Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Writer's Block
solaria
post Apr 10 2009, 02:31 PM
Post #41

BUSTie

so I checked out LiveJournal, and I'm not so down with it. Mostly because of the "no delete" aspect. I guess it is really publishing your words as you can't go back and edit or delete anything you post. If I were going to publish, it wouldn't be my journal, I would be way too self conscious, and probably a little dishonest.

I did write some stream-of-consciousness in my journal on Wednesday until I filled the page, and it felt good. I remembered what it felt like to have a relationship with words...you know, when they come to your mind all on their own? It was lovely.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
solaria
post Apr 7 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #42

BUSTie

I agree with angie that talent never "dries up", but I think its like a yoga practice, if you put it on a shelf for a long time you will be very stiff when you start up again. But it's not about doing it "while you're young", or anything like that. If you really intend to cultivate it, it will happen at the right time.
I have long since let go of the dream of writing for a living--career-wise. But I feel so guilty for "squandering" my gifts. Like "oh, these gifts aren't good enough, so I'm too embarassed to use them" when of course they are in my hands to develop and craft, and doesn't everyone suck at the beginning? Doesn't it take a lot of bad (really, really bad ) writing to finally break through and create some good writing?

I am really glad to be talking about this. I am going to check out the livejournal thing.

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 6 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #43

Hardcore BUSTie

wow, it is such a relief to hear that there are other girls with these thoughts! I have been starting to think that maybe I am just lazy or a big fraud.

For me, another thing is that my efforts go towards a lot of other pursuits & activities that are fulfilling in the way that writing used to be. So I should be happy that I am experiencing these things, and also all these experiences could contribute very much to better writing in the future.

I think you're right though, GL, that a lot of authors out there got better with age. I don't think people can "dry up" and lose their talents, but if my experience is any indication, it's easy to lose the passion and creativity if you don't work on it. I guess my problem is that I have never tried to "force" my writing, thinking that the creativity would somehow strike all on its own. I don't think I'd ever be able to do a livejournal (more out of fear that no one would read it than anything else lol). I am starting to wonder, though, if I shouldn't just admit to myself that I am meant to be an academic writer, not a creative one.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Apr 6 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #44

Hardcore BUSTie

But then again, Dostoyevsky wrote his best stuff after 40 innit? At least, I'm hoping I'll be able to pick up again later. I get worried that it's not like riding a bike AT ALL and that if I don't practice I might dry up. But maybe we'll all just turn a different flavour like unopened wine.

QUOTE(angie_21 @ Apr 5 2009, 06:23 PM) *
I get the exact same thing! It's been about 10 years since I wrote in a journal because I get a few sentences done and then just think, "wow, this is self-indulgent and boring. why am I doing this?" even though I used to love it...

And I wonder if that's why something like a Livejournal can be so freeing. Because, at least there appears to be a rational for writing about yourself since it's more there than this audience of yourself, and more of a community feeling there. (I've stopped doing LJ too though, of course rolleyes.gif )

There was a woman who used to post here (Miss Thing I think) who started doing the 100 words a day challenge using her livejournal. Come to think of it, that might be a good idea if the site is still up. hm.

edit: it looks different than it use to but it's still here http://www.100words.com/

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Apr 5 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

angie -wow, I could have written that post. I'm coming up on 25, and I'm beginning to feel like I need to produce something or admit defeat.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 5 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #46

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girl_logic @ Apr 4 2009, 08:51 PM) *
I'm really shy to write in my journal now. I get a conflicting feeling of anger and blase.

I get the exact same thing! It's been about 10 years since I wrote in a journal because I get a few sentences done and then just think, "wow, this is self-indulgent and boring. why am I doing this?" even though I used to love it. I think it's because now I am less shy, and my friends and boyfriend now get to hear my inane ramblings instead of me writing them down on paper.

I used to think that I was going to be a writer, no matter what. Now it takes a lot of effort to get anything out. I know no one loves their job, but if I'm 25 and don't have the passion to have already done more than this with my writing, it must not be as important to me as I thought. The sad thing is, I know I'm good at it. But in the past, writing filled a need for expression that isn't as strong as it used to be. Maybe it was something about being a teenager.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Apr 4 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #47

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(solaria @ Apr 2 2009, 08:15 AM) *
I think I've had writer's block for two and a half years now. Well, it started as writer's block anyway, now maybe it is just avoidance? I always resolve to start a writing practice, but it hasn't gotten far. Lack of confidence? Laziness? what is at the root of this? I used to write constantly. Lyrics and poetry mostly. I can't believe I haven't even kept a journal for over two years. I was really making progress, and then....a few bumps in other areas of my life, and I started a "serious relationship" that took my attention. now I am constantly trying to find that balance again.

I feel the same way. All unbalanced, distracted & gone too long. I'm even starting to feel like, 'well I haven't written anything in x long, and I haven't dropped dead and the world hasn't caved. Maybe it was never that important for me at all.'.

I'm really shy to write in my journal now. I get a conflicting feeling of anger and blase.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Apr 3 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #48

Hardcore BUSTie

I have been seriously researching freelancing for the last week (I am a true academic - all research and no action ha ha) and it looks a lot more boring than it sounds. You have to be prepared to do a lot of bad web writing, advertising, etc, to break in to it, then you have more freedom to write what you want. I am at a loss for where to start since I have no portfolio, because everything I've ever written is owned by oil companies and the government. If you are looking for information, I found About.com to be pretty useful.

I took a creative writing course in undergrad that basically acted as a writer's group. Because we were all unpublished and just beginner's, everyone was very enthusiastic and we had a lot of fun. Every week we met for class, did some actual schoolwork, then handed out our stories and critiqued eachother's work. It was great starting out because you had to get over your shyness about your writing really quickly, and it was all constructive criticism because no one was experienced enough to consider themselves an "expert" (and we all had to play nice if we wanted to pass the course). Too bad the experiences aren't so good once writers get out into the real world, it sounds kind of like it gets competitive and catty.

+Quote Post
solaria
post Apr 2 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #49

BUSTie

for me, writing was finally starting to spill over into that performance and interactive level. I was kind of using writing and lyrical poetry as an entry into the world of vocal instrumentation. I don't feel confident as a singer, although I plan to one day save up for voice therapy and singing lessons. it was great for a while, but now I am just not confident or something.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Apr 2 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

I was feeling down last night, and to combat it, I wrote a movie review, to write something creative and not just be bored. It really helped a lot to do something constructive.

DFW I assume is David Foster Wallace, a famous writer who unfortunately committed suicide last year.

I went to a writer's meetup last month, and it felt good to hear other writers talk about their work, but writing is such an invididual and private activity, not the same as acting or music, which can be more performance-based and interactive.

+Quote Post
solaria
post Apr 2 2009, 08:15 AM
Post #51

BUSTie

I think I've had writer's block for two and a half years now. Well, it started as writer's block anyway, now maybe it is just avoidance? I always resolve to start a writing practice, but it hasn't gotten far. Lack of confidence? Laziness? what is at the root of this? I used to write constantly. Lyrics and poetry mostly. I can't believe I haven't even kept a journal for over two years. I was really making progress, and then....a few bumps in other areas of my life, and I started a "serious relationship" that took my attention. now I am constantly trying to find that balance again.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Apr 2 2009, 07:39 AM
Post #52

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooh, hello thread!

I'm not a writer at all, but I'm starting a creative writing course in a couple of weeks and am oh-so-very excited. It's a 3-month evening course through one of the London colleges, with a mixture of classes and group work.

I am feeling quite apprehensive about the group thingummy, especially with your comments AP! Has anyone had any good experiences?

P.S. Who's DFW?

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Apr 2 2009, 02:40 AM
Post #53

Big Fat Bitch

I wish this thread got more play. I really do. So many of us have a deft hand with the word.

I've always hated writers' groups. I've tried several times, but it always seems to be nothing but theft & back-biting. And there is always that one asshole who contributes nothing but his/her grandiose musings on being the next DFW.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
BetseyJ
post Mar 10 2009, 02:57 PM
Post #54

The 11yr old Blogger Tavi makes me feel like such a lazy blogger. ugh...and I'm 25!

What to do when you work a normal day job, but also want to pay attention to your blog?!?

I've started writing my posts at work, and saving them through Google Documents, but it just doesn't seem like enough.

<3
Betsey J.

(http://BetseyJ.Com)

--------------------

+Quote Post
sassygrrl
post Feb 22 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #55

sassygrrl

So I'm considering freelancing. Any thoughts on how to start? I just miss writing...

+Quote Post
alluna
post Feb 5 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #56

BUSTie

Awww, why you gotta post that kinda stuff?? Now I'm a slacker, too.

Plus, her name is 'Adora'. If I ever meet a princess, I'm dragging her to a courthouse and renaming her 'Adora'. It just must be.

Actually, I've been busting buns lately to flesh out a Harry Potter costume section on my site, in which I write for nearly 8 hours each day. This leaves little time for works of fiction, but at least I'm productive, right?

Check for spelling errors if you like:
http://diyfashion.about.com/od/costumes/ig...otter-Costumes/

--------------------
Rain Blanken
'Rain Strong!'

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Feb 4 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #57

the moistiest

pppsssht. amateur.

wink.gif

reminds me of this 14 yo girl like 10 years ago who was publishing vampire novels. she had a spread in people mag, and i was wikked jealous. until i read an excerpt.

eta: amelia atwater-rhodes.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Feb 4 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #58

brown delicious

This 11 yr-old writer made me feel like a slacker.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
alluna
post Jan 27 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #59

BUSTie

Seems like we could just have a writing group right here. What kind of stuffs did your group do?

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. blink.gif

--------------------
Rain Blanken
'Rain Strong!'

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 27 2009, 08:22 AM
Post #60

PANTIES! ew.

It started off as a class (paid, structured) and then we branched off on our own (unpaid, no structure). I think it's going to fizzle out just because no one can get their shit together to meet up, so maybe I won't need to do the breaking up after all. If I'm going to be in a group, I want there to be more ass kicking.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 05:42 PM