Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

224 Pages V  « < 220 221 222 223 224 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
anoushh
post Jun 13 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #4421

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks, chani. I did have it turn up in a urine test back in England when I went to the hospital with some very scary symptoms that turned out to be the result of a UTI. I havn't seen the midwife here yet--I have an appointment for the 26th (which seems ages away at this point, but was the earliest they had for an initial appt.)
I really wish it was sooner as I'm having what I imagine are fairly typical but still not very pleasant fears about the fact that I'm now 20 weeks and still not sure if I've felt it move. I'd be much happier if someone listened to the heartbeat and told me everything was fine.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chani
post Jun 13 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #4422

Hardcore BUSTie

anoushh: If you need the IV antibiotics, they can probably disconnect it after the antibiotic dose has gone through so that you can be unencumbered. If you really want to avoid it, you could ask your midwife not to swab you but to treat you based on risk factors. That way you many not need an IV if your labour is uncomplicated. Read up on Group B Strep sepsis in the neonate so that you can make an informed decision. Good luck!

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jun 13 2006, 02:27 PM
Post #4423

Hardcore BUSTie

I really don't want to be routinely hooked up to an IV and I really don't want to give birth in the hospital unless something a hell of a lot more serious is going on.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Jun 13 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #4424

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

I was Strep B+ with minipixie. The main difference it made in delivery is they gave me a penecillian IV. I think Minipixie got a shot right after birth, and we had to stay in the hospital an extra day for monitoring.
I didn't find otu I had it until about a week before I had here. I had terrible bladder infection the whole preganacy and after researching I figured out eith the bladder infections caused the Strep B, or Strep B caused the infections, but there was a connection.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Jun 13 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #4425

Hardcore BUSTie

Anyone have any experience of strep B in pregnancy?

I'm terrified that the birth center will find some reason to tell me I can't give birth there and I'll be told I have to go to the hospital, which I really, really don't want to do.

+Quote Post
jasmine77
post May 31 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #4426

BUSTie

In the 'be careful what you wish for' category: The morning after my last post, I woke up to terrible nausea and managed to get to work only to vomit profusely in the bathroom the moment I got there. I've had some mild morning sickness since. I guess I feel a bit more pregnant now :-)

On a brighter, less disgusting note: Went to the doctor today and heard the little smidge's heartbeat on Doppler. yay!

+Quote Post
jungle_pam
post May 29 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #4427

BUSTie

(de-lurking) All I can say is i WISH my boobs grew w/this pg! I went from a 34b to a 34D/E w#1 and i loved having a bodacious bosom! With #2 my bb's are still a 34B and I popped out pretty much at 8 weeks and now at 3 months I look 5-6 months pg!!! so I basically look like a big onion... Or a bowling pin... Hopefully they will fill out when my milk comes in post-birth (yes- they get even bigger - brace yourselves now and invest in supportive nursing bras!! Try the Bravado brand)
Hang in there and try to enjoy every moment. I totally obsessed over Every Little Thing w/#1 but I'm glad I did since now I don't have the time!! So first time preggers: sit on the couch, be lazy, take lots of naps and just enjoy the silence. You will be glad you did once yer kid arrives a-hollerin'!! ;)

+Quote Post
anoushh
post May 25 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #4428

Hardcore BUSTie

If it's your first you may well not feel any movement till 18-20 weeks, so not to worry. Fatigue is very characteristic of that stage of pregnancy.

DO NOT wish you had symptoms at this stage. (I know you didn't, I'm just saying.) At 9 weeks when I read that I could expect to start feeling better w/ the nausea by 12 weeks I nearly burst into tears because I had no idea how I'd manage feeling THAT BAD for another 3 weeks at least. Except what could I do about it?

Anyway, you've said one of the major signs of being pregnant at that stage already--increase in breast size. As for when you start to show, it really depends on the person and the body shape but by the second trimester you will be showing now matter what, I'd say.

It's not as simple as having physical signs to when it feels "real" anyway. I've felt what I think are probably fetal movements, my breasts are scary huge, I definitely have a belly, and you know what? Most of the time it doesn't feel real at all.

My words of encouragement are thank the universe that you are not sick. I was sick for 6 weeks straight, so much so that I could barely eat. I'm still sort of nauseated a good part of the time, though it's a lot better.

It's amazing how looooooooonnnnngggg 9 months turns out to be, though. I'm not even half-way there yet.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 25 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #4429

Jasmine...I didn't really show until my second trimester. I think you start feeling movements around 16 weeks. I felt minipixie at 14, but I was on my stomach at a chiropractors office and it was just a funny flutter.

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
jasmine77
post May 25 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #4430

BUSTie

anoushh- I feel your pain! I'm currently in a 36 E and I'm only at 9 1/2 weeks!! I'm very frightened.

Speaking of being 9 1/2 weeks, I'm struggling a little bit here because I don't feel pregnant. I'm not really having much nausea, I'm not showing at all and I just feel tired and lazy. We've gotten an US which showed the heartbeat so I know I am knocked-up, but it just doesn't quite seem real I guess. I don't want to complain cuz, goddess knows, I don't want to feel pukey but I guess I'm feeling a little bit impatient.

When does the belly start showing? when did you start feeling movements? Any advice or words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for letting me rant, ladies!!

+Quote Post
anoushh
post May 24 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #4431

Hardcore BUSTie

I've enjoyed Sheila Kitzinger's books on birth as well. She's very well known in the UK and has a background as an anthropologist as well as a midwife. Very important in the movement to natural and home births. Very compelling reading.

My breasts keep suddenly changing. FIrst they went from 40C to 40 DD. I went and got new bras and suddenly some of the new bras are too small. DD is too small. I'm trying not to panic. Not to mention I feel like we are having to spend money at a scary rate these days.

+Quote Post
formerlycl
post May 13 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #4432

BUSTie

I just read, "Spiritual Midwifery," and really enjoyed it.I'm in my last two weeks and so much more relaxed than I was at the start.It's amzing what one can do in the last month.I'm so much less tired.Funny the bursts of energy one can get.I packed up most of my house in 14 hours.

It's so much more comfortable at the end.Any good birth stories? I want to tell mine!!!!!!!not that soon any other busties nearing their due date?

The only complaint I have is the crazy aching legs, calcium deficiency I suppose.I'm really enjoying, "hip mama" these days.

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 9 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #4433

Don't get me wrong, I will take baby whenever it decides to happen. I wouldn't even mind having another girl because Mr. P suggested a name that I adore that is close to the name I wanted to name minipixie. But since fertility has never been an issue in either family, I have a feeling it will happen pretty quick once we start. I think the only reason it took my ex and I so long was that he was working out of town prety regularly. I got knocked up the very first time I went out on the road with him.
I bought a BBT thermomenter last night and tok my temp this morning. I am almost exactly mid cycle rigth now. I figured if I start now then by the time my next cycle starts it will be more of a habit and more beneficial. I am also going to buy some prenatal vitamins this weekend and start that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
anoushh
post May 9 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #4434

Hardcore BUSTie

BH--I hadn't thought of that. I have a very good relationship with my doctor back home, so that should help things. I'm a bit worried about the fact that about the time we leave to go back to the states is when I should have another (final, assuming no problems) ultrasound scan--at least according to protocols here.

THat's another thing--I'm all familiar now with how things are done in the states, but not what to expect when I get pack. I think you are right though--I'll make an appointment with my GP back home pretty quickly and see what she says.

"Taking Charge" is brilliant. I wish I'd had it years ago. Every woman should read it.

Kluski, with luck you won't get sick, though I got sick around 6 something weeks and stayed that way pretty solidly until 12. Still don't feel fantastic, but its SO, SO much better.
If you do get sick, remind yourself it means everything is normal and it will eventually go away. That's what helped me, anyway. And if you don't get sick, consider yourself lucky!!

Pixie, I know you know this, but your body may well have a mind of it's own, so to speak, about getting pregnant. I was determined not to have my last trimester in August as I hate summer. Guess who's due October 31st?

+Quote Post
kluski
post May 8 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #4435

thanks for the tips on resources!

I second the use of the Toni Weschler book, although for the time that I was using it, I was focused on trying NOT to get knocked up (obviously, I blithely overlooked certain aspects of it in the past 8 weeks that, had I really been focused on not getting pregnant, would have me posting on a different board right now...) It's a fabulous resource for ALL women, whether they are trying to get pregnant or NOT to get pregnant. As falljackets said, the best bit is that it teaches you how to really pay attention to your body, which will then help you when you are dealing with a doctor or midwife with whom you might be trying to work in order to get pregnant. Rather than going in and having them try to figure out if you are ovulating, you can go in with the completed charts for 4 months and say, "look, I think I ovulated here, but then not for three months, what can we do?"

I charted using "Taking Charge" for about 6 - 8 months about 5 or 6 years ago. I stopped charting simply because, by that time, I had figured out how to listen to everything else that my body was telling me that would then tell me that I was about to ovulate or was ovulating. Everyone is different, so you may not find that your body is as obvious as mine is, but I can't recommend the book enough.

Right now, I am (blissfully) suffering practically no symptoms other than crying into my food or at the book store or buying organic chicken... I keep thinking that I should be re-testing myself! Oh, I also seem to have a cleavage for the first time in my life...

My biggest concern right now is that I work in a very small office (5 people) and I really don't want to tell them until I am at least 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I do seem to have to go the bathroom every 10 minutes (sometimes by the time I get back to my desk, I have to turn around and go right back!), and I have been hit by an early afternoon desire to crawl under my desk and sleep deep deep sleep. I figure that I will have to tell one of my bosses sooner rather than later simply so that I can have her cover for me. I just don't want the whole office to be part of this as well at the moment!

Pixie - I had originally had the same plan with Mr. Kluski, as he is also a teacher. The nice part now though is that with a January birth(the due date is somewhere between Dec. 30 - Jan. 3. Sure would help the taxes if the bean were a little on the ealry side, but highly unlikely with my family's track record), I have fantasies of holing up in the house for the winter starting right before the holidays and then "emerging" in the spring in time to hand the bean off to Dad for his 3 months...

good luck to all, pregnant or trying to be!

Kluski

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post May 8 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #4436

Nice Kitty

pixie- i agree with FJ- we tried for 6 months with moxette, and low and behold, the first month we really charted, I got knocked up..by knowing when there was an eggie...no eggie, no bebe. If you PM me your address, I can send you my copy of "Taking Charge".

+Quote Post
falljackets
post May 8 2006, 03:16 PM
Post #4437

crush groovin'

pixie, i've been at it for over a year now and the best thing i've found is just to go buy "taking charge of your fertility" by toni weschler.

don't let the fact that i've been unsuccessful for eleven months scare you: by learning how to chart, i learned that i hadn't ovulated but twice since my miscarriage, making it a tad difficult to get knocked up. :-)

seriously, it's very easy to pick up charting. all you really need is a good thermometer and the book. you could also check out a site called fertility friend dot com. it's got a lot of info (pretty much taken right out of the TCOYF book) and even has software that lets you track your charts. i also use babyfit sometimes, but the boards will make you crazy.

good luck!

oh, and yeah. not pregnant. i really thought i was because i had a triphasic chart. but it was a fluke. i guess them's the brakes. another round of clomid, please. yay.

--------------------
to love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides - Viscott

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post May 8 2006, 01:52 PM
Post #4438

Ok all you TTCers in here...Mr. Pixie and I are going to start trying in a few months. With my first, my ex and I basically stopped birth control for 9 months and then finally got pg when we DTD every night for a month straight. We really want a little boy and from what i read it is best to time things pretty precisely, especially since we are hoping to make this our only child together. I know almost NOTHING about charting and BBT and ways of upping the odds for a boy. Anyone got any good ideas for me? I really want to get pg pretty quickly after we start trying because Mr. P is a teacher and is we could have a summer baby(may-july) he would be off work and could stay home with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bklynhermit
post May 8 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #4439

Hardcore BUSTie

my suggestion would be to try to find out which doctors use the Oregon Health Plan and start seeing one of those right off the bat. Maybe knowing your red tape is in the works, and knowing what goes into proper prenatal care, they'll be willing to meet you halfway? A good friend here in new york discovered she was pregnant at something like 12 weeks and with no insurance whatsoever. and she was fine, she got all the coverage she needed (through similar plans to yours) in time and is now the happy mom of a happy and healthy 18 month old little girl. And this was someone who spent the first month she knew she was pregnant (into her 2nd trimester, basically) either totally in denial or convinced that if she did enough coke she would 'lose' the baby...

+Quote Post
anoushh
post May 8 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #4440

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks for taking the time to reassure me.

I won't have any health insurance, but I'm from Oregon (been here in the UK 3.5 years) so I don't think I'll have any trouble getting the Oregon Health Plan.

I'm just worried about what happens in the meantime before it gets sorted, etc, etc, etc.

And it's just fucking scary to leave the NHS to go back to that disgrace of a "system" we have in the US.

+Quote Post

224 Pages V  « < 220 221 222 223 224 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 22, 2014 - 02:04 AM