The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> caught by the fuzz: to shave or not to shave
pepper
post May 18 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #21

I've never heard anyone who isn't selling the waxing treatments say that they've actually seen a marked difference in hair growth from waxing over time. I just don't believe it, that it makes it grow back thinner and lighter. Mine certainly never changed! That said, there is some hair that just won't grow back at all on my shins but it isn't enough to make any sort of difference, I still have to shave the rest of the hairs.

I've been plucking the worst of the 'stache, it's comes back in 2-3 hairs at a time so as long as I take a look at it daily it's managable this way. Waxing gives me major breakouts there and the pluck is not very painful and doesn't freak out my skin.
The chin however... sigh. Laser is the future for sure. Every hair plucked comes out in a lumpy ingrown every.single.time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lux
post May 18 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #22

BUSTie

As far as i understood it's supposed to affect the colour of the follicle, but i'm not sure. I don't have the money to do it now, so i'll just stick with shaving and waxing.

I usually shave of most, but i wouldn't want all of that away permanently. I how ever would love to get rid of the "side-burns". Shaving is ok otherwise, but i get a lot of irritation and ingrown hair from the crease of my underwear. I don't like the bushy feel when it's all grown out, but at the same i think it's ok with stubble, because the fact is that i'm grown up and that means a hairy pussy. I think it's just something i should be able to live with. One of the reasons i don't want to get rid of the hair all together is, that it is completely normal for kids to see their parents naked here. I think it would be a disservice for my possible future daughter if i'm completely hairless and one day she will not be. I don't think that would be a bit awkward. I remember being pist off at the fact that my own mother had so little hair on her legs, while mine never seemed to stop growing. Maybe i'll get there with 20 more years of waxing.

On the side note: how long is it supposed to take for hair to get thinner on the areas you wax regularly? 10+ years of waxing my legs had a minimal effect. This is why can't be bothered to pay for a bikiniwax.

+Quote Post
zoya
post May 18 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #23

uh huh.

QUOTE(angie_21 @ May 17 2010, 05:06 PM) *
zoya, how much was the upper lip??

I bought a package, if you paid in advance for 6 treatments, it was way cheaper than doing it separately. It was something like $450 for six treatments (it might have been a little less) - one each month for 6 months. I had to suck it up monetarily, but it was worth it, cause I got to do it consistently and it did turn out to be a lot less in the long run.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post May 17 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

lux, I think if this spray actually somehow changes the colour of the hair below the surface it might work. But if it only colours the hair above the surface, it's useless. They make you shave right before going in and everything, it's the follicle under the skin that needs to get all the laser power.

zoya, how much was the upper lip?? It's going to be my next project. Unfortunately I broke the bank this week, so I'm even having to put off finishing the underarm treatment for the next little while. Too bad, because the first treatment worked so well! and it's just starting to come back in. I might spluge for at least the second treatment for the time being.... I'm also on the fence about the bush, just in case. I think I would get the bikini line done, because mine is pretty out of control - it goes FAR outside of the bikini zone! blink.gif

+Quote Post
zoya
post May 15 2010, 12:17 PM
Post #25

uh huh.

QUOTE(lux @ Apr 18 2010, 07:17 AM) *
I checked out a couple web sites for places that do laser around here. One of them mentioned a spray you can use a couple of weeks before removal to turn the hair darker. I kind of assume this means that it doesn't work on lighter hair. I should probably call some of the places and ask. I just can't seem to be able to shave without ingrowns.

lux- yeah, laser doesn't work on light hair. I wonder if that spray would work, because from what I understand, the laser is destroying the melonin in the dark hair so that it just doesn't grow back (like it basically just shatters the hair follicle) so it would stand to reason that even if you somehow turned lighter hair darker, that color isn't actually IN the hair shaft and hair follicle. But hell, I'm no doctor so who knows....

I am lucky, super pale skin and dark hair. Laser was a miracle for my upper lip - didn't have much hair there to begin with but what was there was a constant dipilatory nightmare cause it was dark. it's been nearly a year since my laser and I will go back like once every 4 or 5 months just for a "top up" but hardly any ever comes back. I really wanna do my pits, when I have some extra cash at some point I probably will. I don't think I would ever do the bikini zone though. Even though I am a mostly-all-hair-gone-down-there kinda girl, I do like reserving the option to go full 70's bush if the fancy ever takes me...

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post May 14 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #26

Big Fat Bitch

I wore a halter maxi dress today & I trimmed the pit poofs with my mom's boyfriend's spare shaver. It has a flip up clipper thingy that let me cut them down, but not go completely bare. And the fact that I used it on my smelly pit hair pre-shower tickled me to no end.

I checked the archives, but didn't find any info on Bliss, I am considering purchasing this: Bliss Poetic Home Waxing Kit. I don't like whatever it is they use around here, it bugs my brow area & since it bugs there I haven't even tried it on my 'stache. I only have a tiny little 'stache, but it looks like the hair is getting darker as I get older.

I know my mom got MAD fuckin' hairy as she got older. Please Jebus, don't let me look like ZZTop! *shudders*

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
lux
post Apr 18 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #27

BUSTie

I checked out a couple web sites for places that do laser around here. One of them mentioned a spray you can use a couple of weeks before removal to turn the hair darker. I kind of assume this means that it doesn't work on lighter hair. I should probably call some of the places and ask. I just can't seem to be able to shave without ingrowns.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 17 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

what I find ridiculous about that article is it includes a photo of Monique with supposedly hairy legs and you just plain can't see anything, so who even gives a fuck? Why do people care about this? I've never gone out with a guy who's cared much, not that it's been an issue - I keep things tidy enough if I'm going uncovered in public. But we've had discussions about it and the answer is always that they prefer if I keep getting rid of the hair, but it doesn't really matter too much. Seriously, if a guy is really attracted to a woman, but finds out she has pit/leg/bush hair, and honestly isn't attracted to her anymore because of that, he's got bigger problems than her hairiness.

As for going in for laser this week... I've gotten to the point where it's either grow out the hair or laser it, shaving is so annoying and I get a lot of ingrowns. since I can afford laser right now, and I feel like my pits stay fresher, less smelly, with no hair, I decides to go for it. I went in on tuesday for the first treatment, still waiting for the hair to fall out. I hope it works... but it was completely painless! A little bit of discomfort where the hair was thickest, but seriously if you've ever waxed this was nothing.

also I asked the technician about laser machines for lighter hair, and to her knowledge they don't work, but she wasn't 100% sure. lux, I think you'd have to ask someone with blonde hair who's tried it.

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Apr 16 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

this reminds me of a time when i was in college, walking around campus, and passed by a hippie girl in a sundress. she smiled and said hi, and did the same, but i could not. stop. staring. at her hairy legs. and i really didn't think they were disgusting; i just was fascinated. i felt like she must have noticed and thought i was being rude (and i guess i was, although it was in passing and i quickly wrenched my gaze away), but i didn't MEAN it rudely, i was just interested.

not to say that the woman you saw WASN'T disgusted, ap; i certainly didn't gasp or gape or express any disapproval. you'd think people's mamas'd raise them better. or get over the fact that we all have bodies. i think hairy armpits on women are kind of fun.

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Apr 16 2010, 04:17 AM) *
My hairy armpits are not any kind of statement & I don't give a fuck if people have a problem with it. I was in line at the deli the other day & wearing a cap-sleeved blouse that just happened to expose my pit hair when I raised my arm. The woman I had been enjoying a polite on queue chat with suddenly turned disgusted when I pointed at something in the cold case & she saw *gasp* my lightly furred pits. Fuck her & her disgust. Fuck 'em both right in the ear!

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 16 2010, 03:17 AM
Post #30

Big Fat Bitch

I wonder if the New York Times has been snooping in the Lounge for story ideas. The Oscars & the hairy wimmins were quite a few weeks back . . .

My hairy armpits are not any kind of statement & I don't give a fuck if people have a problem with it. I was in line at the deli the other day & wearing a cap-sleeved blouse that just happened to expose my pit hair when I raised my arm. The woman I had been enjoying a polite on queue chat with suddenly turned disgusted when I pointed at something in the cold case & she saw *gasp* my lightly furred pits. Fuck her & her disgust. Fuck 'em both right in the ear!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 10 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

thx zoya - I did read back through this entire thread to find out about everyone else's experiences with laser, which helped because at first I kind of didn't believe it worked at all. Then I met a couple of friends who had laser done and said they loved it, and started getting curious. I will only have time for 2 treatments before going away for the summer, but even a partial reduction would be so very awesome. Instead of touch ups after the full course of treatment, I'm thinking I can handle minor amounts of plucking and waxing, to reduce my expenses. If it works I'm thinking of getting the bikini line done after.. I remember reading that someone here got the full monty lasered, which terrifies me!

lux, a lot of professional laser centres claim to have technology that works well with lighter coloured hair. Whatever you do, don't go to a regular salon no matter what they claim, because they will likely use a regular laser on you that only works best for dark hair, and you wouldn't get your money's worth. I don't know anyone with lighter hair who's done it, but if you do your research and find a cosmetic surgery or laser clinic that uses various kinds of laser machines, and has well trained staff, you'd probably be a lot more likely to have success

+Quote Post
lux
post Apr 10 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #32

BUSTie

I would like to get laser on my bikini line when i have the money. But, i can't find conclusive info if it works on red hair or not. I'm blond, but the rest of hair is of different shades dark enough to be quite visible on my pale skin. My skin does not like shaving, and legs are the only place where i'm willing to wax regularly, because of the pain. I would love to be less hairy, but am i stuck with shaving?

+Quote Post
zoya
post Apr 10 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #33

uh huh.

angie - just fyi, one treatment will not do it - it takes a series of about 6 treatments, one every month, for laser hair removal. this is so that the laser hits the hairs at a certain time in the growth cycle. after the initial series of treatments, you'll need a "touch up" every 6 months (sometimes longer) the thing that's cool is that you actually have to shave before you get laser done, so it's not like you are all hairy, waiting for it to fall out or anything - it's weird, cause for me, about 24 hours after each treatment, what hair was in the follicles would shed - like stuff you don't even know is there, cause you've shaved. I noticed a significant difference after my first treatment, but it didn't really stop growing back within about 5 weeks until I'd had about 5 treatments done. It's not cheap - though like you said, each treatment is about the same cost as a waxing appt - but I think its some of my most well-spent money on any beauty-type treatment.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 9 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

well I made an appointment for a laser consultation next week... if the consultation goes well, I can get it done the same day! I had a vein (on my face!) treated with a laser when I was a kid and I remember it being just awful, but I think I'm much tougher now. I am a bit nervous because pits are definitely the most painful wax to get, so I imagine laser will be bad too. But the prospect of having less shaving, chafing - or ingrowns from waxing - while doing fieldwork this summer is very exciting to me! And all for just a bit more than the cost of a brazilian!

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Apr 9 2010, 08:25 AM
Post #35

(o)(o)

*delurks*

It's also about the skill of the sugarer. The pain isn't that bad, I suppose. You get used to it.

*relurks*

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
zoya
post Apr 7 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #36

uh huh.

angie - I've had laser hair removal, and I have super pale skin - I had zero skin discoloration. I think that mostly happens on people with darker skin. I had no issues at all (except for one patch that was really stubborn and had to be treated a couple extra times more than the rest) I highly recommend it. It feels like a rubber band snapping your skin, HARD. Not comfortable, but over quickly.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Apr 7 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

In college I was friends with a beautiful Iranian woman who had dark course hair that she removed with some homemade goop that her Mum prepared and sent from over seas. It worked like a charm on her dark, course hairs and she seemed to be in no pain whatever when she waxed her arms and legs with it. I was too chicken shit at the time to try it, but now I've thought of scouring the net to see if I can find any similar recipes. I assume that it's like plucking your eyebrows....when I pluck in places that I've plucked lots of times before, it rarely hurts. If I pluck at the hairs that I've hardly ever touched before, it hurts like a bitch. Maybe Gulshan had been waxing so long, that her hairs came out easily and painlessly.

Regardless, if CH sugar waxes her cookie, she is one tough broad in my book.

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Apr 6 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

yeah, my pain tolerance definitely increases if i'm consistent with it. i just felt like the nads had misrepresented its pain potential, especially as i was a first-timer (this was about 10 years ago).

my real beef with sugaring is that it doesn't seem quite strong enough to pull out all my tough old hairs. if you have finer (looser?) hair it's probably awesome.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 6 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I've never had much of a problem with the pre-waxed strips from at-home kits. I warm them with my blow dryer to get the wax good and soft though.

The original nads is the body sugar, I think. I had it once and it was OK, nothing special, and a huge fuss to use and clean up. If you are going to try sugaring, save yourself a ton of money and google home sugaring recipes. basically you melt sugar and honey in some water for 20 minutes and viola, super-cheap nads. It's microwaveable afterwards and you can store it in a microwave-safe jar. I used that for a while and found it not that painful, but also now that I can compare it to wax strips, not as effective either.

I'm mostly scared of skin discolouration with laser removal. I have very fair skin and it wouldn't look so hot. But I am going to make an appointment soon and just see what happens, I guess.

+Quote Post
luleey
post Apr 6 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry to backtrack to epilators again--Angie et al., mine is a Braun, pretty new, a couple years old...I think it's the same one with the pointless "massage" attachment that doesn't do much.

I started out using this really old ghetto epilator that my sis and I bought for some reason in 1994 or something. It worked, and it was so painful that my new one feels light as air to me! Crazy!! It finally bit the dust after many years of use.

I hate Nads and home waxing kits. They never work!!

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 29, 2014 - 03:50 AM