Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why can't I just stay unemployed? the job hunting hell
anna k
post Nov 4 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

(((sassygrrrl) I hope you can find some decent temp or seasonal work soon.

I re-wrote a cover letter for an editorial job, after a buddy showed me what I had written wrong in previous editorial letters. I hate re-writing letters and feeling like I keep making these dumbass faux pas even if I look at cover letter tips to write one better.

I may have an interview for a well-paying receptionist job, I heard about it through a family contact. It sounds very promising, I hope that my resume pasts muster and that I get an interview.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Nov 3 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #22

sassygrrl

Kari, how did it go? There are a ton of jobs outside the perimeter. I don't drive so it's difficult.
I'm not even finding part time work. I'm considering seasonal work and temp jobs just to get some money.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Nov 3 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

That's great, Kari! Good luck!

I get fed up with trying to find good work, just sending out resumes and cover letters, no matter how great I make it, it feels like it doesn't get seen amongst tons of other applicants. I've had decent interviews for jobs, but haven't lucked into anything great. It can feel very disappointing and scary to think that I can't get my dream work. I have my PT job, and freelance writing, but I want a serious career in publishing, even though the industry is being changed up a lot now. I try to comfort myself by knowing that tons of people in publishing have been laid off now, but it still worries me to not have my dream career going, and I've been trying hard for it.

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 29 2009, 07:09 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

Outside the perimeter geographically, Sassy? Or skill set- wise?

I had a good informational meeting yesterday. The person said they will help me revamp my resume for the field & will also introduce me to other contacts. woo!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Oct 28 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #25

sassygrrl

Thanks kari! For some reason I'm seeing a lot of jobs that are outside the perimeter. Rats!

How is everyone doing?

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 27 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Fingers crossed for you too sassy!!!

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Oct 27 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #27

sassygrrl

Sorry, Bust was being whack.

Me too. Cross parts.
Still researching school though.

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Oct 27 2009, 08:39 AM
Post #28

sassygrrl

Me too. Cross parts.
Still researching school though.

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 27 2009, 07:42 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Applied for a job. Will let you know what (if anything dry.gif ) happens.

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 19 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

((((anna k)))) I know how badly that stings. Hang in there. I agree w/ Angie. If you made a good impression (which I am sure you did!) you never know when something else might turn up with them. I know people who interviewed, didn't get the job, but then later got a call from the company about a different job.

Job hunting blows. That is all.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Oct 17 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

anna_k, don't get discouraged! The same thing happened to me all last year, over and over. It's just that things are soooo competitive right now. The advice I've always read is to always keep trying, because if you look great in an interview, you never know what they might keep you in mind for.

I don't know where I will be going after this. I heard my boss last week talking to someone about how hard they were looking for funding for the future with no success.. so there goes my chace at any more internships there! The Alberta government has cut off all contract positions indefinitely, which had been my previous niche. Must start school applications...

+Quote Post
strgtgrlwrkpos
post Oct 16 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #32

(((((anna k))))) You really have to be resilient in this market. Been checking out in HR advice and it seems even when you are the perfect fit for the role it's still difficult. The people who got the job you were going for probably had a Phd and had 10 yrs experience or smthng.

kari: Yes, I'm hearing more and more networking is the thing to do. Recruitment consultants aren't helping me at all at moment!! hope the transition goes well for you, best wishes w it.

angie_21: seems you're doing better than some of us. smile.gif At least you're tided through the Xmas period which is a dead time for getting a new job in my experience

+Quote Post
anna k
post Oct 16 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

I didn't get the job. I'm pretty dissapointed about it, because it would have been great for career advancement and money and would have helped me out so much. I'm doing a lot of creative work, but a lot of it is unpaid or low-paying, and I had felt so confident with these interviews, like I would get on well there. I was told by the agency that they went with other candidates, it's hard not to second-guess myself when I felt like I did so well. I will try to move on and not be so hard on myself, but it's hard.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Oct 13 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

The second interview went great last week! The guy liked my background, and saw that I had written for Venus, and said he really liked that magazine (brownie points!) I noted how working with the different departments gives more room for cross-training, and he agreed. I got on nicely with him, and since there are three positions available, it feels better than if there were only one. I'm waiting this week to hear back from the agency, but I really want this job.

I'm also doing some freelance work as a film writer, and tomorrow am interviewing a director of a new indie film. I got all the press info from the PR firm, and will read it all and write up questions, but I'm nervous, since I haven't seen the film (I wasn't able to go to the advance screening). I love doing this work, meeting people, and feeling more in a small circle, plus happy that people like my writing and send me more work to do. It's great for networking and building connections with people.

Kari, I think what you're doing is so brave and new and exciting, and I wish you a lot of good vibes in looking for better opportunities in HR.

Angie, I've never had a full-time job with benefits, either. That would be a dream.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Oct 13 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey everyone, I'm popping in to say hi. I was here last spring while unemployed for 2 months and looking for work. So far only contracts have come up, but they've been fun, at least!

What happened with your interviews Anna? Kari, I agree networking is huge. If I didn't know people in my field, I wouldn't have have worked a single hour in the last year. Only one of my contracts came through "official" channels (sending in a resume through Young Canada Works for an internship), but even with that job, I knew about it through a friend who used to work there and she gave me the inside story. The rest of my contracts came from sending a few emails letting my friends and professors know I was looking for work, and then people would call me up out of the blue saying, "X told me you're pretty good, want to do this work for us?"

Faerie, I've also never had a full-time job with benefits. I know it sucks not having that security, but you know, I am thankful for having that much more control over my time and not feeling like I'm trapped into doing the exact same job my whole life.

*good luck vibes to everyone* I know you are all so smart and capable, you will find something!

I've been successfully employed since mid-April, but January is the end of my current contract, and so far no luck applying for anything new. I'll be working 1/3 hours at 1/2 my current rate of pay teaching a sessional class from January-April, and then I don't know what. I think I'll have to waitress to supplement the teaching income, if I can even get a job doing that! No one is hiring in alberta right now, the government and all the major employers have had a hiring freeze since last winter. Last year I applied at a temp agency, and they said I was awesome and should get at least a few hours a week... never got a single call.

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 13 2009, 07:02 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

welcome back, strgt! Yes, they did do some work on the site. It's been a while back. I think it is better than it used to be.

As far as networking - I feel like in the past I haven't used it enough. I am convinced that's the best way to find positions though. I'm trying to switch from legislative/policy analysis to HR.

+Quote Post
strgtgrlwrkpos
post Oct 13 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #37

anna k: that's great! Hope they go well.

sassygrrl: I'm applying to all types of stuff too. It is so dire! sad.gif Wish I could just find a job much easier instead of putting all this effort in.. Even after the effort I don't know how it's going to be. The economy is so tough right now.

faerietails: congrats! Hope it goes well.

kari: do you rely on networking a lot? What industry is it in?

Btw has this forum been streamlined lately?? Returned after a long absence and it looks that way. Also I def have posted in the past but I guess those posts have been wiped with the streamlining..

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 7 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

~~~~~vibes for faerie!~~~~~~ That's very exciting! I will be crossing my fingers for you. When do you interview for the FT job?

I had the first informational interview yesterday. It went well, got lots of information. Trying to keep my confidence up right now.

+Quote Post
faerietails
post Oct 6 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #39

donut-lovin' heathen

((sassy)) I know how it is. I looked for part time work around here for months with no lead.

I got 2 calls Friday that completely blew my mind. 1 was a job offer for a part time tutoring position at a local college. The other was for a job interview for a full time position in that same school's library. I think there's a pretty good chance I can get it. And if I do? It'll be my first full time job ever.

I taught at a college up in NY last year, but it was adjunct work, and though I loved it, I still had to work 2 other jobs too just to pay my bills and rent (which is why I kind of disappeared off the face of the lounge). I got my MA two years ago, and my BA 4 years ago, but I've never been able to find a full time job. I sent out hundreds of resumes, but I'd either get ignored, or they'd call and say I was overqualified (for stuff like secretary work). It's insanity. So hopefully, I can get this job. If not, I am so so screwed.

In the meantime, I've since moved back home and now reside on my parents' couch. I hate living this way.

+Quote Post
kari
post Oct 5 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Good luck sassygirl! Any new leads?

Anna, did you have the second interview yet?

I'm currently employed, but thought I'd pop in here b/c I am looking for a new job. And I hate it. I know I'm fortunate to be employed, I'm very thankful about that. It's just that job hunting makes one feel so inadequate. Ugh.

My main problem is finding appropriate job leads. Right now I work for an agency that's kind of isolated. I don't really come into contact with people from other organizations, so it's hard to network. Which is what I know I need to be doing. I do have 2 informational interviews set up for this month though. One is a person a friend of mine introduced me to, and the other is someone I encountered at a conference. I called her, she was very nice & willing to meet with me. I am hoping they can give me some advice.

blink.gif

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24, 2014 - 05:14 AM