Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Looks Like We Got Ourselves a Reader...'
cellijenni
post May 11 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #1601

BUSTie

this is going back a bit...

but, back to the murakami.

i just finished kafka on the shore and really enjoyed it. my faith is restored :-)

have any of you ladies read Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post May 7 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #1602

sassygrrl

Mandi, I am so uber jeolous! I am in the process of reading A Dirty Job, and loving every minute of it! I wouldn't know what to say to an author that I met. I'm amazed looking back on it, that I didn't faint when I met Doug Coupland a couple of years ago....I lost the book he signed :-(

Thanks for some good trashy celeb bios...

+Quote Post
lunasol
post May 7 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #1603

Hardcore BUSTie

yeah, sorry anna, see my edited post.

+Quote Post
anna_k
post May 7 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #1604

BUSTie

Oh, I know. I've met her a couple of times, she's cool.

I meant Janice Dickinson when talking about the modeling. Catsoup just mentioned her books, so I was responding to that.

+Quote Post
lunasol
post May 7 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #1605

Hardcore BUSTie

in between studying, i've been reading marge piercy's sex wars which is the freaking BOMB. it's about the post-civil war suffragist period, and is just so good. i definitely recommend it.

Edited cause i'm a moron and should read at least a few posts before posting.

+Quote Post
anna_k
post May 7 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #1606

BUSTie

Light reading this past weekend:

- A bio of Uma Thurman, which makes her sound very insecure in her early 20s by growing up quickly (she was 6 ft by age 12, was made fun for her looks by classmates, moved around a lot, ditched school to work as an actress and model in NYC at 15, and went back and forth between being flirty and sexy and being withdrawn and anxious). I'm surprised that she was 24 in Pulp Fiction, I thought she was 32 at the time.

- Janice Erlbaum's Girlbomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir.

- Rereading Francesca Lia Block's Echo, just for fun and to reread my favorite sections.

No Lifeguard on Duty is good. The second one is more post-comeback and kinda cheesy. I still don't think Janice was as big in her time as she claims. I saw her briefly mentioned in Gia Carangi's biography, but as a kid I was into supermodels and knew a lot of their names, past and present. And I never saw Janice's name ever mentioned until recently.

+Quote Post
catsoup
post May 3 2006, 04:24 PM
Post #1607

Sarcasm is the refuge of losers.

I love Janice Dickinson's biographies. The first one (No Lifeguard on Duty) is much better than the 2nd.

+Quote Post
curioushair
post May 3 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #1608

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm going to re-read Stacy Horn's Waiting For My Cats to Die. (I loved it the first time, we'll see now that it's five years later and my taste has grown-up some. (Not really.)

Also thumbing through Vanessa Davis's Spaniel Rage.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
anna_k
post Apr 29 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #1609

BUSTie

I just finished Joyce Carol Oates' short story collection The Female of the Species. Her writing is like comfort food for me, it's very predictable and formulaic and usually follows femme fatales/perverts/messed-up kids/lonely ugly girls/white-collar businessmen. This isn't any different, but I thought some of the stories were memorable.:

- "Doll: A Romance of the Mississippi" is based on Lolita and has the girl be pimped by her father as a "no touching" prostitute, and it gets nasty when Oates describes the girl's body and sexuality.
- "So Help Me God" was good as a story about a young girl who married an intimidating, disturbing cop and her loneliness as his "blond princess."
- One that I was ambivalent about was "Angel of Wrath," about a guy who stalks a young woman and becomes obsessed with her. He sounds like a complete freak but validates himself with affirmations that "she doesn't know that she loves me yet, but she'll know soon enough" and keeping up this messed-up stalker relationship with her no matter what she does to get rid of him.

Trashy celeb bios: Motley Crue's The Dirt, Anthony Kiedis' Scar Tissue, Courtney Love's bio by Poppy Z. Brite, and Gia Carangi's bio Thing of Beauty.

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Apr 29 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #1610

Hardcore BUSTie

I kind of liked Call Me Anna by Patty Duke. I guess that qualifies as a trashy celeb bio, but I was thinking of studying psychology at the time. Yeah, I read it for research, sure.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
sassypants
post Apr 29 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #1611

BUSTie

DO NOT make fun of me for this!

A friend reminded me of this book last night (when she produced it as a grad gift), its not great literature, but its a damn good read: "Debbie: My Life" by Debbie Reynolds. The things she's gone though :-) I recommend it to anyone who is low and wants a silly pick-me-up.

Does anyone else ever read trashy celeb biogs? Any recommendations?

+Quote Post
vesicapisces
post Apr 28 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #1612

Hardcore BUSTie

Mornington, that's a trip. I can't imagine what it would be like reading TEA and not knowing the plot of JA! I think there are a lot of in-jokes. As far as non-fiction + science-based, what would you think of Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel? It's about the relationship between Galileo and his younger daughter, with whom he corresponded extensively (she was in a convent) throughout the key years of his publication, trial, etc. - very interesting historical look at his work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mornington
post Apr 28 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #1613

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

i loved Prep... I devoured it in a couple of days (and although it's late, I loved the eyre affair and the sequels. And I haven't read Jane Eyre... I couldn't get into it.)

I think I'm going through a phase of reading non-fiction science books again... anyone got anything to get me out of this rut? or deeper into it?

+Quote Post
sassypants
post Apr 28 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #1614

BUSTie

Oooo I love Catch-22, but like you haven't read the sequel. Too worried about tainting the original I guess.

Its not similar, but I do have a book reccomendation that I've been pressing on all my friends and customers (I work at a bookstore). "The Know It All" by A.J. Jacobs. Its perfect for anyone who is a trivia/knowledge buff. Its his account of his attempt to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from A-Z. Split up like the Britannica into different topics you get a funny speedy jaunt through the encylopedia. Love it.

Also other book I read recently that I enjoyed: "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld. About a girl in bording school, it is so spot on with its looks at the female teenage years. Highly recommend. Plus I met some of friends of hers last summer at the store and they said she was lovely, I like to support lovely authors.

+Quote Post
shadowboxer
post Apr 28 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #1615

I've just finished Catch22 by Joeseph Heller and loved it because of its similarity in humour to Douglas Adams. I'v noticed that Catch22 has a sequel but i'm skeptical that it can live up to my expectations. So i guess what i'm wondering is, can anyone shed any light on it? or if anyone has any other recomendations that are similar i'm all ears (and now with school finally finished for the semester i actually have some free time in which to read- yay!)

+Quote Post

81 Pages V  « < 79 80 81
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 21, 2014 - 04:17 PM