Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
lori
post Dec 15 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #1001

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(ladylustlove @ Dec 15 2008, 12:34 PM) *
Sorry about the long post guys. just wanted to
share my story. Feel free to ask me any questions.
good luck!

No, thanks for sharing. That was great.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ladylustlove
post Dec 15 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #1002

BUSTie

Hey ladies-
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, as so
many of us do.
I got tested for bv last week and for the first time in nearly a year
and a half it came up negative.
I am a very very happy woman right now, and
I wish to share my experience with you.

THe first time I encountered bv was in the spring of 2007
after I took a month long vacation to the tropics.
I couldn't tell anything was wrong, but my bf
stated something just smelled awry.
So i got tested, and as you might've guessed, there was the bv.

There were 3 factors that may have contributed to this occurence:
1. I had a non-hormonal iud inserted 2 months prior.
2. I had just started having unprotected sex with my bf.
3. Had just finished up probably my 5th treatment of
antibiotics for UTIs due to sex. Thankfully, I have discovered D-mannose
since then and take it b4 and after I have sex now. Knock on wood,
I have not had a UTI since i started taking mannose as a preventative.

So i got a round of antibiotics thinking little of it.
the bv went away.
took some probiotics too, some weak brand.
I was BV free for about 4 months.
I then read some
mumbo in a mag about how probiotics on a reg basis may not
be great for you (screw you whoever wrote that!!!)
and stopped taking them.
about a couple of weeks later, the smell was back.
I was a little freaked out but kinda like whatever. So i took
more antibiotics. Which worked for the week, but
the smell came back quickly after.

Then I was stumped. So like many of us, i researched on line a
bunch. Tried ACV. Tried inserting pros in the vag.
tried tea tree oil.

Went back to the doc, still had it. so i thought i'd give it one
final try with the antibiotics. i took a double whammy, using the
cream and the pills.
Then i got a yeast infection. i used boric acid for that and the yeast was
gone, but the smell lingered (according to the bf).

I was sick of going to the doc, and sick of taking antibiotics.
I felt like at this rate i'd be going every month. and going to
the doc isn't especially my fave activity. so
i decided to just take it easy.Focus on me. On new years i did a week long
raw food cleanse. Shortly after, I saw (don't laugh)
an energy healer, which was an amazing experience. he
had me go on a cleanse and insert vaginal vitamin c

After this, My bf ate me out a couple of times, during which he said it
tasted sweet. So I was like good!! then a couple of other times
he said it didn't taste/smell as great. So I was like damn.

But like i said, i chilled out. Tried not to stress. Bc this bv thing
brought me some serious fucking tears.

After 6 months or so of not seeing doctors, and kinda on a whim,
I went back last week to get tested. I was curious about my status.
and my tests came out negative.

I'm not sure what exactly did it, but like
the cause of my bv, maybe the elimination of it
has to do with multiple factors.

This is what I have done in my life to try to
get my body back to normal:

**alkalizing my body. I dunno if this is just some new fad, but
whatever. I eat as many fruits n veggies as possible.
I still drink alcohol and coffee, but drink enormous
quantities of lemon water to make up for it. I still have a minimal
amount of processed sugar (i work in a cafe for christ's sake!)
but i try to keep my diet at a 80%healthy/20%not so great ratio.

**taking probiotics. I take daily, one femdophilus and one ultimate
Vaginal flora, in the morning after breakfast. I've read the bacteria
thrive better if you take them with some food. this has been one
hell of an expensive habit (~$50 a month) but fuck it.

**taking vitamins. I take one woman's health daily (trader joe brand).
these multis have some extra womanly herbs in them.
One calcium/magnesium/green food tablet (also trader joe).
One omega 3/6/9. one vitamin c, and one folic acid.

**yoga. Nothing intense, just a few minutes in the morning.

**positive thinking and affirmations. Not just
about the bv, but life in general. Some people think this
is mega cheesy, but it has really helped me.
"I release any disease or negativity from my body
and welcome health and positivity"

Also, as you might have thought strange, I cannot tell when
i have the bv. Just can't. My bf can via the smell, but
i think he has a strong nose. I notice nothing particularly
strange about the discharge. I dunno. Also,
like i said, there has been times that he has said i didn't smell
that great but now...i am wondering if these are just
at particular points of my cycle. We smell sweeter when
we ovulate and when we are horny, so
maybe this explains why I smelled so sweet to him
in the beginning (i was a lot hornier in the beginning
of the relationship. New things are always exciting).

I was talking to my doc about this, and she
said sometimes the bv just goes away. I think, in my particular
case, taking all of those antibiotics for the UTIs really fucked me
up. It took over a year for my flora to get back into balance.
also, the iud prob didn't help (forgot to mention
i had that removed). now on the pill which i'm
not too thrilled about.
I think my bod was just
outta wack and needed some time to readjust.
Also, I believe the energy healing/positive thinking/non-stressing
may have had a part in
all of this. never hurts to try.

I will think twice b4 ever taking antibiotics again.
It is a shame that docs were giving them
to me like nothing instead of informing me about
wonderful things like d-mannose. Then again, they
prob didn't even know.

Sorry about the long post guys. just wanted to
share my story. Feel free to ask me any questions.
good luck!

+Quote Post
lori
post Dec 14 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #1003

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey everyone,

If you've checked out my blog lately, you might have noticed that I moved it to a different URL:

http://allaboutbv.blogspot.com/

The blog on the Bust site has been outdated, and I've been meaning to update it forever. But it felt daunting, and I've put it off for a long time.

The new format is easier for me to address individual topics more in-depth. It's still in the beginning stages. And I'm new to blogging, so I'm learning as I go!

These are my posts so far. Not comprehensive, yet. But check them out if you need any info. on these topics. I'll update you guys on my progress.

Thanks ...

--

Introduction

What Is BV?

Doctors Don't Know Everything (And Sometimes, They're Jerks)

Doctor Can Be Jerks - You're Still Going to Need One

Your Gynecologist Appointment

Prescription Medication #1: Metronidazole

Prescription Medication #2: Clindamycin

BV: The Vicious Cycle

--------------------

+Quote Post
neptune
post Dec 11 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #1004

BUSTie

QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Dec 11 2008, 03:36 AM) *
thats interesting that your tests have been coming back negative lately, perhaps its trich?? have you been tested for absolutely everything else??? i remember you saying something about it starting after you took antidepressents... my first case of Bv started when i started prozac and birth control!!!! like freshnfree im also allergic to latex, and believe this aggravated my situation, but my first case DEFINITELY came directly after starting the meds i mentioned. i decided to postpone my gyno appt because i got my period early, but when i go i am going to ask to be tested for stds A-Z as well as strepB, BV, AND i want to be referred to an endocrinologist for hormone testing. my mother has always said that she believes my hormones are totally out of whack(i have some of the illest modd swings known to man), and given the fact that my depression, stress, and birth control meds brought on my first case i am going to test that little theory.

i havent tried any other probiotics, but femd is wonderful and if i know there are some UK ladies who post here that have gotten a hold of some.

good luck girls

I was tested for trich and it came back negative. My theory is that it's "lurking" bv, and not quite bad enough to show up on tests. Not sure if that's possible though. When I have it badly the smell is definite fish, but I've tested positive when it's just been the onion smell before. Mystery. I think I might pay privately to see a gyne as the nhs over here can be pretty crap.

Did you start birth control and prozac at exactly the same time? I suppose it could have been triggered by either? I had unprotected sex and that's when I first got it, but I'd been on the antids for a few months, and it didn't clear up (without treatment) until I came off the meds about 9 months later. So the meds were definitely aggravating the problem at the very least. I asked my mum's friends who used to be a doctor and she said that bv can often be triggered/caused by medication. I know that in some cases people suspect it's an allergy so maybe that's why. Are you still taking the prozac and birth control?

Seeing an endo would be a good plan. If it's hormonal it might respond to some sort of hormone treatment. I personally have PCOS and take dianette and have recently started spironolactone (anti androgen). These meds are helping my pcos symptoms, but haven't made a change to my "bv" or whatever the hell it is! Over on Soulcysters someone did say recently that their bv cleared up when they started taking metformin (a treatment used in PCOS which balances insulin) and their doctor said that having insulin levels out of the normal range could possibly prevent the body from fighting infections properly.

+Quote Post
lori
post Dec 11 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #1005

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(catwalk @ Dec 11 2008, 08:53 AM) *
THANKS! And even better, when you check out, put in the code LAZ615 for a referral coupon and you get another $5 off! biggrin.gif

WOW!!!! For $21 including shipping I got the 60 caps bottle! Holy crap!!! ohmy.gif

Thank you for sharing this! (So glad they come in 60-caps now. Cool.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Dec 11 2008, 03:12 PM
Post #1006

QUOTE(Queen @ Dec 10 2008, 06:23 PM) *
hey im a newbie here............... newho im 21 years old and i have been living with bv for the longest time... im soo embarassed to even go socialize in fear of someone smelling me..... i recently quit my job because i felt everyong was looking at me and hearing lil whispers here and there while i enter a room... i just feel soo alone ... i barely go out.. i stop going to school... this disease as taken over my life i just dont know what to do with myself...and is it common with people with bv to be dealing with halitosis (bad breath) ............sad to say i stopped communicating to the people i love in fear of them putting their hands on their nose...........ahhhhhhh soo much goes through my day please help me find a cure for this disease..

What have you tried treating your B.V. with? Don't give in so soon, you may just find something that works for you. I can't help but think that way. I'm an optimist.

+Quote Post
catwalk
post Dec 11 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #1007

BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Dec 10 2008, 11:36 PM) *
Ladies, Iherb has the Fem D (60 capsules) for $23.77 and the 30 capsules for 17.47 -
Linky: Fem Dophilus - iHerb.com

THANKS! And even better, when you check out, put in the code LAZ615 for a referral coupon and you get another $5 off! biggrin.gif

WOW!!!! For $21 including shipping I got the 60 caps bottle! Holy crap!!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Thanks everyone on Bust Lounge!!! Fem-D changed my life! BV be gone! Try from Iherb (cheapest) with code LAZ615 & save another $5! :D

+Quote Post
yme30
post Dec 11 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #1008

BUSTie

QUOTE(Queen @ Dec 10 2008, 07:23 PM) *
hey im a newbie here............... newho im 21 years old and i have been living with bv for the longest time... im soo embarrassed to even go socialize in fear of someone smelling me..... i recently quit my job because i felt everyong was looking at me and hearing lil whispers here and there while i enter a room... i just feel soo alone ... i barely go out.. i stop going to school... this disease as taken over my life i just dont know what to do with myself...and is it common with people with bv to be dealing with halitosis (bad breath) ............sad to say i stopped communicating to the people i love in fear of them putting their hands on their nose...........ahhhhhhh soo much goes through my day please help me find a cure for this disease..

Welcome and I do understand how you feel. Whats worse for me is the smell which I simply cant take because its so embarrassing. This infection takes away your entire social life well at least it has for me.

I went back to a new doctor AGAIN and she gave me the metro pills and its day 4 and all I can do is pray for the best.

I must say though keep trying and trying and trying to get the right doctor to get rid of this BV. I had enough of spending my money on probiotics that dont work, vitamins, oils, and all these other things on the market that claim to be "clinically proven". It upsets me because I could have use that money on gas, groceries, or for savings.
I read that it works for some people but not for me so why invest anymore of my hard earned money in products that just irritates my bv even more. I have had BV for several years and I am determine to get my life back when I was fresh, dry, no heavy discharge and the god awful smell. Just believe that it will be gone and I wish you the best and everyone else.

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Dec 10 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #1009

Hardcore BUSTie

Ladies, Iherb has the Fem D (60 capsules) for $23.77 and the 30 capsules for 17.47 - I'd say it would be better to buy the 60 caps if you can afford that few extra bucks. I certainly need it, and I'm a stickler for staying stocked up on stuff. For me it seems that 30 capsules run out way too fast.

Anyway, thought I'd pass that on while I'm placing my order smile.gif Hope you all get to feeling better soon.

Linky: Fem Dophilus - iHerb.com

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!

+Quote Post
LovelyLadyLuck
post Dec 10 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #1010

QUOTE(neptune @ Dec 7 2008, 07:02 PM) *
I'm the onion one. I have responded well to metrogel and metronidazole so far aswell, but like you find, the discharge always comes back pretty quickly.

What I can't understand is that my tests have been coming back negative for bv recently. Yet somehow I don't think an onion smelling, green, very heavy discharge complete with stinging and pain is normal. mad.gif Although if the doctors can't find anything then apparently there's nothing wrong rolleyes.gif

Have you tried other types of acidophilus/probiotics as well as the FemD? If so, did they work? I don't think I'm responding to normal acidophilus but haven't tried FemD yet as it's not available over here in the uk. If FemD is different then I'll try and get hold of some.

thats interesting that your tests have been coming back negative lately, perhaps its trich?? have you been tested for absolutely everything else??? i remember you saying something about it starting after you took antidepressents... my first case of Bv started when i started prozac and birth control!!!! like freshnfree im also allergic to latex, and believe this aggravated my situation, but my first case DEFINITELY came directly after starting the meds i mentioned. i decided to postpone my gyno appt because i got my period early, but when i go i am going to ask to be tested for stds A-Z as well as strepB, BV, AND i want to be referred to an endocrinologist for hormone testing. my mother has always said that she believes my hormones are totally out of whack(i have some of the illest modd swings known to man), and given the fact that my depression, stress, and birth control meds brought on my first case i am going to test that little theory.

i havent tried any other probiotics, but femd is wonderful and if i know there are some UK ladies who post here that have gotten a hold of some.

good luck girls

+Quote Post
Queen
post Dec 10 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #1011

hey im a newbie here............... newho im 21 years old and i have been living with bv for the longest time... im soo embarassed to even go socialize in fear of someone smelling me..... i recently quit my job because i felt everyong was looking at me and hearing lil whispers here and there while i enter a room... i just feel soo alone ... i barely go out.. i stop going to school... this disease as taken over my life i just dont know what to do with myself...and is it common with people with bv to be dealing with halitosis (bad breath) ............sad to say i stopped communicating to the people i love in fear of them putting their hands on their nose...........ahhhhhhh soo much goes through my day please help me find a cure for this disease..

+Quote Post
catwalk
post Dec 9 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #1012

BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Dec 7 2008, 06:02 PM) *
haven't tried FemD yet as it's not available over here in the uk.

I got mine off ebay for super cheap & I think they ship worldwide! *checking* Yup!

Link is here

It shows they only have 1 bottle left, but at least it's a start! I put in a best offer of £13 & it accepted it right away but you could probably try less (plus £5 shipping, even to UK!). I'm happy I ordered it, I really think it has helped..... although I have to be more diligent in taking them every day. wink.gif

--------------------
Thanks everyone on Bust Lounge!!! Fem-D changed my life! BV be gone! Try from Iherb (cheapest) with code LAZ615 & save another $5! :D

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Dec 8 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #1013

QUOTE(neverending @ Dec 8 2008, 03:30 PM) *
It depends on your condition. Everybodies body is different. For some it may take 2wks, others 2 mos if you ge what I'm saying. I say try it to see if it works. Doesn't hurt to try hun! wink.gif

Ok. Thanks. By the way, did it work for you? Because from what I've been reading Fem-Dophilus is pretty good.

+Quote Post
FRESHnFREE
post Dec 8 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #1014

Hi, I've lurked here for about a year and I've tried most of the suggestions on this site and many have brought relief, but I thank God for truly helping me find a cure and I'd like to share it with you ladies.

The cure: It's an oral dose of "Z" pack antibiotic. Zithromax/Azithromycin (*it treats bacterial infections) I don't think the antibiotic's effect on bacterial vaginosis is shared much in the medical community or with patients.

Azithromycin is used to treat certain bacterial infections, most often those causing middle ear infections, tonsillitis, throat infections, laryngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia and sinusitis. It is also effective against certain sexually transmitted infectious diseases, such as non-gonococcal urethritis and cervicitis. (wiki) It's funny that a doctor has never prescribed this for any of us.

I found this cure by accident. I used it for a throat infection and it also cleared up my bv. Then I did some research and discovered that it was the reason my bv cleared up. I've tried EVERYthing, trust me, including FemD, peroxide (great for a quick fix), yogurt, acidophilis, boric acid, metrogel, flagyl, etc... So I understand what you ladies are going through.

Actually, I've had BV for years, but I've always been able to cure it with a doctor's prescription of Metrogel. Unfortunately, I think I contracted a very resistant strain from a new partner. I should also add that I'm allergic to latex and that often brings on a bv infection for me.

Anyway, bottom line, get a prescription for a 5 day "Z" pack. I used it for 5 days and then followed it with Metrogel for another 3-4 days to make sure it was gone, but you may be fine with just the antibiotic. It's been over 2 months and I'm completely BV free, including no smell. Please get the prescription for Azithromycin.

Many doctors may try to tell you that this won't cure it, but believe me, IT WORKS! I vowed to finally post once I felt confident with a cure/remedy and now I finally do. I've been bv free since mid October ladies and it's December.

Yours Truly,

Finally Relieved biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
neverending
post Dec 8 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #1015

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Dec 8 2008, 09:09 PM) *
How long does it take for the Fem-Dophilus to work?

It depends on your condition. Everybodies body is different. For some it may take 2wks, others 2 mos if you ge what I'm saying. I say try it to see if it works. Doesn't hurt to try hun! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Dec 8 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #1016

QUOTE(neverending @ Dec 7 2008, 09:56 PM) *
Hmmm.....If he has a big penis, he may be rubbing you raw. Have you tried Fem D? I would suggest you try to replenish your flora to see if that works. Oh yeah, Docs will tell you different things. Just try to do what you think is best for yourself.

How long does it take for the Fem-Dophilus to work?

+Quote Post
neverending
post Dec 7 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #1017

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(NervousLittleThings @ Dec 6 2008, 08:26 PM) *
hello! i've been reading this board for about 6 months now, so i decided to finally say hi. i've had b.v. for almost a year now, having gone to four different doctors in rotation. now, i'm on the 6 month metrogel treatment which isn't really doing anything. i just picked up fem d today at whole foods. i'm getting quite sick of doctors. each one told me a different thing, one told me to get my boyfriend checked and then when we went in, the nurses refused to test him because "men can't get it." however, i didn't have b.v. until about two weeks after we started having sex. i've told my main gyno about that but he sort of dismissed me. we started using condoms but that didn't really help either. anyways, most everything i've learned about b.v. i've learned from you ladies and i just wanted to say knowing other people are going through the same thing is such a big help when the depression and insecurity sets in.
thanks to all of you!

Hmmm.....If he has a big penis, he may be rubbing you raw. Have you tried Fem D? I would suggest you try to replenish your flora to see if that works. Oh yeah, Docs will tell you different things. Just try to do what you think is best for yourself.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Dec 7 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #1018

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Dec 8 2008, 12:02 AM) *
I'm the onion one. I have responded well to metrogel and metronidazole so far aswell, but like you find, the discharge always comes back pretty quickly.

What I can't understand is that my tests have been coming back negative for bv recently. Yet somehow I don't think an onion smelling, green, very heavy discharge complete with stinging and pain is normal. mad.gif Although if the doctors can't find anything then apparently there's nothing wrong rolleyes.gif

Have you tried other types of acidophilus/probiotics as well as the FemD? If so, did they work? I don't think I'm responding to normal acidophilus but haven't tried FemD yet as it's not available over here in the uk. If FemD is different then I'll try and get hold of some.

Hello Hun and WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

I eat a lot of onions and on everything. I even like them raw so I take Chlorophyll to help. Here is some info on this supplement:

What is Chlorophyll Good For?
Besides what is mentioned above, chlorophyll helps increase heart function, improves the vascular system, cleanses the liver of heavy metals and chemical toxins, cleanses and improves the health of the intestines, uterus, and lungs. It is also a natural breath freshener and body deodorizer.

For people who really want to cleanse their bodies of impurities, adding chlorophyll is a great way to go. From liver and colon cleanses, to blood and circulation improvement, chlorophyll in the diet will bring vast improvements. If elimination issues are plaguing you, adding chlorophyll to your diet will help solve your problem.

Hope this helps!

+Quote Post
neptune
post Dec 7 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #1019

BUSTie

QUOTE(LovelyLadyLuck @ Dec 4 2008, 01:11 AM) *
sooo sad it may be worth the try to use str8 femd and nothing else and see what it does for you. im assuming your body responds to it since you still use it. so the flagyl doesnt work for you at ALL??? interesting. i respond well to it, my bv just comes back after a while. i have a whole bottle of femd that i havent used yet, my bv is full force right now. someone said something about smelling of onions. thats exactly how my smell is. but when i take two femd's (one orally and one vaginally, it worked well for me), the smell is almost totally gone within a week. even my discharge is different. but if i dont do it for a day or two then guess what happens mad.gif . which makes me wonder if i have sooo much bad bacteria that i need to kill it off with the meds first. and since i do in fact respond well to flagyl im gonna get some at the doc next week. until then the femd will stay in the fridge. im dying to use it though. but this time im going to try to finish up the whole course of flagyl and then do the femd, since i havent given the meds a chance in a looooong time.. if that doesnt work and it comes back ill do strictly femd. if that doesnt work ill punch someone. rolleyes.gif but anyway think about giving it a try.

i do want to point out that even though my bv symptoms came back after stopping the femd, i DO think that if you continue to take it that it COULD clear up on its own.

+Quote Post
NervousLittleThi...
post Dec 6 2008, 02:26 PM
Post #1020

hello! i've been reading this board for about 6 months now, so i decided to finally say hi. i've had b.v. for almost a year now, having gone to four different doctors in rotation. now, i'm on the 6 month metrogel treatment which isn't really doing anything. i just picked up fem d today at whole foods. i'm getting quite sick of doctors. each one told me a different thing, one told me to get my boyfriend checked and then when we went in, the nurses refused to test him because "men can't get it." however, i didn't have b.v. until about two weeks after we started having sex. i've told my main gyno about that but he sort of dismissed me. we started using condoms but that didn't really help either. anyways, most everything i've learned about b.v. i've learned from you ladies and i just wanted to say knowing other people are going through the same thing is such a big help when the depression and insecurity sets in.
thanks to all of you!

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 01:54 AM