Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Resolution...
epinephrine
post Feb 19 2011, 02:30 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Most of my resolutions I won't be able to fulfill until I go back to Canada, and being on vacation for the past month made it hard to get into a routine where I could depend on having a drinkable water source on hand first thing every morning, but we'll see how I do now that I'm back at school. I certainly did a lot of hiking on vacation, although it was all of the urban variety! I'm giving my poor feet a break for a few days and then I plan to do some hiking around here again. Chongqing is very mountainous - there are some gorgeous mountain hikes here.

The bilingual resolution, on the other hand, seems to be coming along quite well! I'm now at the point where I can maintain friendships with people who don't speak a word of English, which is definitely a milestone. During my vacation, I went up to 3 or 4 days at a time without speaking any English at all. Phone calls are still difficult, but as long as I'm in a quiet place and the connection is clear and they don't have a heavy regional accent, I can manage. I made phone calls every day when I was in Beijing, and was surprised by how easy it was!

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
momo
post Feb 4 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #2

BUSTie

How're you folks doing on your resolutions?

I didn't post mine before, but it was to stop running so freaking late all the time that I have to take cabs instead of walking/biking/public transport. I am really proud of my progress! In the past 5 weeks I only took one cab, and that was on my birthday during a crazy snow/slush storm, and I wasn't even running late, I just couldn't bear to face the elements.

Confession: I am still late to meet my friends 40% of the time. But at least I'm saving $$ on cab fares.

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Jan 15 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

I am trying to not be such a judgemental bitch and be more compassionate. This is difficult because I sometimes really hate people.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Jan 12 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

Resolutions

1) To take care of myself, especially when under stress. Go for a walk, eat some vegetables, and get a decent night's sleep.

2) To make time for writing. Get up early even when work calms down, and use that extra time to write.

3) To avoid taking on any more commitments, and not feel guilty about de-prioritising the ones I have.

4) To prioritise things I really want to do over things I feel I should do.

I'll think about things again when the clocks have gone forward - it's all too dark and miserable now to get much done! No big goals for this year as I'll be changing jobs and moving house, which will keep me busy enough.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jan 1 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

That's how I feel too, Stargazer. I think most people set themselves up for failure with things like resolutions because they:
a) Decide they're going to change something (like exercising 4 days a week every week)
cool.gif they do it for a couple of weeks and feel pretty good
c) they fall off the wagon due to life circumstances, exhaustion, illness, whatever and feel like shit because they couldn't stick to their goal
d) they make another promise to themselves that they can't necessarily keep and the whole cycle starts all over.

I realized recently that whenever I have to call in sick and cancel my clients I make a promise to myself that I won't cancel on them again. I get anxiety whenever I take a sick day and I didn't even realize I was making these promises to myself. That's where my "living in the moment" 'resolution' comes from. The more I think about the past and the future and worrying about them, the harder I find it to function in the present.

I think I'll add to my list:
Be as kind to myself as I am to my friends and family.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jan 1 2011, 06:32 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

That's a good point, stargazer. Normally that's why I don't even bother with the whole New Year's resolutions/intentions bandwagon. But this year I just...felt like it, I guess.

And I've got one more to add to my list:
  • drink a half litre of water immediately upon getting out of bed every morning, and another half litre (when possible) before every meal, as well.
I just started drinking a bottle of water before I even have my morning cup of coffee and I just feel like my body runs more smoothly all day afterward. It helps cut the urge to overeat, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 29 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #7

brown delicious

Thanks missladyj for getting this thread started for us again. smile.gif

I've found that when I changed the language and wording from resolutions to intentions, that change felt more like an intrinsic value versus an unattainable goal I was trying to reach (and failed every year). The only thing constant in life is change so I'm trying to be more adaptable and flexible as I get older. I also find that life is easier from this POV. Yay me!

With that, my intentions for 2011 are the following: health (financial and physical health), faith (in myself that what I want for myself will come true), and trust (to let go).

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
ketto
post Dec 29 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

I don't really do the NY resolutions, but I hope to continue letting myself live in the moment instead of getting lost in my own head.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Dec 29 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Love everyone's resolutions so far! I got a new one to add since last night as you may have seen...

11) FORGET ABOUT EX BF- COMPLETELY.

Working on this one before the new year even starts. gonna go totally eternal sunshine on his ass!

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Dec 29 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

In the coming year I resolve to:
  • become functionally bilingual
  • get my driver's license
  • get my gun license so I can hunt for my own meat
  • kick some ass in my final year of uni
  • ride my bike from the burbs all the way to school and back at least a few times a month, if not every day
  • go for a hike at least once a month
  • volunteer for at least one cause I believe in
  • take dance classes
  • sew at least some of my own clothes
  • have a threesome

I can't help but think I'm setting the bar a little high here, but I guess that's not such a bad thing. Maybe we should all use this thread through the year to update and motivate each other on our progress. I hear you're way more likely to achieve your goals when you make them public and get feedback on them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Dec 29 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

My resolutions:

-continue getting top grades.
-workout at least 3 times a week.
-be less controlling. With my bf, we always listen to my music, watch what I want, etc. He is very passive and acts like he doesn't mind, but what kinda way is that to live?

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Dec 28 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

I have so many resolutions for this year. I gotta make a list, so here it is in no particular order:

1) Love MY body- and this includes my AA cups! I want to accept myself for how I am and learn to love it goddamnit!
2) Get in shape- this goes along with loving my body, I feel like if I get in better shape then it will be easier to do that.
3) Be a better gf- I always take things out on my bf and sometimes I feel like I'm being such a bitch. This year I'm going to be nicer, more considerate, I'm going to laugh more and not take my problems out on him. He just doesn't deserve it. I'm going to stop blaming him for things that aren't his fault and enjoy the time that we have together- even if that might not be much at this point in our lives.
4) Get some confidence- Ever since I started this school program, well I guess for my entire life actually, I have had zero confidence in myself. With graduation coming up this May and being faced with working this scary job on my own, I need to have some confidence in myself. This year I'm going to try to believe in myself, at least enough to get through my crippling anxiety. I want to feel like I can handle things on my own for once, instead of being so afraid that I can't do it.
5) Get on an airplane- yes, this might be pathetic, but I am 25 years old and I have never been on an airplane or gone anywhere interesting. It's not because I don't want to, I desperately want to, but with all my schooling and everything I have never been able to spare the money. This year I'm going to go on a trip, I'm going to go somewhere I've always wanted to go and enjoy myself for once instead of feeling like I always have to be so responsible. I feel like my life is passing me by and everyone else is traveling and doing all the things I want to be doing. Life is too short, I want to do something like that for me this time.
6) Move out! I hope by this time next year I am able to move out of my parents' house and have moved in with my bf, finally. My resolution is to have some privacy at last!
7) Stop worrying so much. This will help me get some sleep.
8) Enjoy life and appreciate it more. nuff said.
9) Face my fears- my worse nightmare may be coming true- my mom is undergoing testing to rule out a cancer diagnosis. This is something I have feared my entire life. If something is wrong with her, even though I will be absolutely terrified, I'm going to try to confront this fear and stay strong for her and my family however I can.
10) Stay positive- I tend to be so pessimistic all the time, I want to turn that around and start being an optimist- they live longer! I want to start seeing my glass as half full.

Think it's possible for me to start doing all these things? Maybe this is too ambitious for one year, but that's just sounding pessimistic already!

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 28 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

for 2011 I want to continue to kick ass in my doctoral program, be a better auntie and wife and get my ass back in the pool.

what are your resolutions for 2011?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 1 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #14

brown delicious

QUOTE(stargazer @ Dec 9 2009, 09:51 PM) *
5) Accept & Appreciate myself

This one is the toughest so far. Accepting and appreciating myself is really forcing me to be present to myself in a way that no yoga pose or meditation has provided me. In way, I'm letting go of any notion of future and/or past of myself. It is frightening as f#@k for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Dec 27 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #15

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck with your resolution LadyJ, and I hope things get better! And congrats on all your accomplishements this year ketto! Star, I think you must already be a great listener, but good luck with your resolutions too.

This is one of the first years in my life that I'm starting to think how important the new year's resolutions will be. I used to think, what's the point of making a resolution once and not thinking about it for the rest of the year. Now I'm starting to realize how important it is to have these milestones where we get a chance to stop and take stock of what we have and haven't accomplished, where we are going, and what we want to do about it. I know my resolutions this year will involve bringing spirituality and art back into my life, and better health, but I need to make specific goals that I can actually aim for. I am already going to be doing so many new things this year (whether I resolve to or not!) so I think my actual resolutions need to be things that will ground me and keep me together, mentally. I will post them soon, to give myself a boost to actually accomplish them!

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 26 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #16

brown delicious

missladyj, my bad! You did post about your accident on FB. I just didn't realize the extent of your injuries are still with you. If you haven't gone to a chiro, I know turbojenn can refer you to an excellent one. sad.gif

Ugh. All these reflections on the decade in the media, well, I've been reflecting on the past 5 years of my life. Of couse, only the highlights aka my failures. But, I guess in order to move on I need to work through these events/experiences of my life. Here's hoping I learned something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 20 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks star!

I may not have posted about the accident when it happened. I got rear ended twice in one week. I was out of commission for a while and things are not quite back to normal.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Dec 20 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #18

brown delicious

QUOTE(missladyj @ Dec 19 2009, 01:13 PM) *
For 2010 I want to focus on getting back into shape. Since I was in a car accident in June I haven't been able to work out like I want to. I am getting there.

Whoa. How did I miss this news?!? Sorry to hear about the car accident. sad.gif

Congrats ketto and missladyj on your accomplishments in 2009! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 19 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I posted at the beginning of 09 about wanting to get some consulting gigs as my resolution and it has FINALLY happened. I am so stoked about it. I am looking forward to new opportunities that will present themselves to me.

For 2010 I want to focus on getting back into shape. Since I was in a car accident in June I haven't been able to work out like I want to. I am getting there.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Dec 10 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Interesting to see where I was about a year ago, I went back and re-read my first post in this thread.

I went from just trying to say "I love you" to paperboy to now living together, quite happily.

I wanted to get healthier and lose some weight. I really got into gear around April and have lost between 15-20 pounds and since I no longer eat gluten, I feel MUCH healthier.

I wanted to buy a house, but instead realized it was too soon and moved out with paperboy. One of the best decisions I made this year. I'm much less stressed out, a lot more active, and a lot happier to be away from my folks.

I was considering going back to school for an MSW but now realize that's not the road I want to go down. I'm volunteering at a local agency to instead get some more counselling experience in addition to the job I already love.

At this particular moment, I don't feel like I have any resolutions to add. biggrin.gif (I know I'll have some later, I'm just extremely tired and don't want to think about it.) tongue.gif

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 25, 2014 - 08:38 AM