Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It's Not That Easy Being Green
MadameHooch
post Sep 15 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #41

BUSTie

I want to try and take my green efforts up a notch by bringing my own containers to pack up leftovers when I'm at a restaurant. However, I must admit I feel a bit silly! I've yet to do it (I meant to take a nice little container to the diner with me last night to package up the rest of my Greek Salad, but I left in in the car and was admittedly too lazy to go back and get it.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jul 8 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #42

beachcomber

hoosierman: along w/ grocery stores, go to a hardware & toy store also next time you are abroad.
the hardware store in the local german village where we were stationed had *everything* in teal !
plungers - rope-mopes- you name it.
it was surreal to say the least!
but wandering around a hardware store was still somewhat familiar & made me feel closer to the US when I was most homesick & after my first few trips there for small purchases of key copies etc, the proprieters tolerated me well enough.
and the toy stores. ha. it was just too much to resist pushing every button we saw to make everything there talk.
no doubt that was uber annoying for the clerks but how often do you get to hear Elmo say I Love You in German?
cheap thrills for the poor travelers. laugh.gif

today's best Greenie: $48.50 in credit at the used book store !!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
hoosierman78
post Jul 8 2009, 06:48 AM
Post #43

BUSTie

Freckle:
I seem to recall a somewhat shady Aldi's in Lafayette while I was in college - though being a poor college student, I didn't seem to mind too much. Besides, those frozen eclair things they have are awesome!

The treasure hunts sound like fun, I'll have to try that the next time I'm out of the country. I'll eat almost anything, though I'm sure there are times that the surprise is less than pleasant.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jul 7 2009, 05:42 AM
Post #44

beachcomber

Hooiserman:
they had an Aldi's in my hometown in IN of LaPorte {25+} years ago.
it was kinda.. shady.. like it was super Super cheap, like damanged (read: mangled) goods, off off OFF brands, you get the idea. we'd go there every once in awhile.

then in Germany, they were all over the place and a lot better. very clean and modern and popular and yes- as they do in Europe anyway- you brought your own baskets/bags/whatever.
my girlfriends & I would go there on "treasure hunts" bc it was a great source for cheaper candy & we'd get a kick out of trying to guess what was really inside a bottle or can bc we couldn't read the language. laugh.gif

they opened an Aldi here where I live a few years ago & I'd say it's probably a mix between the 2: relatively clean & with great (better than before) generic brands. the mr & I buy our chips & canned goods there & stock up.
they have the bags there you can buy also - at the end of the register.

* I have a Green confession in the Confessions thread that I am too embarrassed to post here.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
tankgirl
post Jul 6 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #45

Hardcore BUSTie

There's a few Aldi's near me but I have never seen bags there. I always grab a couple of boxes and shove everything in there. I'll have to check out if they have reusable bags, I am always in need of big sturdy ones so I can fit more in.

+Quote Post
hoosierman78
post Jun 30 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #46

BUSTie

They just opened an Aldi grocery store where I'm at. If you haven't seen them, basically they are a discount grocer, selling some name brand, but mostly generic branded foods at a steep savings over typical grocery stores. They don't bag anything for you, but give you the option to buy bags. I had a cart full of stuff, bought 3 of their canvas bags for $1.99 each, and wound up using only 2. They're huge and seem fairly robust.

Just thought I'd pass that along to those with an Aldi near by.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jun 10 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #47

beachcomber

I got a new reusable shopping bag that says " I used to be something else." that was made of re-used cotton. yah!
(cvs $8.99)

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post Jun 6 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #48

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Seriously, I think it depends on store to store and even cashier to cashier. Some days I've brought my bag into Wal-mart with no problem, while others I've brought it into the local grocery store and had the person taking the stuff out of the plastic bag because they didn't see or hear me say I brought my own until it was too late. However, I don't see too many other people with their own bags around here, so it could just be where I live.

Freckle, most of the places I go to are willing to bag it for you if you brought your own, but it could be a regional thing. A lot of the big grocery stores don't have baggers, so I'm used to doing it myself.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jun 6 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #49

beachcomber

a lot of stores here have reusable bags at/near the register too, but that doesn't really seem to make much an impact on the cashiers.
- when you bring your own bags are you supposed to bag your own stuff too?
that might explain the weirdness in Hamricks the other day!

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 5 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #50

Hardcore BUSTie

Tankgirl, maybe a year or two ago I was picking up some things at walmart and brought my own bags. When I told the cashier no bags she kept saying, "really? No bags? You're sure?....So, no bags then?" It was so weird. I worked at a grocery store for 3 years and tons of people brought in their bags. I was shocked it was such an anomaly at evilmart.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
tankgirl
post Jun 5 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #51

Hardcore BUSTie

It's really strange how in different parts of the country people react to the green bags differently. Around here everywhere has them right at the cash register and a lot of places expect you to have them. Even Walmart has a stack of them in the bag corral and every time I go there (I know I shouldn't but some of their food is just so cheap ) the cashier is always so nice about me using my bags and bagging my own groceries.

I went to NH for a few weeks last month and I hardly couldn't even find any reusable bags in any of the grocery stores, they didn't even keep them near the registers. I also hardly ever saw anyone using them. All my family members that I mentioned using reusable bags to just said "that's a great idea" and then went on to get their groceries plastic bagged. I think I am going to buy a bunch of them and send them to all my family up there and tell them if they don't use them I will stop talking to them, haha.

When I lived up there I walked to the grocery store and back and it was a bit of a hike so I always had my big army backpack to put the groceries in so I didn't even realize how uncommon it was.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Jun 3 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #52

beachcomber

ok so I'm not ordering the Green Is The New Black plate frame after all.
it's $30** for 2 tiny scraps of metal & a touch of plastic lettering!
instead I have ordered this : http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.as...orNo=0&pr=F
which if it doesn't show here has several small multicolored peace signs at the top & the word IMAGINE across the bottom. it was 1/2 the price of the one I wanted & has ~pretty~ colors smile.gif
I wish it had a green sentiment, but I do have a 'Peace. Love. Earth. Recycle' magnetic sticker on the back of my Jeep now too.

going shopping in all sorts of places tomorrow and am armed w/ my various reusable bags (the Dollar Store has bags for duh- $1** & they aren't bad); I'm tempted to take notes of how I am treated for the practice, rate them, and then publish it in the paper as our city recently won some sort of Green Inititive Award.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
hoosierman78
post May 28 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #53

BUSTie

Not only that, but the Escapes & Highlanders are more or less FWD station wagons with a lift kit and AWD system. Perfectly fine most of the time, but now and then you just need to be Trail Rated, or at least I do anyway.

Another nice thing is the lifetime powertrain warranty. The CVT transmission is not a cheap replacement. One thing to keep in mind and I'm not sure if they told you this, but in the fine print of the lifetime warranty, it stipulates that you have to take the vehicle in for periodic inspections at the dealership. I want to say it's every 5 years. They won't mail you a reminder either. Just a quick, easy way for them to void the warranty.

I hear you on the bagging practices, it's the same here. A couple places have started to sell them, but most of the time they have stuff in the plastic bags before you even have the chance to pull out the reusable one.

+Quote Post
lilacwine13
post May 27 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #54

Ambassador from the Republic of Cocktailland

Freckle, at least the person acknowledged you had a bag. Most of the cashiers in my area either don't see the bag so I have to tell them or they start throwing stuff into a plastic bag so fast that I barely have time to whip mine out and tell them they don't have to do it.

--------------------
All I know is that I don't know nothing.--Op Ivy

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post May 27 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #55

beachcomber

I appreciate that Hoosier.
I looked at hybrid Suv's & they were either {Ford Escape Hybrid} much too small (we have 2 large puppies & a teenager) or outrageously over-priced.
our dealer told us that while the sticker says 23/28, it's very possible to get 27/32 from our Patriot. granted, it's only a 4 cylinder rather a 6 or 8 but she's so crazi fun to drive & has so much pick up (& some sort of variable transmission past the D on the auto thing) you'd never know it.
I think I may order that frame now.

weird thing happened while shopping at a dept store yest.
I get up to the register & produce my plasticated World Market shopping bag & ask the cashier to please put my things in there instead; she says ' oh, good for you.'and then proceeds to rings stuff up & then just Stands There, looking at me till after an awkward 45 seconds or so I mumble ' or, ok, I can do this myself ', bag my own stuff and scoot out of there feeling really weird.
I'm tellin' you - people in my area are s l o w to catch on to green business practices! huh.gif

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
hoosierman78
post May 27 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #56

BUSTie

QUOTE(freckleface7 @ May 27 2009, 12:51 AM) *
I have a ? please:

I just bought a Jeep (Patriot) & it gets great gas mileage (the same or better as my old sedan) & I'm contemplating the idea of getting a plate frame that says " Green is the new Black."
but don't want people to be like ' uh Yah- and yet she's still driving an SUV.'

I really want to continue to spread the green gospel & feel I made an excellent choice but don't want to look like a hypocrit.

Honestly, I don't think a 'Green is the new Black' plate frame would be hypocritical at all. You have a very fuel efficient vehicle that provides more versatility than a typical small/medium car. Sometimes there is a need for 4wd, and until they start making hybrid versions of them that are affordable, that's about as good as you can do. SUV doesn't have to be a bad word. 28 MPG HWY is a very respectable number.

Now, had you put that frame on a big hulk of a vehicle, that'd be a little different.

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post May 26 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #57

beachcomber

I have a ? please:

I just bought a Jeep (Patriot) & it gets great gas mileage (the same or better as my old sedan) & I'm contemplating the idea of getting a plate frame that says " Green is the new Black."
but don't want people to be like ' uh Yah- and yet she's still driving an SUV.'

I really want to continue to spread the green gospel & feel I made an excellent choice but don't want to look like a hypocrit.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post May 20 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #58

Hardcore BUSTie

Very late reply....

I can report a baking soda/vinegar success! It took two attempts (I didn't bother to heat the vinegar), but our shower is now draining smoothly and I have converted my housemates.

Thank you!

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Apr 1 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #59

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(rubberdollz @ Feb 27 2009, 04:04 PM) *
I think according to the website you use 1 cup of water. I put the vinegar in a glass measuring cup and pop it in the microwave for about a minute or so and I haven't had a problem with the vinegar evaporating. You are using so much of it and I'm not taking it to a point of it boiling, just hot.

Aha, thanks Rubberdollz. My computer got cooties shortly after I asked about this (computer repair dramarama) and I'd forgotten about this post!

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Mar 13 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #60

Hardcore BUSTie

Aha! That's perfect ketto, thank you very much.

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 18, 2014 - 11:20 AM