I also used the deodorant ones( I would not suggest any one to use any deodorant pads and or pantiliners but in this case you may want to consider using them once a day or if the smell cannot be masked well with just the non-deodorant ones).Stop using any perfumes and feminine sprays down there. Again, I should stress that anything deodorant down there can and or may cause irritation which can lead to a bad smell and or make the bv smell worse. So try to use just the non deodorant maxi pads and change them very often. See if that helps. A big hassle but I did it for three years could not remember a day without using them like crazy (even when I am not on my period it was a big hassle). Currently, I am doing well. I also suggest you go panti less around the house or what have you( when you feel comfortable and no one can cause you to feel bad because of the smell) you should do this to get as much air down there and also it gives you a break from always having to keep your legs closed tight(because of the fear that someone will smell you) and basically feeling free(since no one is around to smell anything). I know this all may sound like a lot to you but I lived it. I know it is easier said than done when I say that you should not feel dirty about yourself and believe me when I say that I too am a very very clean person but try to develop a positive attitude about what you are going through. Just make it a point to change things in your life that may be contributing to your bv and also finding a product that works for you(an endless cycle but who else is going to do it(but you)). We can all tell you and suggest to you what works for us but it is up to you to decide to try this product or that product and use this board as a guide to get to that point. If your doctor can help you that is great but if not (like many of us on here) keep on searching and researching and use the trial and error system. As far as the depression. My advice to you about that is ask yourself are you depressed because of bv or are you just experiencing the basic emotional affects of dealing with bv(because we all are). If you already suffer from depression then yes you should go see him and keep that appointment and let him evaluate you based on much more than having bv. Yes I do believe that bv can contribute to making your depression harder but to what degree does it add to your depression and or does that cause the need for medicine and or maybe just in need of a therapist to talk to you. Ask your doctor. Be sure to be very open with him so you can get the proper help you need with the correct method.

Hang in there...

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
ilovehim
post May 9 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #3819

BUSTie

What up.. what up?

Well for me, BV is getting worse everyday. I need to stop smoking weed. It makes me too paranoid. I keep getting these wierd mixed messages from people. Saying that i need to freshen up. Obviously they think i'm stinky sally =(. It's all just too devastating for me.

In all reality, I think i'm the cleanest girl there is. I probably over due it. But hey what can you do when this gets the best of you?

Anyways, What things can I do to stay fresh longer ?
I always change my toilet paper "pantiliner" often. less 2 hours. I think i sweat too much down there it's almost always BURNING, especially after sex. I use body wash, perfume, and body mists. But they only last a little bit.

My depression is getting worse again. I feel dirty and nasty, and hate myself. I'm gonna get put on anti-depressants soo. The appointment is on FRIDAY. Do any of you take or have taken this type of medicine?

--------------------
[font="Garamond"][/font][size="2"][/size]&hearts; Yours Truly...

+Quote Post
arj75
post May 9 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #3820

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone contacted Dr. Klebanoff? He is conducting research currently regarding bv. I have his email if anyone is interested..I'm not sure if he would even reply....

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 189 190 191 192 193 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 05:02 PM