Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hiv Testing, Can we talk?
HIV
Do you know your HIV status?
Yes [ 43 ] ** [91.49%]
No [ 4 ] ** [8.51%]
Have you had unprotected sex with a partner whose HIV status you didn't know?
Yes [ 24 ] ** [50.00%]
No [ 24 ] ** [50.00%]
How often do you discuss HIV status with a partner before having sex?
Never [ 6 ] ** [12.77%]
Rarely [ 7 ] ** [14.89%]
Sometimes [ 8 ] ** [17.02%]
Often [ 13 ] ** [27.66%]
Everytime [ 13 ] ** [27.66%]
Total Votes: 47
Guests cannot vote 
Waif
post Mar 6 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jun 23 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks again ladies for all the advice! I have definitely been much more careful these past few days with needles. I'm feeling a lot better about the situation since I talked to that doctor, hope no one else has any scares!

+Quote Post
Vega
post Jun 17 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Buttercups, I would write it down as lesson learned. Next time, you'll toss the needle or the pricker rather than setting it down. As a nurse, I'm sure it's a common mistake considering how many times a nurse handles a needle in a day. I would tell your boss or your company. I would think there would be a protocol that they follow when such instances happen.

--------------------
Allie Vega, Private Health Insurance Advisor

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Jun 12 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #4

Hardcore BUSTie

yay for reassurance. i also wanted to say, i know that flash of horror and embarrassment when you do something like that. there were a few times when i was a new nurse, and still learning how to appropriately handle things, that i stuck myself while using a syringe to draw up medication. there would be these few intense seconds of panic before i reminded myself that i hadn't stuck the patient yet, so the needle had been clean smile.gif

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jun 12 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for all your advice ladies. It has been nerve-wracking. I actually called the National Clinician Post-Exposure Prophylaxis hotline and they put me through to a doctor. I explained my whole situation and she said that since the needle was not hollow, and there was no visible blood on it, and bc of the population that I'm working with, that the risks of taking the drug would not outweight the benefits. She said I should pretty much just go on them if I can't sleep at night. I checked the patient's chart and he has no history of anything or of IV drug use, but I'm still going to get tested. I probably just won't go on the meds. Thanks for all of your help and reassurance. I'll keep everyone posted at 6 months..oy vey!

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jun 12 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #6

brown delicious

buttercups, report it to your workplace STAT. it is a work related injury and i'm sure you are not the first person at the work place to have a similar incident. by reporting it to your workplace, you will probably go to employee health where they will draw your blood, give you meds, and you will be tested during 3 month-6 month intervals for the 1st year. i had accidentally pricked my finger when drawing someone's blood. be safe and follow through with the protocol. i only took the meds for 3 days while i awaited my test results which were negative.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 11 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #7

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

You should report it and go through the protocol. It sucks. I work in a dental office and everyone gets poked now and then. My boss has had it happen a few times, but has only done the anti-HIV drugs once. The office is in a very upscale area, and I know you shouldn't stereotype and shouldn't just assume the patients aren't sick, but in the past, they've all been regular patients who we've known and trusted, and have also been willing to get tested themselves. The one time she did go through the anti-HIV drugs was a patient who was a walk-in (almost never happens for us) and looked scuzzy and was kind of an asshole to begin with (she was regretting starting treatment on him before she poked herself!) and refused to get tested afterwards. She had to do three months of the drugs, which made her nauseated the whole time, but was negative in the end and that's what matters.

One of the hygienists got poked about a year ago, and the patient went and got tested. It came back negative and the office sent him a gift card to a steakhouse for being so cooperative.

I can understand being apprehensive about going through the treatment afterwards, but if you're worried about looking dumb or whatever, you shouldn't be. It happens to everyone- I've even done it when I was helping out with sterilization- it was from a 5-year-old kid, though, so I didn't bother. Either way, going through the treatment and knowing you're okay is so much better than not knowing!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
ketto
post Jun 11 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #8

Hardcore BUSTie

Buttercups, that sucks but I think accidents like that are more common then you would think. If I were you, I would report. Like enfermera said, it's a work related injury and just for safety precautions you should be tested (and/or the patient) and fill out the proper paperwork. It's very unlikely you picked anything up, but on the off chance you did you'll want to have a record that it was a work related injury.

When I was 17 and working as a camp counsellor at a diabetic camp one of my kids accidentally used another kids lancet to poke their finger. They both had to have blood taken and the event needed to be recorded but it was all just precaution.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
enfermera
post Jun 10 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

buttercups, something very similar happened to me. i was giving a patient insulin (wearing gloves!) and as i was injecting it, the pinch of fat i had between my fingers rolled away and the needle went through his skin and into my glove. i could tell right away, there was a slight tingling sensation in my hand, and when i took my glove off there was insulin in the fingertip. i'm not sure if the policy varies from facility to facility, but here's what happened with me: i went out and told the charge nurse, who sent me down to the ER. this was at night; otherwise i could have gone to employee health. i filled out a few forms, and a doctor talked to me about my options. one thing that happened was they tested the patient for HIV and other blood-borne pathogens. this is one of the rare cases in which consent is not required from the patient, since it could have been transmitted. i think they also took blood work from me. the patient's blood work came back clean, so i declined to start on HIV prophylaxis meds.

it's really up to you whether or not you report it, but technically, it is considered a work-related injury. try not to be embarrassed--these things happen all the time! when you are filling out an injury report, you have to describe what you were doing, what equipment you were using, etc. if nothing else, maybe your report would be a nudge to them to get rid of those unsafe lancets.

take heart, lady, from your description, i would think that your chance of contracting anything would be <1%. just be sure to stand up for yourself; you have rights to safety as a caregiver.

+Quote Post
aphelendra
post Jun 10 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Buttercups, that sucks. I'm planning on going into nursing as well and I gotta say that is one of my biggest fears . . . .

If I remember correctly, HIV dies very quickly once exposed to air, in like one to two minutes max, I wouldn't worry about that. And I do know someone who got stuck by a needle that was Hep C positive while working as a wound care tech. And we're not talking a little scrape here, he got stuck stuck, like had to pull the syringe out of his arm. Three years later and he is still negative. 1% sounds like good odds to me, though I understand the panic.

So so sorry this happened . . . . hang in there lady.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jun 10 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

Wasn't sure where else to put this. I did something stupid at work, and now I'm all upset about it and don't know what to do. It was my second day of my new nursing job. I was pricking someone's finger for a blood sugar check. I put down the finger-prick thing and it's an older type where the little needle doesn't retract. I went on to give him his insulin and then took off my gloves. When I was putting the finger-pricker away, the needle was sticking out and i scraped my thumb against it and the cut started to bleed. I couldn't believe I did that. I panicked, and was embarrassed, and didn't say anything. I don't know if this person is HIV positive or has Hep C or anything. I just stupidly scraped my finger on the needle. I rinsed my finger with water and washed it with soap and water. I read somewhere that the risk from something like this is less than 1%, but I feel sick to my stomach. I don't want to tell anyone at work though, and I know this is stupid, but I'm scared. And I don't want to take any HIV-prophylaxis meds cause they have terrible side effects. I know the risk is so low, but I still feel scared. what should i do?

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Dec 13 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #12

Hardcore BUSTie

'tis the season for bon bons! i bought the most yummiest candy cane ever. it's hand made of natural stuff. it tastes so good!

you all should see shiny's kitchen. full of bon bons. yummmm . . .

fiddler

--------------------
Everybody loves the truck!

+Quote Post
shinyx3
post Dec 1 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #13

go ahead . . . push the button!

fiddler, does that mean you now have been inspired by the show to make said bon bons and i will get to try them out?

*crossing fingers*

--------------------
"Razors pain you; rivers are damp; acids stain you; and drugs cause cramp. Guns aren't lawful; nooses give; gas smells awful; you might as well live."

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Dec 1 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, gals! There's a show on the food network right now about bon bons. I thought of you all. The very fact that I'm awake and watching the food network in the middle of the night says something about my current state of mind. Hmmm. . .

fiddler

--------------------

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Nov 26 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #15

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

QUOTE(kiss_the_fiddler @ Nov 26 2007, 03:00 PM) *
he is totally cute! how old is he? i'm lucky to get to see lilshiny often. he's fun. then again, i have baby fever.

fiddler

He's 4 months old today!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Nov 26 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

he is totally cute! how old is he? i'm lucky to get to see lilshiny often. he's fun. then again, i have baby fever.

fiddler

--------------------

+Quote Post
culturehandy
post Nov 26 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #17

(o)(o)

Bestill my cold black heart, he is darned cute!

--------------------
Hatred does not cease in this world by hating, but by not hating; this is an eternal truth. --- Buddah, The Dhammapada

+Quote Post
pixiedust
post Nov 26 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Tink's Red headed Step Sis

QUOTE(pepper @ Nov 26 2007, 10:56 AM) *
i can't see avatars, i had to visit your profile to check it out. totally worth it, hee! key-oot!

Thanks Guys..he really is the cutest little bug! He's got mommy and daddy wrapped all around those little fingers!

--------------------
~May the Fleas of one thousand camels infest the crotch of any person who messes up your day, and may their arms be too short to scratch!~

+Quote Post
pepper
post Nov 26 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(shinyx3 @ Nov 26 2007, 11:20 AM) *
damn pixie, that is such a cute pic for your avatar

i can't see avatars, i had to visit your profile to check it out. totally worth it, hee! key-oot!

+Quote Post
kiss_the_fiddler
post Nov 26 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #20

Hardcore BUSTie

Hmmm. . . I wonder if I can use Shiny's recipe for candied oranges to candie other citrus fruits. I'm hella into lemons right now. I think candied lemons with candied ginger would be divine. Without the chocolate (I know, I'm teched in the head). I think I'm going to try it this week.

fiddler

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 29, 2014 - 10:26 PM