Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Girl With Bad Skin- All About Adult Acne
_octinoxate
post May 4 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #81

Hardcore BUSTie

hahaha, i've had many of those experiences too. i think the best was when i was on this fucking boat in the galapagos islands and the cook sees me and goes (in spanish): "i have just the thing for your face". me: "excuse me?" him: "what you need to do for your face is boil rice and cake it on there every night." wha--?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post May 4 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #82

My neighboor walked up to me one day outside and said, "I've noticed you have some acne on your face." I said, "Yeah, my mom and sister have it too so I guess it's just genetics." He said, "Have you tried Proactiv?" I said, "Yes, it's very harsh on my sensitive skin." He replied, "Do you keep up with it on a regular basis because it's the only thing that works for me." I was like, "Yeah, I did but it left red sploches on my face. I'm using Clinique now and it seems to work the best but stress makes it worse as well." He didn't really say anything more. Why do people you barely know think they can just talk about your acne like it's the shoes your wearing? WTF!

*rant over*

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post May 4 2007, 07:56 AM
Post #83

Hardcore BUSTie

Kind of a funny story about my wonderful acne: I work at a psychiatric treatment facility for kids. They can be pretty blunt, like most kids. One of the patients who's 7 years old looked at me one day and said "Ms. Dayglow, do you have acne?" I said, "yes, R., I guess I do." He said, "Why don't you try using some kind of acne cream?" I laughed and said, "I think I've tried pretty much everything out there. I think I'm stuck with it." He looked at me sort of seriously, nodded, and said "Okay." It was pretty hilarious.

+Quote Post
LoveMyPugs
post May 3 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #84

my face is f***ed up right now. I've been picking and scratching. Stress from school and my period is on its way. It's going to take weeks to clear up completely. Just in time for summer semester to start.

*sigh*

+Quote Post
fantaz
post Apr 19 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #85

BUSTie

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with acne, but I have been getting lots of broken capillaries, and they make me feel so gross! I first got some on the folds of my nose when I was about 15. now i have some on my legs as well. has anyone heard of any successful procedures to get rid of them? i know there are lasers out their, but it would be nice to know it they work, or the other alternatives out there.
has anyone successfully gotten rid of them?

+Quote Post
Marinegal
post Apr 12 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #86

BUSTie

Oh, the diet thing having nothing to do with the skin IS a crock of shit. I read an article about 2 years ago, I can't remember the name of the magazine, but it was all about diet and skin. Then I began to change my eating habits. I stopped eating a lot of processed and junk foods and weened myself off of sugary and dairy heavy foods and drinks. I started to notice a difference right away. I also stick to taking my daily vitamins and drinking lots of water. That is such a key to everything. By simply removing soda and sugary drinks and replacing it with water or tea, not only will your skin look better but you're entire body. You will also FEEL better.

Changing my diet didn't stop everything but it did help. I do microderm abrasion once a month and I use the Murad acne line. During my time of month it gets bad because my job can be very stressful, at times, but I have never felt so good.

Honestly, nothing beats a good diet and proper exercise. Yes, a lot of times you need something more than that. But when it comes down to it, if what you're taking in is healthy and what you're doing is healthy then it will show all over. Just something to think about.

You don't have to go cold turkey on your diet but if you lower your processed and junk food intake, switch to soy milk and water or tea (not the crap tea you buy in the store but the stuff you make yourself) and take a few yoga classes or start walking more I guarantee in one month anyone having problems will look and feel so much better. I do my microderm through a professional but I know they sell kits that work or just having a good face exfoliant is so key.

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Apr 1 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #87

Hardcore BUSTie

Fantaz, I understand not wanting to buy more expensive meds. The good news, though, is that you wouldn't actually have to take the antibiotic regularly for this-- just for 10 days or so til it clears up. Still, if it's not doable, you could try getting some benzoyl peroxide soap over the counter (3 or 4 bucks) or even antibacterial soap and just keep it nice and clean with that, and wear cotton undies and try to keep things as dry as possible. And don't scratch/pick at all, as that will spread the infection. You should be able to at least keep it from worsening, though I'm not sure you'll be able to cure it with these methods.

+Quote Post
fantaz
post Mar 31 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #88

BUSTie

Thank you oct. I'm just kind of scared to go see my dermetologist b/c i know that he will tell me to buy expensive stuff. i already take two medications, so it would be nice if i could get something over the counter. does anyone know of anything i could get for it?

candycane- I get cystic acne too, and I use Loreal Ideal Balance face wash for combination skin, and I use CVS brand knockoff of Oil of Olay sensitive skin lotion. For spot treatment, I use Clearasel Vanishing acne treament. My skin seems to go crazy when i am not using this stuff. Right now, I am on my period and normally my chin will get cysts, but not now! I really recommend you try it (esp. the facewash)! i used to want to try accutane, but I am glad i did not!

also, candycane, how is your diet? I know people say that that has nothing to do with your skin, but I think that's a croc! I tend to eat very horribly, but i find that when i eat good, my skin looks so much more healthier. also, eating lots of sugar seems to make me break out (i have a HUGE sweet tooth and NO willpower)!

i wish you sucess! I know how depressing it is to wake up with bumps all over your face!

ps:did you say you were taking anything that effects your hormones? i used to be on birth control (i was taking it in hopes that my skin would improve. however, for the first five months, i broke out worse than i ever have! it did get better though.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 30 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #89

Hardcore BUSTie

just out of curiosity, what's OCM?

+Quote Post
ourcrazycatlady
post Mar 25 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #90

octi, i just laid off of everything. i just OCM my face. i just made the decision to be gentle with my skincare. i think my skin was just as confused. but, it is doing quiet well now.

That's what I'm doing. I read great reviews about Cetaphil gentle cleanser on drugstore.com. So I'm trying that along with my favorite product ever: Clinique Turnaround Cream. I can't use any acne facewash because it irritates my skin so badly. A gentle soap, moisturizer, and some Turnaround cream are the only things that don't bother my skin.

Orthotrycline worked really well for me, but I was inbetween jobs/health insurance and the perscription ran out. I remember how quickly it cleared my face but also the bacne.

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Mar 25 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #91

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey fantaz, yep, I've had folliculitis. You just need to get a doc to write you a prescription for an oral or topical antibiotic. Also, try to keep the area as clean and dry as possible (eg, shower right after working out, etc).

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 24 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #92

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks star. I'm definitely trying to change what I eat. It's had a bad effect on my weight and I'm sure it can't possibly help with my skin. I don't know if I should be eating certain foods or what but I'm just trying for more fruits and vegetables.

fantaz, sorry, I've never heard of that.

+Quote Post
fantaz
post Mar 24 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #93

BUSTie

Hello everyone!

I think I may have figured out what the bumps on my body are. I was looking at a dermatology website and it's called Malassezia folliculitis. I'm pretty sure that that is what is on my skin. Do any of you know anything about it? I know that it is cased by a yeast and gets worse with humidity and sweating (i live in Florida!)

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Mar 23 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #94

brown delicious

candy, i hear you on your frustrations with your skin. i too feel the same way about putting on foundation on my face as my skin heals. i only wore concealer on zits here and there. i hate foundation. well, i've come to love it 'cause it helps me feel better about my appearance.

in all of my years of dermatology treatment, at least for me, i've learned that more changes need to be made to your body instead of just taking prescription meds and topical creams. dermatologists continues to say that food and diet have no impact on your skin, which is an outright lie. my father was on accutane twice. and because he did not make the emotional and behavioral changes needed....his skin is still a problem.

good luck candy.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Mar 23 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #95

Hardcore BUSTie

Candy, yeah, the Accutane thing is a tough call. I wish I felt like I could trust our country's system of regulating medications and other products, (and thus say "if it's sold to me, it must have been proven safe") but unfortunately I just don't feel like they're as cautious as I'd like. Good luck, either way.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 23 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #96

Hardcore BUSTie

octi, I've been on Yasmin, Orthotricyclen, Diane 35 and like I said, right now I'm on Alesse.

I'm still unsure about Accutane. I was tellng my friends about all the precautions and pregnancy tests you have to take because of how it can cause birth defects. Anyway, one of my friends said "well, if it clears up your skin forever then wouldn't the chance of having a baby with a birth defect always be there?"
That kind of scares me, especially since I don't know if there have been any long term studies on Accutane users.

On the subject of leaving your skin alone, unless you count taking BC pills, that's pretty much what I've been doing for almost a year. I went out to Lush and bought some of their soap and I kind of figured that since it wasn't full of chemicals it wasn't really like messing with my skin. I also bought some toner and moisturizer, I figured I would just follow a regular skincare routine. But I'm at my wit's end. Doing stuff to my face doesn't help, leaving it alone doesn't help. I went and bought some Benzac wash two days ago and I think it's helping a bit. But I hate that if I want to look like I have clear skin I have to put on tons of foundation and cover up.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Mar 22 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #97

brown delicious

i was on accutance when i was 20 for about 3 months. it cleared my skin up. but, about 7 years later, my acne started to resource. and about 1 1/2 ago became cystic.

there is alot of long term damage accutane can do to your liver and eye sensitivity to light. so, make sure you think about it. part of the reason why i'm still detoxing. my liver and kidneys had a lot of damage done to them from all of the years of antibiotics and accutane i was on.

octi, i just laid off of everything. i just OCM my face. i just made the decision to be gentle with my skincare. i think my skin was just as confused. but, it is doing quiet well now.

good luck candy!

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
_octinoxate
post Mar 22 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #98

Hardcore BUSTie

That really sucks candy. I know how frustrating it can get! If you decide to go with Accutane, good luck. Like I said, some people do love it and swear by it-- it might end up being great for you. (Especially if you don't have any preexisting health conditions, tendencies toward depression, etc. that could be aggravated.)

One other last-ditch effort could possibly be: do nothing. at all. I mean, I've always wondered if maybe my skin just gets fucking confused by me washing it, drying it out, putting harsh chemicals on it, etc. and is overcompensating. I wonder if doing absolutely nothing to it but rinsing it with water, or maybe real mild soap, could make it normalize. I'm not up for trying it now, but it might be one thing to consider (?)

BTW- the pills that cleared up my skin were orthotricyclin (really quickly and really well) and Yasmin (only after months of making it worse first).

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Mar 21 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #99

Hardcore BUSTie

octi, I'm taking Alesse right now. I've found that birth control only seems to reduce the oiliness of my skin but doesn't seem to have much affect on actual pimples. And I've been on a few different types of birth control over the years, none of them seem too effective.

I'm very aware of the adverse effects of Accutane. When my dermatologist first gave me a pamphlet about it I freaked out and didn't want anything to do with it. But it's been about a year and a half and nothing else has worked so today I got a referral to go back and see him. I'm pretty much looking at this as a last resort because all of the birth control pills, topical treatments, natural soaps and antibiotics just haven't worked.

To give you an idea of how bad it is, I just got about 12 new pimples over the course of only 3 days and they are deep painful pimples. I'm nowhere near having my period (I usually breakout monthly) and I'm just plain frustrated.

+Quote Post
fantaz
post Mar 21 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #100

BUSTie

oct_ thanks for the site!

also, accutane scares me a little because not only are there physical side effects, there are emotional ones too. there has been a link with the drug and people committeing suicide. also, it can cause a person to have problems with aggression. this one guy i know had taken it and he was so nice before taking it, but afterwards he seemed to be a lose cannon. I would talk to your doctor to get more information (they won't let you take it till you are fully aware of the side effects). then you can judge whether or not you are willing to take those risks.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 31, 2014 - 07:57 AM