The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 195 196 197 198 199 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
itainteasy
post Apr 28 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #3921

BV (bacterial vaginosis) is a common infection for women that is associated with a heavier vaginal discharge and odor. It's been described as not really an infection as much as an overgrowth of the natural bacteria that inhibit the vagina. Similar to the overgrowth of normally occurring yeast, known as a yeast infection. Lots of docs seem to associate the onset of BV with lower vaginal ph levels, although once a bv infection occurs, vaginal tests show a higher than normal ph level.

Based on what I've read, fluctuating hormones (esp. premenopause- 10 years prior to stopping menstruation), semen and blood all lower vaginal ph. Lots of women have found that using RePhresh, (an otc gel) after menstruation, condoms, vaginal hormones, Acigel (Rx), Yeast Arrest (OTC online) or oral acidophilus seem to raise/maintain vaginal acidity which equals a lower ph.

Metrogel for treating BV may be preferable to oral antibiotics which can lead to yeast infections. Maybe treatment followed-up with the above methods of maintaining ph offers the best hope for addressing recurring BV. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alwaysonmymind
post Apr 28 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #3922

BUSTie

I haven't been on a while but I haven't forgetten to what it feels like to have BV. It's funny what our bodies will do and how little doctors can help us. I just got into a new relationship and it is fine "no bv" with unprotected sex. However, in other relationships it has been a big problem. A problem that really takes an effect on your mind and body. I don't know... I just wanted to let you girls know that your bodies may not mix well with your partner ( for some of you) Check to see if your partner is circumised or how big he is. That may make the difference. Although, I don't recommend sleeping with different guys until there is no "problem" Be with the one you love and make it work. Good luck!

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 28 2007, 01:37 AM
Post #3923

Hardcore BUSTie

What do you all use in the laundry to make sure that all the bacteria is gone. I'm reading that white vinegar is a good disinfectant for the laundry. Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 27 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #3924

BUSTie

QUOTE(Morphia @ Apr 27 2007, 04:18 AM) *
Hey guys. Now I'm starting to take on some what of a cheesy odor down there. Or maybe it smells kind of like a sweaty gym sock or a mixture of both. Kind of salty smelling too... I really can't describe it. It's not STRONG. You can't smell it through my clothes, but I can smell it when I have no pants/undies on and my legs are spread. Anyone else experience this. I've read one article that says that a high cheese odor is usually predicitive of bv. :'( I think its back. But I still don't really see any discharge? Still dry. WTF?

Hello Morphia.. biggrin.gif
I can tell you this that when I have the bv smell it is crossed between a strong salmon/tuna like smell. Just an overall foul smell that tells me that it is not normal. You say that you have a cheesy odor, well I believe that if what you are smelling down there is not a normal smell to you as far as how you smell down there then it sounds like bv. This is what I do, I smell myself constantly and become aware of what my normal smell is and use that as a guide so when I think or feel bv coming on then I can differentiate on two smells one being normal and the other foul odor from bv. So just become aware of your normal smell. This is a process and getting to know your body and what works for your body. Yes, it is time consuming and as we all know at times can be down right unbearable and frustrating. Not an overnight resolution but for me any product that can give me some type of relief is a plus.. Keep on it and you will find what works..It may take some time but it will be worth it and if that product fails or stops working like for me(the metro-gel,flag,metro pills) then research and try another product until you get the desired relief... Hang in there Morphia..Dont give up

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 27 2007, 06:12 AM
Post #3925

BUSTie

QUOTE(sciongal @ Apr 26 2007, 09:03 PM) *
Hi all, well, I have been working with this for a while now... I have been using the yeast arrest during my period...but my period had just ended and I had run out of it. I went to dance class yesterday and when we were doing warm ups. I got a blast of smell...I was so embarrased, but instead of running out of class in tears, I stuck it out . As soon as I got home I started the aci-jel again and used an acidophilus suppository. I really had to be kind to myself and think positive...I am waiting for the flagyl by mail..it's taking FOREVER!! But I am trying to be patient, I hope it will work.. Just had to share with those who understand....thanks. sad.gif

Hello sciongal..
Just hang in there.. I used the yeast arrest for 21 days straight and been off of it for a few days and so I am really really monitoring and smelling myself so when and if it comes back I will just get back on the yeast arrest and use it longer than the first time. I read where they say that it could take up to a full two months( of using it everyday twice a day) to get your ph in order. Like we all stated before we are all different so it may or may not work for us all. I too have the aci-jel but I really do not plan on using it until I go a second round with the yeast arrest which would mean using it for two months straight. I am glad to hear that you stuck it out and continued to stay positive. We all NEED to hear that...May I ask how long you have been using yeast arrest? I feel like since it states that we use it during our period after the initial
use that it would be like a preventative product not a cure but a way for us to get some type of relief for a bit.. I am also taking a form of acidophilus orally. I have been dealing with bv off and on for 10 years and so I believe because it has been a problem with me for so long it will just take longer to get relief but so far no smell no discharge... Hang in there ladies...

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 27 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #3926

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey guys. Now I'm starting to take on some what of a cheesy odor down there. Or maybe it smells kind of like a sweaty gym sock or a mixture of both. Kind of salty smelling too... I really can't describe it. It's not STRONG. You can't smell it through my clothes, but I can smell it when I have no pants/undies on and my legs are spread. Anyone else experience this. I've read one article that says that a high cheese odor is usually predicitive of bv. :'( I think its back. But I still don't really see any discharge? Still dry. WTF?

+Quote Post
sciongal
post Apr 26 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #3927

BUSTie

Hi all, well, I have been working with this for a while now... I have been using the yeast arrest during my period...but my period had just ended and I had run out of it. I went to dance class yesterday and when we were doing warm ups. I got a blast of smell...I was so embarrased, but instead of running out of class in tears, I stuck it out . As soon as I got home I started the aci-jel again and used an acidophilus suppository. I really had to be kind to myself and think positive...I am waiting for the flagyl by mail..it's taking FOREVER!! But I am trying to be patient, I hope it will work.. Just had to share with those who understand....thanks. sad.gif

+Quote Post
bvgirl
post Apr 26 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #3928

BUSTie

Hello Ladies.. Just here to report that I have been off yeast arrest for two days and I have no smell or discharge laugh.gif . But like I stated before if it comes back before my period then I will start back using it and stay on it longer. By the way I used it for 21 days straight before stopping. I will be around..

--------------------
BVGIRL

GOD BLESS YOU ALL......

I will be around......

+Quote Post
Eralc Alegna
post Apr 26 2007, 02:45 PM
Post #3929

BUSTie

I too get the cloudy something-or-other in the toilet when I go. I panic everytime I see it now, fearing that it's the first symptoms of BV returning. I would agree though that it's probably normal and just normal discharge.

Morphia, I really feel for you. I hope this gets better soon, but if it doesn't or until it does you found a wonderful support system on this board. We are all so lucky to have found eachother. Through our discussions and comparisons many of us have been able to find relief recently. I can only hope that you will be next. Were here for you! wink.gif

As for me I'm still good! I haven't even used the aci-jel for a while. My period will start any day now, so as insurance I made some new boric acid capsules yesterday and just put one in. I think I'll use it through my period and go back to aci-jel everynight after.

To all those ladies that were talking about scented panyliners, douches, sprays etc. a week or so back - If it doesn't cause you problems than great, but that doesn't mean it wont. I've never read anything that advocates use of any of those products at all, with the exception of douching with the HP.
I know the smell is highly traumatic and embarassing, but do your best to stick it out and deal with it. I for one will be keeping my vag FAR FAR AWAY from perfumes, dyes and such potential irritants!!!
For those who are curious, all I do is wash myself with plain old water in the shower. My body wash has some contact externally I'm sure, but at the end of my shower I just rub some water around down there and make sure I'm good and rinsed. Works fine for me and now that I'm BV free I don't seem to have a smell at all, not even my discharge

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 26 2007, 01:14 AM
Post #3930

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(anitsirhc @ Apr 25 2007, 11:47 PM) *
for your burning why don't you just try vagisil for the outside for now?

The burning is on the inside. sad.gif I pretty much never get external irritation.

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 25 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #3931

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Morphia @ Apr 25 2007, 11:37 PM) *
I also wanted to add a question for all of you...Does anyone else notice a drop of white liquid in the toilet when you go pee? Everytime...EVERYTIME I go to the restroom, right as I'm finishing, a drop of something hits the water and I can see it dissipating through out. It looks as if someone has put a drop of chalky water in the toilet water. But when I look in my vagina with a mirror I see NOTHING. What is this? Where is it coming from? Anyone else experience this? I've had this for a looooooooong time now. Since before my first bv diagnosis. I hope its not a bv symptom. sad.gif If it is...tell me true. Be honest. I can handle it. lol.

that happens to me too sometimes. i don't think it's anything to worry about, you always have a little bit of discharge even when everything is normal. it's normal to have healthy discharge. and you said you're dry so yours probably only comes out when you are using those muscles, when you pee you're pushing out so you're probably just pushing out the normal discharge. the same exact thing happens to me though, even when i don't have bv.

for your burning why don't you just try vagisil for the outside for now? just to hold you over till you get to the doctor. unless that's bad for you, i don't know. but vagisil has always worked for me when i absolutely couldn't handle the itching/burning. just make sure you don't get it inside your vagina.

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Apr 25 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #3932

Hardcore BUSTie

YES.....Morphia...I do get the same exact thing. My Fish smell is gone, however who knows what's going on WAY UP THERE. I pass it off to just discharge. I am starting to get the funky smell again. NOT FISH, just like a bad smell, so I'm going to use a Flagyl tonight, just to be on the safe side.

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 25 2007, 09:20 PM
Post #3933

Hardcore BUSTie

Bubba, if you haven't had your bv free status confirmed by a doctor I would. My bv had/has no smell and had/has a thick white dishcarge. Go get a test done to be sure if you already haven't. About the Clindesse....I know that things have not been the same down there since either. I'm dry. Very dry... Also, some studies that I've read about Clindamycin say recurrences tend to happen after 4 weeks.

I also wanted to add a question for all of you...Does anyone else notice a drop of white liquid in the toilet when you go pee? Everytime...EVERYTIME I go to the restroom, right as I'm finishing, a drop of something hits the water and I can see it dissipating through out. It looks as if someone has put a drop of chalky water in the toilet water. But when I look in my vagina with a mirror I see NOTHING. What is this? Where is it coming from? Anyone else experience this? I've had this for a looooooooong time now. Since before my first bv diagnosis. I hope its not a bv symptom. sad.gif If it is...tell me true. Be honest. I can handle it. lol.

+Quote Post
BubbaLove
post Apr 25 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #3934

I have a question.. about how long after using the one dosage Clindesse does the BV come back? It has been almost 7 weeks and I am still BV free.
However, I have been getting this thick gloopy (kind of like the slime kids play with) dischagre in like... HUGE globs. It has no smell or weird color... but is this normal?

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 25 2007, 08:16 PM
Post #3935

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I still have until Monday before I can see the doctor and the burning is only getting worse. And guess fucking what??!! I can feel my period coming on! Wooooohoooo! I may not be able to go on the 30th after all! I'm pretty sure this is another bv and yeast coinfection. Just in milder form. It doesn't burn near as bad as my last one but its still there and its still annoying. I'm still praying that this is just a yeast infection from the Clindesse, but I don't see myself being that lucky. Some of the lymph nodes in my groin are starting to hurt a little. I don't even know if I believe in God. I'm agnostic (not atheist-big difference) but I still pray that this is just an easy-to-cure yeasty and I need your prayers too. I'm also praying that he checks my hormones and that if I really do have a hormone problem, it will show up in the labs. These next 4 days are going to be the longest of my life! :'(

+Quote Post
anitsirhc
post Apr 25 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #3936

Hardcore BUSTie

hello. i haven't tried the yeast arrest yet. right now i feel fine. i finished the 3 day monistat for my yeast infection and i'm pretty sure that's gone. after that i used rephresh. that was the night before last night. i haven't had any discharge since then, a little odor but not bv oder just sweaty odor. so maybe the flagyl vaginally did work i just needed to clear everything out and give it a few weeks, who knows? i'm going to keep using the rephresh and see how that goes. of course i'll keep everyone updated.

hang in there, morphia. i've felt that way before too. like it's never going to go away so what's the point? but like everyone else is saying you just have to keep trying different things and see what keeps the bv away for you. it's not easy but it's definitely worth it. good luck. let us know what happens at the doctor.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Apr 24 2007, 06:42 AM
Post #3937

Hardcore BUSTie

HELLO LADIES! I'm just checking in to see what is going on. How is everyone doing? Has anyone else tried the esroil? love ya all and stay strong. xoxoxoxox

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Apr 23 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #3938

Hardcore BUSTie

Morphia, I found this online:

Since not everyone gets the discharge, the easiest way for a woman to tell that she has a yeast infection is that she itches in and around her vagina. A lot. The itchiness may be accompanied by a burning sensation, and her vulvar area can be red and swollen. It may also burn or be generally painful for her to urinate, and sex may become painful as well. A good way to distinguish the burning on urination that is due to a yeast infection vs. a urinary tract infection is to pay close attention to exactly when the burning starts and stops. With yeast, the burning is due to acidic urine hitting the irritated skin of the vulva, so the burning starts when the urine reaches the outside. With urinary tract infection, the burning is felt as the urine passes down the tube on its way out.

So, how can a woman tell that she has a yeast infection? Most women associate a thick discharge that looks like cottage cheese with the Candida bug, although only about 20% experience it. If it is present, the discharge may either have a starchy odor to it, or perhaps none at all, and its color can vary from white to a more yellowish tinge.

While these are the general symptoms of a yeast infection, every woman may experience one differently. She may identify an infection by the smell and consistency of the discharge, which can be unique to her. However, certain symptoms definitely do not go along with a simple yeast infection, and they may indicate that something more serious is going on. For example, if she is feverish or is experiencing pelvic pain, these are definitely indications that she ought to see her doctor in order to receive a proper diagnosis and medical care.

OK...Now, for me, when I get a yeast infection, it starts with like you said, a "Twinge" feeling in there. THEN AN ITCH. And the itch is so bad, it makes you want to take a baby bottle cleaning brush and shove it up there and scratch the shit out of it!! lol. I also get burning, and alot of white discharge. If you look up there with a mirror, and you have yeast, you can usually see the "Cottage Cheese" like discharge up there, because it sticks to the walls of your vagina.

HOWEVER... I did have a friend years and years ago, that had a yeast infection so bad, she had to have surgery, literally, to get it out. This was before the days of oral antibiotics for yeast, and the monistat wasn't getting up there high enough to reach it.

Do you eat alot of bread?? You might want to invest in some really good yogurt that contains the bacterium Lactobacillus acidophilus.

EITHER WAY....Your doctor needs to take a closer look. Be very SPECIFIC about your pain. And as far as the Vaginal Dryness, I found this....

Vaginal dryness is often due to deficiency of the female hormone estrogen. Sometimes vaginal dryness is a result of skin conditions of the genital area. Often no specific cause of vaginal dryness can be identified. OR THIS...

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00550.html THIS IS GOOD INFORMATION!!

Good luck Sweety!!! We will all be here for you, even if we are hundreds of miles away!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Morphia
post Apr 23 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #3939

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks so much for all of your caring and support. It means so much to me at such a hard time. I was wondering. What symptoms do you all have when you get yeast infections? Right now I'm just so dry. And honestly, today, I haven't really felt any "twinges" in there. Is it possible to have a yeast infection in which the symptoms only show up during/after sex? Anyway, I did a google search to see if vaginal dryness was a symptom and apparently it isn't. At least not a common one. But its hard for me to tell if I have an infection or not. As I said, I'm so dry right now that there's no way for a discharge of any kind to show itself.

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Apr 23 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #3940

BUSTie

QUOTE(Morphia @ Apr 23 2007, 03:19 AM) *
For my first diagnosis ever with bv I was given a prescription for Clindesse and 2 Diflucan (take one then take the other 5 days later.) I'm thinking that it might be a yeast infection too.

Hi, Morphia: Hang in there, OK? Just a note on Diflucan...it can help prevent/treat SOME species of yeast (Candida) but not all species. You could very well still have a yeast infection caused by one of the more-resistant strains, like Candida glabrata or Candida tropicalis. Thats what I think happened to me, causing lots of burning & pain vaginally. Over-the-counter yeast infection treatments won't help with these species. What helped me was boric acid, even though I was afraid to add anything that was acidic to an already-burny vagina. But it didn't make the burning worse--it helped. Other things that can knock out the hard-to-treat species of yeast are tea tree oil suppositories, and the old-fashioned prescription drug Nystatin, in the vaginal suppository form. (The prescription vaginal cream Gynazole-1 is SUPPOSED to work, but I found it very irritating & most of it came out, even though it was supposed to be formulated to "adhere to the vaginal walls for 3 days.")

Take care & saying a prayer for you.
Maggie

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 195 196 197 198 199 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 03:25 PM