Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Writer's Block
little_idiot
post Oct 5 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #141

BUSTie

Another important thing is to get to know the market you want to write for. In a writing workshop last year, my prof had us read a ton of lit mags and then decide how our work would or wouldn't fit. I write mostly short stories and occasionally essays and poetry, so I was reading pretty widely for this project. I found some magazines that were way above my level (think the New Yorker) and some that I wouldn't even WANT my work in. Some do themed issues, and some magazines always have the same theme, like nature or urban issues or whatever. Some only publish poetry, or short stories; some will take photos or artwork as well.
Reading the contributor's notes can be pretty intimidating--most of the writers are already very established, have a PhD. from Yale or have won the Pushcart Prize or have had 6 books published, but there are usually at least one or two that haven't had anything published before. Some magazines especially welcome material from unknown writers. clmp.org has some good information for writers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spirit lust
post Oct 5 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #142

QUOTE(saktii @ May 6 2006, 01:14 PM) *

My question is this: How do i go about getting a short story published? Alot of magazines don't seem to want to take unsolicited material, so does this mean I need to get an agent? <BR>Should I just spend the money to self-publish (there are place here in SF that do that, but it seems kind of like a scam)? <BR>This is what I really should be doing with my life, but I don't have any idea how to get my stuff out there.

Hey saktii, are you still interested?

I write for magazines and newspaper (non-fiction though), and can answer some of these q's.

Getting a short story published - email editors and talk to them about it. Sell the idea to them, show your enthusiasm. Take the time to research the editor's name (in print or online copies) and make it personal; tell them a bit about you and your drive. Connecting with an editor personally is the best way to ensure that they're honest and take the time to explain things to you.
Also - read website 'submission guidelines' - they'll outline how to do it. Most mags and journals have them online.

Unsolicited material - that just means they won't publish it unseen. If you email them and propose the story to them, and they're interested in having a read, that is solicited. It's just a term for their conscious interest in your piece. You don't need an agent (though I work in non-fiction, and if you're going longer, you might look into that. but you don't need an agent for a one-time publishing in a mag or journal).

Self-publish - I can't answer that, but read and discuss with people who can here:
http://www.writers.net/forum/
and here:
http://www.freelancewriting.com/forums/index.php
The Freelancewriting site also has a list of markets that you can approach, it's a good tool. Be wary of scammers, etc, use your wits and be familiar with the journal/mag first, either in print or online.

If it's really what you want to do with your life, get into it. Read about how to go about it, from library books and online forums/sites. I haven't studied journalism and now it's my career (as well as being mom) - I've just learned through reading and experience. If I can, you can.

I'll check back if anyone wants to ask me about my ideas, or PM me.

Go well
Rebecca

+Quote Post
venetia
post Sep 8 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #143

Hardcore BUSTie

Argh, I wish I wasn't on dial-up.

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Aug 22 2006, 09:38 AM
Post #144

Hardcore BUSTie

There's a Canadian show called Imprint that did a little episode on dreaded rejection letters and how some Ontario authors cope here's the broadcast

This one...

a rejection letter from a chinese economics journal:

If we publish your paper it would be impossible for us to publish any work of a lower standard... we are to our regret, compelled to return your divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to overlook our short sight and timidity.

laugh.gif Gentle? Sarcastic? You be the judge. But I can just imagine the argumentative responses they might have got to their brutally honest rejection letters, to provoke the form letter above.

+Quote Post
demoness
post May 17 2006, 05:18 AM
Post #145

BUSTie

Saktii, i hope this helps:

http://www.blogit.com/Blogs/Redir/?189

+Quote Post
demoness
post May 17 2006, 05:18 AM
Post #146

BUSTie

Saktii, i hope this helps:

http://www.blogit.com/Blogs/Redir/?189

+Quote Post
venetia
post May 7 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #147

Hardcore BUSTie

If you are thinking about self-publishing then I've heard it's better to absolutely publish it yourself than to get involved with a "vanity press" or scam outfit. Like, it makes you look better to just do it yourself than to get involved with something dodgy.

+Quote Post
saktii
post May 6 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #148

Hardcore BUSTie

My question is this: How do i go about getting a short story published? Alot of magazines don't seem to want to take unsolicited material, so does this mean I need to get an agent?
Should I just spend the money to self-publish (there are place here in SF that do that, but it seems kind of like a scam)?
This is what I really should be doing with my life, but I don't have any idea how to get my stuff out there.

--------------------
[font=Comic Sans Ms][b][i]"I found God and all his devils inside her.."[color=#CC0000]

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24, 2014 - 05:58 PM