The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hey fat Ass! Why is sizism still an acceptable prejudice?
auralpoison
post Feb 17 2010, 12:26 AM
Post #21

Big Fat Bitch

Has anybody else been keeping abreast of the Kevin Smith/Southwest Airlines kerfuffle? I'd like to say I'm surprised at the virulent anti-fat backlash, but I'm not. People are being downright vicious in their assessment of fat people & traveling. Things like, "put down the fork if you want on the plane" & mentions of "cattle cars" & the like.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Sep 8 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #22

BUSTie

I LOVE how hardly any brands offer a size XL, but yet do offer an XXS. Ha! No wonder everyone has fucked up body standards! Ladies, let's revolt! hahaha Serioulsy though, what's up with that?!

+Quote Post
angie_21
post Sep 6 2009, 08:54 PM
Post #23

Hardcore BUSTie

CC and Madame, I vary between size 8 and size 12, depending on the store, but I've gone to a few stores now where their size L is reaally stretching it, and there is no XL. So many of my favorite stores don't even make clothes past a size 12, so I worry a lot more about my weight than I ever have in the past. It pisses me off, because I don't think I'm fat. When I look in the mirror, I know I look curvy, womanly, and healthy. Every once in a while I wonder, maybe that's not what other people always see, if this is really what size I am... I guess in a way I'm lucky to have a smaller chest that makes me look smaller than I really am. but either way, that's their problem. Most people I know are around the same size as me, so mostly it just really does bug me that they don't make clothes for truly "normal" people.

+Quote Post
MadameHooch
post Sep 3 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #24

BUSTie

CC_girl,I am right there with you. I too am a size 12, and it pisses me off that it's considered a "fat size." And not for nothing , but don't you feel like the magazines are lying sometimes? Have you ever seen before and after pictures in a magazine and the"before" picture shows the girl at a size 12 looking like she was definitely a size 22? I know I am not, nor ever will be, skinny by society's standards, but it's just plain fucked up to take the norm and twist it into something it's not. I also love when I tell a friend I wear a 12 and they make a screwed up face and go "Oh, you're that big? I thought you were smaller than that." ...For some reason, I don't feel flattered.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 21 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #25

Big Fat Bitch

Fuck you, PETA!

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
candycane_girl
post Aug 20 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

I just read that earlier today star. I think what I like is that, as Jezebel pointed out, Glamour hasn't made a big deal over using plus size models. It's not like "ooh, here's our special section with plus size models" instead they just put them in the magazine. Who knows, maybe after seeing the positive response from readers, other magazines will start to follow suit.

I had actually wanted to come in here to post about something else. I can't remember if I was on Jezebel or another site but someone posted something about size 12 being their "normal" size. Size 12 is also my normal size (although I am not at that size right now). If I were to go any smaller than a 12 it would mean that I'm not eating. And yet in some stores, size 12 is the beginning of plus size. It's no wonder that when I was a 12 I still thought I was fat because all the other girls were a size 2. Maybe it shouldn't bother me but it drives me crazy that my healthy size is considered the beginning of the "fat sizes" by many people. When are we going to realize that women really do come in all shapes and sizes?

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Aug 20 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #27

brown delicious

One small step for plus size women

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
stargazer
post May 1 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #28

brown delicious

Yeah, I thought the argument that plus size clothing encourages obesity as being terribly weak. One could argue that size 0 clothing encourages eating disorders. *yawn*

I think the focus on "fat being bad" is not a way to inspire people to get fit. Shame is not a good motivator for change. I think I actually read an article in one of my psych rags about a different approach in body image using health as opposed to a focus on weight to motivate change in behaviors.

When I'm feeling good and accepting of my body, I don't weight myself and I'm more active. I just realized this behavior when I took part in a research project on weight and yoga.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lilacgypsy1
post May 1 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(girl_logic @ Apr 30 2009, 11:40 AM) *
There are great comments on that article. It's absurd that people think like Meme Roth. 'Let's make American teenagers even more depressed and self-conscious by making sure they can't find clothes that fit.' (paraphrasing)

Meme Roth is the President of Action against Obesity ( or some such S*** like that) First protesting that overweight teens shouldn't have nice, fashionable clothes-- what next Meme? Coming after them in the middle of the night with pitchforks and torches? Saying they shouldn't be allowed to live among the beautiful. I hearby declare myself President of The society to stop the rediculous/vain spelling of children's names so they can be "Unique". HEAR THAT MIMI???

As for the designers only designing for the rich and wealthy--actually fashion isn't what is keeping them afloat moneywise, it's the accessories they brand with their name. Bags, scarves, sunglasses, wallets to keychains. Stuff the Average (and horrors non size 10's) are able to scrape their shekles together and buy.

You Go Emme!!! Hey does anyone now where I can get the poster of Emme posing as "Odelisque" (sp?)

Lilacgypsy

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Apr 30 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

There are great comments on that article. It's absurd that people think like Meme Roth. 'Let's make American teenagers even more depressed and self-conscious by making sure they can't find clothes that fit.' (paraphrasing)

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Apr 30 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #31

brown delicious

Article about whether plus sizes for teens encourages obesity

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Jan 7 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Well said, ladies. I agree that Oprah should be more of a role model for self acceptance, rather than continuing the unhealthy diet/weight gain/freakout/diet cycle over and over again. This is the part that I love in Kate Harding's letter to Oprah...

It kills me to hear you [Oprah] say things like, ”I can’t believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I’m still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, `How did I let this happen again?’” Honey, you didn’t “let it” happen again. Your body made it happen again, because your body does not freakin’ want to be thin. And every time you quit the part-time job of dieting — or even just cut back your hours — your body goes, “Thank god!” and starts storing fat hand over fist. It happens to nearly all of us. I know you’re a woman who’s used to defying odds by quite a lot, but there is no shame in having a body that responds to dieting in exactly the same way as pretty much everyone else’s.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
neurotic.nelly
post Jan 6 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

All that dieting, and it's no wonder that she has a thyroid problem now. She looks more normal and healthy at a heavier weight to me. The size that she loathes so much, that fullness, is normal for her. She is a southern black woman, and all the women in her family are probably full figured.

--------------------
Earth: A Satanically ran planet where 98% of it's inhabitants are unquestioning, conformist idiots who are totally controlled and manipulated by the Satanic governments of the world and have been made complacent by said governments, through rigorous brainwashing.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jan 6 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

When we are talking about the amount of weight she intends to lose with each and every diet (including the one she's pushing now) we are always talking about roller coaster dieting. And that is deadly. Up 40 pounds, down 50, up sixty, etc.

There is no way that is nutritionally sound.
There is no way that will not have a massive impact on organ function in the body. A much more profound impact that just eating well, eating nutritiously, doing things one loves to do in order to be active (not a mindless exercise regime...the kind she always does and says openly that she hates).
There is no way "successful" weight loss like this can be healthy to anyone if it all hinges on the kind of self-loathing that sells diets. If you're eating and starving because of that kind of psychological illness (not accepting and loving yourself as you are) being thin will never make you healthy, your illness is already far deeper than being just a physical problem.

Thing is, Oprah's got a huge influence and she can make a massive difference to millions of people on the issue of self-acceptance and self-love that would be far more healing and far more healthy. That's a shame and a wasted opportunity to really make the world healthier.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
raisingirl
post Jan 5 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #35

PANTIES! ew.

This is also a confession, but I watched Oprah's show today. She let it alllllllllllll out with regards to her weight gain and what was going on in her head in the last year. I was skeptical of her doing this for ratings, being the first week of the new year and all, but I do applaud her for her honesty.

ETA: Here's a very small clip of what she said.

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Jan 5 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #36

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

While I admit to be being annoyed and dissapointed with the way Oprah is handling herself right now, mostly I feel sad for her. I want her to like herself more and stop apologizing for being human.
And I dissagree that she is involved in some kind of deadly roller coaster weight loss. She just stopped eating and working out the way that she was before. I am in the same place right now and I don't think it is going to kill me to go back to healthier eating and working out regularly and with more intensity. I felt better when I was doing that. It worked for me. Less heartburn too (the sugar that I love gives me heartburn. sad.gif )
Now she has done weight loss extremes and even she admits that was a mistake and bad for her health. That wasn't what she did last time.
I do agree that many if not most bodies are going to settle at a weight area despite certain efforts.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Jan 5 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, I think Oprah is a wonderful example of an out and out truth that so many supposed "nutritionists" and doctors who claim to be knowledgeable about weight want to ignore. She has incredible wealth, and really, she can buy anything she needs to buy in order to stay thin--ongoing starvation regimes like her first few weight losses, trainers, chefs who put her on tight eating schedules and limit her food intake--all the supposed "cures" to weight gain. But she's been doing that and she's had trainers exercising with her endlessly and she's employed all the avenues she could buy, and yet she blames herself for gaining weight instead of realizing that she's going to be the weight her body intends for her to be no matter what she does. And it has nothing to do with how much she eats or how little she eats, and nothing to do with how much exercise she does or how little she does. How many times does she have to gain it back before she gets it? Because I think a lot of people "get" what she seems to refuse to see.

Furthermore, the kind of rollercoaster dieting we're seeing her do is actually deadly. Far more deadly than being heavier and differently shaped than the impossible beauty standard imposed on women, one that she's trying to meet.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
yuefie
post Dec 30 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #38

Lip Balm Aficionado

Sorry to be a complete bitch here but that asshole Oprah can eat a bag of dicks and choke on 'em. She once made a comment, several years back, about how lingerie shouldn't even be made in larger sizes (I believe the size she was referring to was 20, maybe even as large as 22 -oh my!) because, heaven forbid, women over a certain size have no business wearing lingerie.

I just googled it to see if I could still find the article and clip but it has been quite a while and it's good and buried now. Luckily for her the general public doesn't have the memory of an elephant like *this* heiffer does.

--------------------
~I'm so tired of being tired
As sure as night will follow day
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway~

+Quote Post
twelve_percent
post Dec 30 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #39

BUSTie

I'm not sure where I stand on the Oprah situation. There is always a chance of influence when you are a celebrity but then again Oprah has her own set of priorities. Every heavy woman should love themselves but there is such a deep set guilt perpetuated by society for big ladies. No matter how much Oprah tries to be above the media's definition of beauty she IS the media. Am I completely wrong on this one?

--------------------
Listen to my music and you will feel complete! www.myspace.com/kellyinezmusic

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Dec 29 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm a big fan of Kate Harding and her blog site Shapely Prose, which is all about size acceptance. I particularly love her letter to Oprah that she wrote earlier this month, directed at Oprah's recent "shame on me" blather about "falling off the weight wagon" again. Kate argues that Oprah, role model that she is, should work on accepting her body as it is, rather than castigating herself (and scores of other women who follow suit) for gaining weight again. I totally agree.

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 21, 2014 - 05:57 PM