Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

271 Pages V  « < 230 231 232 233 234 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
beetlegrl
post Nov 8 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #4621

BUSTie

Thanks so much for the timely responses!!

As for the compounding pharmacy, we have one in the area and was told that a script is required by FL state law for anything made in their facility.....so once again.....have to go to the Doc for any help, which if I look enough I'm sure I'll learn that's a scam.......

As for the pill for me, it really isn't necessary since I've had a tubal ligation years ago because I decided if I ever wanted kids, I would adopt, the only reason I take it is because of my periods and how painful they are....but after this little extravaganza I think I'll take a painful period over BV issues anyday.

I'm pretty sure the HP douche I did last night is working, I have no discharge and no odor, so hopefully this is my answer since I'm going to have to go on a scavenger hunt for the capsules to make my own boric acid supp.

thanks again, and I will keep the updates coming....

Oh and neverending: the Cirque rocks!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 8 2006, 09:25 AM
Post #4622

Hardcore BUSTie

Beetlegrl--try calling your local pharmacists to see if they do any custom compounding. If they do, chances are good they make up the boric acid suppositories to sell over the counter. I would also call around to any of the health food stores nearby and the Whole Foods to see if they stock them, that way you won't feel like you've had to drive an hour out of your way.

Making the capsules up one by one is a bummer, but it isn't so bad if it's your only choice. It cuts the costs down considerably, though you do have to do a bit of calculating to see exactly how much of the boric acid you're putting into each cap.

As for why isn't there a pill for the guy, well, the answer to that question is multi-layered, economic, and political. And it all comes down to the fact that though "medical science" behind pharmaceutical drug producers won't pay attention to or study the hormonal realities of women's bodies enough to never cause harm with their formulations yet still feel like they can experiment on us, they don't feel they can sell a birth control pill to men, who wouldn't be operating under a similar type of responsibility or desperation regarding fertility control. Society simply doesn't force men to bear the full responsibility of unwanted or unplanned pregnancy as it does women: hence, men would make a lousy market for the drug. Ugly but true. Especially since, ever since I was a small child, I've been hearing about how the male birth control pill is just a scant "10 years away". It's more than 30 years later, and they're still saying "10 more years!"

But there are other options which won't have such a long term impact on your glandular function and hormonal balance and health.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
latinrican
post Nov 8 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #4623

BUSTie

Thanks, chacha for the recipe.... I will definitely try it. I'll let you know if I have any problems with making it.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Nov 8 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #4624

Hardcore BUSTie

Update: This was my second night on the estroil suppositories and the discharge is gone for now.I hope I don't have to go back on birth control. The treatment takes about 3 weeks so I will keep everyone updated.

beetlegrl:I KNOW THIS IS OFF SUBJECT BUT I JUST HAD TO SAY I LOVE CIRQUE DU SOLEIL.

+Quote Post
beetlegrl
post Nov 8 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #4625

BUSTie

neverending: I didn't have BV problems with Ortho-tricyclen, but with the seasonale, I seem to live with with it. BC pills are the DEVIL. Why is there STILL not a pill for the GUY??

I tried the HP douche last night and laughed so hard while trying to hold it in Cirque du soleil style, I'm not sure it was in long enough. Will try again tonight-minus the laughs I hope. It didn't help that the hubby was cracking jokes the whole time....maybe throw him out during the escapade.

Also: they don't sell the boric acid suppositories anywhere near me, but I do have a whole foods about an hour from me, maybe I'll try them? Probably will end up having to make my own.

+Quote Post
neverending
post Nov 7 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #4626

Hardcore BUSTie

beetlegrl: I just wanted to let you know that I too have never had problems with my body until I started taking birth control.This sucks!

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 7 2006, 03:08 PM
Post #4627

Hardcore BUSTie

Sorry about the double post, but I forgot to post the recipe for the Beet Kvass drink for latinrican and anyone who might like to give it a try.

You need:

3 medium sized or 2 large sized organic beets, peeled and chopped
filtered water (like from a Brita)
1 tablespoon sea salt
1/4 cup homemade whey (recipe below)

Don't grate your beets or you might end up with an alcoholic drink as opposed to just a fermented one...which really won't be as good as it might sound. Just chop them coursely so that their sugary juice is released in limited amounts, and it will ferment at a much slower rate.

Also, try to find the very best beets--organic, high nutrient, as fresh as possible. This will make a profound difference in the drink's effectiveness.

First: make your whey. For this, you need about a quart of really good quality, organic plain whole yogurt.
(do not use low fat versions, and if you can get a raw milk yogurt that's even better. You need the active culture from the yogurt which concentrates in the whey). Alternately, you can use about a quart of raw milk which you'll sour until it turns into curds and whey.

You need a colander and a clean kitchen towel (or cheesecloth, which works well too) and a glass or ceramic bowl to place underneath the colander. Line the colander with the towel, and then place the yogurt or soured milk inside the colander. Cover this with a plate or a towel, and leave it overnight. The whey will drip into the bowl.

The next day, tie up the ends of the towel, yogurt inside, with string, and suspend this by tying it to a spoon suspended over a deep container. Transfer the whey that you've already collected to a clean clear and refrigerate (this will keep several months in there). More whey will drip out of the suspended yogurt over the next day or so, which you can add to the jar. Once you've collected that, you'll find the yogurt has been drained of the whey and turned into a really rich, very healthy cream cheese, which you can also eat (or use to make a hell of a cheesecake).

I like to put all the yogurt as it drains in the fridge, as I'm not that crazy about the sour taste the cheese gets if you leave it out. The fridge temperature won't kill off any of the live culture and I prefer the way the cheese tastes; you might too.

Okay, you need a 1/4 cup of this to make your kvass.

So..

Place your chopped beets, whey, and salt in a 2 quart glass container (a pitcher is best). Addfiltered water to fill the container. Stir well and cover securely. Keep this at room temperature forthe next 2 days before transferring it to the refrigerator. Pour it through a strainer to serve. It should be a little bit bubbly, but it will taste like beets only a little bit medicinal (it's not delicious, but it's also far from bad).

Drink 4 ounces of this two times a day.

When most of the liquid has been drunk you can fill up the container with filtered water again and keep it at room temperature for another 2 days. The resulting brew will be less strong than the first, but still good.

After the second brew, you'll have to start again with fresh beets, water,and salt, but you can save 1/4 cup of the original liquid to use as your inoculant instead of whey.

If you do decide to do this, let me know how it goes.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
beetlegrl
post Nov 7 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #4628

BUSTie

thanks chacha....

I do know it's BV only because I have been to my reg Doc for it, which of course was given metronidizole to cure (which it did for a while) and also been to my gyno TWICE and he told me it would just go away on it's own. Well guess what, it HASN'T. So here I am.

I am really not into taking meds for anything, but decided to try seasonale due to my heavy periods. I don't need to be on any BC due to a tubal I had about 4 yrs ago. I really think it's the pill giving me this since I have NEVER EVER had problems before and have had the same boy for 4+ yrs, and I get my annual PAPs religously. Not to mention, you treat BV with antibiotics and woo hoo, now were are in yeast infection hell!

At this point I'm willing to try anything NATURAL....oh and I'm staving off the seasonale.....I am at the end of the pack last week, so I'm not takin no' mo.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 7 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #4629

Hardcore BUSTie

You can buy boric acid suppositories over the counter or through a compounding pharmacist who will make them up for you. The usual dose routine is a 14 day supply of 600g. boric acid suppositories, which you take one or two times a day. The Yeast Arrest someone posted about on here seems to be one brand name. Check the ingredients to be sure.

There is an ovule product that contains hydrastis and calendula--these are clear gold in colour, and they are made by boiron. It's an herbal product many women use successfully to relieve the symptoms of their yeast. I don't see why it wouldn't work for BV as calendula and hydrastis (golden seal) are both disinfecting agents. You would likely find the Boiron pruduct in your health food store or a pharmacy which sells high quality alternative medicine supplements.

Symptoms which look like yeast often result from hormonal imbalance, so if you are using the birth control pill or any kind of hormone product, (this includes asthma sufferers, too, who might use cortico-steroids) you will not be balanced hormonally, which will make you susceptible to yeast or BV (and many other things, but let's stick to these for now). You might want to make certain what you have is indeed yeast or BV before treating an ailment you don't really have--then you can figure out what's really going on and take it from there with more suitable treatments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
beetlegrl
post Nov 7 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #4630

BUSTie

Hello everyone,

Well, here I was searching the internet AGAIN, for some natural BV remedies and stumbled upon this forum. WOW....while it might not be PC to say, but I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one with this. I was really getting depressed over this.

I have tried the acidophillus pills, both orally and the suppositories. I have been drinking this stuff called BioK+ which is helping, but only for a day or two.

After reading all the inputs on here, I'm thinking of starting the HP douche and possibly the Boric Acid stuff.

I also noticed their is a natural Doc in here and I am searching for one in my area, the closest one to me is about an hour.

Before I get my appt with the Doc, I am curious to know the best way to use the Boric Acid, I have to admit, some of the after effects I've read on here have me somewhat suspicous of it.

I also read on here where someone starting getting this after taking seasonale, which is when I got it too, I'm wondering if there is a direct correllation between this? I've had other BC's and no problems....just a thought.

+Quote Post
latinrican
post Nov 7 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #4631

BUSTie

chachaheels...

Thank you!!! My grandmother drunk the kombucha drink as if she was drinking water..lol. I did like the fact that I was so energized when I was drinking it so I am starting it up again. I am willing to try Kvass, so yes...please post the recipe.

+Quote Post
Lebrat
post Nov 7 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #4632

Hi Ladies,

Glad I found you all. After reading, I am going to try the Yeast Arrest to help with my embarassing odor. One question though. Is it safe for my partner to perform oral sex while I'm using boric acid? The stuff is poison, right? So could he get sick from doing this? Thanks. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
qjo
post Nov 7 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #4633

QUOTE(pympmama1 @ Nov 4 2006, 04:36 AM) *

Has anyone tried the hydrogen peroxide and boric acid... in rotation of each other..... example ... every night the HP and then once a week the boric acid.... The boric acid does work ... but only until that time of the month.... and then the smell returns I was think of mixing the two regimes and seeing if it works..... any feed back would be helpful

Still battling with BV. For the past few months I've found some reprieve with first acidophilus milk/water , hydrogen peroxide and water and betadine and water douches. The first course of treatment yielded the longest results. I used hydrogen peroxide/water in the morning and acidophilus milk/water or kefir milk/water at night for about two weeks. I had no malodor or symptoms for a month even after my period but then one day I noticed a light malodor. Suffice to say I was very angry.
I began the hydrogen peroxide and water regimen again but found that if I missed more than a day mild symptoms would begin to surface.

I stopped using the hydrogen peroxide and moved on to Tea Treel Oil suppositories which seem to do nothing for BV but are good for yeast.

Next I began using betadine and water douches but much like the other regimens it yielded temporary results. The results never lasted as long as the the one month symptom free results I achieved with the hydrogen peroxide and acidophilus regimen. If I stopped for a day the mild symptoms would return.

It's been three months yet I remain vigilant in my efforts to remedy this ailment without resorting to antibiotics. Currently I take Natren probiotic(orally) while now using the Yeast Arrest by Vitanic Boric acid (600mg) suppositories. They also contain Calendula and Oregon Grape Root. I take Garlique as well. I noticed results after the very first insert of the Yeast Arrest suppository. I inserted the first capsule on Friday November 3rd before bed and have used them once in the morning and once at night ever since. I am on day 5 now and still no symptoms. I bought a supply of 28 suppositories which will allow me to continue twice a day for 14 days. The malodor is gone; however i plan to purchase more, along with Candaclear (acidophilus suppository) that I saw at Whole Foods. Candaclear is a probiotic suppository that is recommended as a part of the BV protocol by rockwell nutrition. I will also try to find another good oral probiotic like Jarrow to take longterm.

There is a lot of maintenance, money and patience required in treating/curing bv whether naturally or with prescriptions. After being on and off antibiotics for the past 5 years I've decided that enough is enough. If after about two months of occassional protected sex and using the Yeast Arrest, Candaclear suppositories, Garlique daily and an oral probiotic I don't see improvements I will try the flagyl orally again.

This time, however, I'll take it while using the Yeast Arrest suppositories for about a week or more (to acidify the vagina and restore the pH) and then using the Candaclear for two weeks (to replenish the good bacteria) while taking a acidophilus orally. This should work. Recurrent BV needs considerate yet aggressive treatment and maintenance.

I do believe that maintenance -like no unprotected sex for 3 months or more, boric acid for a few days out of the month like maybe during my period and ongoing consumption of garlique tabs and acidophilus as a life long regimen- will be necessary even after desired results are achieved.

Good luck to you all and I will keep you posted.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 7 2006, 04:07 AM
Post #4634

Hardcore BUSTie

Latinrican, I doubt you did anything wrong! The kombucha may not have had any effects for any number of reasons. It's supposed to provide a general support, which should enable your body to do whatever it's got to do to cure itself (like any "boost" for the immune system) but sometimes (many times) there are other factors at work that have to be considered or changed (are there any hormonal drugs being used? Is there a problem with sex partners and re-infecting yourself through contact with them? Could there be other maintaining causes which keep you susceptible?). I don't think you should do more than 2 cups a day unless you want to. How much of the kombucha did your grandmother drink?

The kvass might be a better option for you than the kombucha (course, it doesn't taste as good but it is an option to use for a short amount of time). It's the same idea but maybe the kombucha mushroom is not as effective for you as a lacto-fermented kvass might be. Want to try it? I can post the recipe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
neverending
post Nov 6 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #4635

Hardcore BUSTie

I just received my estroil suppositories. smile.gif
WISH ME LUCK!

+Quote Post
klee
post Nov 6 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #4636

BUSTie

Hey sassy - yes, hydrogen peroxide that we buy is already at 3%. That's the percentage being used in the studies I posted a week or so ago. And since I don't have a syringe, I grabbed a small funnel that I did have and hoised my hips up in the tub. I pour HP into the funnel and keep balanced. The nice thing about the funnel is that if you keep it in place, the HP will stay put for the entire 3 minutes.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
latinrican
post Nov 6 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #4637

BUSTie

Chachaheels,

Its funny that you mention Kombucha because my grandmother is a true Kombucha fanatic and I've witnessed the miracles that drink has done to my grandmother and so I ordered it just to see if my symptoms will get better and they didn't. I was drinking it at least 2 cups per day for a looooong time and didnt see any improvements so I stopped drinking it. I was just thinking this weekend about going back into drinking it everyday just to see since I still have it. Can I ask your opinion if 2 cups per day was enough? or if I may have been doing something wrong?

+Quote Post
sassy
post Nov 6 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #4638

Hardcore BUSTie

klee--You just used plain, undiluted hydrogen peroxide?? Did you just sort of put your vagina at a tilted angle and pour some in it?

+Quote Post
klee
post Nov 5 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #4639

BUSTie

I did the peroxide straight from the bottle for 3 days only. I guess a week is okay to do, based on what I've read, but perhaps not more than that. I don't think I needed as much as I did but seeing as how it's so cheap, I didn't worry about it too much. At any rate, everything is kosher in the cooch. Much more than when I'm doing boric actually. I've noticed just today, after not doing the peroxide thing for two days, I had a small bit of the clear sticky discharge like I used to have mid-month when my vagina was super healthy!!! This is so encouraging to me, despite the fact that I used to hate having that weird discharge.

There is absolutely no smell and you might notice a bit of chunkier discharge the day after the wash - it clears out and then there is very little...also like when things are healthy! Haven't eaten yogurt in about 4 days. I'll try to remember to post an update after my period.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Nov 5 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #4640

Hardcore BUSTie

For what it's worth, and stated purely as a means of public service:

When someone suggests finding alternative medicines to treat a chronic condition which conventional medicine cannot treat, they don't mean "go to the drugstore and see what's labelled "alternative" on the shelves. They mean seek out an experienced, well trained practitioner who uses an alternative medical system which CAN treat your illness. Or, at least, they should mean that.

There is no such thing as just an alternative medicine to treat a particular ailment. There is no such thing as an alternative medicine to treat a chronic disease. No medical substance works that way--you need to undergo a process of treatment and case management, not just a dose or two of some mineral or vegetable substance from a drugstore shelf.

I treat patients with yeast infections, BV, endometriosis, fibroids, hormonal imbalances which directly affect things like BV and yeast all the time with homeopathy. But I treat patients. Not BV, or endo, or fibroids, or hormonally influenced illnesses like yeast (and BV). Those ailments are just a bunch of symptoms, among many, which show me that the patient is expressing that sickness physically (and mentally, too). If I just used one of the medicines I have in my kit to just get rid of the symptoms of BV and nothing else, my patient would (guaranteed) become much sicker--and it might take me years to find out exactly how much sicker, too. If I treat the patient with the right medicines specifically chosen for her case (among which the BV will only be one aspect) then my patient's own body will have everything it needs to get rid of the BV for good, as well as address all the factors (physiological as well as mental/emotional and spiritual too) which made them susceptible to an illness like BV.

If you haven't worked with a practitioner to treat this (not someone who knows about a couple of items you can find in the health food store, but has no real training in any alternative medical system), you haven't tried alternative medicines. You've just gone to the store and picked out supplements or dietary aids like the acidophilus. It is impossible to get results this way.

Making Progress, lactofermented foods of all kinds do much more to support the body's immune system's response and overall health, which creates the conditions by which the body can heal itself. You don't take them as a kind of "natural" anti-biotic, you take them to make the body more effective at doing what it's supposed to do--curing this thing itself. So, yes, Making Progress, there's a ton of science and research (including long term, cross cultural, research--pretty rare in science, but certainly very valuable) to suggest that lactofermented foods are absolutely necessary to achieve and maintain optimum health.

Anti-candida diets, in a word, don't work. They can be helpful for some people in that they temporarily relieve some of the symptoms as long as they're followed religiously, with no deviation; but they don't provide enough nutritional variety to sustain anyone over the long term (and they are untenable, let's face it). If they only work as long as they're followed, they're not curing or treating anything, either; they're just suppressing the illness, and that is never good.

If you're opposed to taking the acidophilus, you can try things like kombucha or kvass--these work very quickly at boosting immune function significantly, and some people prefer them to using acidophilus because they can make them themselves and they taste good.

Perhaps, Making Progress, you get better not from cutting out lactofermented foods but from addressing a deep B vitamin deficiency--lots of people suffer from this and it rarely gets diagnosed. It was a good idea for you to point out the need for B vitamins. I would suggest, however, that since the vast majority of breads which claim to be "whole wheat" on the market are not whole wheat in any way (ever seen how those breads are actually made?), supplementation with injectible or sublingual drops or tablets with B12 and B6 might work better all around.

--------------------

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 230 231 232 233 234 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: July 29, 2014 - 08:41 AM