Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
CarrieBradshaw
post Mar 18 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #1881

BUSTie

Tea Tree Oil Can Lead to Antibiotic Resistance - UU Research
15th February 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email this Page |

Repeated exposure to low doses of Tea Tree Oil – a common ingredient in many beauty products – can increase the chances of suffering from “superbug” infections, University of Ulster scientists have revealed.

They discovered that exposure to low doses of Tea Tree Oil make pathogens such as MRSA, E. coli and Salmonella more resistant to antibiotics, and capable of causing more serious infections.

Dr Ann McMahon and Professor David McDowell, members of the University’s Food Microbiology Research Group, said: “We have been growing pathogens such as MRSA, E-coli and Salmonella in low concentrations of tea tree oil. These concentrations are not sufficient to kill the bacteria, but can switch on their defense mechanisms. Unfortunately, these defence mechanisms have the added effect of making bacteria more resistant to antibiotics, and able to cause “harder to treat” infections.”

Tea Tree Oil is used commercially in many products including shampoos, body lotions and toiletries, but there is no legislation requiring manufacturers to state the concentration of tea tree oil in these products. This increases the risks that people will use low concentrations of tea tree oil, which fail to kill bacteria, but increase their resistance to antibiotics. So, if a person uses tea tree oil products on their skin repeatedly, any MRSA on their skin could develop increased resistance to the antibiotics which are used to control MRSA infections.

“The bottom line is that tea tree oil should not be used at low concentrations – less than 4% - to make sure that bacteria are killed, not just stressed. Otherwise we are just arming the bacteria against treatment by antibiotics.”

Publishing their findings in the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, the scientists said: “Although tea tree oil may be an effective antimicrobial agent when appropriately used at high (bactericidal) concentrations, its application at low (sub-lethal) concentrations may contribute to the development of antibiotic resistance in human pathogens”.

http://news.ulster.ac.uk/releases/2007/3000.html

Basically, just a warning that TTO can cause resistant bacteria if you use really lose doses.

I know a lot of you will reply and say " that's only for E.Coli, Salmonella, and MRSA" but those were just examples. I use TTO for other things, too. Just an interesting article....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jewelscando
post Mar 18 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #1882

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(CanCan @ Mar 18 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Apparently Tea Tree Oil has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. The bacteria associated with BV are more susceptible to TTO than our beneficial bacteria. So I guess this is why some women have controlled their BV using it.

[ These MIC data are similar to those obtained in previous studies which indicated that a variety of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria were susceptible to tea tree oil (2–4). The data also show that all lactobacilli tested were appreciably more resistant to tea tree oil than organisms known to be associated with BV, with at least a twofold difference in MIC90 results. Therefore, the clinical success reported by Blackwell (1) may be due, in part, to the susceptibility of BV-associated organisms to tea tree oil and the relative resistance of commensal lactobacilli.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...cgi?artid=89050 ]

Thanks Maggie for the information!! I'm still loving the TTO. It's worked wonders for me. No BV Symptoms what so ever.

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Mar 18 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #1883

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Mar 8 2008, 08:24 PM) *
Hi, Jewels...After using boric acid for a couple of weeks, back when I was having recurring bouts of BV & yeast infections, I then used tea tree oil suppositories that I bought at my local healthfood store (also available online) for maintenance purposes. I did this for about 2 months, using a piece of a suppository every other day.

The TTO was wonderful. I found a link via Google Scholar (I no longer have quick access to it) that tested TTO in vitro on strains of the good vaginal lactobacili. It showed that it did not kill off the good bacteria, unlike boric acid & most prescription meds. It does have effective antiviral, antifungal & antibacterial properties. (I read that it even will kill the MRSA antibiotic-resistant staph bacteria that has been much in the news in the recent past.)

Cheers!
Maggie

Apparently Tea Tree Oil has antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. The bacteria associated with BV are more susceptible to TTO than our beneficial bacteria. So I guess this is why some women have controlled their BV using it.

[ These MIC data are similar to those obtained in previous studies which indicated that a variety of anaerobic and aerobic bacteria were susceptible to tea tree oil (2–4). The data also show that all lactobacilli tested were appreciably more resistant to tea tree oil than organisms known to be associated with BV, with at least a twofold difference in MIC90 results. Therefore, the clinical success reported by Blackwell (1) may be due, in part, to the susceptibility of BV-associated organisms to tea tree oil and the relative resistance of commensal lactobacilli.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...cgi?artid=89050 ]

+Quote Post
sciongal
post Mar 18 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #1884

BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 17 2008, 10:39 PM) *
Hey random question, does anyone's symptoms improve during and after a night of drinking?

I feel like mine do, but maybe I'm crazy. Just killing time until my Fem D arrives (I'll be taking it with Flagyl, thanks Lori)

no, for me the symptoms get noticably worse after drinking...I have pretty much quit for that reason,

+Quote Post
CanCan
post Mar 18 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #1885

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 15 2008, 03:14 PM) *
Is Fem Dophilus by itself pointless? Should it always be paired with Flagyl or similar?

I take one FemDophilus everyday, and it worked for me. I don't have smell or discharge anymore. And I've never taken Flagyl. Ever.

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 18 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #1886

Hey random question, does anyone's symptoms improve during and after a night of drinking?

I feel like mine do, but maybe I'm crazy. Just killing time until my Fem D arrives (I'll be taking it with Flagyl, thanks Lori)

+Quote Post
stressed43
post Mar 17 2008, 01:53 AM
Post #1887

BUSTie

QUOTE(lori @ Mar 16 2008, 06:36 AM) *
Flagyl works. Just doesn't prevent recurrence. Thank you!!!

(Sorry to sound testy, but hey, it's been frustrating. So many people in here repeating the mantra, "Flagyl doesn't work" over and over. Gah.)

Anyway, I know that going to the doctor is annoying and expensive, but I do think it's important that a doctor is involved somewhere in your treatment, and that you're not 100% self-treating. BV has a nasty smell, yes, but it's not just about the smell! Untreated BV can have health consequences, so it's about health. And if you restore the health, the smell will go away too.

Nono! Thank you~ I didn't even KNOW about FemD until I stumbled upon this site! I also think I can use it once a week and it will still be effective (unlike certain drugs where if you don't take it for 2 weeks straight your body will learn to fight it off) because since the first day I have been symptom free and I've only taken maybe a total of 4. However, I totally agree with you about seeing my doctor, but now I can go for the regular Papsmear checkup instead of going EVERY 3 months and complaining about smell =)

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 16 2008, 04:19 AM
Post #1888

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 15 2008, 01:14 PM) *
Is Fem Dophilus by itself pointless? Should it always be paired with Flagyl or similar?

I wouldn't say it's pointless. It's supposed to replenish the good bacteria, so I think that alone can help some women.

However, Dr. Reid specified in his lecture that Fem-Dophilus is not supposed to be considered a cure. So I think that you need a prescription cure to kill off the bad bacteria first.

I've always been hesitant to tell anyone in this thread - you have to do this, and then this, etc. My goal has always been to just share what I know and let people make their own decisions; and also to clear up whatever misinformation I see.

So in that vein ... understand how Fem-D works and then make your own decision about whether you need flagyl or not.

QUOTE(stressed43 @ Mar 15 2008, 09:32 PM) *
... The thing about Flagyl ...is that it works, but if you have to take something later...it totally negates the fact u ever took it...(meaning waste of money and time)

Thank you for finally getting what I've been saying this thread many times. Flagyl WORKS. It just doesn't prevent a recurrence. Because so many people experience BV again after Flagyl (including me), people have wrongly written it off as - Flagyl doesn't work.

Flagyl works. Just doesn't prevent recurrence. Thank you!!!

(Sorry to sound testy, but hey, it's been frustrating. So many people in here repeating the mantra, "Flagyl doesn't work" over and over. Gah.)

I'm not saying anyone has to take Flagyl. Just make an informed choice.

Anyway, I know that going to the doctor is annoying and expensive, but I do think it's important that a doctor is involved somewhere in your treatment, and that you're not 100% self-treating. BV has a nasty smell, yes, but it's not just about the smell! Untreated BV can have health consequences, so it's about health. And if you restore the health, the smell will go away too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stressed43
post Mar 15 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #1889

BUSTie

QUOTE(lucecita @ Mar 15 2008, 04:14 PM) *

Fem D works for me without Flagyl. The thing about Flagyl ...is that it works, but if you have to take something later...it totally negates the fact u ever took it...(meaning waste of money and time) For example...I took Flagyl for a week or two and symptoms were completely gone. MONTHs later I started YASMIN and Bv symptoms instantly came back THAT DAY! SO what I like about FEM D (even tho im very new to it myself (about one week) is that I can take birth control or whatever else I need to take and I still smell normal. ANNND flagyl you need a prescription and I HATE going to my gyno and retelling her the same story and her tellin me the sAME thing..."i'll prescribe you flagyl again". At least with Fem D I can pop into WholeFoods and just grab it and go home. No appointments. No prescription. No hassles biggrin.gif

But unfortunately as aforementioned, Fem D doesn't work for everyone =( I hope hope hope it will keep working for me though!! And I really appreciate that we can all talk and help eachother out on here. Anyone else would just judge or joke about it.

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 15 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #1890

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 15 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #1891

BUSTie

I would like to thank everybody for their input, advice, experiences, etc. You have all bee soooooooooooooo helpful and I'm so happy I found this forum. I will keep you apprise of my situation. I feel with Fem D in my system now for one week I will start the Clindesse on Monday, refrain from sex for two weeks ,and continue the Fem D. Hopefully when all is under control I will take the TTO the day after sex. My poor boyfriend!!!! He will just have to take it or leave it!! ohmy.gif I can't wait to feel normal down there again. You all have been GREAT! Thanks a million!!! tongue.gif Anyone from NY?

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 15 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #1892

BUSTie

Just type Fem Dophilus (it's by Jarrow) in the search bar of Iherb and it will come up.

QUOTE(yme30 @ Mar 14 2008, 10:15 AM) *
Hi all got a question or two. When I go to iherb.com to look for the Fem-D what exactly am I looking for its like a jungle out there I need to know the exact brand so please help me someone.

Also I still have a two week supply of the oral metro from maybe two months ago, can I still use it, I think I will have much better success using it in combo with the Fem-D but is it still potent since its been so long just sitting in my cabinet? Thanks all!!!

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 15 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #1893

BUSTie

I always get a yeast from antibiotics. So if you are the same on day three take diflucan or monostat.

QUOTE(kristen @ Mar 12 2008, 01:44 PM) *
i just got back from the doctor and i have strep throat. he gave me penicillin, i'm just wondering if any of ya'll have gotten yeast infections from penicillin and will it kill any of those stinky bastards in my vag. what should be my plan of action while taking the penicillin.

+Quote Post
JJ27
post Mar 15 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #1894

BUSTie

Yes, I noticed that too and it's like sticky right? It should go away. It's pretty funny...well not really...that I've had this so long I forgot what a normal discharge looks like!!!! ohmy.gif

QUOTE(stressed43 @ Mar 12 2008, 01:02 PM) *
hey girls

I have been takin FemD for just a couple days and the smell is completely gone. But you know how if you have BV the inside of your vagina is like really wet or has that thin white/grey disharge that comes out? I still have that, but now it doesn't smell gross. Do you think that goes away in time too? or that it will stay? And what is that all about anyway?

+Quote Post
yme30
post Mar 14 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #1895

BUSTie

Hi all got a question or two. When I go to iherb.com to look for the Fem-D what exactly am I looking for its like a jungle out there I need to know the exact brand so please help me someone.

Also I still have a two week supply of the oral metro from maybe two months ago, can I still use it, I think I will have much better success using it in combo with the Fem-D but is it still potent since its been so long just sitting in my cabinet? Thanks all!!!

+Quote Post
lucecita
post Mar 13 2008, 08:00 PM
Post #1896

Whoa, I have bellybutton smell too. Is it related?! I HATE it. So gross.

+Quote Post
lori
post Mar 13 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #1897

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(kristen @ Mar 13 2008, 04:44 PM) *
somebody... anybody... the penicillin?

Hey Kristen.

I think penicillin can cause yeast infections.

I'm pretty sure penicillin does nothing for your BV.

Hope that helps. My suggestion is to take Fem-D along with the penicillin - it's supposed to help prevent yeast infections, UTI, as well as BV.

I have more detailed info. in my blog, but you can find Fem-D at Whole Foods, and also iherb.com. You can find it sold at many other places online, but those are the 2 places I know of that sells it refrigerated.

Good luck. Hope your throat feels better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kristen
post Mar 13 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #1898

BUSTie

somebody... anybody... the penicillin?

+Quote Post
chantelhugo
post Mar 13 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #1899

BUSTie

I am still not having success with anything other than the boric acid in which I have to continually use. I have also been on Yasmin for a month and half and I think it's just making things worse. The tea tree oil does not work for me unfortunately, but thats great that others have had success with it. Has anyone tried Pau D'arco tea? It's been known to fight off yeast and cases of BV, as it's a natural antibiotic. Before I buy it, anyone here have any luck with it? The Fem-D actually makes it worse for me! Grrr! I also tried the SYLK lubricant with no success. Does anyone think this could be a case of Candida Overgrowth? Has anyone tried a Candida cleanse? I also have a belly button odor, anyone have this too? Disgusting, I know....

+Quote Post
paige
post Mar 12 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #1900

BUSTie

QUOTE(fustrated @ Mar 12 2008, 04:10 PM) *
So why did you start the flagyl this week...as a preventive?

Becaues some of the ladies said thats what they did. I think my last day on the flagyl was monday night. But I was fine before the flagy when I was just taking fem-d. I have used just about everthing the ladies say they did I just happen to find one that work's for me.

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 93 94 95 96 97 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 30, 2014 - 03:46 AM