Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

224 Pages V  « < 216 217 218 219 220 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
anoushh
post Sep 19 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #4341

Hardcore BUSTie

The first question is whether any of the docs in her area will support her in even trying a vbac. Our local hospital won't, which is a shame, I think.)

It's getting harder and harder in the US to find medical providers who whill support people in vbac, in spite of medical evidence that for many people it is a perfectly safe option.

I wish her the best in being able to make a fully informed decision, rather than just being backed into a corner b/c she doesn't have options.

I thought this link was pretty good. It might help alleviate some of her fears about it.

http://www.childbirth.org/section/VBACFAQ.html

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Sep 19 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #4342

Nice Kitty

chani- good luck! today is your last day at work? put your feet up, girlie!

In the meantime, i have a medical-ethical question. My girlfriend here at work is pregnant with her #2. She, like me, had a c-section (unplanned) with #1. She and I were talking about vbac vs. elected c-section with #2. She's very early on, and hasn't made any descisions at all, but I was curious what you all thought. Chani, being a doc, especially you. I'll fully admit that my labor/delivery with moxette puts me squarely in the elected c-section camp, but that's me- and we may not even ever have a #2.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 17 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #4343

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry--didn't mean to be mysterious.

I'm just in later stage pregnancy and feeling HUGE and HEAVY and just not very comfortable. Oh, and peeing constantly and not sleeping well most of the time.

Perfectly normal stuff.

+Quote Post
chani
post Sep 17 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #4344

Hardcore BUSTie

what's up?

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 17 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #4345

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok, I'm feeling really uncomfortable.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 15 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #4346

Hardcore BUSTie

I think it must be incredibly hard to be a medical person who's worked with pregnancy stuff when you are yourself pregnant. There's a neonatal nurse in my childbirth class and she's struggling with trying to not get freaked out b/c she only sees the bad stuff.

Take it easy and try not to worry (yeah, I know you know that, and they are pretty hollow words, but what can you say?)

And keep us posted (if you want to, of course.)

Meanwhile, this was from the other forum I frequent. There are a number of current pregnancies there at the moment, and when the subject of of whether or not you want to know the sex of your baby before it's born came up (I am fully in the "don't you dare tell me" camp) this was posted. I thought it was hilarious, so am sharing.

"We never wanted to know the sex of our kids in advance (though it was kind of inevitable with our adopted princess).

Mind you, when Mrs B was brewing up Number Three in Tokyo during the summer of 1999, we got caught out. As Mrs B was getting her ultrasound, the charming nurse was doing her best to give an English commentary: "So, there is head. Now you can see two arms. Also, I think you can see here two legs. And this is penis. Do you want to know sex of baby?"

Much to our surprise, it turned out to be another boy, rather than the girl with a penis we had kind of been expecting..."

+Quote Post
chani
post Sep 13 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #4347

Hardcore BUSTie

Hey ladies,
Cran I'm sorry you're still feeling so rotten! When my nausea finally improved last time my husband looked at me and said "That's the first time you've smiled in the last 4 months". There's nothing worse, and I fully feel your pain.
I got some rotten news yesterday - had my screening ultrasound for Down's syndrome. No signs of Downs, but I have a subchorionic hemorrhage and thus increased risk of 2nd trimester loss, preterm delivery, abruption and a bunch of other nasty complications. I'm supposed to be on light activity, but I have 6 more days of work and I have to suck it up and pray I make it through ok. Then I really do need to take it easy for a few weeks. I'm feeling really anxious about this - I know that the majority of these pregnancies still deliver healthy babies at term, but I have seen so many bad outcomes that I know in my gut exactly what might be ahead of me.

+Quote Post
cranberrigirl
post Sep 9 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #4348

Hardcore BUSTie

hello everybody, Happy Saturday.

So I am a little over 3 months along, and I'm popping out of everything. I wear my belly band like a uniform. My once sucked in tummy is clearly protuding. I feel like I'm too big for only 3 months. I haven't gained any weight, it's just all in my stomach area. My boss at work on her 3rd kid is wearing full blown 1980's JCpenny Maternity garb with a rather large belly. And this really tiny coworker (who's wicked nice) has a celebrity mini bump. But I have this full abdomen thing going on. I realized last night, that it's my stomach. This kid is shoving my stomach up through my ribcage.

This would also explain the fact that I am no longer nauseas(sp.) but instead I have projectile vomit like.. whenever. It's pushing bile and everything up my throat on a daily/hourly basis. I can't talk about some foods, I can barely look at meat, (any type) or lettuce.. stuff... I am a soup nazi right now. That's all I ever want to eat. Ever.

Yesterday after tossing my cookies 5 times at work. I came home at 5 and I suddenly go.. cripe I'm going to do it again. But determined to carry on, I agreed to go out to dinner and do some evening shopping. I get in the car, and I immediatly regret not bringing a bag. I stick a piece of mint gum in my mouth and chew rapidily. Mr. Cran is dictating his day to me and I'm gripping the "Holy shit" handle for the entire 30 min. drive to the near by town. Unfortunatley, there is a line of cars infront and behind us, so I feel weird about stopping and puking on the side of the road so we drive on.

Upon entering the town, I can no longer chew my gum. My mouth is watering like crazy, I reach in the back of the car (Thank goodness I rarely clean it out) and find a Camping Coffee teapot thing I had brought to my school during Camping week. I ripped off the top and heaved into it. Right at the light. Fun. Love this really.

I broke down and bought "Pregnancy Sucks" ( I really wanted to skip it, wanted to be a Goddess, MOther Earth...yadda, yadda...) but this book has what I am going through.. and it just makes me feel better. But this is my last prego book.

Anyway.. sorry to be so gruesome.
I'm glad everyone is doing well..
Talk to you all later
Cran

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 6 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #4349

Hardcore BUSTie

GTT test came back with the middle number only elevated, but ok other than that. She it wouldn't hurt to watch my diet--which I've been doing. (it was pretty good anyway, so only minor modifications) and wasn't worked up about it. Which was good.

Buffoon, baboon--I'll be happy to call them all kinds of names. They were supposed to phone me, apparently, but didn't. Oh well. (And no insult intended to baboons).

Now I have to go back to the dentist from hell today--the one where the hygenist insisted that accepted a note from the nurse-midwife was like them sending a note from the hygenist to the doctors office. Um, no. And I tried to explain that and she snappily said to me "I'm not talking about that" ie, I'm not talking to you, so shut up. Stupid cow.

+Quote Post
chani
post Sep 5 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #4350

Hardcore BUSTie

~grin~ Buffoon makes me think of those red bummed monkeys for some reason!
I hope all will be well with you tomorrow. I'm hanging in - 10 working days left to go! I'm feeling better now than I was a few weeks ago, although I had a rough day today. I had a little burning with my last pee, so I wonder if I'm getting a bladder infection or if I'm just tired. I'll do a test tomorrow and see.
I realized this weekend that in a few short weeks the only thing I'll have to worry about is how to decorate the nursery... oh, and how to keep up with Chaniboy who has somehow grown up into a little whirlwind while I've been busy at work!

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 5 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #4351

Hardcore BUSTie

ok, I cannot believe I'm 7 months now. And that I have two months of growing to go.

THe baby is now doing that stretching and then just leaving it's foot/elbow/hand pushed out for a while thing. It's weird.

And am having periodic freak outs along the lines of "oh my god--what have I done!? My life will never be the same! What if we've made a terrible mistake."

Which I think must be pretty normal--after all being responsible for another human being is about the biggest deal there is--but still, it's exhausting.

No word on the GTT, which either means they are incompentant buffoons or that it was negative. Appointment tomorrow, so will find out.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Sep 1 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #4352

Hardcore BUSTie

Now that's a good doctor! (It's the nutritionists who scare me. I've worked with them before. Why do they so often strike me as people who've managed to parlay eating disorders into jobs? Not to mention hating food.)

I agree. Everyone needs cake once in a while. And clearly no harm done to moxiebaby, as evidenced by continuing gorgeous pictures!

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Sep 1 2006, 06:24 AM
Post #4353

Nice Kitty

Oh, the insulin...i'm sure chani could handle this better...but, my doc told me i'd only have to do the insulin if i couldn't keep my sugar levels good with diet. Its like type 2 diabetes in that way. I ate good, had 1 day of "high numbers" (I ate cake!), and when i told my doc that, he kind of laughed and said "everyone needs cake once in a while."

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Aug 31 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #4354

Hardcore BUSTie

No, nothing yet. I also was thinking that might be a good sign. I have an appointment with the midwife next Wednesday, so I can ask more questions then, if necessary.

I do really, really appreciate the attempts to reassure me. I don't want a lot of intervention--unless I ask for it.
I don't want a bunch of ultrasounds, I live in fear of an induction, and, well, I'm just good at worrying about a whole load of stuff, which I'm going to stop listing before I freak myself out. I suppose most everyone finds something to worry/obsess about in pregnancy, don' t they?

The thing is, I've not been able to find anything that shows a different outcome with treatment for GD than w/o any treatment.

It didn't help that a woman in the waiting area (with her tiny looking 5 month old) told me she had GD and had to give herself insulin injections. blink.gif

Anyway, again, thanks again for the reassurance. It's really been helpful.

Chani, how are you feeling? How is everyone feeling, in fact?

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Aug 31 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #4355

Nice Kitty

ok, chani does this for a living, but as a GD patient, here;s exactly what i had to do:
1. check my sugAr 3 or 4 times a day
2. Follow a rather strict diet, which was pretty much exactly what i ate normally
3. Have more ultrasounds (every other appt) to keep an eye on the bebe's groth
4. Be prepared to have the baby;'s blood sugar checked periodically over the 1st 24 hours of her life outside me, asnd if it was low, to supplement with formula.

I was induced a week early, but it had nothing to do with th GD...i ended up with low aminotic fluid (seen on one of those "extra" USs.

For some people, the thought of supplementing with formula is the scariest part, but trust me, if you're kid's BS was low, you;d want to make them feel better right away/ For me, it was the damed fingerchecks...it didn't hurt, it was just a pain in the ass. After a copuple weeks, i was a little more lax about it than i should have been, but was never high, ever, so i dodn't worry too much.

I'm sure you've looked it up, but the risks of GD are all about the bebe...big size, harder delivery, low sugar after birth. If you are at a plave where they can check the baby's BS, and any USs show an otherwise normal baby, i'd vertainly hope you could deliver at at center.

Any nwes yet? if it were positivwe, they'd let you know ASAP.

+Quote Post
chani
post Aug 31 2006, 07:02 PM
Post #4356

Hardcore BUSTie

A + glucose screen won't force you into hospital - and is unlikely if you've had such little weight gain. Hang in there!

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Aug 31 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #4357

Hardcore BUSTie

I've only gained 12 lbs, I'm almost 7 months, and not sure I could do much different.

I guess my main worry is that they will decide I'm "high risk" and say I can't use the birth center, but have to go to the hospital--which I DON"T want to do.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll try to keep calm.

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Aug 31 2006, 05:57 AM
Post #4358

Nice Kitty

anoush, the worst that happens, is you have the GT, have to eat healthy and not gain 40 extra pounds. My sugars went back to absolute normal about 1 hour after the moxette was born.

+Quote Post
anoushh
post Aug 29 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #4359

Hardcore BUSTie

I am anxiously awaiting the results of my GTT.

Not happy about this at all.

+Quote Post
sweet_persephone
post Aug 24 2006, 09:30 PM
Post #4360

BUSTie

Poor girl, I feel for you!
I'm new to the lounge and I've been reading your posts. I am glad you're starting to get over the nausea. My son is almost two, and I still vividly recall how terrible I felt for the first four months of pregnancy. I was sick 24/7, and I was working a 40 hour week. That would be bad for anyone, but I was working as a cave guide. (Yeah, seriously) I was tired all the time too. No, not just tired, totally wrecked. My boss was such a jerk. He'd chew me out for sitting down at the information desk. I had so many food aversions . I had to stop drinking my morning tea, which was heartbreaking. ( Yes I actually cried over it. So add emotional to the list) If ginger, lemons, or saltines or anti-nausea meds work for you that is awesome. If not, as someone else has said, it will pass. And it will totally be worth it. In fact I'm hoping to do it all again very soon!
QUOTE(cranberrigirl @ Aug 24 2006, 05:44 PM) *

okay, 3rd day in 3 weeks I have not puked my brains out. I do not feel sick.. I still have major food adversions. I cant even open my lettuce drawer in the fridge. Not into salad right not. AT ALL. (which is SO BiZArre, cuz thats what I usually eat.

I love alot of apples and banana yogurt. But Im much more tired now. Im taking more naps than ever. Actually im yawning right now and it 745pm.
I hope you all are well..
Good luck vibes...

+Quote Post

224 Pages V  « < 216 217 218 219 220 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 23, 2014 - 03:24 PM