The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses
gardenpartyy
post Aug 9 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #1

QUOTE(vixen_within @ Aug 8 2008, 07:31 PM) *
Hmm, My grandmother is a supervisor and advised me that some places aren't even hiring LPs any longer - it is being phased out - so it would be well worth it to eventually pursue the BSN (according to her - and she's in a position to know since she hires). She's based in Florida by the way. Perhaps it's a different story elsewhere? An LPN sounds like a good way to start, while pursuing other things as well.

it is true that a lot of hospitals are going to an all-RN staff which isn't very smart because there's already a nursing shortage. so yeah, i'd go for your RN. maybe it's different in other states(im in TN), but here an RN is an RN-whether you have a BS in nursing or not doesn't matter-its all the same(unless, like i said, you want to go into management). i suppose it all depends on what your career goals are. i plan on bridging to RN(ADN) when i get out of LPN school. but for the time being, i'm going to work in my nursing home as an LPN because nursing homes pay LPN's very well.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Aug 8 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(gardenpartyy @ Aug 8 2008, 06:30 PM) *
I'm actually in nursing school(LPN) right now & do part time photography. I wouldn't have it any other way. But you have to be really dedicated because nursing school aint easy. As for the person who's boyfriend says they're too smart to become a nurse, you should probably let him know what's up. Good nurses know almost as much as doctors do, clinically, that is. Studying 6 hours a night isnt anything unusual for me. It's hard as shit, but it's worth it when it's over.

Also, my school has a condensed LPN program, so you're only in for a year. Oh, and if I could throw my opinion in here, unless you want to get into a management position somewhere as an RN, I wouldn't even bother with a BSN program, I'd just go for an ADN. An RN is an RN unless you want to be a supervisor in a hospital or something or go on to become an NP.

Hmm, My grandmother is a supervisor and advised me that some places aren't even hiring LPs any longer - it is being phased out - so it would be well worth it to eventually pursue the BSN (according to her - and she's in a position to know since she hires). She's based in Florida by the way. Perhaps it's a different story elsewhere? An LPN sounds like a good way to start, while pursuing other things as well.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
gardenpartyy
post Aug 8 2008, 05:30 PM
Post #3

I'm actually in nursing school(LPN) right now & do part time photography. I wouldn't have it any other way. But you have to be really dedicated because nursing school aint easy. As for the person who's boyfriend says they're too smart to become a nurse, you should probably let him know what's up. Good nurses know almost as much as doctors do, clinically, that is. Studying 6 hours a night isnt anything unusual for me. It's hard as shit, but it's worth it when it's over.

Also, my school has a condensed LPN program, so you're only in for a year. Oh, and if I could throw my opinion in here, unless you want to get into a management position somewhere as an RN, I wouldn't even bother with a BSN program, I'd just go for an ADN. An RN is an RN unless you want to be a supervisor in a hospital or something or go on to become an NP.

+Quote Post
silverhalide
post Jul 23 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Well what I am thinking is I could get a nursing degree and then work part-time, then do my photography/graphic design on the other half. I also want to take some design classes. Nursing would provide a lot of stability. I mean, they will practically pay you to go, as far as tuition reinbursement. Also, anywhere you go you would have no problem finding work--so you could move anywhere. I am started to get seduced by the freedom and security that it would offer.

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Jul 21 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #5

the moistiest

there's a medicine thread that died a horrible death a while back--it was intended for all health professionals-- that i'm going to bump.

as a side note, my sister is a teacher with a shitload of education under her belt, but can't get a job in her state for those reasons. she's contemplating going to nursing school for job security and money.

+Quote Post
vixen_within
post Jul 21 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

This is going to be a good thread. I've been interested in this topic and will be a-lurkin'.

--------------------
you cannot erase the reality of me

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jul 21 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm thinking about nursing school too. I'm a nurse's aide right now and I enjoy it.

I've been going to community college for a few years now, and planning to transfer to a university in a year, when I'm 24 and eligible for financial aid. Ordinarily I'd want to major in linguistics, women's studies, art history, or political science (yeah, I STILL can't decide!) but I'm not sure what I'd use any of those for... I just find them interesting.

My boyfriend doesn't want me to be a nurse. He thinks I'm too smart (not that all nurses are dumb but whatever) and that I belong in something more academic.

I don't think I would mind being a nurse, but I DO really want a degree in something else on top of that. The economy is shitty and I don't want to struggle for money the rest of my life, so my practical side is telling me to just go to nursing school next year. But I've always wanted to major in something more academic and I won't be satisfied until I do.

So now I feel like, well crap, do I finish my "impractical" degree in 3 years and then go on to 4 years of nursing school or what? I'm starting to get old- if I'd done things the normal way I would have graduated with a BA a year ago. And school is soooo expensive. I wish I was one of those rich girls who can get a useless degree and not feel all torn up about it.

+Quote Post
silverhalide
post Jul 21 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #8

BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jul 21 2008, 01:57 PM) *
hey silver, the lounge is self modded, so we ask people not to start threads without asking the community forum first.

thanks.

oops! sorry. I was not aware of that.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 21 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #9

new highs in personal lows daily!

hey silver, the lounge is self modded, so we ask people not to start threads without asking the community forum first.

thanks.

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
silverhalide
post Jul 21 2008, 10:42 AM
Post #10

BUSTie

Hello! Just curious if there are any nurses on board here, or if anyone is or has considered going back to school for it. I have a BFA in Photography, but I am really tired of the lack of job opportunities. I am thinking of possibly getting a second degree BSN--even if I end up doing it part time and my art on the other half. I am tired of being broke.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 30, 2014 - 01:50 PM