The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

37 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You make me feel like a natural-ly health woman! (Alternative medicine thread)
voodoo_princess
post May 24 2006, 11:40 AM
Post #701

Hardcore BUSTie

what is "vitamin water"? does it have a brand name? or IS that the brand name.... "Vitamin Water"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 24 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #702

Hardcore BUSTie

yup, raskel, sounds like you have a wheat sensitivity...anything that makes you feel really heavy, sloth-like or affects your mucus production should really be examined. Do you generally wake up sort of puffy looking if you've eaten wheat/dairy the night before?

As for vitamins, I always make sure that the ones I take are directly derived from real food sources, nothing synthetic. I take MegaFoods Women's.

Turboman also enjoys the vitamin water...its way better than soda, that's for sure!

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post May 24 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #703

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

hee, raskel, mr.luci is addicted to the vitamin c water...it's like crack or something

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 24 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #704

Hardcore BUSTie

This is why I think I might have a problem with wheat...I woke up at 11:50 (hey, it's my day off) and ate 4 slices of whole grain wheat toast, and 40 minutes later, my eyes are watering and I'm so tired I'm considering a nap an hour after I woke up!!

I'm too lazy to get up to even take my plethora of vitamins. But yes, vitamins DO help with all sorts of things. You should always take 50% more than the recommended amounts of vitamins. I take all my vitamins, which are 100% daily dosage, and then I drink one of those Vitamin Water drinks with lunch. I drink the ones that have 50% of everything in them.

A really good multi vitamin, and a multi mineral are a good base. And if you don't know much about vitamins the waters help. You can just read the label and choose which one you feel like you need. They make them with vitamins specific to certain issues. There's one that's got all sorts of pre-natal vitamins in it, another for healthy skin, one for energy, etc. They have like 12-15 flavors. It's a good place to get your additional vitamins. The ingredients are just vitamins and water and they taste really good. I drink revive and focus all the time. I have a stock pile of vitamin water; 2 cupboards full.

+Quote Post
lucizoe
post May 24 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #705

Mr. Flibble's very cross.

Hee, maddy29, I always feel like crazy Tom Cruise when I talk about that topic :-)

I take a lot of B-complex and Vitamin D. My naturopath administers a vitamin D injection during the winter, like once or twice over 6 months. I also take fish oil and St.John's Wort and the amino acid L-Tyrosine, as well as calcium and magnesium in icky fizzy drink form. I have several food sensitivities that contributed, too. When I manage to go without eating wheat, egg whites, or dairy for any length of time, I do notice a difference in my mood. And then there's just the whole exercise like crazy thing.

Which isn't currently working for me, because I'm not doing it, because I slacked and got depressed again and I'm unmotivated. But based on last summer, when I was consistent with my diet, exercise, and supplements - I was not depressed for the first time since I was four. I had been on Prozac, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Celexa, and Zoloft from the time I was 12 until I stopped at 21.

I think if you can afford a wholistic-type doctor (my naturopath is also an internist, but she doesn't take insurance...) it can be worth it to explore food problems and vitamin deficiencies. I had almost no Vitamin D in my system the first time I had that tested.

Sorry for the ramble...time for lunch!

+Quote Post
maddy29
post May 24 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #706

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been reading a lot in another forum about natural treatments for depression and other stuff. Like, magnesium and tryptophan, and other nutrients and minerals. A lot of people are saying that depression can be cured by figuring out which vitamins to take.

What do people know about this? It makes some sense to me, but I just don't know enough, and the people on that forum that are into vitamins and stuff are kinda trolly..so I need a better opinion.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 24 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #707

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok, pepper, you've got me....I'll give juicing another shot....but seriously, cleaning that thing is a pain in the ass....good idea on the feeding the leftovers to bushes and plants...we've got a nice little community garden that could use it!

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 24 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #708

one more thing about juicing. you can juice nearly all the parts of the fruit and veg that you cut out to throw away and you can so easily compost the pulp making for a NO garbage kitchen in a lot of ways. seriously, even in the city, take that pulp out in a little baggie and feed it to some poor hurtin' city bushes and trees when no one's looking.
broccoli stalks and apple cores (no seeds), veggies that are gonna turn if you don't use them right away, they are all great in juice. it doesn't take a lot and it doesn't have to be expensive. you can improve the flavour of anything with cucumber and apple mixed in too. and ginger ~ZING!~

my mom fed us tofu and buckwheat growing up so i'm naturally inclined to a healther diet. i abused my digestion though with irregular eating, chronic dehydration and lack of regular exercise and i have recurring bouts of ibs too. it really does suck, but it makes me pay attention to what i'm consuming and that's not all bad.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 24 2006, 06:22 AM
Post #709

Hardcore BUSTie

midge - sounds like we are on very similar diets - yahoo! Its always nice to find others who eat like we do! I will say that eating a whole foods diet has gotten tremendously easier in the last couple of years, as there are tons of new products on the market for us. And I've even got a bakery nearby that has gluten-free tuesdays, where they make lots of yummy wheat free and yeast free breads and sweets. I'm not allergic to the yeasties though, just the wheat.

One thing I am thankful for with all of my allergies, is that it forces me to be a healthy person. When I misbehave, my body talks back...and really, I count that as a benefit, as it keeps me honest with my eating. I lost a lot of weight when I made the diet shift, and I've been able to keep most of it off 5yrs later, because I'm eating well and taking care of myself.

midge - what alt pasta products do you like? I've *just* started adding some alt grain pastas back into my diet, and I've found that I really like the spelt pastas from Vita-Spelt, but I haven't found any rice pastas that I like - they get a little gummy and stick in my teeth so bad!

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 23 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #710

Hardcore BUSTie

ps. cloverbee-- are you looking to cut out bread because of the yeast? there are a lot of great yeast-free/sourdough breads available!

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 23 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #711

Hardcore BUSTie

cloverbee--i used to be ibs-d, but now that i've cut out so many foods, it's usually just cramping and urgency. an improvement? i can't really say! it does suck, it's a constant struggle, but hey, what can you do but make the changes you can and deal with it?

i am on a yeast free diet as well (no yeast or fermented foods) because i have some kind of an allergy/intolerance to yeast. any little bit, and my body can't fight it--i cheat a lot eating vinegar, cause it's in everything, but i can definately feel it when i eat too much!

raskel--it's not unhealthy per se to cut out wheat, as long as you replace it with other stuff to keep your diet as balanced as possible. but unless you have an allergy/intolerance there isn't really any reason to cut it out. for some reason, some people get thinking that gluten is bad for you, but that's only true for people with gluten intolerance. cutting out refined flour and sugar on the other hand can be really beneficial whether or not you have an intolerance.

if you really think you have an allergy, i would suggest getting tested by an allergist, because cutting out wheat is a big sacrifice, and i'd want to make sure it was necessary! on the other hand, if you don't want to see an allergist, you can just try not eating (but you have to be strict!) it for a few months and see if it makes a difference, then slowly start eating it again, and see if you get sick.

if you just want to stop eating wheat, there are other breads you can have--spelt, rye, kamut, oat, rice, etc. and just read labels a lot, you will find (especially at health food stores) that there are plenty options for cookies, crackers, cereals, waffles, etc. that are wheat-free. if you are really craving something like pasta, you can try rice pasta, some brands are actually quite good once you get used to them. and you can make your own stuff by buying spelt, kamut, rice, potato, etc. flours and baking with them. plus, quinoa is an awesome multi-purpose food, you can use it in place of pasta, in casseroles, in cold salads (like tabouli)... i could go on, but if you have any specific questions on what brands of certain foods are the tastiest, or anything feel free to ask!

+Quote Post
cloverbee
post May 23 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #712

Hardcore BUSTie

now I want to get a juicer but I don't think I can afford it. I've been eating a lot of lentil soup lately and fresh and dried fruit. dried fruit has a LOT of added sugar, though. I usually eat three van's organic blueberry waffles w/ two morningstar veggie sausage patties for breakfast but I pour a ton of syrup on it and then I need a nap. blah! It's what I live for, though. I would like to cut out all the bread in my diet for once. I'm a huge bread fan. I ate a half of a large pizza last night (I know). anyway, I'm starting a new multivitamin in a couple of days and I'm also doing a yeast cleanse. has anyone done one of these? the ingredients are all natural. my mom says she thinks I have candidae since I crave carbs and bread. who knows. okay, end of rant.
oh, BTW, midge, I also have IBS (the kind w/ constipation). it sucks.

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 23 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #713

Hardcore BUSTie

Yea, any tips on how to cut wheat out of my diet would be awesome. Is it even healthy to cut that out? I know a lot of about food, but that I don't know..

+Quote Post
midgemcgrath
post May 23 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #714

Hardcore BUSTie

cloverbee--interesting regarding regulation, good to note. i have a really bad dairy protein allergy, so i can't eat any of that, but i do eat soy yogurt, and on occasion take probiotics if i'm really feeling outta whack. but i've heard a lot of other people like the activia, so it might be good for other peeps!

turbojenn--yeah, thanks for all the input! i actually have IBS, and food allergies... i'm not able to do cleanses because having an empty digestive system with my IBS is pretty much worse than eating a bucket of fried chicken. but i have already made a lot of dietary changes, done food journaling, and done a lot of work with an allergist, so that's pretty much taken care of.

pepper--i have read that about the honey, and eat a lot of local honey, but i don't know if it really makes a dent in my allergies or not, they are pretty strong (i think partly because i didn't grow up on the west coast, ever since i moved out here i've developed problems)

raskel--that's awesome that you eat so much organic stuff, i think i'm about 3/4 organic or so... re: the wheat allergy, some food allergies really can have that effect, it would be worthwile checking out! i've been on a gluten-free diet for the past 6 months (just starting to reincorporate it as we speak), and it's really not that bad. i can give you some pointers if you like!

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 23 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #715

Hardcore BUSTie

Damn.....my first double post.

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 23 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #716

Hardcore BUSTie

Ohh...frozen fruit, okay. I freeze fruit in ziplock bags, so I guess when I read that I just assumed that's what you were all talking about. I eat a strictly organic diet, so I don't have to worry so much about the additives.

I think I may have a wheat allergy. I just can't fathom how to cut that out of my diet. I notice that after I eat pasta, or a sandwich, or anything like that, I feel like I'm going to pass out. I get so tired I can barely keep my eyes open and just generally feel like crap. But it's soooo good.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post May 23 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #717

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper - I love e3 live - that stuff rocks...I should thaw some out and do some shots this week. My old standby is progreens probiotic powder, but I tell you, that stuff is g r o s s. I have to really want to be good to myself to get it down.

raskel, if you read labels on frozen fruit, they do add sugar to alot of it out there.

I cut out all sugar and fruits for 2 years while I was doing my big lifestyle change, and while that was really good for me, I really wasn't very happy, as I adore fruits, and they never really gave me any trouble. So I have my smoothies in the morning, and with the BioCleanse its a fine start to the day, and serves me fine. Its all about what makes you feel good, right? And that is remarkably different for everyone.

I wish I could get behind my juicer more....but it gets expensive fast, and damn, I just hate cleaning that sucker out. I love to toss a chunk of ginger in my juicer too - zing!

laurenann....when I was starting to cut things out of my diet, I kept a food journal for a long time...I started just with writing down everything I put in my mouth....knowing I had to hold myself accountable by writing it down, I would think twice before putting something bad in my body. And then I wrote down how different foods made me feel an hour after eating them - that was enlightening!

+Quote Post
laurenann
post May 23 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #718

Hardcore BUSTie

what a great idea for a thread! i am an alternative medicine newbie. i'm hesitant to take too many supplements that are not proven, but i also think it would be ridiculous to go on medications for problems like headaches and stomach issues that are definately caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. man, most people in this country must feel so crappy all of the time! for now i am half-heartedly trying to cut back on sugar some more. i was a major sugar addict in college, and i still eat too much.

+Quote Post
raskel
post May 23 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #719

Hardcore BUSTie

Unsweetened fruit? They make sweetened fruit?? I'm confused.

+Quote Post
pepper
post May 23 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #720

clover, if you're trying to cut down on sugar fruit juice is definately out. i love my juicer for veggie juice, not a lot of carrot ('cause that's very high in sugar too) but celery, cucumber, kale, etc with a bit of carrot, beet, apple or pear thrown in. awesome, amazing for digestions, lots of easily absorbed vitamins and minerals.
i do like smoothies but, again, that's a lot of sugar. green drinks are the way to go for me.
have you tried e3 live? it's amazing stuff.
midge, local honey and bee pollen can help with allergies. you do need to take it well in advance of allergy season but it's a nice gentle treatment.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 03:34 AM