The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Don't U 4get About Me..it's The '80's Again, step back into the future and talk about what was
sixelacat
post Aug 22 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #261

Creating demon-radical feminist hybrids since 1974

*drive-by*

Ack! I should be working, but nobody's mentioned Neneh Cherry yet! "Buffalo Stance" is still on my media player....

And Culture Club's Colour by Numbers was my very first purchased cassette. I saved my allowance for ages and listened to it obsessively....

*ducks out humming Karma Chameleon*

--------------------
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 22 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #262

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I saw Jody Watley perform just recently and I told my husband that I remembered she used to be in Shalamar. I used to love her! But she performed just recently in a poncho and a very unflattering hairstyle and makeup set up, so she seemed very different from her formerly polished self; I wasn't sure I remembered her and Shalamar correctly.

I'm like you re the bands, Sunshine....I am still listening to many of the bands you listed; and a few more in their later incarnations...Japan has now become a fascination with David Sylvian's work, for example. But for the most part I'd listen to and love anything you could dance to, like Echo and the Bunnymen, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Smiths (I'll still listen to Morrissey cause I've always thought he was funny, not depressing!)...the Psychedelic Furs, Skinny Puppy...oh brother.

I feel like I need a nap.

On the other hand, Lori Singer is on some fall TV show starting soon. Wish I could remember which one, but the nouns are quickly disappearing....

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Aug 22 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #263

Hardcore BUSTie

ferris bueller inspired my senior ditch day,, which I honored by getting a dozen dunkin donuts and watching the Blues Brother (God Bless Them) on tv for the umpteeth million time, and to which reasoning I gave my hs vp when I was caught, by my mother at my bf's house, and drug back to school.
he was cool bc I was honest about it, and let me kinda slide on the punishment.

good times! biggrin.gif

recently on tv I caught both fast times and footloose, which then seemed to play over & over again on different channels, like a sign or something. I had forgotten how truly good footlose was,and how pretty I thought lori singer was back then. where is she now?

mr fall, I'm w/ you on foreigner, I love most of the music that got radio play by them back in the day.
boston too.

and duran duran's reflex always whipped me into some sort of hypnotic psychotic craze.
I remember being utterly crushed when simon got married.

--------------------
I am a *spark* in this world; get lit.

+Quote Post
sunshine
post Aug 22 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #264

Hardcore BUSTie

Art of Noise was pretty good, Mr. FJ. I really dug The Legendary Pink Dots, too.

I could never get enough Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets, Joy Division or New Order. In fact, I still listen to most of this stuff on a regular basis.

Dancing in the Sheets by Shalamar -- that's where Jody Watley got her start.

--------------------
"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
--Claudia Ghandi

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 22 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #265

Hardcore BUSTie

I loved Art of Noise too! Especially that song called Moments In Love, which sounded so much like the Lila Fletcher's Piano Method song, Little Birch Canoe. Or whatever it is called....(they say in your 40's you begin to lose your nouns...forget names...that kind of thing. I, uh, guess it's true). (Also I can't really remember because I was horrifically untalented in piano lessons and that AON tune brought it all rushing back.)

I couldn't get enough of going out to clubs and listening to bands I don't want to list here because I will really, truly, feel old. Oh, and of this one Friday night "ritual" I had with my friends, to meet at a (no longer existant, but amazingly fabulous bar called Bemelman's) for "cocktails".

If Bemelman's were still around, that would be where my John Hughes Film Festival would be held. And we'd show Hairspray and Heathers, too.

I can't wait for Ugly Betty; what a nice way to take the taste of the Devil's Prada out of my system.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
mr_falljackets
post Aug 22 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #266

Hardcore BUSTie

I liked Art of Noise. And there was something Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" that I couldn't get enough of for some reason. I used to listen to the "Footloose" and "Ghostbusters" soundtracks on my walkman incessantly. And "Arena" too by Duran Duran.

--------------------
Nine!

+Quote Post
bunnyb
post Aug 22 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #267

The artist now known as I don't give a shit.

The boy bought *us* The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles and had Ferris Bueller's Day Off already.

I own The Goonies and Heathers and The Lost Boys...

We have the first 3 seasons of Magnum P.I. too and I have The Golden Girls.

I love the cheesiness of 80s TV - Dallas and Dynasty spring to mind.

I would love to throw a huge 80s party with TV and film theme and play nothing but classic 80s songs and TV soundtracks (A-Team!) all night.

--------------------
"Hey, did anyone ever think Sylvia Plath wasn't crazy, maybe she was just cold? " (Lorelai Gilmore)

+Quote Post
sunshine
post Aug 22 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #268

Hardcore BUSTie

Freckle, I'm right there with you and the 80's flicks. Here is a listing of my favorites. I own most but those that I don't I'm going to plan on NetFlixing here shortly:

Heathers, Hairspray, Outsiders, Fast Times,Weird Science, Footloose,
Ferris, Goonies and last but certainly not least, Blade Runner.

Leg warmers rocked and still do.

Smurfs!

--------------------
"If I had a single flower for every time I think about you, I could walk forever in my garden."
--Claudia Ghandi

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Aug 22 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #269

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(chachaheels @ Aug 22 2006, 12:46 PM) *

I am one of those fools who believes the clothing from the 80's wasn't all bad...as long as you left out the stirrup pants, the teased/sprayed/gelled mall hair, the mixed flourescents/lace/rubber jewellery, acid-washed skintight jeans...

the collar Up polo shirt, and jordash jeans, clogs and Body Lingo jeans !!
I HAD to have a pair of those in 6th grade, I mean HAD TO.
was the only trend I remember physically pining for.
I hated florescent anything though. was actually repelled by it, always knew it was flash in the pan ugly.

and yes, I think a John Hugh's film festival would be wonderful!
hold them all at drive in's & play movie soundtracks & that Flock of Seagulls song and dance dance dance up in front of the big screen.

I wonder if the new tv show Ugly Betty (who has that rockin' actress that starred in the movie 'Real Women have Curves' ) will be this gen's Square Pegs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
musicfit
post Aug 22 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #270

Btw, I LOVE the "Don't you forget about me" song. It's one of my favorite 80s tunes.

Original Simple Minds video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Xh1QM9hPQ

Breakfast Club manage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqiVJf7Stk...ted&search=

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Aug 22 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #271

Hardcore BUSTie

Freckle, the eighties were the epitome of "doing foolish things with enthusiasm", as you and Collette say. Still, I love all those John Hughes flicks and I think we're all on the verge of a trend of John Hughes Film festivals. At least private ones. So we can once again see the clothes.

I am one of those fools who believes the clothing from the 80's wasn't all bad...as long as you left out the stirrup pants, the teased/sprayed/gelled mall hair, the mixed flourescents/lace/rubber jewellery, acid-washed skintight jeans...

--------------------

+Quote Post
pepper
post Aug 22 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #272

hoo! that shouldn't be hard there freckle, i notice that 80's fashion is making a come back right now (again, sigh i feel old). skinny jeans and bangs pinned up in a poof, sleeveless rocker shirts, black eyeliner, bangles, pointy flat shoes, wide belts, it's all over the place. i'm just waiting for the flourescent hair bow tied on the side. wasn't that a "look"?

+Quote Post
freckleface2727
post Aug 22 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #273

Hardcore BUSTie

didn't there used to be a thread for this before?

I hope it's cool that I did this, but after seeing Molly Ringwald in an epi of medium, I had to post about it.

she looked good, still those fabulous full lips and the hair, only more mature.

when I realised it was her I nearly spit though.

I need to rent 16 Candles again and Pretty In Pink and all those other great flicks too.
wish I could get my kid to stop thinking the '80's were so dorky so I could grow her up the Right way. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 23, 2014 - 01:46 AM