Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chracka-thoom-the Comic Books Thread
sukouyant
post Jun 27 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

they were having a big sale on the edition i bought. i might go back and buy copy for a friend. i wasn't even going to pick it up, but after leafing through it, this story about a queer threesome caught my eye and it wasn't particularly gratuitous, sensational or lame or detached, you know the way stories get when they include 'edgy' material. just matter of fact and philosophical. i knew then 'i must have it!'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 27 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #22

new highs in personal lows daily!

i posted something about how loathesome in the old comik thread... i love ted naifeh, and loathesome is great! i love that book!

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jun 26 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

NocturnalCatie you're on the money- Books of Magic - which I ended up reading all out of order.

I got the latest Fables comp. today. It's in its comic bag now waiting to be devoured.

EDIT: I also picked up how loathsome by ted naifeh and tristan crane. It's about boys who are girls and girls who are lesbians and fluidity, and drugs, fairytales, ghost stories and dreams. I'm liking it a lot.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 26 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #24

oh my god yessss... jamie's art is so freaking beautiful... i swear, the longest crush i have ever had is on maggie, and i had a girl that i fell in love with because she had that same body type (you know when she was heavier) and looked like her. luckily she was a badass! jamie did me a serious solid...hee hee. i just got hernandez satyricon from the library-- it's the one where the brothers write and draw the other brother's stories. so jamie does the heartbreak soup charecters, and beto does maggie, hopey, race and penny. luba has never looked so luminous as when jamie draws her... sigh.

and i love ashley wood's books.

i have also started getting robot-- which is a japanese import anthology of manga stories... beautiful....

i so want to get back into the superhero stuff but it's too expensive and there are so many spin offs n shit, like the avengers or xmen... wtf!? i don't even know where i'd start.

and adrian tomine's optic nerve is awesome. i read his stuff back when it was a zine, and he was a dan clowes knock off, but he grew into so much more.....

as for the pompus ass at the comic store, he's probably socially inept. i bet if you talk to him he breaks out in a sweat...lol

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
NocturnalCatie
post Jun 25 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #25

BUSTie

Yeah, so I figured I'd post on here since I'm still new, and I giant comic nerd. tongue.gif
Right now I'm following WORMWOOD. I love all things Warren Ellis.
Just recently read the last Strangers in Paradise.
Can't get enough of Fables.
Obsessively hunt down anything by "los bros hernandez" whether done together or seperately.
I adore Ashley Wood and his art.
Ummm....geez. Seems like I have too many to list.
As a kid I was really into superhero stuff, but as time went on I couldn't find a really awesome ass-kicking female character that stood alone. Most were either spin-offs of male characters, or they were constantly engrossed in love triangles.
I'm stuck in hawaii, and I used to get all my cmoics from the shop my brother managed. Unfortunately, it was forced to close down so they could tear up the building and turn it into a nordstroms. dry.gif
Now I go to a shop where they guy is overly pompous, and doesn't even speak to me. He'll only talk to my boyfriend. i guess my cooties might rub off on him or something. I swear he's about 200lbs shy of being the comic guy from The Simpsons.
Oh! Sukouyant...I think it was Tim Hunter? Books of Magic, right?

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Jun 22 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

Love list: Fables and most of Bill Willingham's stories

Alias from Marvel/Max about a depressive ex-superheroine turned private investigator. It was wrapped up and discontinued because of cuss words and 'adult themes'. I think the issue was that the story took place in the Marvel world with other marvel characters, whose images might be tarnished by association, or who were attracting very young readers, or something.

The Bondage Fairies so cute, so perverse.

Sandman and that young magician series (what was his name again?)

Bitchy Bitch who is always on the first day of her period. I love her. (Geiger, I just checked out dynamite damsels. It turns out it's by the same creator, Roberta Gregory)

Optic Nerve for a long time.

Disappointments: I wanted to like them, but meh.

Promethea by Alan Moore.
Thessaly, Witch for Hire by Bill Willingham

Oh and agreed with Girltrouble and with Lesbajew - FunHome is an excellent graphic novel...it made me laugh, it made me cry.

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post Jun 20 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #27

BUSTie

girltrouble-My brother is tearing through the Y volumes we have. He's on eight, and he started at the end of May! I've read the first one. Wet Moon sounds interesting, I'll ask the comic book guy chris about it! Glad you enjoyed fun home!

the_geiger- I am a big X-men fan, but I haven't read any for a good long while. I've had a big affection for Rouge since I can remember.
Girls is the title of the comic itself. It takes place in a town where the people are trapped inside and has been over run by a bunch of Egg laying girls that all look the same who kill the woman and seduce the men, and in turn lay more eggs. Did I mention the sperm monster that is growing in the field? It recently ended.

grrrl-Jhonen Vasquez is amazing. I've read Johnny and I loved Invader Zim! I happen to remember when it first came on. I say the first episode when it first aired! I loved Gaz(Dib's sister, not a huge character) and GIR! Sandman was one of my first comics beyond manga.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 16 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #28

if you like dykes TWOF, grrrl, then check out her graphic novel, fun house that lesbajew was talking about. i just finished it and loved it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
grrrlyouwant
post Jun 16 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

it's all about jhonen vasquez. i love johnny the homicidal maniac! and i have got the coolest kid ever. one time when we were waitin for our food at a diner, i pulled out my laptop and queued up some inavader zim for c-monkey, and she was like "i remember this show mommy!" and i was "dude, this show went off the air before you were born honey, and this is the first time you've seen it." and then she said "oh yeah, but i read the books. remember mommy, the crazy guy johnny?" she recognized vasquez's style, i think that is just so fucking awesome. also a big fan of neil gaiman's sandman, and alison bechdel's dykes to watch out for. and that's it i think. i'm not a huge comic geek.

--------------------
and with her step, i move my feet and with her hand, i feel my skin and with her need, i find i'm saved

+Quote Post
the_geiger
post Jun 15 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Favorite comics:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist

Honour Among Punks

V for Vendetta

Y: The Last Man

CSI: Dying In the Gutters

And I love anything X-Men and the Heroes online comics.

OOhh! and this one time when I was digging through the longboxes at the local comic book store I found a feminist comic book from the 1970s called 'Dynamite Damsels'. One of the best finds.

And Action Girl is good too.

Also Lesbajew, what is this "Girls" comic of which you speak? I might be familiar with it, but then again I might be thinking of something else.

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Jun 7 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #31

since our old comeek thread seems to have vanished with the titanic, i'll bite!

i just started fun house, and i love it already.

i tend to by graphic novels or graphic collections of comic books since they are cheaper. more often than not i buy them for art work over story, i am obsessed with european clearlinists, (the clearline cartoon style most familiar to most people would be that of tintin) my favorite of which are serge clerk, jooste swarte, yves chaland, and a few others.

i love fables, y, the authority, invincible, hellboy/brpd, powers, some zombie comic who's name escapes me, bone occasionally, (although i can't resist jeff smith's art work and am tempted to buy his shazam miniseries)

i also read some manga, i adore basilisk, and naruto-- (both because i accidentally watched the cartoons), akira, lady snowblood, and there is something i'm forgetting.

my favorite graphic novels are "how loathesome" and "wet moon" because they both feature charecters not normally seen in comics; queers, transexuals, the pierced/tattooed + handycapped but they are admired for being trans, handycapped, pierced etc. which is very refreshing. both are gothicy-- but without the silly morbidity for morbidity's sake of say, emily the strange or lenore (although lenore is fun). and i love the art work in both. h.l. is all sharp angles san francisco underground gothic drug scenester black and white hipness, while wet moon is a round, moody, dark, jr highschool love and rockets.

i will buy and read anything by ted naifeh. i love his art, and like i said he doesn't make one-dimentional goth stories, so gloom cookie and courtney crumrin series get the nod from me too.

i also got the dare detectives, which is kids reading, but i love the art. and i love zines too the newest is by a kiwi whose art work is very clearlinist, but his name escapes me... the charecter is jessica from the school yard. she's awesome, and definitely a bully. an old blog with pix is here :jessica from the school yard linky

i do read the tights and capes set (i.e. superhero books) the main draw there is a certain writer, who i knew in sf, and the asshole (jk) who talked me into moving to seattle. we were roomates for a while. i am glad to see that he is doing really well. comic writing was all he ever wanted to do, and he put his time in. so he deserves it. we're not really in contact anymore, but i love his taste in what books he'll write for, and i love what he's done with the charecters, while being faithful to them and their history, and his plots are really well crafted.

right now he's writing daredevil, iron fist, sleeper, and something else, but i only buy the first two since i can wait for the graphic novel of sleeper.

as for the reaction in the comicstore, it's good, but i have been going to one of the companies stores since way back when i was a boy. i think some of them remember that (i was in with the local indy comics crowd of writer illustrators, although i don't travel in those circles anymore). but they are all pretty cool with me, and really, no one makes much of a deal.

i think i got everything...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lesbajew
post Jun 7 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #32

BUSTie

I'm pretty sure we don't have a ton of nerdy busties, but I figured I might as well try!

First of all, please type spoilers in white, as not all of us get our shipments on Wednesday.

So, to start up the thread, here are some questions-

What are you reading right now, and what are your thoughts about them?? I just finished Fun Home, which made me cry and I'm currently buying Fables(I'm quite dissapointed at Snow becoming a house wife) and Runaways(Most of the time I hate it when characters are brought back to life, but Gert has earned a Get out of death free card in my eyes).

Most feminist/sexist comic out right now? Ever? I have no idea when it comes to this one, as I am fairly new to comics. Girls would have to up there on most sexist,but ten times more disturbing than the comic were the letters. I'll post quotes sometime.

Which do you read more mainstream or indie?

Where do you get your comics, and how do people react to your presence in the store? When my brother, mother, and myself show up, it's usually just the three of us and the same clerk, who was never even the least bit shocked by my mother and I's presence. I've gotten quite a few weird stares from others though, and mother more, as she doesn't fit the stereotypes in the least(she's a fifty four year old working mother)

And finally, you're favorite everything. Author, artist, comic, character, what ever! I'd have to say I love Brain K Vaughn's work as a writer, artist I'm not so sure. Runaways is probably my favorite comic.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 19, 2014 - 06:56 AM