The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mainstream?! My Stream!: The Popcorn Movie Thread, Pure popcorn movies for fun & entertainment!
candycane_girl
post Jul 22 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

See it while you can, epi! It was the last week for it where I am. I'm a bit surprised, I thought it would be in theatres longer.

I don't know if I mentioned this in here before but I was listening to an NPR interview with one of the creators of the movie (can't remember his name) and he said that the original story didn't have the little boy scout. After watching the movie I can't imagine what it would have been like without him. The whole movie is really sweet and touching. You might get all misty eyed but it's worth it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Jul 22 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Ohhhhh...I wanna see Up so bad...I love Pixar. I'll watch anything they make. They're really good at making movies that are kid-friendly without being juvenile. Wall-E is one of my all-time faves. Amazing animation, really sweet story.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jul 21 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I finally saw UP! It was so weird seeing something in 3D for the first time, especially without the red and blue glasses. I think that this is where movies are headed. Also, the theatre already had 3 huge posters for Alice in Wonderland! It's not coming out till next March but I'm excited.

Anyway, as for the movies I don't know if I was just feeling emotional or what but geez there were so many times that I wanted to cry! First off there is the adorable short Partly Cloudy beforehand and it was so sweet. And then of course there was the movie. It was really cute and really sweet. It's nice to see movies that are actually watchable for the whole family. I was once dragged to a kids movie where dogs and cats were like secretly at war with each other and they could talk and the whole thing was horrible.

I find that Pixar always puts out good movies. Really, I can't think of a single movie I've seen of theirs that wasn't enjoyable. Anyway, this one was really good. Sweet and smart and funny. I liked it.

+Quote Post
Divala
post Jul 21 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Public Enemies with another Bustie a couple weekends ago. We really liked it, but thought Christian Bale sucked big time. I was really impressed with Billy Crudup as J. Edgar Hoover. He was so good, I barely recognized it was him. I kind of wish I hadn't read Dillinger's Wikipedia page, which gave away the ending. But still, it was a pretty good movie. I'm going to see another movie this weekend with my boyfriend, the giant. I want to see The Hangover, if it's still showing, otherwise Bruno, but I doubt I can get him to go for that.

--------------------
"After all those hours of concentrated effort, I come home pure as the driven snow." -Gidget

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jul 21 2009, 04:04 AM
Post #25

new highs in personal lows daily!

i have not, but i LOVE scott pilgrim. it's one of those comeeks that i wish i created. it's so much fun!

thanks for the heads up, aural! wub.gif

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jul 20 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #26

Big Fat Bitch

I'm not sure where to put this, I may xpost, but has anybody been keeping track of Edgar Wright's blog to see the progress of the Scott Pilgrim movie besides me? So far it looks fun & I am excited!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
annabananahannah...
post Jul 8 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

i'm not too excited about any movies right now, but am definetely looking forward to the new sherlock holmes movie.

--------------------
what y'all lookin' at, biznotch?!

+Quote Post
anna k
post Jul 3 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

I saw Public Enemies tonight. It was decent, but I got tired of the constant gun battles in the movie. I knew what I was in for, but it got redundant to listen to endless tommy gun rounds being shot off. Also, I couldn't believe that Johnny Depp looks like his Donnie Brasco self in this movie, 14 years later. I watched an TV special about John Dillinger a few years ago, and thought that Depp was good, but obviously way better-looking than the real guy, who had more of a rough, ruddy exterior. Christian Bale wasn't in much of the movie, and Marion Cotillard was pretty to look at. A bunch of cameos by people like Lili Taylor, Billy Crudup, Giovanni Ribisi, and even Leelee Sobieski.

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 26 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #29

brown delicious

Jezebel article about the tired antics of Bruno.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 24 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Me and paperboy saw Drag Me To Hell last week and we both loved it. Classic Raimi. We laughed all the way through too. A guy behind us was really loud through the whole thing and making stupid comments and when him and his girlfriend left she said that was a terrible movie. We enjoyed it though. tongue.gif

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Jun 24 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(girltrouble @ Jun 23 2009, 06:33 PM) *
did you love the "hang in there...friday's comin'" poster, tommy?
why didn't shenomad like it?

Dunno. Neither one of us like horror much, but I think I'm more able to recognise Raimi isn't really horror, y'know? There's also Shenomad's natural buddha: she doesn't gush like I do. For her to say something was good, it has to be gooooooooooooooood.

The motivational poster slayed me, and everyone in the cinema wondered why. Kind of like when I saw A Fish Called Wanda in Amsterdam, and was the only one to guffaw at Archie's "Vietnam" joke.

Last night: relived some Crowe/Heckerling goodness in Fast Times. Now I am restraining myself from clicking on Alice links, as--ignorant until today of t6he movie plans--I just started listening to the unabridged audiobook. It's my first exposure to the story, other than the Matrix and Tom Petty's Don't Come Around Here No More.

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post
TheBeesKnees
post Jun 23 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #32

BUSTie

Oooh! And it's fun in 3D if they have it in your town biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TheBeesKnees
post Jun 23 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #33

BUSTie

In regards to Up's tears...mine were mostly happy, maybe a little wistful. But it's just so darn sweet. Just darling.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Jun 23 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

I just saw those Alic pics yesterday on ONTD. I love Tim Burton. I haven't loved all of his movies but his imagination is just so incredible. Tim Burton vision + Lewis Carroll's story telling= incredible! I can't wait.

I just wanted to pipe in about Sacha Baron Cohen and his interviews. I don't know if you all remember the guys he met in the movie Borat who went on and on about how women were bitches and sluts that need to be fucked, etc, etc. Then after the movie came out the guys wanted to sue him for making them look bad. To me that's what SBC is all about: exposing the incredibly stupid things that people will do and say.

If anyone is interested, here is an old Bruno clip that I always found amusing. Basically he's at Daytona beach getting a bunch of drunk guys on a wrestling team to pose and show off their muscles. They even show off their ass cheeks. Then as soon as he says, "This is for Austria Gay TV" they freak out on him. It's just so ridiculous the way people act and I enjoyed the fact that SBC is willing to expose it.

As a complete side note, RV, I don't know if Colbert tells his guests how his show works but I was listening to an NPR interview with Ed Helms and they asked him about the Daily Show interviews and he said that usually they didn't tell the interviewee anything about how the show worked. Sometimes the people would catch on, other times they wouldn't.

I think I'm going to see Up next week. Everyone has been saying it's incredible and it looks really good so I can't wait.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jun 23 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

My BF and me were talking about Bruno and he was like, how can they be making a movie that ridicules camp for being camp? I don't know if that's what the movie is going to try to do or not, but his whole thing was, campy gay men know what they're doing they know what they look like so how does anyone really top that? These guys practically invented camp and irony and pushing it, and then embodied it. Now, does that make them untouchable in that regard?

I'm not planning to see Up Roseviolet, but how can they be anything but happy tears with those cute doughy puppet faces tongue.gif

Crinoline, I too am rubbing my paws together for Alice (so far away though!) and Harry Potter.

I'm also excited about the Bruce Willis movie Surrogates.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Jun 23 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

rosev- don't hesitate! UP is fantastic! I cried happy AND sad tears, but it really was a sweet and beautiful movie overall. Underneath the silly plot there is some surprisingly mature and touching subject matter which is completely worth the tears. I would recommend bringing a hanky, but you'll be laughing as well!

totally psyched for Harry Potter (coming up!!!) and Alice!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
roseviolet
post Jun 23 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #37

Pacifism kicks ass!

That's it. I need to finally go out & see Up. I've been wanting to see it since it came out, but Sheff has been all meh about it and all of our friends have already seen it, so I guess I should just go alone. Normally that's not an issue for me, but I'm not really in the mood to cry alone in a movie theater. So tell me honestly, people: happy tears or sad tears?

I am sooooooo damn excited about Alice In Wonderland!

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 23 2009, 04:33 AM
Post #38

new highs in personal lows daily!

did you love the "hang in there...friday's comin'" poster, tommy?
why didn't shenomad like it?

*munch*

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 23 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #39

Big Fat Bitch

First look at Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
tommynomad
post Jun 23 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

Shenomad and I laughed all through Drag Me to Hell ($2.50 on Sunday morning!), but after it was over she said she hadn't liked it.

I'm just glad Sam's back.

--------------------
"If I help women to have babies when they can give them love and affection, [those babies] will not grow up to be rapists or murderers.
They will not build concentration camps."
--Dr. Henry Morgentaler

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 08:17 AM