The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doodlebug's Poll: Which Dixie Chicks Song For The Vagina Monologues?
Which Dixie Chicks song for the Vagina Monologues?
Looking for the most appropriate song to perform at the event...
The Long Way Around [ 4 ] ** [30.77%]
Ready to Run [ 6 ] ** [46.15%]
Wide Open Spaces [ 3 ] ** [23.08%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
lananans
post Feb 14 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

The Long Way Around is probably one of my favourite songs of all time. LOVE the Dixie Chicks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Feb 4 2008, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

doodle, I don't know anything about the dixie chicks, but this topic made me giggle...

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
tesao
post Feb 4 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #3

olha, que coisa mais linda.....

doodle, it was a tough choice betweem ready to run and the long way around....

you should SO videotape yourself playing, regardless which one you choose!!!

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Feb 3 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #4

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

D'oh! mouse, I totally should have thought of that! Thanks, polly, for posting the links!

A big thank you to everyone who has participated so far!

If it helps anyone with the voting, my friend hippiegirl (who is directing the production) has just agreed to play the djembe with me while I perform. Yay! So it will be a vocal, acoustic guitar, and djembe piece.

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Feb 3 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

QUOTE(mouse @ Feb 3 2008, 10:55 AM) *
hey doodle, i'm not really familiar with the dixie chicks' repertoire--and i think i'm probably not the only one. could you maybe post the lyrics? smile.gif

You're not the only one, mouse. I like what I've heard of the Dixie Chicks, but I don't know a lot of their songs. So I found videos & lyrics of the songs:

The Long Way Around
Video
Lyrics

Ready to Run
Video (they do some wacky things at the Country Music Awards! Seriously, I'd listen to it without watching it because the stage performance going on around them is really bizarre and distracting! Fricking Riverdance!)
Lyrics

Wide Open Spaces
Video
Lyrics

I dunno doodle, those would all be pretty good for The Vagina Monolgues. I think The Long Way Around is my favorite song, but the other two might be more appropriate. I'm gonna go with Ready to Run.

ETA: Either way, try to get someone to tape your performance- I wanna hear you beltin' it out!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Feb 3 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Pacifism kicks ass!

I think of those 3, "Wide Open Spaces" feels most appropriate for the Vagina Monologues, just because of the story of the song. "Ready to Run" is a close second, though!

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Feb 3 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooooh, that's such a tough choice! When you asked us in Okayland, I picked Ready to Run, as I love that song, but now, I have to go with Long Way Around - I think that's my favorite from their new album.

Be sure to tell us what you decide!

+Quote Post
mouse
post Feb 3 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Most Likely Procrastinating

hey doodle, i'm not really familiar with the dixie chicks' repertoire--and i think i'm probably not the only one. could you maybe post the lyrics? smile.gif

--------------------
jam out with your clam out

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Feb 2 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #9

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

Hiya all - pardon me for creating a post without asking, but it's a poll, so when the important date has passed, the thread should drop out of sight and disappear (I assume).

The local community (V-Day) production of the Vagina Monologues is coming up on February 14. I've been asked to perform a song (I sing and play acoustic guitar). I've decided I want to do a Dixie Chicks song. So I want to know....

Which Dixie Chicks song do you think is most appropriate/entertaining/fun for the Vagina Monologues?

The Long Way Around
Ready to Run
Wide Open Spaces

Not open to learning new ones at this late date. I do know quite a few others, but some aren't quite as appropriate, and I'm not confident enough in the other potentials to play them for an audience yet - and, sadly, I don't know how to make Goodbye Earl work as an acoustic piece. wink.gif

Thanks!!

(ETA: see pollystyrene's post above if you need to hear the songs/read the lyrics.)

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 23, 2014 - 02:15 PM