18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cuss and Discussion of Skin Care items
stargazer
post Sep 26 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #321

brown delicious

i love this thread. so helpful.

so, i've spent the last year shacked up with my dermie. downing all kinds of pills and doing laser treatments to help with my cystic acne. i had a flare up when i was 19/20 years old. i went on accutance for 3 months. the lowest dosage. things cleared. used all kinds of treatments off and on. skin looked great. then, when i turned 30, things got worse all of a sudden. terrible. the worst my skin has ever been. although, i do have to be thankful it is not as bad as my father's acne, but worse enough.

i'm nearing the end of my treatments and i've seen an improvement. but, i've been itching to keep things simple and more organic. my acne was caused by a combination of stress, hormones, and bacteria. part of me thinks some of my skin got more aggravated as a result of the medication i used on my face this past year. plus, i get overzealous in application. i tend to believe more is better, which was not good.

this thread helped inspire me to follow through on some of the suggestions of you Busties. so, what advice do you ladies have for a cleanser, moisturizer, and mask for me? i have a oily t-zone and normal cheeks. blackheads have always been a problem for me. i've noticed that as i've gotten older (i'm 31) that the texture of my skin cannot handle grainy exfoliaters/cleasners. my skin is very sensitive. i'm trying to find things with less chemicals, ingredients, and just overall healthier for my skin. plus, i've read that the less ingredients the better it is.

i'd appreciate any advice.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 14 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #322

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060905/sc_...tmythsclearedup

interesting.

+Quote Post
ferraro
post Sep 11 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #323

BUSTie

thanks chacha. i will totally pick your recommendations up next time i'm at the grocery store!

also, has anyone tried the amazing ZENO? according to the woman at walgreens you put it on your zit and zap it and it heals way faster and is less likely to leave a mark. anyone tried yet?

i went to a derm once who used something like this and it was effective but its $150... which is a lot of money. then again, if it works, i would totally be willing to shell out that much.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 27 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #324

Hardcore BUSTie

Sometimes it's not about what foods to avoid, but what foods to add!

I'm always amazed by what changes when we get the proper amount of fats in our diets--improved skin texture and appearance being one of the prime benefits. Adding really pure omega 3 fats and omega 6 fats (particularly if there is a change in acne appearances as a result of hormones) makes a huge difference for so many people.

You can use flax seed oil (pure, expeller pressed, kept in the freezer) and oil of evening primrose (keep this in the fridge) on a daily basis to really make a difference here. If you don't want to take two different oil capsules every day, you can get a good "combination" product like Efamol's Efalex complex, which has fish oil omega 3's and oil of evening primrose as your omega 6. Cod liver oil capsules are rich with omega 3's, lots of vitamin A, and lots of vitamin D--so good for skin health they are a necessity.

Drinking lots of water is a great idea too--but not too much, that only serves in depleting nutrients from the body if you do it long term. If you're really dehydrated (and you'd know, you'd feel migraines, have very dry, flakey skin) you need to replenish and retain water--so add a tiny amount of salt to the water you drink for a glass or two each day until you feel like you can go back to drinking six to eight 8 oz glasses of water per day.

Skin symptoms always become worse before becoming better (it's a sign that your body has stepped up efforts to work more effectively) so stick with your dietary decisions for a while before "giving up".

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
ferraro
post Aug 22 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #325

BUSTie

huh, that sucks that things seem to have gotten bad for no reason. maybe it will pass just as it came then. my fingers are crossed.

turbo, any other ideas on foods to avoid? i seem to do better when i have a list of foods NOT to eat rather than foods i feel i SHOULD eat, if that makes any sense. i work a crazy busy job and just generally suck at cooking so i eat a lot of processed foods which isnt good.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Aug 22 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #326

Hardcore BUSTie

Strange, angelle...perplexing indeed. Yeah, you will have to pee more for awhile. But if you consistently drink 80oz water for a few weeks, you'll reach full cellular hydration, and then you won't pee as much...it takes awhile of really consistent water intake, though.

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Aug 22 2006, 01:16 PM
Post #327

Hardcore BUSTie

No changes, which is why this has both baffled and annoyed me. Stupid breaking out skin. >:(

Though I didn't think I ate all that much dairy, I do have a fondness for cheese. So I'll try less cheese, more water. This means I'll be peeing all the damn time. I know it's supposed to get easier as the body gets used to it but I still fell like I'm always peeing when I start drinking more water.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Aug 22 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #328

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, ferraro's right - some acne is defintiely hormonally related, but diet is a major contributor. Your skin is part of your lymph system, and is charged with releasing toxins if your liver and pancreas can't handle it...so acne is the result. Certainly things you put on your skin can also cause breakouts, too. Dairy is one of the most difficult foods for your body to break down, regardless of whether you have a sensitivity to it, and if you combine a lot of dairy foods with stress, not drinking enough water, eating a lot of sugar...it can end up on your skin.

Angelle - have there been any changes in how you've been eating, or an increase in stress?

+Quote Post
ferraro
post Aug 22 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #329

BUSTie

i have horrible skin angelle so i feel your pain. stress triggers my biggest breakouts so i try to eat healthier/drink more water, which i know is kinda a catch-22 cause when im stressed i usually don't have the time to do those things...

there was recently a study that linked consumption of dairy products to breakouts. i cut out dairy pretty much from my diet (save for the rare cream in my coffee) and i think its working.

also, a more drastic dietary change is the perricone acne diet. ive done it but i just CANNOT stick to such a prescribed way of eating. i would rather have acne than get no joy from food. i get back on it once in a while though if my skin is going insane or i have some huge event.

((angelle))

+Quote Post
oceandessa
post Aug 22 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #330

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(angelle321 @ Aug 21 2006, 05:48 PM) *

I've been having some serious issues with my skin lately and I just don't understand why. I didn't change my routine and I've suddenly had some of the worst breakouts I think I ever remember having. I'm not liking it.

Hon, I feel for you. I am exactly the same way. I don't know what issues you're referring too, but my skin is very sensitive. I had the worst breakout in a long time last week, and I think it was a combination of allergy and hormones.

+Quote Post
opheliathemuse
post Aug 21 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #331

Hardcore BUSTie

angelle, can you go to the dermatologist? Tell us what your problem is. I'm a skin care fanatic. I might be able to help?

--------------------
There is a willow grows aslant a brook,
That shows his hoar leaves in the glassy stream.
There with fantastic garlands did she come...

+Quote Post
angelle321
post Aug 21 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #332

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been having some serious issues with my skin lately and I just don't understand why. I didn't change my routine and I've suddenly had some of the worst breakouts I think I ever remember having. I'm not liking it.

+Quote Post
zawadi
post Aug 18 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #333

thanks aliboo, i'll be keeping an eye out for the alpha hydrox oil-free stuff. i love AHAs.

+Quote Post
aliboo
post Aug 10 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #334

BUSTie

Zawandi... salicylic acid (BHAs) are known for exfoliating the inside of the pore so to speak, so they're pretty good about keeping skin clear (unless of course you are typically allergic to them, like me lol)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) or works like one right? AHAs exfoliate the top layer of skin, ect.

Send you want to improve skin texture I would stick with AHAs. You might just need to try a different brand. I used Walgreens store brand of their AHA cream for a long time and after a while it just seemed to stop working. Not sure why but it wasn't the greatest anyways. Alpha Hydrox is a good line of AHA products and they do have an oil free moisturizer.

Here is the brand website for some reference http://www.alphahydrox.com/
HTH!

That said...I'm still searching for that Aztec Clay stuff...can't find it anywhere. Last time I saw it I was in Wisconsin....far from there now lol Might have to order it online or something.

Pretty lax on skincare these days...but my skin is behaving so hey...guess I'm lucky right now. I know this is totally "Um duh stupid" but quitting smoking=best thing I ever did for my skin.

Been using Eucerin Intensive Repair lotion on my legs...makes them feel like velvet...well got brave and decided to try a little on my face. It only takes a teeny little dot of the stuff. It has AHAs in it and made my legs feel and look so great I only dreamed of what it could do for my face so I tried it. Best moisturizer ever, for my face and body. My pores are finally looking smaller and my skin healthier.

+Quote Post
taligator
post Aug 10 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #335

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm thrilled with Serious Skin Care .. it can be bought off their homepage or off of HSN (Canadian version of that too).

I have super sensitive skin and their sensitive line uses glucosamine for exfoliation and it's really great. I also discovered that washing my face daily isn't all that great for it so I use a pumpkin scrub that they have every other day in the morning and then just a washcloth and water on the off days and it seems to help a lot.

I haven't found anything yet that I don't like of theirs...

+Quote Post
zawadi
post Aug 10 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #336

Since there's been some discussion here of salicylic acid/glycolic acid and the like I'm hoping there will be suggestions for me here:

I've been using an oil-free facial moisturiser containing about 10% glycolic acid for some time (Neostrata, which is a Canadian brand so might not be familiar to people from the US here) and it's been working pretty well, but after a year of it I'm getting a bit disenchanted, or maybe it's just not working as well anymore. (Also, I think it went off during the heat wave a couple of weeks ago - it's OK now, but *reeked* when I put it on, so I switched to some generic stuff lying around. I'm speculating it has something to do with glycolic acid coming from sugar cane).

I use it primarly for exfoliation of certain areas of my face like under my chin that seem to get rough/dry and need more exfoliation than can be achieved with scrubs and such. So, does anyone know of a good exfoliating moisturiser? It has to be oil-free because I break out with anything heavy or containing oil. Would salicylic acid work too?

+Quote Post
loli
post Aug 3 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #337

BUSTie

QUOTE(turbojenn @ May 14 2006, 11:51 PM) *

polly - my favorite mask is the "Aztec Secret Healing Clay Mask" - I've found it at whole foods and wilad oats stores for about $7 a tub. But you use a teaspoon full of powder and mix it with apple cider vinegar into a medium thick paste, and slather it on your face - let it harden for about 30 minutes and then wash off. I call it the "hoover your face" mask because it does exactly that, and you can feel your face pulsating! It makes your face very red the first couple times you do it, because its really deep cleaning, but its really pretty gentle. I follow that with swabbing on organic rosehip seed oil for moisturizer - the oil helps reduce acne scars, and keeps your pores clean. <BR> <BR>I do the facial mask about twice a week.

I adore that mask so deeply. It is the best skin thing to ever happen to me.
YAY! My friend told me once a month is good, but I am totally addicted to how it makes me look so now I can go crazy with it once a week. It feels so damn weird, huh?

+Quote Post
curioushair
post Aug 3 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #338

Hardcore BUSTie

I just bought a bottle of Proactiv's salicylic acid body lotion, which, I hope, doubles as a decent facial lotion as well. I loved, loved, loved Neutrogena's Clear Pore, and of course it was discontinued, so this better be THE ONE. (The new Neutrogena stuff is loaded with alcohol and smells like chemical garbage.)

Anyway, the Proactive kiosk at the mall: the salesman (who had horrible acne, by the way) totally gives me the hard sell. I'm thirty-three-years-old, I think I know my own skin. I have a slight bit of rosacea, cannot use benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid (the difference between salicylic acid and glycolic acid, other than salicylic acid exfoliates inside the pore is that salicylic acid is closely related to asprin; ergo, it's good at reducing inflammation as well), and mechanical scrubs (the kind with grains of sand or peach pits). Spot wants to sell me the matching cleanser (um...the active ingredients are largely ineffective in a wash-off cleanser) and a scrub, which I repeatedly told him I cannot use. He also reminded me how important it is to "wash my face." NO SHIT SHERLOCK! When I told him about the rosacea, and how the fewer products I put on my face, the better, he carefully repeated the word syllable by syllable: "RO-SAY-SHA," as if he didn't quite follow me. Right.

The product itself is fairly light, and no weird reaction so far. It does have a light scent, which is a bit "retro" and not in a good way.

--------------------
Standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me.

+Quote Post
demoness
post May 18 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #339

BUSTie

Yep. Benzoyl peroxide most definitly works for me too. Retinol's also good. (Retin-A/vit-A). Yet the most efficient product is Obagi. Its pretty strong but its works almost all skin disorders, be it melasma, chloasma, hyperpigmentation, lesions, and pimples. I'd definitly recommend it to everyone who's looking to have good skin.

+Quote Post
skandelouslala
post May 18 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #340

BUSTie

I had super bad skin when I was younger. So bad that I would come home from school crying because I just felt freakish and ugly. And this wasn't when I was like 15 or 16 either..nooo mine had to start early when I was around 12 or so. I swear I got my first zit in like the 4th grade. How freaking unfair is that?!

Anyways I tried everything short of prescriptions. Probably partly good luck that when I was around 15 or so my skin started clearing up on it's own with little damage from the hell I had endured previously. These days I still have good and bad days with it, but for the most part it's good. I try to keep my routine simple.

Wash my face with Equate Gentle Skin Cleaser (Walmart knock off of Cetaphil, I like it better than real Cetaphil for some rason) maybe with a little bit of jojoba oil mixed in there.

If I do a scrub occassionaly white sugar mixed with cleanser.

Moisturize....St. Ives Stress Gel or if my skin is being super dry Nivea Creme.

I still use benzoyl peroxide as a treatment for pimples. I've been using it over 10 years now I think but it still works great for me.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 28, 2014 - 04:40 AM