The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

120 Pages V  « < 87 88 89 90 91 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crimes of Fashion part Deux...this time, it's personal.
ginger_kitty
post Aug 27 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #1761

Hardcore BUSTie

That top is really cute! I agree with everyone though, try pair your out fit with one really great necklace or earings something that will make your quirky side show. Maybe go with all black clothes but some bright sassy heels and necklace along the same color lines.

--------------------
-We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.

-What we think, we become.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 27 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #1762

i wish you lived nearby, i'd whip you up some funky home-couture that would cost you fabric, thread and a bottle of vino.
hit the thrift store and see what you can find, i come up with the best outfits for next to nothing. surprise yourself!

a double strand necklace with a dangly focal point would look faboo with that top, you could make something yourself for not too much money.

these are pretty:
http://cbdesigns.tripod.com/2373f0f40.jpg
http://www.sundancecatalog.com/mgen/catalo...50,250,0xf3f2e9

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post Aug 27 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #1763

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks ladies! I'm thinking about buying this top:
http://www.alight.com/10112456.html
and pairing it either with dark jeans or black pants (at this point, whichever I can get cheaper). Why are all the jeans lately shredded, faded, whiskered, or some other such nonsense? And why do dark-washed, straight-legged jeans that would be perfect cost more than I can afford?

sorry for the derailment. we now return you to your regularly scheduled crimes of fashion.

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 26 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #1764

dark blue and heels for sure. nice, understated but funky top, accessories but not too many. whatever it is make it the focal point, a great belt, fab necklace, awsome ring, earrings, but just ONE.

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 26 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #1765

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

wow, lowredmoon, I envy you!

I would x-post your query in The Empress's New Clothes too. I think your jeans, heels and nice top is the way to go- you want to look cool yet casual. Maybe a nice scarf/accessories to dress it up but still look funky? I would try to look creative in my dress (yet look like it didn't take too much effort) as it sounds as if you want to make an impression but not stand out too much.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
lowredmoon
post Aug 26 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #1766

Hardcore BUSTie

busties, here's your chance to prevent a CoF:

I've been invited to a party at the creative writing school of NYU. It's a chance for me to network with other writers, to meet people who may be involved with the administration at my top-choice grad school, and possibly meet Famous Poets from the faculty. In addition, it's a first meeting with a guy from the personals. He says it's after work, so it'll be a "casual" event. WHAT THE HELL DO I WEAR? I'm trying to figure out what "casual" means for NYU people. Can I get away with a very dark-washed denim, a nice top, and heels? Is a skirt required? My mother says to just wear my job interview outfit, but I'm hanging with artists and I'm on a potential date, and I'd like to look slightly more glamorous and less corporate, y'know? Please help me, I'm clueless.

--------------------
"Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."
--Margaret Atwood

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Aug 26 2006, 02:15 PM
Post #1767

Hardcore BUSTie

the only word I would ever consider (notice I said consider not wear) wearing across my ass is smart.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Aug 26 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #1768

Hardcore BUSTie

heehee lollalee! I knew those things would cause sweaty feet!!!!!

I hate words across the ass, as well! (I just realized I use too many exclaimation points)

--------------------

+Quote Post
lollaleeloo
post Aug 26 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #1769

This woman I work with wore her crocs to the office and could not stop talking about how comfortable they were. Then around 3:30, she said they were getting too hot and sat at her desk barefoot till quitting time. Those crocs were pure fug, but that doesn't even compare to the sight of her steaming pink feet with toes looking like boiled shrimp. I feel like I should file a workman's comp claim for the nightmares.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 24 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #1770

ugh, saw this chica today wearing what *might* have been an ok outfit 'sept for a couple of terrible mistakes.

low kitten-ish heeled slipper-sandals, tan, cute.
black mini, not too short, cotton fabric, good cut.
Great shoulder-bag, medium sized, black with big blossoms in white and that bright peachy-orange shade.
ok hair, looked naturally red, shoulder-length, sunglasses on top of her head.
white off the shoulder top, again ok fabric and a good cut but with a BLACK bra underneath with, of course, the straps showing since the top was off the shoulder. blech.
and the kicker? straight across the ass of her skirt is great, huge, ye old english font, in White letters, "SEXY". which it definately was not.
why the farg do people do that to themselves? like if it's on their ass and They can't see it, it doesn't really count or something?
i swear, i'm gonna make myself a J-Ho tracksuit and print "TACKY" across the butt and wear it grocery shopping just to make a point.

then again, i was out in olive khakis, camo t-shirt, and bright bubblegum pink holey shoes so blah blah blah. it was a dr appoint and shopping day avec kidlet so what the heck.

+Quote Post
ginger_kitty
post Aug 24 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #1771

Hardcore BUSTie

I just can't get on board w/ the crocs thing. They are to hideous for me to ever imagine slipping on. And they always make me think sweaty feet. Crocs, definate COF.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dusty
post Aug 23 2006, 02:50 PM
Post #1772

Hardcore BUSTie

Hah. That's funny about the crocs, Plynn! I am tempted by them, but afraid they are a CoF.

Maimy, I remember that look being described in a book on how to dress effectively as 'you run the risk of looking as if you're standing in a trench'. Ok, I might be addicted to books on dressing/makeup.

I saw an attractive, well-dressed woman of late middle age yesterday with a smart beige tote. It was a really nice size, shape, colour, sort of that what do you call it, like a beige and brown jacquard canvas with leather trim. But the pattern woven into it was Baby Pooh. I felt sympathetic because otherwise, it was such a great bag, I would have been tempted too.

+Quote Post
plynn
post Aug 23 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #1773

BUSTie

The frosted flakes logo? Wow, that CoF started out bad, but that pushed it to a whole new level.

+Quote Post
zizola
post Aug 22 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #1774

BUSTie

At work:
middle-aged lady with an obscene amount of eyeliner, a fanny pack, and mc hammer pants covered with the frosted flakes logo.

+Quote Post
maimy
post Aug 22 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #1775

Hardcore BUSTie

Crocs as a gateway CoF. Totally hilarious!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 22 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #1776

no, no, no. crocs will never lead to me going out in public in yoga pants and multi tank tops. sorry, it ain't happenin'. my ass doesn't need to be as comfortable as my feet do.
i'm about to leave the house in my ugly shoes. it's a long walk downtown with a whiney five year old (shitty summer bus schedule!!) and, yes, they do feel like a foot massage. ha ha ha ha ha!! what do i care eh? i just don't look down.

+Quote Post
plynn
post Aug 22 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #1777

BUSTie

I own a pair of crocs. I convinced myself the purchase was justifiable because they market themselves as 'after-sport footwear' and I was looking for something to wear after my half-marathon. They're okay in that regard - breathable and loose, but covering up the tremendous hideousness of my feet. Thing is, my husband will not allow me to wear them outside the house any more. At first I thought he was joking, but he's adamant: No. Crocs. in. Public.

I think he thinks they're a gateway drug to that terrifying combination of laziness and trendiness that afflicts the youth of today. Today I'm wandering the mall in crocs, tomorrow I'm wearing fake yoga pants and three tank tops.

+Quote Post
dayglowpink
post Aug 21 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #1778

Hardcore BUSTie

I had a dream that I was making out with a friend of mine while her boyfriend watched which was really cool, but then I realized that I was wearing pale blue high waisted stretch pants, like mom pants from the 80s or something. In the dream, I was horrified at this realization and kept thinking, I hope no one notices these pants. Ha!

+Quote Post
maimy
post Aug 21 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #1779

Hardcore BUSTie

I actually feel so bad sometimes when I see people who Just Really Don't Know, and today I saw a case of JRDK so perfectly oblivious it bent. my. achin'. eyeballs. She was shortish and fiftyish, and there's not a damned thing wrong with that. She was wearing a fairlylong dress, and there's nothing wrong with that - done correctly.

It was the long, long, long jacket that made her look like an Amazon woman cut off at the knees.

When you are 5'2 and thick across the shoulders ... when you are wearing a long dress that almost hides your feet from a distance ... and when you wear a jacket which is (a) black, over a green dress, thereby rendering you top-heavy in the extreme [with gratuitou shoulder pads, of course], and (cool.gif EASILY thirty-two inches in length, and entirely without any manner of tailoring at the waist, you effectively remove your legs from your body from a visual standpoints.

It's a disconcerting look, and - no - sadly, not at all flattering to anyone.

(A waddling gait is no help in this situation. Eep.)

+Quote Post
quietmadness
post Aug 21 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #1780

Hardcore BUSTie

Wombat--Don't we all look like that at home? Maudes, you should see what I wear all day at home: Huge old tie-dyed shirt with a heart on front (circa Fashion Bug--so it ain't even real tie-dye!) and loose-leg grey sweat pants--bare feet, unless I go outside. (I don't go outside looking like this, unless it's in the back yard)

Ms. GB--WTF? Why do people DO that stuff? Furry boots with summer clothes?!? Dumbass.

I wouldn't mind some crocs, for like the pool and gardening and shit.

+Quote Post

120 Pages V  « < 87 88 89 90 91 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 19, 2014 - 11:06 PM