The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again, step back into the future and talk about what was
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 16 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(bustygirl @ Sep 15 2008, 09:01 AM) *
I heard that the original script for PIP had her going with Duckie, and Molly Ringwald made them change it. I've always hated Andrew McCarthy and could never understand why he was considered a heartthrob. He looks like a creepy child molester, and he has a wierd tiny mouth.

Ay, no!! It's the *eyes*, those sad, sad blue eyes. I absolutely love them. They bore through me every time I see him in anything. I mean, I love Duckie and I would have picked him over Blaine any day. But I love Andrew McCarthy's eyes.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Sep 15 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Bustygirl just reminded me of a couple things when she used the word "arty."

Remember in the late 80's when people were "artsy"? When they would wear all black and call themselves "artists"? It seems sort of funny now. I remember meeting this bartender, he would always wear black turtlenecks, pants, black head to toe. He told me once ~ unironically ~ he wore only black because he was an "artist." Didn't seem a bit cheesy at the time!

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Sep 15 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I heard that the original script for PIP had her going with Duckie, and Molly Ringwald made them change it. I've always hated Andrew McCarthy and could never understand why he was considered a heartthrob. He looks like a creepy child molester, and he has a wierd tiny mouth.

I love the smell of clove cigarettes, but they burn a hole in your lungs. If I didn't have high blood pressure, I'd smoke 'em without inhaling. They're so over-the-top arty, I love it.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Sep 12 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

There really IS an eighties revival going on. I just saw the black and pink with lace fashion combo being rocked by a ten year old.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 11 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

Bonne Bell lipgloss. The Muppet Show. Xanadu.

ONJ = love. When is Goldfrapp gonna get off their butts and cover that song? It was made for them.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 7 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #26

Big Fat Bitch

I wasn't dissing the Moyet, I just can't sing that low.

I still use the WetNWild bronzer. When I still wore lipstick, their lipliner 666 was the shit.

TUSSY. Such goofy commercials. I just like saying it, TUSSY.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 7 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #27

beachcomber

QUOTE(missladyj @ Sep 6 2008, 11:53 AM) *
my prom dress was a black flapper dress from a vintage store. fuckin awesome.

^5's misslady bc my dress was vintage too, tho not flapper. our prom was held at a hall in Gary, a stone's throw from you in chi town.
will have to gently nudge high school boyfriend to have his wife scan/send the picture to post.

and windsong perfume? (which I still love & wear) and BABE perfume.. do you know what that crap goes for nowadays? it's like blood an ounce!
lee press-on nails, bought cheap at wal green's the great ~mecca of all things cosmetic & not likely to be found at home~.

and I wore fitted high waisted jeans w/ 3 snaps at the tops, and crop top sweaters, and then this goofy jean jacket w/ tons of pins all over it, both vintage & just funny "support bingo, keep grandma off the streets" and short brown vintage wrist gloves everywhere, even in my sr pic, they were sort of my signature. a lot of girls had gone 'madonna Virgin Slutty by then, but not me.
I also wore boyfriend's vintage grey fedora a lot too, and I was short & petite w/ short hair so I probably looked good & goofy most of the time but amazingly- I still had friends!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 6 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

The drugstores in my neck of the woods didn't sell Wet'n'Wild makeup in the '80s, but I do remember them selling Aziza eyeshadow and liner, which was the only kind of shadow & liner I wore (I got into eye makeup in a big way and piled in on in the '80s). Nowadays, I can only find Aziza at the 99 Cent store, cheaply made and packaged. Back in the '80s, I thought it was the best thing evar.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Sep 6 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

used to buy wet n wild ? I still by wet and wild lipsticks to this day! cheapest and most obnoxious colors of lipstick ever!!

my prom dress was a black flapper dress from a vintage store. fuckin awesome.

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Sep 5 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 5 2008, 01:32 PM) *
oh god, yes. the gelatin made it kinda moldable, but when it set it was stiff... the aqua net made it HARD. and yes, the second day was better. I just added more aqua net!!! ewww...

Darn rightie, on the "WIND is AFRAID to come 'round these bangs...the BREEZE runs cowering back into nature once it gets a whiff of the AquaNet glued to this forehead!" (This AFTER using the (*then NEW to the world!") foamy mousse which I spread through it while it was still wet!

*wows*. I miss the days when I could wake up the next day looking exactly like I did the night before though, hair and makeup DID. laugh.gif

Now fess up! Who else was wearing Wet-N-Wild from Revco? Artmatic? TUSSY? anyone?

+Quote Post
zoya
post Sep 5 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #31

uh huh.

oh god, yes. the gelatin made it kinda moldable, but when it set it was stiff... the aqua net made it HARD. and yes, the second day was better. I just added more aqua net!!! ewww...

I'm with you, Sybarite, I just saw Yaz a few months ago when they were on tour, and Allison Moyet still sounds absolutely incredible.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Sep 5 2008, 06:17 AM
Post #32

it's cards on the table time

Sorry, that was meant to be 'men's shirts'. I was not buying used men's boxers, thankyouverymuch.

Zoya--was your hair absolutely stiff and inflexible to the touch? Mine was a frozen moussed backcombed nightmare. The second day was always better because the product built up more...ew.

IMO Alison Moyet's voice withstands the decades.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 5 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #33

Big Fat Bitch

"His name is Blaine? Blaine?! That's a major appliance, that's not a name!"

Oh, fuck all ya'll. I've now had to bust out with Yaz's "Upstairs At Eric's". I've done "Situation" at karaoke, but I do it more Beth Ditto than Alison Moyet. My voice just doesn't get that deep.

I was the first girl in school to rock the jelly bracelets. I was a goddess of cool for two weeks in fifth grade. Well, no I was always cooler than everybody: My mom took me to LA to go school shopping twice a year since we flew/stayed for free. I was at least a good two years ahead of everybody else in this hick burg.

OMG! Degrassi! It came on Sunday mornings at 11.30am on PBS. My *mom* & I were addicted. Even as late sleepers, we always got up for Degrassi!

I had a friend that smoked cloves because she didn't think they had tobacco in them. Duh. I liked the way they tasted, but hated the smell. The taste, though.

My first prom I announced the couples & then went to see "Silence of the Lambs". Second I went with a girl & we got announced which caused an uproar. Third I only went to because my mom *made* me. She bought the dress, the shoes, made the hair/makeup appointment because she thought I'd "regret" not going. Um, no. I looked ridiculous & nobody recognized me. I was home by 11pm, drinking beer, & watching movies. I went with one of the high school janitors.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
i_am_jan
post Sep 5 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 4 2008, 11:41 AM) *
I'm not sure exactly what point I was making, just more of an observation about how they were influential and not just in a kitschy kind of way.

Great observation. Makes me hopeful.

No cloves for me, only because I couldn't get hold of any, but I do remember peeps talking about smoking cloves as though it were *the shite*.

On the prom tip, I would be totally cool posting my pics. I was the first girl at my high school that I know of to wear a black prom dress tongue.gif At the time, it was unheard of and I HAD TO BREAK MY MOM'S ARM OFF twisting it in order to get her to buy me it, she hated it, hated it, never DID get used to the idea. (Sorry, moms.) I'm sure it's pretty normal, now.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 5 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(zoya @ Sep 4 2008, 04:41 AM) *
.. and did anyone who was of a certain age in the 80's smoke cloves? oof.

I did once, and it was awful. I was trying to get in with the 'cool' goth-alterna kids who hung out on the far side of campus at lunch and smoked (mostly cigs, but sometimes cloves). I'd gone to elementary school with a girl in that clique, so I thought I could use our previous semi-friendship to my advantage in high school...but it didn't really work that way. Before I was really aware of how I didn't fit in with the kids who were trying not to fit in, I thought I'd brave a couple of puffs on a clove cigarette, but I just ended up looking even more uncool because I had no idea how to smoke. ...Ach. I hated high school. I really need to stop re-living these memories.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
zoya
post Sep 4 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #36

uh huh.

sybarite - oh god, my prom pics are ghastly. I'm with you.

I'm also with you on the hair thing. I used to spike mine with gelatin. Yes, gelatin mixed with water. then ultra super hold aqua net over that. oh god, but it must have smelled.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Sep 4 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #37

it's cards on the table time

You don't want to see my prom pix, trust me. White strapless dress with a tan, pastel pink lippie and electric blue eyeliner. Run for the hills!

For a while I teased my hair a la bananarama and slouched to school in some arty dungarees and lots of eyeliner. Then I got into buying men's PJ pants, huge, ratty mohair sweaters and yes, men's white shorts pinned with a brooch. I don't think I actually brushed my hair for about 6 months.

I wussed out and went traditional for prom though, which in retrospect was a shame...

+Quote Post
zoya
post Sep 4 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #38

uh huh.

it's funny - because so many of the things that were cool & mainstream in the 80's are kitschy cool now, and yet so much of what was way far underground and not in any way mainstream cool in the 80's has become kinda mainstream. For example, by the time I was a Sr in HS, I was totally over the whole neon-rubber bracelet-ankle-socks-with-your-stiletto-pumps-wear-a-brooch-at-the-throat-of-your-buttoned-up-big-shirt-ala-Robert-Smith-high-teased-bangs thing and I got way into Black Flag, Doc Martens, deconstructing my t-shirts, thrifting, etc. and I was kinda of an outcast because of it (ie: everyone thought I was total weirdo) Now all that stuff is totally mainstream. Not to say I was ahead of the curve, because there were plenty of people into what I was into, it was just another more underground sub-segment of the 80s.

I'm not sure exactly what point I was making, just more of an observation about how they were influential and not just in a kitschy kind of way.

That said, I still fucking loved all the teen movies then and I still do... biggrin.gif

I also loved Culture Club and Yaz. and still do.

.. and did anyone who was of a certain age in the 80's smoke cloves? oof.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Sep 4 2008, 01:19 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

I miss the eighties so much it hurts.
It's all Lady Di, The Challenger explosion, Nuclear apocalypse, Back To The Future, E.T. and the The Smurfs to me.
Adoring my older cousin (and all teenagers), The Cocteau Twins and Post Punk, Kate Bush and hair bands.
I downloaded Ms Pacman to my nano and pretend it's 1985 while I'm on the transit.

Remember how every blockbuster movie had a Saturday morning cartoon spin off? Does anyone else remember Teen Wolf?

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Sep 3 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi! I was born in the 80s, but I love the teen 80s movies anyway (Breakfast Club = awesome). I heard that in the original script for Pretty in Pink, she ended up with Duckie, but it didn't fly with the marketing test group.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 24, 2014 - 02:27 PM