Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
embarrassed10
post Oct 12 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #61

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Oct 13 2012, 08:41 AM) *
From my personal experience, as long as your colleagues can smell the odor coming from you, they will continue to alienate you. That is what people will naturally do as they probably find the odor repulsive. Try not to take their comments personally since they don't know what your going through. I'm sure they would be a lot more sympathetic and understanding if they knew that your dealing with a chronic health condition, but understandably, talking about something so intimate is very difficult, especially with people you may not be very close with.

Try to just relax (chamomile tea is very helpful for this) and think of your situation constructively. Think about your plan of action for your sudden onset of bacterial vaginosis. I don't know the kinds of things your doing on a daily basis to prevent a recurrence of bacterial vaginosis, but RepHresh Pro-B is tremendously helpful for taking everyday. It's clinically proven to work and it comes with a $2.00 coupon inside for your next purchase. There is another probiotic that came out called Provella which has a $6.00 coupon on their website, and an $8.00 coupon if you take a survey. It looks promising so I personally plan on trying it out at some point to see if it may work even better than RepHresh Pro-B since it has more strains of bacteria in it. It's available over the counter, so it's definitely not a sketchy product.

Removing refined grains, as well as all grains and all added sugars has drastically improved my vaginitis. I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I guess in my case it has to do with my intestinal flora being imbalanced as well. Grain products and sugar is notorious for exacerbating imbalances in people with digestive disorders. It improved so much to the point where people who were so used to noticing the odor would discretely come close to me to see if they could detect it, which they couldn't. Many women have gone grain and sugar free and noticed drastic improvement, so I don't think this is exclusive to people with gastrointestinal disorders.

Not wearing pants and jeans helps too. I've noticed the thicker material of jeans tends to exacerbate things, probably from the lack of circulation to the vulva and vagina.

Stay strong; I'm sure things will improve for you since your bacterial vaginosis seems to clear up occasionally.
Your welcome!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Oct 12 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #62

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(embarrassed10 @ Oct 12 2012, 12:01 AM) *
just come across this forum and need some advice. I have suffered with bouts of BV on and off for years. My recent bout has been discovered by some work colleagues on a night out and now i am the butt of office jokes, as if im not even there. No one wants to talk to me anymore. Im absolutely devastated and mortified I just cant face going in there every day. Any advice?

From my personal experience, as long as your colleagues can smell the odor coming from you, they will continue to alienate you. That is what people will naturally do as they probably find the odor repulsive. Try not to take their comments personally since they don't know what your going through. I'm sure they would be a lot more sympathetic and understanding if they knew that your dealing with a chronic health condition, but understandably, talking about something so intimate is very difficult, especially with people you may not be very close with.

Try to just relax (chamomile tea is very helpful for this) and think of your situation constructively. Think about your plan of action for your sudden onset of bacterial vaginosis. I don't know the kinds of things your doing on a daily basis to prevent a recurrence of bacterial vaginosis, but RepHresh Pro-B is tremendously helpful for taking everyday. It's clinically proven to work and it comes with a $2.00 coupon inside for your next purchase. There is another probiotic that came out called Provella which has a $6.00 coupon on their website, and an $8.00 coupon if you take a survey. It looks promising so I personally plan on trying it out at some point to see if it may work even better than RepHresh Pro-B since it has more strains of bacteria in it. It's available over the counter, so it's definitely not a sketchy product.

Removing refined grains, as well as all grains and all added sugars has drastically improved my vaginitis. I'm on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I guess in my case it has to do with my intestinal flora being imbalanced as well. Grain products and sugar is notorious for exacerbating imbalances in people with digestive disorders. It improved so much to the point where people who were so used to noticing the odor would discretely come close to me to see if they could detect it, which they couldn't. Many women have gone grain and sugar free and noticed drastic improvement, so I don't think this is exclusive to people with gastrointestinal disorders.

Not wearing pants and jeans helps too. I've noticed the thicker material of jeans tends to exacerbate things, probably from the lack of circulation to the vulva and vagina.

Stay strong; I'm sure things will improve for you since your bacterial vaginosis seems to clear up occasionally.

QUOTE(princessmombi @ Sep 30 2012, 09:24 PM)
hi swt!
LOVE the Pro B!!!!! I happened to see it at Walmart so I picked it up, it was 30 damn dollars tho that kind of blew me but its so good i won't complain ill just load up on coupons and stock up during the sales. I have only been using the pro b for 5 days but so far I like it even more than the fem d! I hadn't used fem d in over a month and my bv was back full force but the pro b started to work the first day and now I'm totally back to norm!!!! Normal discharge and no smell. I really agree with you about the refrigeration thing, just because I get it cold doesn't mean that it didn't sit on a warm truck from the distributor to the iHerb warehouse so it's just not worth it to go through all the trouble and expense of ordering it. Thanks for ur suggestion

Your welcome!

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
embarrassed10
post Oct 11 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #63

just come across this forum and need some advice. I have suffered with bouts of BV on and off for years. My recent bout has been discovered by some work colleagues on a night out and now i am the butt of office jokes, as if im not even there. No one wants to talk to me anymore. Im absolutely devastated and mortified I just cant face going in there every day. Any advice?

+Quote Post
princessmombi
post Sep 30 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Sep 8 2012, 02:35 PM) *
That's one of the main reasons why I switched from Fem-Dophilus to RepHresh Pro-B even though it's generally more expensive. RepHresh Pro-B is freeze dried. I don't really trust refrigerated probiotics anymore. RepHresh Pro-B has been on sale for around $20 at my local Walgreens lately, but, I don't expect that to last very long.

hi swt!
LOVE the Pro B!!!!! wub.gif I happened to see it at Walmart so I picked it up, it was 30 damn dollars tho that kind of blew me but its so good i won't complain ill just load up on coupons and stock up during the sales. I have only been using the pro b for 5 days but so far I like it even more than the fem d! I hadn't used fem d in over a month and my bv was back full force but the pro b started to work the first day and now I'm totally back to norm!!!! Normal discharge and no smell. I really agree with you about the refrigeration thing, just because I get it cold doesn't mean that it didn't sit on a warm truck from the distributor to the iHerb warehouse so it's just not worth it to go through all the trouble and expense of ordering it. Thanks for ur suggestion wink.gif

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Sep 8 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #65

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(princessmombi @ Sep 3 2012, 10:55 AM) *
And one thing i wanted to share, i have a family member who works for whole foods and he stated to me that femd does not come to them refrigerated. He gets it off the truck himself and it arrives in boxes, warm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif So keep in mind these stores might have them in the fridge at purchase but you dont know how long it spent on a truck and in the warm months that could mean that its lost potency quite a bit by the time you take it.

That's one of the main reasons why I switched from Fem-Dophilus to RepHresh Pro-B even though it's generally more expensive. RepHresh Pro-B is freeze dried. I don't really trust refrigerated probiotics anymore. RepHresh Pro-B has been on sale for around $20 at my local Walgreens lately, but, I don't expect that to last very long.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
princessmombi
post Sep 3 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #66

Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone else experienced vaginal dryness with the use of femdophilus (oral). I know this is tmi but my stuff was never dry before during sex and now it is :/ i just want a normal pum pum ! And on top of that whenever i stop the femd my smell comes back. Swt simplicty i think the fruit and veggie thing is excellent advice im gonna start eating more nutrients and see if that makes a difference with my vaginal mucous. And one thing i wanted to share, i have a family member who works for whole foods and he stated to me that femd does not come to them refrigerated. He gets it off the truck himself and it arrives in boxes, warm blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif So keep in mind these stores might have them in the fridge at purchase but you dont know how long it spent on a truck and in the warm months that could mean that its lost potency quite a bit by the time you take it. I prefer toget mine from iherb because it is kept refrigerated and arrives packed cold and before 10 am the next day and if u buy a few at a time the $12 extra it cost to get priority next day shipping pays for itself!! Just my two cents! Happy labor day errybody be safe!!

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Aug 30 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #67

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 29 2012, 07:42 PM) *
Thank you smile.gif that is good info, although I was hoping you would say it was OK since I am looking for ANYTHING to help me control my symptoms. Has anyone had success with the garlic clove or yogurt insertion treatment?? seems a little less invasive than douching.

what about other health factors? I also suffer from frequent indigestion/constipation, allergies & mild-moderate asthma.. do you think that could having something to do with it???

I know how you feel. I've tried douching (once), plain yogurt insertion at bed time and a garlic suppository. All of them didn't help and actually caused my vaginitis to get worse. The garlic actually mixed with my natural vaginal scent and created a very unpleasant aroma that lasted until the following day and it also burned even when I wrapped it in gauze. The yogurt also created a strong odor that smelled like dry erase markers. The douching didn't work; it just rinsed me out and also increased the odor for what ever reason. But then again, everyone is different. However, nobody has ever broken down those treatments to an exact science proving why they work, how much to use, what brand etc. That is usually the problem.

I think if your willing to try alternative treatments, you can see a doctor or practitioner who specializes in alternative medicine or complementary/integrative medicine. A lot of them actually go to medical school and are certified and specialize in holistic remedies. They can also help you with any preexisting conditions.

I've frequented other forums where women who have digestive issues often have reoccurring vaginal infections such as bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections. Some of them noticed that after they started experiencing digestive issues, they started having problems with vaginal infections. It makes a lot of sense since the digestive tract makes up 70% of the immune system. If something is going wrong in the digestive tract, various organs in the body will show signs of disturbance.

I've been reading a lot of scientific literature stating that our society is so clean that people are more likely these days to have gastrointestinal disorders, eczema, allergies and asthma. One of the best ways for our bodies to build immunity is through ingesting microorganisms. Since were not getting enough exposure to these organisms, our bodies tend to overreact to even common toxins (like dust, pollen, milk, nuts etc.) causing inflammation. This inflammation, especially if it is chronic is not good. Chronic inflammation increases the likelihood of infection among even more serious things like cancer.

Have you tried using an acidifying vaginal gel? Replens (here) and RepHresh Vaginal Gel (here) have low pH's. Some women on here have had success with BalanceActiv (here), but you might want to search through the forum to read about their specific cases. BalanceActiv is specifically marketed towards women with bacterial vaginosis in Europe. You can only get it online. It's a mainstream treatment for bacterial vaginosis in Europe. We unfortunately don't have one yet. You want to use something that will lower your vaginal pH and create a very hostile environment for the harmful bacteria. This will be helpful for lactobacilli as well. Those gels have pH buffers which contain glycogen which feed the lactic acid bacterial (lactobacilli). You should also take probiotics, probably for a very long time until your sure that your pretty stable in terms of vaginal health. Fem-Dophilus (here) is your best bet and it comes in the 60 count bottle. I used to order mine off of the internet, but I suggest picking it up from a health food store if you can and bring a cooler with ice packs in it with you to keep it cold on the way back home. Once my order came a day late and that isn't good for cold items. You'll probably need to take two capsules everyday until you notice an improvement after that, you can take one capsule if you feel ready to.

Chronic bacterial vaginosis often requires longer treatments. A lot of women have a had a lot of success with strict regimen's while others hit the jackpot using a combination of things and their bacterial vaginosis never returns. But most importantly, try to be skeptical of treatments and careful with whatever your trying.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaylan80
post Aug 29 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #68

Thank you smile.gif that is good info, although I was hoping you would say it was OK since I am looking for ANYTHING to help me control my symptoms. Has anyone had success with the garlic clove or yogurt insertion treatment?? seems a little less invasive than douching.

what about other health factors? I also suffer from frequent indigestion/constipation, allergies & mild-moderate asthma.. do you think that could having something to do with it???

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Aug 27 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #69

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 26 2012, 08:36 PM) *
hi all,

my question is about douching and chronic bv. I have heard it so many times NOT to douch because this makes bv worse, but all the most popular remedies (hydrogen peroxide, betadine, apple cider vinegar) all involve using the remedy as douche. Is it possible these do harm as well as good?? I'm really struggling with repeated bouts of bacterial vaginosis, but I already have a very healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and I don't know what else to try, any advice is appreciated..

Hi Kaylan,

I'm sorry to hear your dealing with chronic bacterial vaginosis. I have a couple of suggestions for you.

The main issue with douching and bacterial vaginosis is it can propel harmful microorganisms past the cervix. Keep in mind, the vagina is trying to stay acidic in order to protect the uterus and sexual reproductive organs from infection and disease. If harmful bacteria get past the cervix, there are serious consequences, such as pelvic inflammatory disease which is chronic and can lead to infertility among other things.

I'm familiar with those remedies that your talking about that suggest things such as douching with apple cider vinegar, betadine, or hydrogen peroxide etc. Something to consider when treating an infection such as bacterial vaginosis is the bacteria or microorganisms that are causing the infection. Sometimes certain formulations are too weak to have much of an effect on the bacteria, or the bacteria will learn to adapt in order to survive. Certain formulations are not appropriate for treating certain infectious microorganisms.

I think in the case of chronic bacterial vaginosis, douching won't have much of an effect since the bacteria being dealt with is probably very resistant and hard to treat so something like apple cider vinegar, betadine or hydrogen peroxide would be too weak to treat it. If you plan on trying herbal remedies, I'll leave some reliable sources that you can use to get reliable information pertaining to herbal remedies, integrative medicine, complementary medicine and alternative medicine (all of which deal with natural remedies). You may want to look into remedies that enhance immune function and display broad spectrum antimicrobial activity. I've reviewed plenty of studies that have used natural herbs to fight bacteria, parasites and some viruses. But supplements aren't regulated and the strength varies, and you can never be too sure of how much you need in order to see a difference, but many of them do have an effect.

It's great to know your on a healthy vegetarian diet. Vegetarian diets are definitely one of the healthiest so long as the diet is a well balanced vegetarian diet. You may or may not know this, but I'll mention it just in case (as well as for others who may consider going vegetarian). Certain nutrients aren't as bio-available in vegetarian diets, particularly zinc, iron, calcium, protein, vitamin D and omega 3's. Those nutrients have a higher bioavailability in meat and diary products than from plant foods. Vegetarian diets can also decrease the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals. I'll leave some suggested links you can read about on this.

Vitamin D has been linked to a higher prevalence of bacterial vaginosis. Normally it's associated with bone health, but it also serves an important role in immune function as well. A lack of zinc hasn't been directly linked to bacterial vaginosis, but it does serve a very important role in the body ranging from immune function, wound healing and proper cell function (source). Vitamin B12 also serves an important role in cell synthesis. Iron carries oxygen to cells, and most women to not get enough causing anemia, and we also menstruate every month too which also affects iron stores in the body. Protein is highly abundant and serves many roles in the body, way too many to even begin mentioning, but all very important as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with a registered dietitian to be sure your diet contains adequate amounts of essential nutrients and trace minerals just to be on the safe side.

Suggestive Sources:
  1. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Fact Sheet
  2. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
  3. Office of Dietary Supplements
  4. Bioavailability of Iron, Zinc and Other Trace Minerals from Vegetarian Diets
  5. Factors in Vegetarian Diets Influencing Iron and Zinc Bioavailability (also talks about what decreases bioavailability and what you can do to increase availability of certain minerals and nutrients)

Good luck Kaylan
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaylan80
post Aug 26 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #70

hi all,

my question is about douching and chronic bv. I have heard it so many times NOT to douch because this makes bv worse, but all the most popular remedies (hydrogen peroxide, betadine, apple cider vinegar) all involve using the remedy as douche. Is it possible these do harm as well as good?? I'm really struggling with repeated bouts of bacterial vaginosis, but I already have a very healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and I don't know what else to try, any advice is appreciated..

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Aug 21 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #71

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(arj75 @ Aug 12 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with chronic bv for longer than I care to think of. My heart goes out to you all! I have used probiotics off and on during the years. I believe as our science advances, that an end to this problem is in sight. When I have time, I try to educate myself and keep up with any new clinical studies as they become available.

Swt Simplicity - I noticed that you suggested adding prebiotics into our diets. I have read some case studies..(mostly involving animals ) lol that prebiotics are just as complex as probiotics. XOS, IMO, GOS, GTO, FOS, MOS to name some. If I remember correctly IMO supported the lactobacillus group the best. I commonly see what foods can provide the body with GOS, but not FOS, or IMO. Have you came across any helpful information concerning the prebiotics?

Of the studies that I have read about prebiotics, the results are very promising. However, most of the studies I have read tend to be very brief and they don't contain large enough sample groups, nor are these studies very comprehensive. I don't think the science world has fully caught onto studying prebiotics yet. I'm sure that is the next thing to come considering so much research has been done on probiotics.

When eating prebiotics, it's important to be careful of the source. One substance that has one of the highest levels of prebiotics is chicory root; a lot of companies have been fortifying their energy bars and granola bars with it. The chicory root allows the company to claim the product is high in fiber. The interesting thing is, chicory root has been shown to boost good bacteria in the intestines, but some research has shown it also boosts unhealthy bacteria in the intestines as well. It seems as though chicory root doesn't specifically target the healthy bacteria, but potentially all of the bacteria. If someone has poor intestinal flora, they could be making their intestinal flora worse by feeding the predominating unhealthy bacteria. Chicory has been shown to cause digestive issues in some people, such as gas (fermenting bacteria), abdominal cramping (high fiber content), gastrointestinal irritation, bloating ... it goes to show how important it is to do a little bit of research when marching into unfamiliar territory. Most of those energy bars are also very high in sugar as well.

A recent alert going on in the food industry has been due to acrylamide. A compound that forms when carbohydrates are cooked past 248 degrees Fahrenheit that is shown to cause cancer. Potato chips and french fries have the highest levels of acrylamide. Coffee, breakfast cereals, baked breads, donuts, and similar processed foods also contain high levels of acrylamide if they are cooked at or past 248 degrees Fahrenheit. Researchers are now trying to alter the compounds that form acrylamide (source).

The unfortunate thing about these health alerts is they are rarely made public.

--------------------

+Quote Post
arj75
post Aug 12 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #72

Hardcore BUSTie

Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with chronic bv for longer than I care to think of. My heart goes out to you all! I have used probiotics off and on during the years. I believe as our science advances, that an end to this problem is in sight. When I have time, I try to educate myself and keep up with any new clinical studies as they become available.

Swt Simplicity - I noticed that you suggested adding prebiotics into our diets. I have read some case studies..(mostly involving animals ) lol that prebiotics are just as complex as probiotics. XOS, IMO, GOS, GTO, FOS, MOS to name some. If I remember correctly IMO supported the lactobacillus group the best. I commonly see what foods can provide the body with GOS, but not FOS, or IMO. Have you came across any helpful information concerning the prebiotics?

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Aug 4 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #73

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kvee @ Aug 1 2012, 01:45 PM) *
[b]Hello everyone.

I am not sure for how long I have been suffering from BV. My only symptom is the fishy smell. I have congenital anosmia (no sense of smell). My boyfriend told me a few months ago about the smell, made an appt with my gyno and she Rx Metro Gel, the smell went away from March til July. I am a stinker again. A few days ago, the boyfriend told me that he had noticed the smell since we started dating (3 years ago) but always connected it to sweat and hot climate. That's why I say that I have no idea for how long Ive been dealing with this, if none of my other partners before him thought much about it..

So, I do not really want to get on antibiotics again so Ive been doing research on this topic and it's humbling to see how many of us suffer from this, some are stories with happy endings and others no to much.

This is my second day on this home remedy ordeal.
I bought some cranberry pills ( cranberry is supposed to acts as a barrier to bacteria)
I also started introduced probiotics to my diet (Kefir and good ol' plain yogurt - make sure they have live cultures)
As a vaginal treatment. I bought cheap probiotics at walmart (non refrigerated) and pulverized them. Then I mixed them with this milk-based probiotic super liquid (Found in the vitamin refrigerated section at Sprouts). Made I paste and applied it with the applicator I got with the MetroGel.

I am wondering, though.. if I am doing something stupid here. I am taking cranberry ( which is a barrier to all bacteria?) and then introducing bacteria.. that might not stay in because of the cranberry.

My question is, does cranberry works for good and bad bacteria. I am aware that BV is an imbalance of bacteria, and the bad boys are taking ove
Thank you much!
[/b]

Hi!

After reading your story, I'd like to offer some of my advice. I have a lot of advice to give, so here goes ...

A probiotic should be taken whole since it is meant to survive the low pH of the stomach acid (which is a pH of 2) and dissolve within the small and large intestine. Certain strains of probiotics won't adhere to the vaginal epithelium either, such as dairy sourced lactobacillus acidophilus and most probiotics that are found over the counter as those are sourced from dairy. I don't know what brand or type of probiotic bacteria your taking but, you want a high amount of colony forming units (cfu's) if you want a noticeable effect. A small amount of CFU's (such as a billion or less) will only provide a therapeutic effect which is beneficial to those who are taking probiotics for general welling being, but not enough to be noticeable in someone with an active infection or GI dysfunction. Aim for 5 million or more CFU's. Kudos for purchasing the plain yogurt and kefir. Is the kefir plain too?

Eating plain yogurt 2-3 times a day is also very beneficial. Even though yogurt on average has 100 million live bacteria at the time of manufacture (which is a very small amount), the bacteria often survives the harsh stomach acid and it passes through the GI tract crowding out harmful bacteria. It would be better if you could make your own yogurt at home. It's very easy since there are affordable yogurt machines and you can buy the cultures too. It's fresher and there will be more live bacteria at the time of consumption. Yogurt on store shelves could have been sitting around for days; by the time you eat the yogurt, most of the bacteria may not have survived. I highly suggest that you take a probiotic like Fem-Dophilus or RepHresh Pro B. Those are the only probiotics that are clinically proven to work for the balancing the vaginal flora including women with bacterial vaginosis. I've tried them both and they helped me so much.

I don't think probiotics that are meant to be digested will dissolve properly or work well applied in the vagina since most probiotics have coatings on them. Of the vaginal suppositories that I've heard of, none of them have really proven to be successful in treating bacterial vaginosis. Not even boric acid is successful in treating bacterial vaginosis. It works for a short time and then the infection comes right back, and it's probably not healthy to be putting a strong acid in the vagina over and over again, plus it kills the healthy bacteria too; it's mainly helpful for stubborn yeast infections. I know one brand in particular that is sold at drugstores called V.H. Essentials BV Treatment suppositories; it has a lot of great reviews on Amazon, getting 3.5/5 stars from 91 reviews. But, I'm skeptical of whether it works or not. In my opinion, it seems too good to be true.

Then there is another suppository called Pur Fem which seems promising. It contains an abundant amount of healthy bacteria (10 billion at the time of manufacture) called lactobacillus rhamnosus and lactobacillus gasseri that is normally found in the vaginal flora of healthy women. I'm skeptical of this as well since it doesn't state whether the bacteria count will stay alive by the expiration date. There could be a lot of dead bacteria in the suppositories by the time someone uses it. And another strange thing is, it's being recommended for trichomoniasis which is an STD, and I'm pretty sure that can't be treated with probiotics.

I also highly suggest eating prebiotics which are non-digestible fibers that are naturally occuring in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Prebiotics stimulate healthy bacteria in the GI tract because fibers don't break down so the intestinal bacteria has to ferment them; this action is what stimulates the colonic bacteria. Foods high in prebiotics are generally foods that are high in fiber such as raw Jerusalem artichoke, garlic, dandelion greens, onions, raw asparagus, bananas, whole wheat flour, raw wheat bran, soy beans, oat, groats, etc. Cooking these foods denatures the nutrients and fibers inside, so it's best to eat those foods raw or steam them to allow the fiber to work it's magic.

I know cranberry juice is good for preventing urinary tract infections; I don't know if the same applies for bacterial vaginosis. You can keep taking it to see if it helps. It couldn't hurt.

Also, make sure your getting the recommended daily amount of vitamin A in your diet, which is 600 micrograms a day. It's a nutrient that is very important for the vaginal epithelium (the cells that line the vagina) as well as the epithelium of the intestines too. An unhealthy vaginal epithelium is more likely to become infected since the cells, lining and mucous aren't functioning properly. A healthy epithelium produces a healthy lining and healthy mucous which protects from harmful microorganisms. Dark green vegetables, deep orange vegetables and purple fruits are an excellent source of vitamin A. One cup of sweet potatoes contains over 400% of the RDA, which is okay since the tolerable intake is as high as 3,000 micrograms per day.

Some things to keep in mind about nutrients is absorption. Certain nutrients are absorbed better when they are taken along with other nutrients. For example, iron is absorbed well in the presence of vitamin C; vitamin E deficiency affects the absorption and storage of vitamin A; calcium and magnesium also work well together. The beauty of whole foods is they often contain an abundance of nutrients that function well together. For example, the sweet potato is high in vitamin A, but it also contains other vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B6, tryptophan, potassium, fiber, vitamin B5, copper, and vitamin B3. All of those nutrients can't be found in one vitamin or supplement pill; even if they were, the supplement would be expensive. All of those nutrients work together and enhance each others absorption.

Americans generally don't have to worry about nutrient deficiencies. It's pretty rare in the U.S.A. The main issue is mostly saturated fats, trans fat, hydrogenated foods etc. ... these things can alter a persons blood lipid profile (which accounts for cholesterol [HDL and LDL], triglycerides and lipoproteins (all of which carry very important functions throughout the body). Cholesterol aids in the synthesis of vitamin D and hormones, while triglycerides are the major storage form of fat in the body, lipoproteins transport fats in the blood. Improper functioning of someones blood lipids can result in metabolic disorders that kill millions of people every year. In short, saturated fats, trans fats and hydrogenated foods etc. increase the risk of bacterial vaginosis (source).

And, if you continue to take antibiotics, or anything that is going to kill a lot of the bacterial flora in your intestines and/or urogenital tract (vagina and urinary tract), make sure you take a probiotic everyday. It's critical to replenish the lost bacteria since the depletion of healthy bacteria can further exacerbate your infection.

I'm sending good vibes your way and hoping your infection goes away for good.
I know it can be very frustrating.

Good luck!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kvee
post Aug 2 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Aug 1 2012, 09:20 PM) *
Hi Kvee,

I don;t think your boyfriend saying you smell is enough to know for sure what the problem is. How did your doctor diagnose you? i wouldn't worry about cranberry doing anything, I would worry that your home vaginal treatment is going to make the problem worse. I would make another appointment ASAP, have an exam and if you get antibiotics, get pills not a gel, and ask to have some for your boyfriend too. I think metro-gel gives a lot of problems with BV coming back, but try the antibiotics again and take them just as prescribed. IF you truely have BV you need to try medication a few times, it SHOULD clear it up. Good luck

Kayla

hi Kayla,

Sorry I didnt mentioned I was diagnosed with BV and went on antibiotics treatments prescribed by my OBGYN but the BV always comes back. I do not want to spend my life on antibiotics.

Last night, my bf mentioned that the smell is less pronounced. I am doing the treatment again today and hopefully the smell will be less and less. Remember, I have no sense of smell, so I have to wait for someone to smell me sad.gif

Thank you

+Quote Post
kaylan80
post Aug 1 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #75

Hi Kvee,

I don;t think your boyfriend saying you smell is enough to know for sure what the problem is. How did your doctor diagnose you? i wouldn't worry about cranberry doing anything, I would worry that your home vaginal treatment is going to make the problem worse. I would make another appointment ASAP, have an exam and if you get antibiotics, get pills not a gel, and ask to have some for your boyfriend too. I think metro-gel gives a lot of problems with BV coming back, but try the antibiotics again and take them just as prescribed. IF you truely have BV you need to try medication a few times, it SHOULD clear it up. Good luck

Kayla

QUOTE(kvee @ Aug 1 2012, 12:45 PM) *
[b]Hello everyone.

I am not sure for how long I have been suffering from BV. My only symptom is the fishy smell. I have congenital anosmia (no sense of smell). My boyfriend told me a few months ago about the smell, made an appt with my gyno and she Rx Metro Gel, the smell went away from March til July. I am a stinker again. A few days ago, the boyfriend told me that he had noticed the smell since we started dating (3 years ago) but always connected it to sweat and hot climate. That's why I say that I have no idea for how long Ive been dealing with this, if none of my other partners before him thought much about it..

So, I do not really want to get on antibiotics again so Ive been doing research on this topic and it's humbling to see how many of us suffer from this, some are stories with happy endings and others no to much.

I bought some cranberry pills ( cranberry is supposed to acts as a barrier to bacteria)
I also started introduced probiotics to my diet (Kefir and good ol' plain yogurt - make sure they have live cultures)
As a vaginal treatment. I bought cheap probiotics at walmart (non refrigerated) and pulverized them. Then I mixed them with this milk-based probiotic super liquid (Found in the vitamin refrigerated section at Sprouts). Made I paste and applied it with the applicator I got with the MetroGel.

I am wondering, though.. if I am doing something stupid here. I am taking cranberry ( which is a barrier to all bacteria?) and then introducing bacteria.. that might not stay in because of the cranberry.

My question is, does cranberry works for good and bad bacteria. I am aware that BV is an imbalance of bacteria, and the bad boys are taking ove
Thank you much!
[/b]

+Quote Post
kvee
post Aug 1 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #76

[b]Hello everyone.

Thank you much!
[/b]

+Quote Post
iwillsurvive
post Jun 26 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #77

QUOTE(iwillsurvive @ Jun 25 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I have been dealing with this imbalance for over 12 years! Just two years ago I researched the boric acid and it cleared up for about a year. I used y. arrest and it worked but when they changed the formula--it now does not work. I make my own boric acid suppositories & just last week I started using a liquid acidophilus filling suppositories up with it and using it along with my boric acid. After using the boric acid alone for 3 weeks(it cleared up after 3 days on the boric acid)but two days after I stopped it came back. So I restarted again this time including the acidophilus & garlic pills. I was inserting the acidophilus suppositories during the day & orally taking it with meals. Then at night the boric acid suppositories. Did this for another week. So a total of 4 weeks this time around. After a few days I smell the ammonia coming back and that alerts me that my bv is about to begin again. So I am starting back... AGAIN! The thing with chronic bv is that (well how I feel about it ) is that you will always have to monitor it and get on a maintenance program. Like dieting. As a matter of fact I know sugar can affect bv negatively but also vitamin deficiencies can make you susceptible to chronic bv. I am still researching methods & also checking into my own vitamin deficiencies .... Still after all these years. I do not want to smell unpleasant around the one I love or anyone even myself! I really hate hate dealing with this and worrying about it. The fishy smell used to be so so so bad. Like when I workout not even a bulky pad could mask the stink but I have to be thankful that at least I can control it before it gets that far but I cannot even be off the boric acid for too long(like two days) before the smell starts. Chronic ! I hate this with a passion! I am still experimenting. I cannot use any of the perioxide stuff because it burns(didnt work anyways). I think they say if we are low in zinc we may be setting ourselves up for chronic bv but if you researching other vitamins they list others too. I have learned more about my condition in the past two months. Really it should be called an imbalance and you cannot treat with only antibiotics. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria(I dont know how much) but thats kinda defeating the purpose of the vagina in need of good bacteria. I also can state that my diet has been the best in years.... I do low carbs (under 30 mg per day) & no bread or pasta no wheat. I drink 140 + ounces of water per day and have been for the last 6 months. So I can rule out my diet being a contributor of this chronic bv. Just keep on tweeking your maintenance program or get on one and also keep researching other methods. I have never had my ph checked I may do that too just so I can know what it is. Just keep on keeping on. I wished that the y.a I used before never had changed their formula. It cleared up my bv for months. The boric acid I use know is what you get at the pharmacy but maybe it is just not strong enough for me like the y.a was. I hate that! I will keep trying so should you all. I will keep you informed of my progress and also the treatments I am using. If more details are needed I will provide them for anyone. If anyone has any questions that I can answer from my experience of this chronic bv I will be more than happy to answer them. By the way even though I am somewhat controlling my bv with the boric acid I still never got rid of the slight brown discharge. So that gives me a hint that this boric acid may be too weak for me because with the original formula of the y.a it cleared up the odor and discharge. Also, it left me dry! I missed that formula. I am thinking not all boric acid strengths are alike.

UPDATE: I called the pharmacy and asked if there is a such thing as prescription strength boric acid or if some people do better with a different brand. She totally missed my question. She states that there are 400 or 600 mg suppository capsules that they can make for customers. I checked the MSDS and it states what I have is nearly 100% boric acid then that is what you get. I wonder if it is true that boric acid can maybe deplete the good bacteria and or maybe I need to develop a better boric acid & probiotic system. Like I stated earlier the y.a worked (the old formula) and kept the bv away for a while. This boric acid I am using(I bought it off of Ebay) Humco seems not to be working for me in that it only works when I am taking it but as soon as I am off of it within two days bv ammonia smell starts coming back. I have to do a lot of trial in error with maybe some other products.

+Quote Post
iwillsurvive
post Jun 25 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #78

QUOTE(neverending @ Jun 20 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Girl, YES, ten plus years. It started out with a rotten stench, then became fishy, then musty, now its Sourdough/ trash. Gosh, gotta get a check up soon but yeah, i've been chronic and its returned and yes it may began to be chronic again.

I have been dealing with this imbalance for over 12 years! Just two years ago I researched the boric acid and it cleared up for about a year. I used y. arrest and it worked but when they changed the formula--it now does not work. I make my own boric acid suppositories & just last week I started using a liquid acidophilus filling suppositories up with it and using it along with my boric acid. After using the boric acid alone for 3 weeks(it cleared up after 3 days on the boric acid)but two days after I stopped it came back. So I restarted again this time including the acidophilus & garlic pills. I was inserting the acidophilus suppositories during the day & orally taking it with meals. Then at night the boric acid suppositories. Did this for another week. So a total of 4 weeks this time around. After a few days I smell the ammonia coming back and that alerts me that my bv is about to begin again. So I am starting back... AGAIN! The thing with chronic bv is that (well how I feel about it ) is that you will always have to monitor it and get on a maintenance program. Like dieting. As a matter of fact I know sugar can affect bv negatively but also vitamin deficiencies can make you susceptible to chronic bv. I am still researching methods & also checking into my own vitamin deficiencies .... Still after all these years. I do not want to smell unpleasant around the one I love or anyone even myself! I really hate hate dealing with this and worrying about it. The fishy smell used to be so so so bad. Like when I workout not even a bulky pad could mask the stink but I have to be thankful that at least I can control it before it gets that far but I cannot even be off the boric acid for too long(like two days) before the smell starts. Chronic ! I hate this with a passion! I am still experimenting. I cannot use any of the perioxide stuff because it burns(didnt work anyways). I think they say if we are low in zinc we may be setting ourselves up for chronic bv but if you researching other vitamins they list others too. I have learned more about my condition in the past two months. Really it should be called an imbalance and you cannot treat with only antibiotics. Antibiotics kill off good bacteria(I dont know how much) but thats kinda defeating the purpose of the vagina in need of good bacteria. I also can state that my diet has been the best in years.... I do low carbs (under 30 mg per day) & no bread or pasta no wheat. I drink 140 + ounces of water per day and have been for the last 6 months. So I can rule out my diet being a contributor of this chronic bv. Just keep on tweeking your maintenance program or get on one and also keep researching other methods. I have never had my ph checked I may do that too just so I can know what it is. Just keep on keeping on. I wished that the y.a I used before never had changed their formula. It cleared up my bv for months. The boric acid I use know is what you get at the pharmacy but maybe it is just not strong enough for me like the y.a was. I hate that! I will keep trying so should you all. I will keep you informed of my progress and also the treatments I am using. If more details are needed I will provide them for anyone. If anyone has any questions that I can answer from my experience of this chronic bv I will be more than happy to answer them. By the way even though I am somewhat controlling my bv with the boric acid I still never got rid of the slight brown discharge. So that gives me a hint that this boric acid may be too weak for me because with the original formula of the y.a it cleared up the odor and discharge. Also, it left me dry! I missed that formula. I am thinking not all boric acid strengths are alike.

+Quote Post
kaylan80
post Jun 21 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #79

Yeah i have all that, the fishy smell mostly. the last time i went to the doc was probably the worst mine had gotten, high ph, lots of bacteria, she said i had almost no good bacteria. I took anti-bs but after my period it came back strong again, this is definitely chronic bv... sigh any ideas on ways to control the smell or discharge. I don't think antibiotics are going to work for me right now

+Quote Post
neverending
post Jun 20 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #80

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kaylan80 @ Jun 19 2012, 12:02 AM) *
omg ten years that is awful! I'm worried that my bv has become chronic, I've been dealing with it for almost a year, and have been treated several times and now had about 4 recurrences. How do you tell chronic BV from a regular infection??

Girl, YES, ten plus years. It started out with a rotten stench, then became fishy, then musty, now its Sourdough/ trash. Gosh, gotta get a check up soon but yeah, i've been chronic and its returned and yes it may began to be chronic again.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 25, 2014 - 12:23 AM