Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bipolar disorder
oceangirl
post Mar 21 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #21

BUSTie

Hi Lucy. Thanks for answering my post. I am the old member named suffering. I lost my password when the forum changed over.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems and your husband's health problems. How long did it take both of you to get diagnoses? I just started treatment for babesia in November. So far I've noticed improvement in one symptom but no change in my major symptoms. The speclalist also diagnosed me with bartonella 'cause I have a classic bartonella rash that emerged less than a year ago and it's still there.

I haven't been reading too much about bipolar these days. I feel strongly that my bipolar episodes were caused by Lyme disease. The Lyme disease doctor I started seeing is a psychiatrist.

Those herx reactions are brutal....hope he feels better soon.

~ocean

QUOTE(Lucy @ Mar 5 2007, 12:15 PM) *

Suffering,
I'm new to this forum (and forums in general) so I hope you get this post since I am replying to a post from 2006. My husband has Lyme disease, and I have Bipolar II. He has mood swings just like mine. He never had problems with his mood before he got Lyme. He is on Tetracycline (500mg 3 times a day). It's only been about 6 weeks, and he is still having a herx reaction with only a couple of days scattered through the 6 weeks of relief. He has terrible muscle spasms and other physical symptoms, and he has a lot of the neurological symptoms of Lyme (memory loss, mood swings, inability to think of words, etc.). If you haven't checked into Lyme yet, try Lymenet. There is a lot of info. and a forum.
I'm on Lamictal, and it has been a miracle cure (almost). I have not had the major depressions I had before, and no side effects. If I had not gotten help when I did (about the time my husband's Lyme got so bad he couldn't do anything), we never would have made it through this.
My best wishes to you smile.gif . I hope to learn more about bipolar and share info. and support with the members here. Hang in there!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lucy
post Mar 5 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #22

QUOTE(suffering @ Apr 27 2006, 04:16 PM) *

Hi, <BR> <BR>Sign language interpretation, that sounds pretty interesting! I was working towards my English literature degree before I got sick (health problems sort of related to bipolar but not totally). I have had fatigue and urinary symptoms for two years now so my degree/life is on hold. I have two credits left to go. How long is the sign language interpretation course? It sounds cool. <BR> <BR>I think you are right about the correlation between schizophrenia and bipolar. I have read this a number of times but really don't know much about it. It's weird because there seems to be absolutely no family history of bipolar for me. I always hear about this genetic link but I don't know of anyone in my family with either depression or bipolar. I also never responded really to the psychiatric bipolar meds and I have been wondering if that is because maybe my problems were caused by Lyme? Who knows really. I think I have Lyme disease on the brain these days. I am trying to find a solution to my health problems so am trying to rule out absolutely everything. <BR> <BR>I think that was a huge digression...! I have a whole bunch of books about bipolar/psychosis and I read them in small chunks because there is so much info. it takes a while for me to absorb it, especially considering I do not have a science background.

Suffering,
I'm new to this forum (and forums in general) so I hope you get this post since I am replying to a post from 2006. My husband has Lyme disease, and I have Bipolar II. He has mood swings just like mine. He never had problems with his mood before he got Lyme. He is on Tetracycline (500mg 3 times a day). It's only been about 6 weeks, and he is still having a herx reaction with only a couple of days scattered through the 6 weeks of relief. He has terrible muscle spasms and other physical symptoms, and he has a lot of the neurological symptoms of Lyme (memory loss, mood swings, inability to think of words, etc.). If you haven't checked into Lyme yet, try Lymenet. There is a lot of info. and a forum.
I'm on Lamictal, and it has been a miracle cure (almost). I have not had the major depressions I had before, and no side effects. If I had not gotten help when I did (about the time my husband's Lyme got so bad he couldn't do anything), we never would have made it through this.
My best wishes to you smile.gif . I hope to learn more about bipolar and share info. and support with the members here. Hang in there!

+Quote Post
suffering
post Jun 23 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

I had really horrible panic attacks when I came off benzodiazepines. I'd never had them before and haven't had them since. They are extremely unpleasant. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with panic attacks.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Jun 13 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #24

A symphony of atrocities.

I have the worst panic attacks when I go to work, it's all I can do not to throw up. does this happen to anyone else?

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
suffering
post Jun 4 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

just barely. what's up?

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Jun 4 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #26

hello? is any one alive?

--------------------

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 23 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Thank you so much.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 23 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #28

Suffering,
I'm so happy that you have been properly diagnosed! That is a huge step in the right direction! I wish you the best of luck in your treatment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 22 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

deschatsrouge: I am with you on the antidepressants. I have a horrible manic episode on Effexor (also had a nearly year long hypomanic episode on Paxil).

I just found out I have Lyme disease. It gets misdiagnosed all the time as other things like depression and bipolar. Now I am wondering if this was causing my depression all along. I am wondering if I don't have bipolar at all. I don't quite know what to think.

knorl05: I am one of those people who've never experienced creativity as part of a manic episode. I love to write but I never associated it with the bipolar. I've never done any good writing while depressed or manic just lost a lot of time (and potential writing time). Sorry if my post was a bit of a downer, it's just my experience.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 18 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #30

I hated being on antidepressants, they sent me into a manic episode.

It's true about there being hypercreativity. When am in a manic state I'm very prolific. I write a lot. However If I have to chose between the creativity and stability, I choose stability. I feel very unhealthy when I'm manic. I don't sleep, I don't eat, I'm rude and aggresive. I don't find being in a state of madness pleasurable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
knorl05
post May 13 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

suffering: individuals with bipolar are far more creative and interesting than normal people. once you learn to really let your difference work in your favor, you see that you've been blessed with a beautiful, unique, intense mind. these are all very beneficial things. at least in my opinion, because i truly value the soul of an individual.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 13 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi knorl05: what do you mean benefits to "being this way"? Do you mean benefits to being bipolar? Personally I can't see any at all.

Janie90:I think antidepressants are different for everyone. I personally have had bad experiences with antidepressants every time I've taken them (which is 3 times). I found even with a mood stabilizer they made me feel in a mixed state, very agitated. I am always amazed when people respond well to antidepressants because I had such nightmare experiences with them.

+Quote Post
knorl05
post May 12 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

janie90: i tend to work jobs that dont require much responsibility on my part. i worked in an art gallery, as a bartender, now a receptionist. i'm getting tired of it though.. realizing i'm much more than my disorders, and trying to really establish myself as an individual with unique conditions. it's harder for us, but there are so many benefits to being this way that it makes it worth it. down with conformity.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
janie90
post May 12 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #34

BUSTie

Deschatrouge, Congrats on finishing your finals. However I disagree with you that anti-depressents are bad for people with Bi-Polar, I and several of my friends with Bi-Polar all take a moood stabilizer and a anti-depressent becasue we have more of the depressive side of bi-polar. I have been on several different Medications over the years for my condition, currently zoloft & Depakote work fairly well for me, except I still have those sleepless nights every once in a while which really sucks. Is anyone out there unable to work because of their condition? On Social Security? I have been the past year. Went to college for a term last fall, planning on going back in a while.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 12 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #35

*Sends sleep vibes to suffering*

Finals are over!!!!! I'm so having a pint of Ben and Jerrys

--------------------

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 11 2006, 03:46 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi Deschatsrouge,

I haven't yet made any breakthroughs. You can read about my saga in the "when peeing rules your life: Urinary tract infections" thread. Basically the gist is that my life has been on hold for 2 years because of these urinary symptoms and because of fatigue and serious sleep problems.

I did have 3 infections (three, I can't believe it) in my urethra but it doesn't seem that they are causing my symptoms. I went through very intensive treatment.

In terms of my mood it's alright all things considered which is amazing. My psychiatrist is very impressed that my mood is so stable given all the sleep deprivation (knock on wood!). I saw him yesterday and he gave me a sleep medication to try. The sleep is the worst part.

I hope you are well. I bet you are glad finals are almost over!

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 11 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #37

How are you feeling suffering? Hows the treatment search going? Any breakthroughs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
suffering
post May 11 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

Deschatrouge: What a positive post, thank you for sharing.

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post May 11 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #39

I have taken lamictal briefly as an alternative to an antidepressant (antidepressants are a no-no for bipolar folks) And it was good. I am a big fan of seruquel, I have been on it for four years and have remained stable for the duration of that time. It is expensive but for me it has been a miracle drug. (Astra-Zenica should hire me as spokes person) I would recomend it to any one.

It makes me angry that some people are profoundly affected my their illness but there is no way for them to get help. Has any one Been to a Natoinal Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) meeting? Sometimes you can get treatment ideas and support there. The fact remains that in most cases you must be your own advocate, that can be so hard especially if you are really sick. Gather strength from supportive realionships and cultivate new ones. I have found that love from those kinds of relationships has lent me some will power when I had none of my own. That is why I like this link, I want to lend some of my will power to those who need it now, and retun the favor given to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2loteria
post May 11 2006, 09:42 AM
Post #40

Hi- very interesting post. It is such a support to know there are other gals going through what I have experienced. I have been recently diagnosis with bipolar, which should not be a big surprise for me since my Dad is manic bp, and my mom is realizing she has serve depression. I have been on Welbutrin for 2 years, and then stopped due to the anxiety attacks it caused. I tried alternative methods such as acupuncture, acupressure, and herbal remedies. All mildly worked, but too expensive. Deschatsrouge is right to alternatives; it is good if you can afford it. I am now on a mood stabilizer called Lamitcal for the past 6 months. It has been pretty good. I think it was created for epilepsy. My Doc stated that it is dangerous to be on antidepressants without a stabilizer, and I agree. The Welbutrin threw me in the opposite direction of panic attacks. I am interested to try the vitamins that Suffering has been taking, I will check out the website. Thanks a bunch for starting this link. It has really helped out!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 30, 2014 - 08:19 AM