Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not just your grandma's birth control: Fertility Awareness/NFP
rubberdollz
post Mar 18 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

Angie_21, there is no way to tell before you are going to ovulate. Going by past cycles is really unsafe and not effective because every month you could be different. You can only tell afterwards that you've ovulated but before, nothing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Feb 2 2009, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

There's one thing I'm having trouble figuring out, since most sites out there are to help you conceive, not avoid conception. Since BBT only tells you that you've already ovulated, and you need to give 5 days without sex to account for sperm life, how do you know when to stop having sex, until it's already too late? Is it just based on past patterns? Because that doesn't seem quite safe enough, to me.

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 29 2008, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Also tree... were you just getting off the pill or any other type of birth control? Sometimes a few months of getting off those your temperatures will be totally crazy because your body has to go back to regulating itself. I know my temperatures were nuts when I first started charting and they are just now getting back into a semi-normal state. I was on birth control pills for about 11 or 12 years, I know my body was totally confused when I decided to quit.

Light sleeping isn't a problem either and they talk about that in the books as well. You just do the best you can to try to take a reading around the same time every morning. You may also find that you have a thyroid issue if you are having so much trouble sleeping, but taking your temperature every day will help you to determine any of those possibilities.

I wake up pretty early to go to the bathroom and I found that it's around the same time every morning so I wake up around 3am to take a good temperature and then back to sleep for me! You just need to find a time that works out right for you. Taking your temperature at sporadic times will not give you a consistent reading.

+Quote Post
Laurenzorro
post Oct 29 2008, 04:28 AM
Post #4

BUSTie

Were you taking your temp the same time everyday? Were you leaving the thermometer long enough?
I suppose if you did it for a few months keeping those two things in mind you would find some sort of a pattern

Long cycles aren't a problem....the books mentioned have tips and tricks on regulating cycles. Once you start to really understand FAM and chart for a while you should be able to figure out what's going on and why smile.gif

I cannot recommend it enough!

+Quote Post
tree
post Oct 28 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #5

So, there are a number of reasons why non-hormonal birth control, and non-latex birth control, would be the best options for me. However, I have two questions for you FAM-experienced ladies (and then I guess I should read the book):
1. I tried charting my basal body temperature a couple of years ago, and the readings were pretty much all over the map. Are any of you light sleepers? Sleep "hot"? Any suggestions for getting a true reading?
2. My cycle is about 5 weeks, sometimes a bit longer. That shouldn't be a problem, right?
Thanks!!
-Tree

+Quote Post
rubberdollz
post Oct 28 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

LZ... I have those books as well!!! I LOVE Katie Singer and she makes it very easy to track. I bought them about 4 1/2 months ago and I've been off the birth control since. I actually just started to follow the Weston A. Price eating as well, but that is a slow progress for me.

I have to say that tracking my cervical fluid and temperature takes all of the guess-work out and it's really great knowing what my body is doing at all times.

I know this thread is from like a year ago but I do believe that if you are only checking your cervical fluid you need to go the extra step and check your temperature as well. Your temperature really helps to let you know where you are at... kind of like having cereal with no milk, or Kool-aid with no sugar... can't have one without the other.

+Quote Post
Laurenzorro
post Oct 26 2008, 08:13 PM
Post #7

BUSTie

Oh great!
I've just started charting (about a week ago) and already I am so excited about the insight this method will give me to my own body. I bought the two books by Katie Singer and can't put them down. I'm glad I clued onto this method while I'm still young (19) so that I don't have to be blind to what my body is trying to tell me.

I can see now how distorted my views on the pill were and how much better and SAFER I am now that I'm off it.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Oct 21 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #8

brown delicious

bump for lauren

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
anarch
post Mar 22 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey gals,

there was a discussion in here last year about charting cervical fluid only vs charting cervical fluid + temps. I announced that I mostly relied on cervical fluid only (though I did track my temps for several months, and then mislaid the thermometer and never got around to finding it again) and that if it failed me, you guys would be among the first to know.

Well, after 3.5 years of successfully avoiding pregnancy...I'm 5 weeks along. My oh-so-conventional MD may have been gloating inside but she was quite professional while she outlined my options. I made sure to tell her that I'd still be successfully un-pregnant if I'd been charting my temps too (since rising temps are an unequivocal sign of ovulating/not ovulating). And 3.5 years is 3.5 years longer than she thought it would work.

We're still processing the whole thing (I just took the pregnancy test on Tues). Might take it as a Sign that we're supposed to have a kid now (we never ruled out kids completely otherwise he'd have gotten a vasectomy), or might not. But I thought I'd better let you ladies know in case anyone who reads this thread was relying on cervical fluid only.

Thanks for that link, moxiegirl. Personally I think the more information teens have about how their bodies work, the better. I hope the Weschlers hammered home just as much info about STDs too - no point in avoiding pregnancy if they'tr exposing themselves to STDs.

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Mar 20 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #10

Nice Kitty

hey girls...i thought you all might find this cool...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7031602043.html

+Quote Post
guitarfiend
post Mar 1 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #11

BUSTie

Chacha, thanks for bumping this thread for me. I came off HBC a year ago after about 7 years taking it and I'm surprised by how much better I feel now I'm no longer on it, and I want to explore my contraceptive options, not being a big fan of the barrier method.

Anyway. So I talked to the bf about FAM and he understandably has reservations about using it. Even so, I still think I'll start making charts because I want to understand my own cycle better, so I'll probably get the Wechsler book you're all talking about.

Thanks everyone! x

+Quote Post
karianne
post Feb 28 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

thisxabovexall....I certainly hope you haven't gotten that feeling from this board. Perhaps the attitude you've observed is a backlash against HBC being shoved down women's throats.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Feb 28 2007, 07:09 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

bumped for guitarfiend!

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
katze
post Aug 8 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #14

BUSTie

I've read studies for FAM that gave perfect use failure statistics of 1 out of 100. Studies are conducted in all sorts of ways and for different reasons. I'm not surprised that planned parenthood would report a study with worse results. I'm mainly disappointed that the knowlege of this method is so repressed in our culture. This method has educated me on my body in ways that I never knew, stuff that I should have known back when I first got my period. I feel so empowered now with this knowledge of how my fertility cycle works and what is going on in there simply by taking my tempurature every morning. I don't judge those who don't use it, but I also don't like closed-mindedness to the method. It really does work and you don't have to be a hippie or a catholic to appreciate it. Personally I'm disturbed by the heavy use and promotion of HBC in our culture. To me this method is terrible for women. It's promoted as the way for a woman to have independence and control of her body, yet it does so by shutting down the reproductive system, one of the natural functions of the female body. HBC promotion is almost saying that a woman can't take charge of her body without denying this fundamental aspect of her womanhood. FAM works with the female body and her natural periods of infertility built into her system. No one will benefit financially from the use of FAM (except the women who save by using it), which is the main reason that it isn't promoted more often. It's sad that women are caught in the middle of desires for large profits by the pharmeceutical industry.

+Quote Post
thisxabovexall
post Aug 7 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #15

BUSTie

Certainly nothing against the ladies here, but it seems like a lot of people who are for FAM seem to have a low opinion of those who don't want to use it. We're too lazy, too prude to or can't control ourselves. Something I've noticed in other forums.

I've seen charts in a few places, such as the new Our Bodies, Ourselves, the FDA website and at Planned Parenthood with the failure rates of various birthcontrol methods. The number of women (out of 100) who would get pregnant within a year with "perfect" use of most hormonal BC was one. "Perfect" use of FAM was 1-9 women out of 100. "Imperfect" use was something like 5/100 for HBC and 25/100 for FAM.

I do have a lot of interest in FAM, though. My natural/hippie/granola side definitely prefers it to hormonal birthcontrol. However, my childfree side says that the failure rate just isn't cool with us. I know it does work perfectly for some people, just like I know that HBC can fail for numerous reasons. I just feel better with the HBC odds at this point.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Aug 7 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #16

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

Cinegirl...have you tried any ovulation predictor kits? Most of the cheaper ones can be really hard to read, but I've heard the clear blue Easy one works really well. It's pretty expensive, but sometimes you can pick up a used monitor on ebay and then just buy the strips. I haven't really gotten whole hang of temping every day either.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Aug 7 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks, katze.

My obsession is less about getting pregnant than it is about a fear of infertility. I've been seeing weird things in my temperatures (even after I stopped drinking) and my cervical fluid is generally inconclusive b/c of the cryo I had for pre-cancerous nonsense a few years back.

From what I understand from making the switch from prevention to TTC, you consider your fertile period to be very wide when using FAM for prevention, but that's because you can't predict when ovulation will occur. You're conservative in case you ovulate, not because you're actually fertile. For conceiving, you want to have sex as much as possible (like you said) but you can only get pregnant when ovulation occurs, and that's dependent also on how long the sperm can live in your body. So if you have to plan around crazy work schedules like we do, you want to know what's going on...

QUOTE(katze @ Aug 7 2006, 03:06 AM) *

cinegirl,

I have read that ovarian pain is a secondary symptom and should only be considered to reconfirm the primary symptoms of temperature shift and mucus. There could be other resons for temp fluctuations, like alcohol consumption the night before, stress, illness, the thermometer being warmer than usual, etc. I've only learned to interpret the symptoms for preventing pregnancy, so I don't know how they are approached when TTC. Is it really that important to know the date of ovulation? Couldn't you just have sex everyday during your fertile period for the best chance?

--------------------
read what i'm reading at Reading is my Superpower

+Quote Post
katze
post Aug 6 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #18

BUSTie

cinegirl,

I have read that ovarian pain is a secondary symptom and should only be considered to reconfirm the primary symptoms of temperature shift and mucus. There could be other resons for temp fluctuations, like alcohol consumption the night before, stress, illness, the thermometer being warmer than usual, etc. I've only learned to interpret the symptoms for preventing pregnancy, so I don't know how they are approached when TTC. Is it really that important to know the date of ovulation? Couldn't you just have sex everyday during your fertile period for the best chance?

+Quote Post
cinegirl
post Aug 4 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

So I have been obsessively reading/memorizing Taking Charge of Your Fertility to try to make sense of my cycle. I've been charting with the book since going off the pill last August, using a diaphragm for BC during my fertile phase, but now we're actively TTC and all of a sudden I'm obsessed with finding out EXACTLY when I'm ovulating.

Here's what the book is not helping me figure out:

I had a slight thermal shift three days ago, which seems par for the course- I haven't been getting the super-obvious spike the last few cycles. But then last night I had really, really obvious ovarian pain. I mean, it was unmistakeable. It says that the thermal shift occurs after ovulation, but ovarian pain is a sign of ovulation. This makes no sense to me. This morning I didn't have a clear shift, just another temp a tenth of a degree above my highest temps in the first part of my cycle, just like I had the three days previous. I'm so confused! I should add that I've had cryosurgery on my cervix so my cervical fluid is useless for charting. And I have not had much success finding my cervix.

--------------------
read what i'm reading at Reading is my Superpower

+Quote Post
maddy29
post Aug 3 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

hi katze- i was really just responding to what pixie said in her post, aboutnot being totally destroyed if she did get pregnant.

i actually do have an iud, cause i never want kids. and i don't really want to have to think about my fertility, either.

that's really cool about the veggies! wow! kind of amazing actually.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 04:44 PM