Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holdays Galore! Kwansitmaka!, everything holiday
candycane_girl
post Nov 10 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #21

Hardcore BUSTie

lol, I'm the other way around. I don't pay for individual songs, I buy albums (but only if I like enough of the songs on them). I use Limewire because it's the only free downloading software I know of for Macs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 10 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #22

Big Fat Bitch

I'll buy the odd individual song, but I won't pay for a whole album. From where do you thieve? I usually use Soulseek.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 10 2009, 08:50 AM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

pffft, I don't pay for individual songs. tongue.gif

I am very happy because tonight after class I am going to go shopping for Christmas decorations! I will try not to get too carried away as I only have a small tree but I can't wait. I wish I had a way of hanging up a wreath on my door.

eta: there is one performance that I wish I could find in an audio file but I'm afraid I never will. It's Vanessa Williams and Pavarotti performing Adeste Fideles on Saturday Night Live. I especially loved it because at the end he sounded so happy and he kept saying "Merry Christmas!"

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 9 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #24

Big Fat Bitch

Most of those are on comps I imagine, so I figger you should be able to get them off iTunes or Amazon.

I left off Isaac Hayes, Ernest Tubb, etc, etc, etc.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 9 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

I have Boogie Woogie Santa Claus on another cd! I bought a cd of older swing-y songs at Wal-Mart of all places. I think it's called Christmas Cocktails or something.

Anyway, I'll have to concentrate on the cd intermittently, right now school is taking over my life. I'm so glad that I get to go home early for Christmas though, unlike last year when I had to work right on Christmas eve.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Nov 9 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #26

Big Fat Bitch

Fifteen off the top o' my head:

Mabel Scottt - Boogie Woogie Santa Claus ( A bit older than what you've listed, but a classic!)
Brenda Lee - Papa Noel (Switching up from the typical RAtCT.)
Clarence Carter - Backdoor Santa
The Supremes - My Favorite Things
Stevie Wonder - Someday At Christmas
The Drifters - White Christmas
Chuck Berry - Run Rudolph Run
Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans - Here Comes Santa Claus
James Brown - Santa Claus, Santa Claus
Otis Redding - Merry Christmas, Baby (Ike & Tina do a great version of this as well, '65, I think.)
The Flirtations - Christmas Time is Here (The Vince Guaraldi Trio also do a lovely version of this.)
The Ronnettes - Sleigh Ride
The Carter Brothers - There's Trouble Brewin'
The Temptations - Little Drummer Boy
Ray Charles & Betty Carter - Baby It's Cold Outside

--------------------

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 9 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks ladies. I already have a few mix cd's at home but I love making them!

Is anyone else getting excited for decorating? My plan is to decorate my tree while watching the Santa Claus parade on tv.

+Quote Post
ketto
post Nov 9 2009, 09:05 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

Santa Baby is such a good one, by Eartha Kitt.

I'm sure you could find a CD of singers from the 60's singing some classic songs. I don't know many off the top of my head though.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 9 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Do you know "Santa, Baby"...can't think of who did that one. sad.gif

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 8 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, I'm just going to take over this thread. I'm trying to make yet another Christmas mix cd but I want it to have a 60s feel. So far the only songs that have the right sounds though are these ones

Rocking Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
Christmas (baby please come home) and All Alone on Christmas both by Darlene Love.

Does anyone know of any other Christmas songs with this kind of sound?

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 7 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

koffee, I'm sorry your place doesn't feel like home. Is there any chance you can move?

pepper, in my family we go more for having a mish mash of all things Christmas. The tree is decorated in all the ornaments we've collected over the years (some made by me and my brother as far back as kindergarten!) and pretty much everything is multi-coloured. I put a nativity scene on one coffee table and a Christmas/winter scene on the other. I love that everything is a mix of stuff that we've collected because it makes it feel more traditional. But since I live on my own I figured that I would go for a more structured, themed tree. One of my friend's moms just puts up 4 different themed trees every year! But that just doesn't feel home-y to me. It seems too much like a designer Christmas or something.

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Nov 7 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #32

go ahead . . . push the button!

i love color themed decor for holiday! i did blue and silver a long time ago and loved it! i am getting excited for thanksgiving and christmas too. i have the tree picked out already! (live in the woods) it is about a mile from the house though so it will take a little work to get it here and put up. (i like em huge! hehe) i am thinking the weekend after thanksgiving.

gah it has been foreva since i have been in here. sad sad.

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
koffeewitch
post Nov 7 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

CCGirl: Blue/Silver and Blue/Gold are some of my fave Xmas colors. They make everything look so peaceful and serene. If I had to pick one favorite Holiday prop it would be blue lites.

Pepper: Handmade holidays are the best...no commercial crap to buy, just dig through the recycle bin and start makin' shit up as you go.

I'm envious of you guys...Right after my family moved into this complex my partner was jumped by four guys and beaten severly. This happened just last Xmas, actually. On X-mas day, Mr. KW could barely get out of bed. His eyes and jaw were swollen shut and I saw signs of concussion. We have never felt good or safe here and I rarely bother with many decorations. It just has never felt too much like home.sad.gif

--------------------
"The U.S. is the only nation on Earth to pass from barbarism into decadence without once passing through an era of civilization."

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 7 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #34

I'm ready too, the pumpkins are all chopped up in the composter and the windows are bare and in need of festive decorations I think. My mom found a cute little door hangery thing the other day for us that says JOY on it (which is our last name, ha).
Last year was the first time I finally relaxed and just went all out kid. Let them decorate the tree, put up every tacky, goofy, silly decoration and all the stuff they've ever made. It was great, very colourful and fun. I think we'll do that again this year but super extra plus. We're having another hand made holiday so the kids and I will get crafty for the house too. I can't wait!

I love the idea of a one colour theme, one day we'll do that too. Bet the kids come up with some wacky ideas for that, they are a couple of loons those two.

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Nov 6 2009, 11:00 AM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

Okay, so it's early but I'm getting excited already. This is really out of character for me! Anyway, I have this incredibly tacky 3 ft silver Christmas tree that I love. This year I thought I would do things differently and rather than go for my usual multi-coloured theme I wanted to do blue! I'm going to have all blue decorations but white lights on the tree. Does that sound like a good idea?

What is everyone else doing?

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Dec 23 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

glad to hear that your guy is home safely shiny! everything is ready here, and i'm really excited for Christmas! it helps that there is lots of snow this year. i just hope we are able to drive everywhere safely!
happy season y'all!

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Dec 23 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #37

hubby is home! woot woot woot! i got lots done for my christmas dinner today. i am way tires but happy. i finished the chocolate trifle tart. made the filling for the seafood pot pies. made the salmon mouse. made the parm tuiles and green pea sorbet. made the mint grapefruit sorbet. made the tomato orange soup. the only thing i have to make tomorrow besides our christmas eve dinner which is not too hard to do, is the mushroom cream for the pasts course. i should even have time to fold a little laundry and sweep my floors before christmas eve starts our celebration.

merry christmas busties!

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Dec 22 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #38

i finished the candied chocolate dipped oranges that i give as gift last night and packaged and wrapped them all up. i also got most of the shopping done for my christmas dinner (huge 8 course meal for 12 people). i have to start making some of the things i can do before hand today. i am hoping that my hubby will get on a flight home this afternoon. it is snowing here and the roads are not that great but it is really pretty when it is all white and clean looking. can hardly wait to ski, but will be too busy for that till post christmas. still missing hubby. *sigh* only have a few things to buy for stocking stuffers and libation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Dec 21 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

Ugh. That sucks, shiny. I hate it when you're hoping the guy will be around and then something comes up and he's not. I'm not going to see the long-distance guy this month, nor for New Years, which is bumming me out a little. His ex-wife has bailed 3 times this month on her visitation with their kids, so he hasn't had a weekend off to come see me, and he has the kids for New Years. Bleah. For some reason, though, I was feeling kind of nostalgic for xmases past, so I posted an xmas story on my livejournal page, which you can read here. It's called the christmas crooks.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Dec 21 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #40

*pouting* hubby is stuck in denver with no flights home till the 24th. i knew i didn't want him to travel around christmas and now i have done most of the chrismas stuff without him and it looks like i will be doing damn near al of it with out him. bahfuckinghumbug!

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: October 24, 2014 - 12:48 PM