The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> She's Crafty...the Revenge
pepper
post Mar 24 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #61

SKIRT!!! If you're little, or you have a small girl around who needs a fun outfit. Sunhat comes to mind, something nifty could happen in that area. Purse, totally, grocery store bag for sure. Crazy stuffy, giant squid or octopus. Or a circular pillow/cushion might be interesting (gather the "points" together, cover with a circle of something), you could use it outdoors! Sunshade outside. Pin it over a light in the ceiling or make it into a lampshade/light cover. Rain poncho. Bicycle rain cover (hmm, how to do that?). Side table cloth, window treatment, windsock for the porch. Man, I need to go craft something now...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toasterbottom
post Mar 24 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #62

BUSTie

Sounds like that might make a nice tote bag for the grocery store...

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Mar 24 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #63

Hardcore BUSTie

Hellooooooo talented crafty ladies!

I have crafty aspirations and a basket of materials, and would love some suggestions on what to do with some umbrella fabric! I rescued the fabric when the umbrella spokes broke, as it was pretty and I thought it could be useful for something. I now have a circle of purple polka-dot watreproof fabric (nylon?), with a diameter a bit less than a metre.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Mar 23 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #64

cryostat bitch

My aunt used to do pysansky. It isn't as scary as it sounds, it's taking an egg, drawing on it with wax, dipping it into color, drawing with more wax, going from lighter to darker in color dips. There is a special sort of pen-type utensil that holds melted wax and stays warm for doing the drawing. When I was maybe 11 she helped me make my own egg. For some reason it is done with a raw egg, and it is kept from year to year. I still have mine. It is over 30 years old now. Eventually (if the cat doesn't get it), the center dries out. Anyway, I had a blast-of course at 11 I drew child-type drawings on mine. Heh. I was a horse fiend at the time and mine has a bunch of cartoon-ish horses on it.

Anyway, you keep adding layers of wax in between color dippings, once you are done you warm the egg over a candle and wipe the wax off to reveal all the brilliant colors. smile.gif

Anyway, I think you should try it, Koffeewitch and Pepper! And anybody else who is curious!

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Mar 23 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #65

I am not that brave, for the eggs I mean. But I would try the chalk recipe! That sounds like much fun. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Mar 23 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #66

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey you beautiful crafty ladies, I 'm so happy to be posting today! The computer has been on the fritz for ever and a day, so I've had no web access at the homefront.

Has anyone ever gotten brave enough to try their hand at pysansky (you know, the Ukrainian tradition of making gorgeous heirloom quality decorated eggs with wax)? The closest I have ever come to pysansky has been to download some pysansky coloring pages for the kids.

What I probably WILL do for Easter is make some side-walk chalk. There is a simple recipe I found months ago on craftzine. You can make beautiful, custom colors and even use glow-in-the-dark paints or (of course) glitter for fun special effects. If you save your toilet paper rolls, they make good molds for the chalk according to the article.

Pepper, I haven't visited your flickr in months, I can't wait to see what you've been up to. (BTW, I always giggle when I see you used one of my favorite books to model a book mark you made...Spiritual Midwifery. I'd recognize the cover art anywhere).

I've also been doing some Asian carp kits and Korean blue dragon kites with the kids...oh, and Pokeman crafts. Doesn't everybody need origami Pikachus about their house?

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Mar 22 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #67

All my swap partners have received their stuff now so I'm free to post pics on flickr finally. There are 3 pages of crazy crafts, day of the dead sock monkey, glass wonderland art dolls, etc etc. I've been crafting my little monkey fingers to the bone!

Any easter crafts happening with you guys? I can't think of anything I want to make but I'm sure I'll find some inspiration somewhere!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Mar 20 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #68

Yes, post pics! I have over a dozen in-process pics for that little thing but they are so unhelpful because the end result is not quite the thing and the piecing it together was way too fussy. I picked up a few little scraps of this and that this week to make more of them (I have a shopping bag full of fabric, ribbon, etc for this project so I better make a whole whack of these things once I figure them out!). I'll work on it now that my swap and present crush is over. I sent off 7 parcels this week and I'm bushed. And my craft room is a craftastrophe, ugh.

Here's a voodoo sock monkey that I am quite happy with. He went to a friend who did some shopping in the city for me, he tells me his wife and mom have tried to steal him already, ha!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlem...57623654289398/

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Mar 6 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #69

cryostat bitch

Yeah-I made two of those purses. The first one turned out-meh. I had used flannels. Second one is quite a bit better but I had to cheat a little. I used the satin for the inside lips and it kept sliding all over the place-finally I had to use some basting glue to hold everything together long enough to stitch it- then it worked. I should post a picture.

--------------------
To block Steve's latest incarnation, Click Here.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Mar 3 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #70

Whew! a dozen recycled tshirt bibs, 8 taggy flannel blankies, two more sock monkeys, cross stitch, altered altoid tin, 3 dozen photo note cards, needle book and pin cushion, Alice themed stuffies, shadow box, a necklace, and two more sock monkeys on the go. I have been BBBUUUSSSYYYY!! I tried to put a tutorial together for those pooty purses but dang, the instructions on that site SUCK so I'm having to figure out the pattern drafting and assembly for y'all. I promise I won't give up but my first effort is complicated and fussy. A bit more time and I'll have something simple and doable that you can add detail to if you feel like it. My mom saw my mock up though and told me they would sell like hotcakes at the michigan woman's song writing festival so maybe I'll have to put a bunch of them together and see if they really will. Not sure I can actually list that kind of item on Etsy or Ebay huh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
effinfantastic
post Feb 26 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #71

BUSTie

I'm not sure what I am going to do with them. I have a particularly heinous one that I kind of want to make into a bag of some sort. It is really thick though, so I'm not sure that's the best thing. I think one's arm is destined to become a case/cozy dealie for my calculator.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Feb 21 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #72

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm not crafting much right now, unfortunately. I'm on the lookout for a sweet vintage pillowcase to make into a sundress for my baby cousin. I have a ton of vintage rickrack, I just need something to put it on!

pepper- i love your stencils, particularly the kung fu one!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Feb 20 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #73

I'm going to assume that y'all are so busy crafting teh fabulous that you just haven't had time to post any of it!

Here's my latest freezer paper stencils, the mixing board pillow case is my favourite though the I <3 Kung Fu ain't too shabby either.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?t...2187#msg3922187

I'm signed up for a Wonderland and a Sock Monkey/critter swap and have started crafting, got a ginormous pile of supplies ready and dozens of ideas too. And am still working on that velvet vulva project and the sweater patchwork. And some bibs and blankies for friends with new babies. And some more sock creatures just because. And a miniature for a challenge. Etc. Heh.

What are you guys up to?

+Quote Post
pepper
post Feb 13 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #74

What are you going to do with the sweaters? I have got an enormous pile of them going right now, I mean it's just stupidly big. I bought them all on the pretence of covering the cushions on the glider rocking chair but I could seriously make a new cover for the couch with the amount of fabric I've got and that's after felting! I bought two more sweaters today too. What can I say, they were all on sale for a buck a piece. I have a big bolster pillow that I wanted to cover in sweater patchwork and have promised my friend to make coffee sleeves for take out cups for her cafe, plus there are some darn cute stuffies out there made of sweater patchwork that I'd like to try my hand at so... maybe I'll have used up this pile in the next few years or so. Ha ha ha. You know what I saw though? Terrific sweater slipper/boots made out of cheap flats, sweater sleeves and hot glue. I'm gonna give it a go. Maybe those are even sellable, that would be amazing!

I also bought every piece of clothing I could find in luxurious fabrics of red and pink and some ribbon and satin in shades of gold for the velvet vulva change purses. I plan on making a few in varying degrees of complicatedness to sell and give away. I promise to photo-document the process with a better pattern and instructions than the ones in the link I posted (those were vague, sorry about that).

I want to join an Alice in Wonderland swap on craftster too, I have a ton of applicable supplies and ideas falling out of my ears. I might have to have more than one partner at the rate I am planning to craft! Got an good ideas? I love that story so much and there is just a tremendous amount of art work and inspiration out there. I haven't swapped in ages either. I want to do it.

I was out with my junk store junkie mama to day, we hit three treasure shops, malwart and the dollarama. I came home with a gigantor bag of goodies, mostly for crafting. Now that my studio is managably organized I'm messing it up again. Sigh. Oh well. Creativity is a drug that I just can't do without.

+Quote Post
effinfantastic
post Feb 13 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #75

BUSTie

I just bought all of the wool sweaters at Salvation Army. Well, there were only 4 of them, and one is amazingly ugly, but they were on sale for 49c apiece. I'd felt them up, but I used all of my quarters on big loads of actual laundry. : /

+Quote Post
pepper
post Feb 10 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #76

A terrific crafter offered a free pattern for an amazing octopus on craftster the other day, here it is
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=281729.0
I'd say you need beginner to intermediate skills to do it. It turns out so great! I've made one so far and altered the pattern a bit to make another smaller one as the kids were fighting over it (I love when that happens! Well, not the actually fighting so much, just the loving the thing I made part).
I finished those jeans, the quilt, the fleece blanket for little's bed and some other things. I'm going to finish up some freezer paper t-shirt stencils in the next couple of days and a beatbox/mixer board pillow case for a friend's kids. My house is looking really messy right now but I'm busting stash so I just don't care, HA! There's still only half a living room out there though so back to work for me!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Feb 5 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #77

I feel pretty spoiled rotten to have an entire room to myself for crafting but honestly, I don't know how I would ever make anything without it! Maybe if I only did one or two crafts and not the 10 or so I get into regularly plus the things I just fool around with. Like I said, spoiled rotten. Even so though it's crowded and messy galore in here. I spent some time shifting boxes and bags out into the living room to make space to actually tidy up but now that it's clean there really isn't anywhere for that stuff to live. I'm doing a major, Major stash bust to get rid of it all. I figure from now on nothing comes into the house that I'm not going to use straight away. Yah, right! I'm gonna try though. Either that or we'll only have half a living room from now on.

I made some mittens and a hat out of an old sweater with a music motif for my mama and I washed and dried 3 loads of sweaters (some felted nicely, the rest are just clean) to make a patchwork cover for the cushions on the glider rocker. I hope to get that done over the next couple of days but tonight I'm going to finish the fleece blanket I had planned for little's xmas present. And patch his jeans. And fix a quilt I tore apart to make smaller. Right.

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Feb 5 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #78

Hardcore BUSTie

wow that was delicious looking fake foods!

I love the idea of making stuffys from children's drawings, pepper. It's a great way to make lasting memories, and encourage imagination!

I guess I just use my dining table, so I can spread out. I'm not a very organized person, so my yarns and fabric live in a pile in my bedroom and my clay/jewelry craft stuff is shoved into a huge old tacklebox of my Dad's.

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
pants
post Feb 5 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #79

Hardcore BUSTie

I craft on the sofa which means it ends up covered in yarn bits and patterns. I've got my stash in a big green trunk but it is totally disorganized. what i need is some sort of shelving system to divide everything up on, either based on color or yarn type. But it's hard to find the right sort of thing and so VERY easy to buy more beautiful yarn. Manos de Uruguay is especially dangerous.

--------------------
I am not a reliable narrator
This is a place where I talk about other stuff, and try to make it interesting.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Feb 2 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #80

Ok, there's some more here now http://www.flickr.com/photos/craftylittlemonkey/ we're on a roll!
That purple monkey has a bum crack too, heh heh.

Crin, have you seen this poly food? Makes me cry, it's so delicious looking... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=262466

I just finished a latchhook pillow front, just have to stitch it all up. Can't believe how long it took, wow. That's a craft for people who just like the doing. Personally, while I do enjoy the process, I'm more into results. Spending hours and hours on one small kitschy craft is exhausting! I could have made 4 sock monkeys instead dry.gif .

Ok, I'll get around to making a snatch purse and taking pics of the process. I've got the basement in order and the house I passably tidy(ish), just gotta tackle this studio before I start any more projects. Unfortunately little man keeps handing me these fantastic drawings of the stuffy he wants me to make next and the temptation to cut and sew instead or organizing is nearly overwhelming. I've run out of surface area in here though (including the floor) so I will just have to get on it.

Where do you craft? How do you make it work for you?

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 20, 2014 - 05:50 AM