271 Pages V  « < 46 47 48 49 50 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
wanabfresh
post Jan 19 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #941

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Jan 18 2009, 09:58 PM) *
I don't think anyone thinks/said that refrigerated probiotics are better.

However, I assume that if the packaging says that the products needs to be refrigerated, that means it's not freeze-dried for whatever reason, and so I'll just follow the directions and keep it in the fridge for maximum potency.

Which of course brings up another good thing about RepHresh Pro-B - apparently doesn't need to be refrigerated!

Good news is that this product is definitely being sold elsewhere besides CVS:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...mp;catid=132230

Bad news is that it's not any cheaper.

Yet another good news? It says you only need one a day, not two! This is a good thing, since it's over $1 per pill.

One drawback - "Do not use if pregnant or nursing unless directed to do so by your doctor."

Overall, I'm very excited about this product. I hope it works as well as Fem-Doph. It looks like they contain the same number of organisms, so if Fem-Doph works for you, this should, too.

im not sure how 2 post never reallly posted much but
To Lori and Sweaty
just wanted you alls opinion on this because i read yall blogs all the time an no that yall no what yall talking about so what do u think

Hey evry1 im not new here but i always read u guys post, an i to have been suffering from this for years and i just came across this website for bv home remdies and started taking to mind some of the suggestions the ladies posted.
Actually its the earth clinic site if intrested. So what there talking about is this vitamin called folic acid which helps the red blood cell formation. An ive done a lil research on it what it seems to do is carry out oxygen to different places in your body and i think this may be a good thing, because we need the aerobic bacteria n the vagina to produce oxygen which keeps the bad bacteria from taking over.An it really makes sense n a way. So what i did was read all the post on the site before I decided on what ill try an these ladies to have suffered for years an claim to have had good results with the probiotic and folic combo.
So i actually begin taking them day 2 but cant really tell cause of my period but i think this may be a cure so ladies check it out, an good luck on this ugly disease. An ill keep u guys posted

www.earthclinic.com/cures/bacterial_vaginosis
or what i did was just typed n bacteria vaginosis home remedies and then went to the earth clinic site cause that address isnt really showing all the remedies

Here is the process by which BV develops in "Doctor Language"

Gardnerella (bad bacteria) increases, anaerobes increase, as a result the Gardnerella produces amino acids, the anaerobes have an enzyme that cleaves into amines. The amines raise the pH in the vagina, that cause the squamous cells to slough and desquamate and produce discharge characteristic of the disease. Then you have a cycle of elevated pH which kills more lactobacilli which allows the anaerobes to increase even more.

Lactobacillus bacteria are classified as aerobic bacteria, or bacteria whose growth is favored by an oxygen-rich environment. Lactobacillus bacteria produce small quantities of lactic acid, which account for the moderate acidity of normal vaginal secretions. This mildly acidic environment is thought to play a significant role in immune defense as this acidity has the effect of inhibiting the growth of many other microorganisms, which might be introduced within the vagina. Lactobacillus bacteria are also responsible for producing small quantities of hydrogen peroxide that has an additional role in protecting the vagina from particular infections

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 18 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #942

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 17 2009, 08:10 PM) *
[b]It seems like a few people are really sold on the whole idea of refrigerated probiotics. With all of the research I've done on it, I've came up with nothing. There is no conclusive information that actually states refrigerated probiotics are better than the freeze dried variety.

I don't think anyone thinks/said that refrigerated probiotics are better.

However, I assume that if the packaging says that the products needs to be refrigerated, that means it's not freeze-dried for whatever reason, and so I'll just follow the directions and keep it in the fridge for maximum potency.

Which of course brings up another good thing about RepHresh Pro-B - apparently doesn't need to be refrigerated!

Good news is that this product is definitely being sold elsewhere besides CVS:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...mp;catid=132230

Bad news is that it's not any cheaper.

Yet another good news? It says you only need one a day, not two! This is a good thing, since it's over $1 per pill.

One drawback - "Do not use if pregnant or nursing unless directed to do so by your doctor."

Overall, I'm very excited about this product. I hope it works as well as Fem-Doph. It looks like they contain the same number of organisms, so if Fem-Doph works for you, this should, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 17 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #943

It seems like a few people are really sold on the whole idea of refrigerated probiotics. With all of the research I've done on it, I've came up with nothing. There is no conclusive information that actually states refrigerated probiotics are any different than the freeze dried variety. If anyone has any information on this I would definitely like to know. The one article I found to be somewhat helpful was this one (here) from the National Cancer Institute.

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 17 2009, 05:02 PM
Post #944

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(konphusion26 @ Jan 17 2009, 01:38 PM) *
according to THIS you only get a 30 ct for $29.99. Come out better buying 60 from Iherb and getting it cold - I think.... just IMO.

This actually sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing this, Sweaty.

I love that it's available at CVS. Let's hope this means that it's going to be available soon at Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc.

(Unfortunately, having it widely available doesn't mean it's going to be cheap. Bah.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Jan 17 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #945

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Jan 17 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Looks like the same strains as FemDoph alright. How many do you get for the $29.99? iHerb charges $23.77 for a bottle of 60 Fem Dophilus, delivered cold.
Thanks!
Maggie C.

according to THIS you only get a 30 ct for $29.99. Come out better buying 60 from Iherb and getting it cold - I think.... just IMO.

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Jan 17 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #946

BUSTie

QUOTE(Sweaty in Social Studies @ Jan 17 2009, 09:19 AM) *
I just read this article on the brand Rephresh creating a probiotic using the same live cultures as Fem-Dophilus (here). It seems Dr.Gregor Reid had some participation in creating this new product. I checked and it's actually available at CVS for $29.99. What do you think?

Looks like the same strains as FemDoph alright. How many do you get for the $29.99? iHerb charges $23.77 for a bottle of 60 Fem Dophilus, delivered cold.
Thanks!
Maggie C.

+Quote Post
Sweaty in Social Studies
post Jan 17 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #947

I just read this article on the brand Rephresh creating a probiotic using the same live cultures as Fem-Dophilus (here). It seems Dr.Gregor Reid had some participation in creating this new product. I checked and it's actually available at CVS for $29.99. What do you think?

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 16 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #948

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 15 2009, 10:51 PM) *
Neptune, did you use it for the recommended 7 days initially?

No I didn't, but would have done if my bv had been really bad at the time. I just followed the instructions to maintain ph balance as opposed to treating bv.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 15 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #949

BUSTie

Neptune, did you use it for the recommended 7 days initially?

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 15 2009, 05:33 PM
Post #950

BUSTie

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Jan 15 2009, 05:40 PM) *
what website do you go to to order balance activ? i tried to search it but it says only available in uk. please help!?! sad.gif

sooo sad

I googled lactic acid vaginal gel and there's another product called Gynofit Gel. Have you heard of it? Can't work out whether it's available in the US or not.

I was all pleased this morning, thinking I had this problem under control, but tonight my discharge has started to sting and get smelly. I used a tube just 2 or 3 nights ago and need another already. Hope it's not going to stop working for me. Maybe I need a course of treatment for a few days, then go back to using it twice a week.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 15 2009, 02:54 PM
Post #951

BUSTie

QUOTE(sooo sad @ Jan 15 2009, 05:40 PM) *
what website do you go to to order balance activ? i tried to search it but it says only available in uk. please help!?! sad.gif

sooo sad

Have you tried ebay? I'm in the UK and decided to buy mine from a pharmacy here, but I know it's on ebay UK.

Otherwise you could email the manufacturers - they might know if anyone's planning to distribute it in the US? On my box it says its manufactured in Sweden by Kullgren Pharma in Gnesta, if that helps.

I know how frustrating it is when you can't get a product in the country you're in. FemD isn't available here but I found I could order it on ebay from the US.

Good luck.

Neptune:

I'll be taking my first dose of BA tonight and will report back in the next couple of days...

+Quote Post
sooo sad
post Jan 15 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #952

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Jan 15 2009, 05:07 AM) *
Thanks for posting the links to the vids.

Can't wait to see how you get on with it! Like I said, my concern is that it's only working for me because my BV is at such a low level at the moment that it doesn't always show up on tests (although I have a very heavy discharge and slight odour which it takes care of temporarily) so I'll be really interested to hear of other people's experiences.

I still take my folic acid probiotics orally though. I'm too scared to stop taking them.

sooo sad

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 15 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #953

BUSTie

QUOTE(Grace08 @ Jan 14 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Hey all

Just did a bit of research into Balance Activ and I'm really encouraged to see it's endorsed by two repsected TV health doctors here in the UK:

BA on youtube
BA on youtube again

Seems like (if it works) it'll be cheaper and faster than taking FemD which I thought was my only hope until now. I'm going to order the BA now, will let you know how it goes when I've used it.

All in all it's just a really good sign that BV is being talked about openly in those vids, and that this is a new product so it means someone somewhere is researching our little condition...
Hope you're all lovely
Grace x

Thanks for posting the links to the vids.

Can't wait to see how you get on with it! Like I said, my concern is that it's only working for me because my BV is at such a low level at the moment that it doesn't always show up on tests (although I have a very heavy discharge and slight odour which it takes care of temporarily) so I'll be really interested to hear of other people's experiences.

I still take my folic acid probiotics orally though. I'm too scared to stop taking them.

+Quote Post
Grace08
post Jan 14 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #954

BUSTie

Hey all

Just did a bit of research into Balance Activ and I'm really encouraged to see it's endorsed by two repsected TV health doctors here in the UK:

BA on youtube
BA on youtube again

Seems like (if it works) it'll be cheaper and faster than taking FemD which I thought was my only hope until now. I'm going to order the BA now, will let you know how it goes when I've used it.

All in all it's just a really good sign that BV is being talked about openly in those vids, and that this is a new product so it means someone somewhere is researching our little condition...

Hope you're all lovely
Grace x

+Quote Post
neptune
post Jan 14 2009, 05:27 AM
Post #955

BUSTie

QUOTE(ladylustlove @ Jan 12 2009, 04:04 PM) *
right off the bat, in my pov, BA sounds way better. lactic acid is the first ingredient, which i read is good for the good bacteria down there. Represh contains all of those nasty parabens which aren't supposed to be good for you anyway. in addtion, it contains glycerin, which sometimes causes yeast infections in women. glycerin is also found in many lubes, be careful ladies. i don't know if the glycogen and glycol in the BA does the same thing.

Thanks.

I'm having success with BA at the moment. I use it once or twice a week and the onion smell disappears COMPLETELY for a few days, sometimes up to about 5 days. (I was even confident enough to let my ex go down on me.) It also reduces my discharge to a normal amount, which is amazing, so I can walk around the supermarket without liquid seeping out of my underwear huh.gif

Don't know whether it would've helped me when my bv was really bad though, cause recently it's been more of a ph imbalance I think, rather than full blown bv. Perhaps that's why it helps me? It almost seems too good to be true at the moment, so I'm suspicious.

+Quote Post
ladylustlove
post Jan 12 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #956

BUSTie

QUOTE(neptune @ Jan 7 2009, 06:02 AM) *
biggrin.gif
I had a look online and it seems that Rephresh contains Purified Water USP, Glycerin, Polycarbophil, Carbopol 974P, Ethylparaben Sodium, Methylparaben Sodium, Propylparaben Sodium, Sodium Hydroxide.
Balance Active contains Lactic acid, glycogen, propylene glycol, methylhydroxypropyl cellulose, sodium lactate, water, pH3.8

The ingredients may be different, but I suspect the results are the same.

Anyone out there tried both?

right off the bat, in my pov, BA sounds way better. lactic acid is the first ingredient, which i read is good for the good bacteria down there. Represh contains all of those nasty parabens which aren't supposed to be good for you anyway. in addtion, it contains glycerin, which sometimes causes yeast infections in women. glycerin is also found in many lubes, be careful ladies. i don't know if the glycogen and glycol in the BA does the same thing.

and italian wife, that is such a good question. i myself have wondered the same thing.

As for a personal update, all was good until a week or so ago, when the bf said it started
smelling a little wayward down there. And then i noticed i did indeed have an
increase in white discharge. after a couple of days the discharge went away however, and
my bf said i smelled normal again.

so, wtf.

i thought up of a few reasons why this relapse may have happened:

I started doing one probiotic a day instead of 2. since the incident, i have upped my doasge back to normal.

My bf ate me out for like an hour. I doubt this may be the sole reason, but maybe a contributor??

I drank heavily for a couple of nights. first it was nye, then i had a party to go to. on top of that, my diet
was not so great. i wasn't following the alkaline diet for those few days and then BAM the bv hit.

after a few days of normal probiotic use and alkaline diet....it seems ok again. but it still freaked me out.

+Quote Post
tosha
post Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #957

QUOTE(lori @ Jan 8 2009, 11:21 PM) *
Hi Tosha,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I'm glad you found it helpful.

"Sweaty" and Lori (me) are different people. It's not clear who you're speaking to. FYI. smile.gif

Sorry about that! It was you. Both you and she have blog siggies and I got confused. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Italianwife88
post Jan 9 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #958

BUSTie

Sorry I haven't written in a while guys. I've been trying to reevaluate whats going on with me down there, and it struck me that ive never had this strong fishy odor smell that alot of you talk about. I've been diagnosed with BV but not a certain strain or anything. ive also tried flagyl and metro gel for it. ive tried fem d, i've tried taking probiotics and changing my diet and it just seems to never leave. When i read what joan had written about it being hormonal that really made sense to me because it really only happens when my hormones change to start my period. like currently i have a chunky white discharge, no smell, no itching. If it wasnt for the discharge, id be golden. could Birth control change the hormones that might trigger this?

+Quote Post
lori
post Jan 9 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #959

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(tosha @ Jan 8 2009, 10:29 AM) *
Sweaty-love your blog, left you some comments.

Hi Tosha,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I'm glad you found it helpful.

"Sweaty" and Lori (me) are different people. It's not clear who you're speaking to. FYI. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tosha
post Jan 8 2009, 01:29 PM
Post #960

Hello Ladies,
I am new here. After 4 years I decided to start trying to do more research on BV. I have read and read and read until I can read no more!
Glad to have found you.
My BV went undiagnosed for 4 years....had so many drs tell me this was just something I would have to deal with, one even told me "this is part of your beauty."
Ladies, if this was happening to a man, I betchya they would be a lot more concerned about it!!
ok, off my soapbox.
well I finally got diagnosed last august and did the metro pills. wow I felt like a real woman again, for about 3 weeks. then guess who? yep, back again. not so bad though, thought I could deal...up until about 3 weeks ago, when i went on the 1000 calorie diet. (stupid i know-you don't have to tell me) obviously i was not getting the vitamins i needed because the BV got HORRIBLE.
Ladies, I have kept this secret from my husband all these years...and finally told him 3 days ago. poor guy-i should have done that a long time ago. i guess I am one of the lucky ones because the only symptom i have is discharge, and the smell after sex. no everyday fishy odor. since my husband was a virgin when we met (2 weeks after i first realized something was amiss down there), he never questioned the smell after sex. well he has been so understanding about this situation and that is great.
I started my second round of metro pills 2 days ago, i am also taking 2 fem-D a day along wih the metro. i really hope this helps. i am thinking about also getting the rephresh to use after sex.

Sweaty-love your blog, left you some comments.

Ladies, my heart goes out to you..it makes me so sad what some of you are having to deal with with the odor. the comments people have made to you, it is not right, I am so sorry. My cousin had the odor for about a year with her bv, and she said she was absolutely miserable and cried daily. couldn't get help from drs either. she said she finally found something that helped her. i will find out what it was and post it.

Nice to "meet" you all. I'm Tosha, 26, married to my soul mate, and have a 7 year old boy who loves thumb wrestling and legos, and a 15 month old girl who is a spoiled little queen. currently studying for my masters degree and staying home wih the kids. live in mobile, al.....would love to move back out west to arizona one day!
So glad to know I am not alone in BV hell and that this is not "just part of my beauty" lmao

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 1, 2014 - 12:17 PM