Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "I DID IT!!" Celebrating our Accomplishments
GuerraKnox
post Mar 29 2011, 06:06 AM
Post #1

QUOTE(altargrrrl @ May 18 2006, 12:38 PM) *
i just turned in my last paper of the semester! yea!

Congratulations altargrrrl!!! I am so proud of you!!!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
anarch
post Mar 24 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

so cool, epinephrine.

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Mar 22 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #3

Hardcore BUSTie

Wooooooo, epi! That's fantastic!

--------------------
“Logic is the art of going wrong with confidence.”
Morris Kline (mathematician, author) 1908-1992

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Mar 22 2011, 03:35 AM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

So, nearly six months after my last post here, I can confidently say that I have indeed passed that learning curve and my Chinese is improving faster and faster every day! Although I'm far from proficient in terms of vocabulary and reading comprehension (damn Chinese characters), I can converse pretty fluently now - at least with people I'm comfortable talking to. I didn't really feel like I'd improved that much until I finished my beginner class and found the intermediate class I'd been assigned to way too easy - it was the same class I'd been assigned to when I first arrived here, which I switched out of because it was too hard! I've since switched to an upper-intermediate class and I'm having no trouble at all. I've even been talking to people on the phone in Chinese, which has been one of my biggest obstacles. I had a 20-minute conversation with my friends in Beijing the other day and it was a breeze. I've always been above average in pronunciation and tones, and most people tell me I sound like a native. I get a lot of confused looks from people here when I speak Chinese, and I'm frequently mistaken for a Uyghur, one of China's fairer-skinned ethnic minorities. When I was in Beijing, with most of my face protected from the freezing wind by a hat and a scarf, I had several people mistake me for a native Chinese! Several Chinese people I've spoken to have told me my Chinese is the best (or at least most natural-sounding) out of all the foreigners they've met. I've still got another four months here and if I keep improving at this rate I could be going home more or less bilingual!

Also, I've been using chopsticks since forever, so that's nothing new. But I was wolfing down lunch at the cafeteria the other day and I noticed the girl sitting across from me staring. I'm used to that now, so I ignored it and kept eating. Then she asked me (in English) "are you...a foreigner?" I told her I was and she looked shocked, saying "but...you can use chopsticks...very well!" as if foreignness and chopstick proficiency were completely mutually exclusive things which cannot coexist. Apparently I'm so awesome with chopsticks that people question my ethnicity. Haha, score one for the foreigner!

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
anna k
post Oct 6 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Congratulations epi!!! I am so proud of you!!!

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Oct 5 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #6

A symphony of atrocities.

congrats epi on your burgeoning bilingualism!

I have had a similar experience with learning American sign Language. I also had to improvise to get around vocabulary gaps. I too had to learn to think in another language.

Don't be afraid to push yourself. I learned much more when I put myself in unusual (but safe) situations to push my linguistic ability. I flirted with some one once and I learned a lot!

--------------------
"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." -Exodus 22:18

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Oct 4 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Congrats, foryoursplendor! That's awesome!

I think I've finally started to get around the big second-language learning curve! I just realized tonight that, when I'm hanging out with my English-speaking Chinese friends, I find it easier to communicate with them in Chinese, even when English is totally possible. My Chinese is often really strange because I have to improvise around the considerable gaps in my vocabulary, but I still manage to get my point across most of the time without using English, and making myself understood in my broken Chinese is often easier. I try to only use English when it's absolutely necessary, and that's been gradually decreasing. Last night I spent my birthday with my roommate and three Chinese friends and I was probably only speaking English about 15-20% of the time. There have also been several times when I've been addressed in English and I automatically responded in Chinese, which means I'm learning to think in Chinese!

When I first got here I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of Chinese I had to speak just to do basic everyday things; I despaired that I'd completely deluded myself into thinking I could learn this language. I'm thrilled that in just one month I've made noticeable progress. I don't think I'll be going home fluent, but I should at least be able to communicate pretty comfortably!

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 14 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #8

((((Busties))))

Having compassion for ourselves and for others in this calvanist world of marching ants is a great accomplishment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
damona
post Sep 11 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #9

can i go to bed now?

thanks, epi smile.gif and have fun!

there is an awful lot of amazingness going on in here, isn't there? i love it!

i overheard a woman at the local thrift store explaining that she was going to become a foster parent this weekend and asking if they sell used car seats there. they don't (it's illegal, apparently). i happened to have the exact type of car seat she needed in the back of my truck. my youngest has outgrown it. i gave it to her, even put it in her car for her. she was completely shocked, especially since i refused money for it. i mean, what the hey, i don't need it any more, why not give it to someone who does need it? i'm just glad i was in the right place at the right time to help.

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Sep 9 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Congratulations, foryoursplendor! The next two years will fly by.

--------------------

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Sep 9 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Wow, there are some really awesome things going on in here. Congrats everyone!

I got into a quite competitive faculty at university this summer, and I had my orientation yesterday. It was amazing, exactly what I've been looking for and I know I've done the right thing in spending the time/effort getting into this. I'll be a certified teacher in 2 years, and already have a hint of a job offer.

+Quote Post
snarky7
post Sep 6 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

good luck epi! great work busties on all that you do!

Along with my recent Zumba Instructor certification, I can now play two whole songs on the acoustic guitar. "Oxygen" by Colbie Callait and "One Sweet Love" by Sara Bareilles (did I spell those right?). Sore fingers are *totally* worth it!

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Sep 5 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #13

new highs in personal lows daily!

do try to keep in contact epi. i am so jealous, lucky duck!

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Sep 4 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Congrats, on the weight loss, Damona! That must feel awesome. And big props to Deschats on becoming bilingual! The most gruelling, intensive second-language experience of my life is nearly upon me now. I'm at the airport, leaving for China in 7 hours. Forget butterflies - I have fucking bats in my stomach. Let's hope I get through this in one piece! Depending on whether or not China blocks access to the Lounge, I may be MIA for a while. But I'll be having an awesome time, and I'll be back!

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Sep 2 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #15

My Second Language is American Sign Language.

--------------------

+Quote Post
girltrouble
post Aug 31 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #16

new highs in personal lows daily!

congrats, deschat. i'm jealous. i've always wanted to learn another language... which is your second?

--------------------

"what a swell farewell party! we said goodbye to everything, including the lining in my stomach." - garvey, from the film, born bad

"That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted." --margo channing, all about eve

+Quote Post
Persiflager
post Aug 31 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #17

Hardcore BUSTie

Congratulations deschatsrouge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
deschatsrouge
post Aug 26 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #18

After much pain and anguish I'm now bilingual.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lorewolf
post Aug 13 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

Heeey! Congrats to GT! You'll be licensed to be inkin' peeps! That sounds sooooo fitting for your funky self! Rawk on!!!

+Quote Post
sukouyant
post Aug 10 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

epiphrine I'm so excited for you!! it's going to be amazing you lucky gal.
congrats girltrouble that's such a powerful form of artistic expression too. i mean putting your ink into someone's skin. that can get pretty profound, huh.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 07:39 PM