The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 76 77 78 79 80 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
polly_esther
post Nov 13 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #1541

BUSTie

Yesterday Mr. Esther and I went downtown to do a little early Christmas shopping and general hanging out with each other.

I know that I, and other natives, have mentioned the treasure trove of fug that is Ann Arbor. Whoa momma is it ever!

I saw man Uggs. A man wearing Uggs! With his pants tucked INto the Uggs. Uggs have the ability to make the wearers feet look ginormous, and on a man?!

I saw chunky heeled pirate boots aplenty.

I saw more than a few girls wearing ugly 80s inspired print sweatshirts (is that the new “thing” now? I’ve seen a lot of those eyesores at my local H&M recently). These are sweatshirts in light base colors with random stripes or frogs or whatever printed all over them, more formfitting than a typical sweatshirt. I recall having one circa 1985, however, it was 1985 and I was 9 so it was ok.

And finally, the Grande Dame of Fug Arbor… She was 50 if she was a day. Her hair was bleached to the point that MY scalp stung just seeing it. She was wearing black thigh high stiletto boots, black tights, a navy blue Eddie Bauer middle-aged man windbreaker, and no pants that I could make out. Or skirt, or, heavens forbid, “formal shorts”. She was wearing panties, and tights. Crazy lady, tights are not pants! mad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 13 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #1542

chacha, where are you? now i want to do a scavenger hunt. you know, if you used to live somewhere and know the city very well but have moved away, you get to send someone who has moved there not too long ago on a foraging expedition to places that you used to go. hidden gems. i could do such a good one! dang, now i miss toronto.

oh, and that lady you met in the store? that sounded just like my mom. her favourite clothing these days is mickey mouse anything. sad. and weird too 'cause she's an old hippie and never liked disney. what is it about that mouse?

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 13 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #1543

Hardcore BUSTie

I know, but you have to scavenge and hunt and unearth and push crap out of the way and someone's always spilled some bodywash on exactly the pair of shoes you want or crumbled swiss chocolate into the cream coloured cashmere sweater you found in your size or soaked some avocado oil from a broken tin the staff ignored into the book you wanted to buy or someone else has put your desired piece of clothing on a rack somewhere where children's or men's clothing is usually meant to be kept and no one ever tidies the racks or removes the shoes with broken heels that the staff is happy to let languish in a dusty, dirty pile, god help them.

I went into a Winner's once just after the beginning of the New Year to find the store tidy, neat, organized, all sizes in the right order, all shoes paired together and in their appropriate storage spots, all petite clothing under the petite sign and so on...so that inventory could be done. And a staff woman actually apologized to me for the "state" of the store. I actually laughed out loud, and said I'd never seen the store so well laid out before, I was thrilled cause I could actually find what I wanted to buy easily, and the stuff wasn't damaged because it was just left in heaps. And I'd never actually seen staff around--staff other than the cashiers, anyway, walking around the racks on the salesfloor!

My aunt used to run a clothing store for almost 40 years in downtown Toronto, and she imported and sold scads of stuff for men, women and children in what was essentially a very sizeable store. When ever my cousin and I would take her into a Winner's, that was about the only time she ever used the word "Fuck!" (actually, more like "fack", in her italian-english) that I can remember. The place is frustrating.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
nickclick
post Nov 13 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #1544

Hardcore BUSTie

chacha, that's exactly why i love TJ Maxxx and the like, because sometimes there's a great pair of gloves, purse, or sweater, and almost nobody that usually shops there is cool enough to pick it up. more for me!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 13 2006, 07:29 AM
Post #1545

Hardcore BUSTie

Not all of the Holiday sweaters are an art project--but those "Gem" sweaters were, in fact, an art project--a type of or a part of some kind of performance art put together by Leslie Hall. She actually still tours.

But, sadly, people do dress like that, I'd even say with the gold spandex pants (circa 1978) and all.

Yesterday, I went out shopping with my husband while suffering a burgeoning migraine. We ended up at a store like TJ Maxx (they're called Winners here in Canada, but they're part of the whole TJ Maxx chain). I can't stand those places, but M. ChaCha loves them. Let me just say that the weather here yesterday was your typical November grey, with a humid chill in the air (the kind that seeps into your bones and drills in a sub-radar chill). So: I see a pair of longish leather gloves, with snaps, in a deep tobacco leaf colour, and bonus, the gloves are on sale. I pull one on and start snapping the closures down when M. ChaCha decides the gloves are too much work and critiques my choice. They're on sale though, a really decent price and the leather's beautiful, they fit, and they already work with my coat. My husband goes to the next aisle over, and a woman looks at me and says, "You should get those, they are beautiful and they look great on you!!" She's very friendly and bubbly, but M. Cha Cha is rolling his eyes and making "WTF?" Faces (mainly because his opinion on stuff I like is always overheard by some passerby who always waits till they think he's out of earshot to tell me I should get whatever item in question cause it suits me, despite what my husband might say. M. Cha Cha calls these people my "inevitable allies", and claims they always pop up whenever I ask his opinion, which always happens to be a little negative on things I like).

We start talking, and the woman is actually fun and she's trying on gloves and finds a great pair in a peony suede colour that are on sale for $14. I encourage her to get them cause they're nice, and I think (without actually looking at the whole view) that they go with what she's got on, so she models that for me. For the first time, I actually take it all in. She's wearing:

A (what looks like Care Bears) print ski turtle neck
A faux sheared beaver fur, faux "sac" shaped car coat
what you all would call "mom" jeans
white gym socks that only go up to the ankle and feature a little turquoise pompom at the back
and
baby blue crocks, complete with what M. ChaCha described as "decoupage" on them (actually, what he said was "what do you call that stuff where you cut up your furniture to make scrapbooks?"). They're covered in decals like puffy ladybugs.
And now, she's holding up the peony coloured gloves against her coat and smiling.

She decided to get the gloves, and I decided to put the ones I tried on back. How could I question M.ChaCha's judgement after that?

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Nov 12 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #1546

Hardcore BUSTie

*Bows and kneels to BUSTYGIRL while handing over her purse-sized bottle of CLOROX!*

blink.gif <---Busty, did you make that face when you saw your bleach lady? I know I did, when I saw mine! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 12 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #1547

eh, kids can wear things that adults could never get away with and still look cuter than anything. think wee little knickers and tams. it would take a lot to make a baby a CoF i think. though those weird head-band bow-tie things some parents put on their bald girl children really make me wonder. just what is that? ugh.

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Nov 12 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #1548

Hardcore BUSTie

My mom made holiday sweatshirts last year, for all the kids, my gramma, my sister-in-law, and herself. She knows better than to make me one, although a black sweatshirt with a rhinestone anchor on it would be pretty fab.

Oh yeah, little Eddie has one, and yeah, he wil be wearing it for Xmas. I actually think it's kind of cute. *dodges hurled items from other fashion police*

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Nov 11 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #1549

Hardcore BUSTie

aren't the holiday sweaters an art project?

+Quote Post
lorewolf
post Nov 11 2006, 09:17 AM
Post #1550

Hardcore BUSTie

Haaa! Also on that Holiday Sweater link, there's a Journey music video that... Well, the song is cheezy enough without actually watching the band members air guitar, and it features the most 80's woman ever!

But I love Journey's music on car rides!

& LOL @ "frightening Fergie mask of botoxed horror"

+Quote Post
bustygirl
post Nov 11 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #1551

Hardcore BUSTie

Badly Aging Barbie

Bleach, frizzed, gelled, sprayed, exhausted hair, up in crispy ponytail, stabbed with single chopstick.

Lime green cotton cropped sweater with some unfortunate cabling on front. Random shirt beneath.

Knit capris, contrast stitching laid in random patterns--circles around knees, seams running akimbo around back of legs. Exceptionally strange garment, but it doesn't end there.

GIANT platform Ugg-like boots, the colour of rancid peanut butter. Think suede moon boots and you're just about right. Covering the legs of these, (but not touching the inch wide margin between the idiot boots and the inexplicable pants) were purple/orange/lime green legwarmers.

This woman was forty if she was a day. Her face, I might add, was frozen into a frightening Fergie mask of botoxed horror.

whyohwhyohwhyohwhyohwhy? My eyes have done nothing worthy of such crimes against sight.

+Quote Post
pherber
post Nov 11 2006, 03:24 AM
Post #1552

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Nov 8 2006, 11:14 PM) *

I just read something from the Manolo's archives, all about The Holiday Sweater wear.

laugh.gif Thanks for posting that link!
...there's a link in the link, which I'm going to post again, in case someone missed it.

Look!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sorry Chacha, but it's just so funny!!!!

+Quote Post
doodlebug
post Nov 8 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #1553

I know it's only rock 'n' roll. But I like it.

(Is Freaky Freely a Poltergeist reference?)

--------------------
Check out my band's new demo online! You can DL my original....and please fan up if ya like it!

+Quote Post
herculesgirl
post Nov 8 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #1554

Hardcore BUSTie

Quietmadness, I'm picturing Amy Sedaris as Jerri Blank for your wig lady...sounds EXACTLY like Jerri!

+Quote Post
lorewolf
post Nov 8 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #1555

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, I suppose she fits into the Freak Freely category, which I'm very supportive of. I was one who backed up that Peter Pan guy.

It's the ones who dress horribly out of attempt to follow a bad trend and the ones who dress very disrespectfully in situations that demand a degree of dignity that need to be tazered and re-dressed (and I think how tazer-happy I feel at the time is an important factor).

Eep! And I must report myself in for wearing carpentry (construction) clothes out shopping for groceries after work. I must worry the people at my grocery store. Really, it's not the same clothes every single day. They're different shirts, pants, and sweatshirts that are similarly dirty and worn out because I wear out all of them in the same way by wearing them to work. That, and I DID wash them, honest! You just... can' tell by looking at them. sad.gif

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 8 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #1556

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I think that I'm glad your wig lady was feelin' proud, quietmadness. If you can't wear your foolishness with intestinal fortitude and character strength, you simply have nothing left.

I just read something from the Manolo's archives, all about The Holiday Sweater wear.

I can't write about anyone's fashion faux pas, cause I'm a walking fashion disaster most days. But I sure do miss Speedy, and wish he'd come by to rant about fall clothing and the New Man, or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Nov 8 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #1557

Hardcore BUSTie

LOREWOLF: You could seriously see where this thing started. It wasn't down far on her neck, just started there at the "neckline."

And, after being partially blinded by the whitish looking hose, I was just amazed by this yellow-looking wig-hair!

It was almost like she'd taken a regular old wig, and combed the hair up into a high-top ponytail!! It was just up there like some kind of helmet... sad.gif

I don't know what to think... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
lorewolf
post Nov 8 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #1558

Hardcore BUSTie

A wig... that started on her neck? Is this to simulate the trail of little hairs fading down the back of people's necks? Did she have any hair of her own? I think I'd need a photo of that. I think it passed the tackiness threshhold of my imagination.

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Nov 7 2006, 06:51 PM
Post #1559

Hardcore BUSTie

I was in a shop the other day, just looking. Got a great cotton sweater hoodie, with some lil' bits of ramie blended in there. It'll look ok with a white T under it, just peeking out.

ANYWAY---There she was. She was checking out soooo proudly, too. She had on those thick-looking-combat-style-low-tops, BROWN.

WHITE nurses' style hose/tights
BROWN jumper dress
YELLOW turtle neck under the dress
GOLD metal loop belt around her midriff
BIG GOLD HOOP earrings

And.....her hair was a PONY TAIL WIG. A full wig, not a hair piece, either. It started at the neckline, and went aaalllll the way up to the top of her head, and was gathered there. The "wig hair" fell all the way down to her shoulders. PLATINUM YELLOW like you'd see on the "Swiss Miss" packet of hot cocoa mix.

My eyes were like, ohmy.gif .

I just couldn't stop gawking. It was the way the damned wig kept moving on her neck. You could totally see where it was woven together. blink.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

Bleach is on sale this week, I think...

+Quote Post
wombat
post Nov 6 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #1560

Dragon Velocity

I must confess I was accidentally a snob to a woman I liked.

I worked with her, she was a cool person but she lived way out in a small town and had three kids and had gotten kind of out of touch with stuff. So she suggested we go to dinner and out shopping, and it was great, but as we walked though the mall, she said, "Let's go in here!! I still have to get my Christmas sweater!!"

I said "What's a Christmas sweater?"

ohmy.gif I had honestly never heard of them.

Like, my mom would put on a christmas tree pin. But not, a whole piece of Christmas tree clothing.

--------------------
Lion-hearted

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 76 77 78 79 80 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 16, 2014 - 03:28 AM