The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
epinephrine
post Oct 9 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #41

Hardcore BUSTie

Came up with a Jillian Michaels/Jari Love-inspired workout plan to get me through the winter and I'm feeling pretty good about it:

- Warmup: 10 minutes on the stationery bike, highest gear I can stand (today I knocked off 5km and 100 calories in 10 minutes)

Quick stretch

- Squats w/ chest press and v-press: two sets of as many reps as I can take
- Pendulum lunges w/ bicep curls: two sets per side; varied reps at normal speed, slow speed and pulsing (pulsing is killer)

Circuit: 3X

- 1 minute crunches w/ chest fly
- 1 minute triceps (either triceps dips or triceps press)
- 1 minute obliques (v-pose w/ twist, side crunches or bicycle crunches)
- 1 minute pushups
- 2 minutes skipping rope

Good long stretch, maybe some yoga

I really like the side crunch Jillian Michaels does in one video (I think she calls it "the squirm") where you lie in a situp position with your arms at your sides, use your ab muscles to lift your whole ribcage off the floor, and just crunch from side to side, reaching for the right foot and then the left without releasing the crunch. It gets the burn going right quick.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Sep 20 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #42

Hardcore BUSTie

Ugh. Moving to a country where I don't have much of a grasp on the language, storebought foods aren't required to put the nutritional information on the packaging, everything in the restaurants tends to be deep fried or wok fried with a couple generous ladlefuls of oil, riding a bike is suicidal, and all the locals seem to be about 80 pounds, I know I'll be wrestling with some weight issues over the next few months. I'm trying to cook healthy food for myself in my dorm - congee, steamed rice and veggies, tofu - but it's not easy. I can actually feel my body getting bigger. There's a gym on the bottom floor which I'll try to make good use of, but I don't like self-directed workouts and I want to get some kind of workout plan so I don't need to think and second-guess myself while I'm working out. I really, really miss my Jari Love workout DVDs. I can't even access youtube over here to stream workout videos, and the internet connection is so slow it'd take days to download. Does anybody know of any websites that have workout plans on them, laying out the type of exercise, number of reps, etc.?

I think I'll set a timer and do some circuit training next time. That's a nice mindless way to get an intense workout with minimal planning.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 9 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

FYS, you should check out Canadian footware in the Exchange if the doctor says you need special shoes. I think they have their own doctor on site and the clerks really know what they're talking about. The only problem with them is they rarely stock size 5's so I usually can't get the shoes I want from them.

I feel like every time I get started with exercise lately I get pushed back. I've been biking to work at least once a week the past 3 weeks (20km round trip). It's a really nice ride and I have a route that completely avoids traffic so I was planning to bike all this week. I'm sick again with a cold though and haven't been at work the last two days.

The warm weather is pretty much gone so I'm thinking it would be a good time to start running again. The running paths I use are a lot less busy all of a sudden.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Sep 9 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

That is a good time about the positive comments, ketto.

After a few months of using my elliptical every day, I've been getting the craziest sore back. I think it may be the shoes I'm wearing while working out. Do I need orthotics? I've got a doctor's appointment on Monday to see. Has anyone else had a sore back from exercise, or needed orthotics?

I'm joining my university's gym today for varation in my workouts to see if it helps. I plan on going a few times a week, and also keeping on with my own elliptical at home. We'll see how it goes.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 2 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I went from being able to run 7km in late April to pretty much nothing now. I haven't been running in months. I had a bit of a breakdown over the summer and a lot of stressful stuff went on that actually made me lose more weight but despite that I'm completely out of shape.

The last two weeks I've been normalizing so I started biking more again. Slowly feeling stronger but also pathetically weak. I have a 10 class pass to hot yoga and one of the studio's is a 2 minute walk from work and one is a 10 minute walk from home. I got the pass in February and I haven't gone once. Now the fall weather is coming in though and I'm starting to feel like I'll try a class in the next couple of weeks. I've been to the studio before and it's not my favourite but hey, 10 classes free is a $150-200 saving.

Spring 2008 was when I was my heaviest at 135lbs (i'm only 4'11). Now I'm sitting around 115 and I've never weighed so little as an adult. I think a mix of slowly slimming down over the last year a half and getting a bit older has really changed my face because all summer people have been telling me how great I look.

Now I just need to get in shape.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
pants
post Sep 1 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah I don't think i could afford a one one one session either, Syb. I did find a studio in Camberwell that seems pretty personable though and only 10 a class which isn't great but isn't terrible either. I may try to go in for a class next week.

I know the yoga isn't a guide to total fitness or anything but I definitely feel a lot stronger and just happier after I've done it. If only because the chanting makes me laugh sometimes.

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Aug 24 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #47

it's cards on the table time

Pants, I keep meaning to start doing yoga at home. Good to know the 5 Tibetan rites provide a serious workout.

I took a yoga class eons ago but I wouldn't rely on it for keeping my form right; I have always heard it's best to get an instructor to check your form before doing it on your own... but that's currently outside my budget so I may just forge ahead.

+Quote Post
pants
post Aug 24 2010, 02:46 AM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been doing Kundalini yoga at home lately using dvds by Maya Fiennes, or rather, trying to get back into the habit of it. I was going strong for 2 months but the last 6 weeks have slacked off, although i started again last week and was all like, 'Pants, you are a mad doofus, you love this why did you stop??' Unfortunately the 5 Tibetans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites) totally kicked my ass on sunday and right now I'm on day two of having very achy muscles. I'm hopeful that by this evening I'll be feeling up to doing some more tonight.

What kinds of yoga are folks here into doing? Am I the only chanter? Because seriously, the chanting felt very stupid at first but now I love it. I even find myself mentally chanting when I'm having trouble sleeping. I feel, though like I ought to be looking into taking proper classes so I can make sure my form is correct and everything, but a part of me likes keeping myself closed off in my living room and keeping it private

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Mar 20 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #49

Hardcore BUSTie

My parents had a scale and I would weigh myself once every couple of weeks but I really can't believe how much less I worry about my weight since I stopped weighing myself. My endo weighs me once every 6 months and that's good enough for me. A good friend of mine told her doctor that she refuses to get weighed anymore and the dr was fine with it. My last two doctors and my dietician all told me that doctors are really moving away from using a scale as a measurement of health (because it's not) and going towards tape measures and assessing individuals.

My exercise this month has still been garbage but my eating has gotten better, less bad snacking. I'm finished my crazy month soon though and I'm looking forward to hopefully going for a run tomorrow.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Mar 20 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, thanks for all your answers everyone! I tried really limiting my wheat content this week and what I did eat was whole grain, and I did find my stomach was very very happy with me. I was also really hungry lol.

My goals are purely to stay healthy and have a body that feels good on the inside. I'd really like to lose weight, but it's not as important to me as being mobile and healthy when I'm 75. That's most of what interested me to the whole palaeo-diet thing, the fact that I know even the diet foods I eat are probably not so good for me. another thing is inflammation - I've have pretty chronic cystitis for 2 years now and the two things that cause it to flare are stress and diet. I've been reading a bit about how processed foods can cause inflammation that irritates your bladder and stomach, but I'd never heard about grains doing it too. If I could make it stop, I'd stop eating anything. (except chili. sigh.)

Our scale is pretty good, but I still think it's funny, I mean, your weight changes by 3 pounds over the day anyways and depending on how much water you have in you, what clothes you're wearing, etc. It helps to not worry to much about individual numbers, but keep a chart to see if there are any overall trends in weight (especially to make sure there aren't any upwards trends! argh!)

+Quote Post
mumblestutter
post Mar 18 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

i've pretty much lost any interest in scales. i've twice done research and spent $70 plus on a bathroom scale that's supposed to be good only to end up pitching both of them. both times i've found i can weigh myself twice in 5 minutes and gain or loose 2 or 3 lbs. that's not much weight, but when you're trying to figure out whether your weight is changing really slowly over time it makes for a really hazy picture. i ended up wasting time trying to control for factors that could be effecting the measurements (cushy floor, unlevel floor, weighing at different times of day, etc). finally i decided i was spending too much time trying to weigh myself and realized i can tell my weight changes by how my clothes fit. a numeric value really isn't important.

recently i was considering buying a scale again so i wouldn't have to use the one at the gym. it was slightly unlevel so standing on one side or the other could change your weight. also, it was one of those fancy electronic ones... and it seemed sometimes it would take longer or shorter to turn on & begin weighing you & the length of time it took it to begin registering your weight would correspond an increase or decrease in the number displayed. i thought if i had one at home i could fix these things. then i realized i'd tried that before and it never works. and that this is a top of the line scale and it still. doesn't work. so yeah, my days of trying to figure out how much i weigh are over.

also, about the whole food sensitivity thing. There are a wide variety of food sensitivities out there. There are many common foods that can cause a different symptoms in varying degrees in different people. Pay attention to what you're eating. Read ingredients and pay attention to how your body reacts afterward. Steer clear of pre-packaged foods. Many pre-packaged foods have really complex ingredient lists making it difficult to determine just what you're reacting to.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Mar 18 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

I happen to like doing stuff that teaches me strength and skill, so dancing, boxing, and weightlifting are all really fun and good benefits for me. My weight fluctuates, it's weird. I can go on the scale where it will read 125 lbs, then later on read as 130 lbs. So I think my scale must be off. I've been following a good and healthy diet, and work out hard a few days a week, but despite some less bloating and tiny weight loss, I don't feel much different. I'm naturally soft all over, and want to be smaller, but muscles and leanness don't show up on me, so I feel like even if I have more strength, I still look like a Victorian lady on the outside. smile.gif

ketto, agree with you on the GF diet. I still eat wheat and gluten sometimes, but not a lot, and reducing it has curbed my IBS and bloating problems.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Mar 16 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #53

Hardcore BUSTie

The Natural Health thread might interest you, angie. I don't know if Chacha still posts (I hope so!) but she's amazing and I bet could answer some of your questions. http://www.bust.com/lounge/index.php?showtopic=51218

A year ago, I would have said that the idea we shouldn't eat grains/wheat is ridiculous. But after all my dietary issues and finding sooooooooooooo many people who can't eat gluten or other grains, I don't think it's so crazy now. That's not to say I think everyone should stop eating wheat/grains, but I think it's worthwhile exploring if it might work for you.

I switched to a GF diet in September and haven't looked back. I immediately lost about 10 pounds, and I did feel hungry for the first couple of weeks. I ate a lot but my body wasn't used to not having the complex carbs of bread or toast...my former favourite comfort food. I found gluten free eating easy, mostly because in November me and my partner moved to our own place and my parents weren't in charge of buying the groceries anymore. I love to cook too, which really helps, so I just make most of my food from scratch. I do still eat other, non-glutenous grains and I made a delicious loaf of gluten free bread on the weekend so I think if you know how to cook for yourself you'll find there are tons of options. But remember, this isn't to say this dietary change would work for everyone - like spot-on says, she finds some wholewheat foods (although quinoa is not wholewheat, it's a separate grain) are her fuel.

I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor in a couple of weeks because of all the issues I'm still having. In some respects I feel a lot better, but I know other foods are setting me off...like tomatoes. I'll probably write about it in the natural women thread.

In terms of the exercising, I happen to think that a good mix is best. Some interval, some slower paced long runs, some faster paced long runs plus weights, cross training, etc.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Mar 15 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #54

Hardcore BUSTie

Marks site is devoted to those that follow a high protein, lower carb/grain diet. Whilst that works great for some and their goals, for others not so much. You have to decide what works for YOU. Personally anyone that tells me I cannot eat wholewheat pasta is gonna get a slap in the face wink.gif Sorry but for my body I thrive on wholewheat nutritious carbs like pasta and quinoa, but the white processed junk? yep that needs to go and I hardly ever eat it unless I can't avoid it (eating out for example). However I have noticed that I have a sensitivity to breads so I steer clear of breads, they make me bloat. That's just my body and how my body reacts, but only to breads nothing else. Not all carbs are the same just as not all protein is the same. Enfermera is right there is so much conflicting information out there, for every site like Marks there are others that will say the opposite, because it's not a one size fits all diet. You have to figure out your goals and how best to fuel YOUR body to reach those goals.

Interval training IS cardio. Heck weight lifting can also be a cardio workout if done in a particular way. What he's saying is that steady state cardio isn't neccessary and yes he's right to an extent (again depending on the individuals goals), interval or HIIT is preferred instead as it burns more calories/fat and increases VO2 max and a whole host of other good benefits. High intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts are done for a set time period with a recovery period, then repeated (example running flat out fast pace for 30 seconds, with 2 min recovery at walking pace, rinse and repeat) it's not JUST done for a few minutes, it's repeated for the entire workout. HOWEVER (and you knew that was coming right?) IMO you have to find the workout you love doing. I happen to like interval style kickboxing/bosu for others it could be turbo kick, for someone else Zumba. The main goal is to just get up and do SOMETHING. the more you enjoy that SOMETHING the more you'll do it. Makes sense right? But doing JUST intervals won't help a distance runner, so some steady state cardio needs to be done, again asses your goals. Also adding in resistance workouts to add/retain muscle so you increase your BMR.

In the end it depends on your goals? Intervals are a great addition to any workout program and I do them in my classes (the class participants don't know they just enjoy the workouts) and intervals works you harder and can be done in so many ways.

What are your goals Angie?

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Mar 14 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #55

Hardcore BUSTie

angie, a lot of people have varying degrees of gluten sensitivities, even if they aren't full-fledged allergies. this is often the case in people with IBS. our culture depends heavily on wheat and other gluten-containing grains, and it seems to be a pattern that the more we are exposed to something, the more likely it becomes to irritate our systems. the irritation is then expressed as varying forms of inflammation--bowels, arthritis, skin, pretty much anything you can think of. i'm not sure exactly how it pertains to weight loss, but i'm of the opinion that getting yourself more healthy over all will probably get you to your healthy weight naturally. also, the more processed anything is, the less healthy it probably is for you, even if it has a lot of fiber. even whole grains used in commercial cereals generally are poorer quality than we would like to think. i get suspicious when any produced food has "added" anything in it: calcium, vitamins, fiber, etc. that usually is a hint (in my opinion) that it wasn't that good for you in the first place.

i've tried to go gluten free. it is HARD, but gets easier as you learn new eating habits. i personally didn't see that much change in the way that i felt, so i stopped. and...don't take my word as gospel truth, of course. i'm not a nutritionist; i've picked up information here and there and read a few books (. i am a nurse, but unfortunately there's so much conflicting information out there about nutrition, and the health care industry is fed by the FDA, so that has had little influence on my nutrition philosophies. this was just my off-the-cuff, knee-jerk response to your mention of grains and gluten. sorry if i didn't answer your questions exactly; i got a little rambly smile.gif also, i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to physical training; i think there are some other people around here who can answer that part better.

good luck with your boy! maybe you can get him to take walks with you or something? i know how hard it is to make progress when the people around us aren't helping.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Mar 14 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #56

Hardcore BUSTie

while surfing around yesterday (procrastination!) I found this blog/website. I know the guy is selling stuff (a book and nutritional supplements) and from his promo photos he looks like a bit of a jerk lol, but I really like his biological focus on how things work and what to eat, and the fact that most of the suggestions on the website are common-sense, no- or low-cost things you can do to stay healthy. BUT I am looking for advice from people with actual training, to tell me what they think of his idea that cardio isn't really necessary as long as you do interval training. In other words, high intensity is important but only for a few minutes, not 20 or more.

I'm also interested in his claim that grains are bad, low-carb good. I mean we've all heard the low carb argument and I think it's just crazy to avoid carbs entirely, but i'm intrigued about grains. I had a friend with IBS who stopped eating all wheat products for a few months and got better (before she gave in and couldn't do it anymore). I've been having a lot of problems myself recently since eat a lot of convenience foods like cereal and added-fibre snacks and I'm wondering if that's why. And if it's true that gluten causes inflammation, I would like to start avoiding it. Has anyone heard of this? I never had before yesterday.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Mar 13 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #57

Hardcore BUSTie

Just here to complain: Last week while my boyfriend was away for work I went our running. twice. I also cooked all the foods I like and he doesn't, which are pretty healthy. It felt great and I actually lost 3 pounds that week. As soon as he got back I went back to cooking food we both like and spending all my free time (which is very little) together, and I gained a pound back already. So frustrating! We've both been starting to get heavier and it's also frustrating that I'm making an effort and he isn't and he also certainly doesn't help motivate me. He just outgrew a bunch of his favourite shirts and it made him feel pretty bad, maybe the shame will finally be enough to motivate him lol

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Mar 11 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

Its finally warm and not icy enough to be able to ride a bike where I live! Last night I bought a new bike, so my biking everywhere sprint has now started and will last until it snows in October. I'll probably lose a few pounds, yay.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Feb 23 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

I know! I was really excited about that win. The only downside is that it's a studio that does a "refined" style of bikram yoga. I normally go to a different studio that does the actual 26 poses of Bikram yoga but it's definitely better than nothing and a little closer to my place than the usual studio. If I had more time I'd probably do one Bikram class and one Moksha class a week.

Well, I knew it was kind of silly that writing down when to exercise in my day planner might help me actually do it but it worked yesterday. Tonight I have soccer so I don't bother doing anything else on these days. Tomorrow might be the one day I really don't have time for a workout but then I have Thursday-Sunday pretty much free so here's hoping I can hang on to the motivation.

My parents always get us all valentine's chocolate and candy and this year she really cut back on what she gave us. I told her I appreciated that. It's nice to get treats, but if they're in the house I can't stop myself from eating them. I told her to please please please buy us less because we just plain don't need it and she finally listened.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Feb 22 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

A free 10 class pass to hot yoga? That sounds really awesome. I like hot yoga, it's hard but I feel so refreshed and light afterwards.

Buttercups, I agree on having little time to exercise. Work has been really busy lately, so most of my exercising has either been walking in the city or going to the gym once a week for a dance class and strength class. Besides that, I'm too tired for any more effort. Living a sedentary lifestyle with work can really make the body feel so limp and lazy. It sounds like you're trying to work in some exercise just to feel good and less stressed, and that's really great.

Zoya, those Pilates classes sound really intense but so good. You sound like you're getting sore and worked all over, in the good way.

ketto, I use Livestrong to track my calorie/fat/carb intake, because I've wanted to lose about ten pounds lately. I weigh 130 lbs at 5'4, and want to feel more leaner and stronger, while still having my petite curvy shape. It recommended me to eat about 1560 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I like using it because it makes me more aware of eating healthy foods and being more mindful, tracking how much I walk every day, and not just eating whatever I want and being unaware of what I'm putting in my body. I've already lost about 35 pounds over two years, and lately have felt like I hit a plateau where my body isn't changing. I took up kickboxing and really enjoy it a lot, but have been busy with work, so I haven't taken a class in a couple of weeks.

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 20, 2014 - 11:22 PM