Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When The Food You Love Hates You
lananans
post Sep 19 2009, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Hardcore BUSTie

I think I'm allergic to milk/dairy. My boyfriend is in med school and knows a little bit about these things, and he says that he doesn't think it's lactose intolerance because I throw up whenever I have it, instead of having 'lower' problems.. I love ice cream and cheese but I'm going to have to cut them out. Last week I ate an ice cream cone and then I came home and had to lie still or else I felt like I would barf. Not good.

Anyone else have a similar reaction? I should probably go get tested to see what it is exactly..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ketto
post Sep 18 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #2

Hardcore BUSTie

I was really bad for diet coke too. I switched to caffeine free and in a few weeks I totally stopped craving them. CF doesn't have the same 'bite' but after a few days you get used to it. I'm really really glad I made the switch because I was effectively able to cut them out almost completely. If I didnt live with my parents I don't think I'd even buy them. When I was a diet coke head I would have 3-5 a day. Blech.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
MsSassyPants
post Sep 18 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #3

I'm a Diet Coke fanatic too! Have 3 a day sometimes. Been trying to diet lately, so eating a lot less, notice that it does give me heart burn if I drink too much on an empty stomach. Ugh!

+Quote Post
kittenb
post Aug 29 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #4

There is nothing ironic about Show Choir!

the other irony is that my heartburn is no doubt intimately associated with diet coke--A FOOD I LOVE THAT HATES ME.

And here I was thinking that I had no reason to post here. I woke up this morning craving Coke Zero. This is very unusual for me as I normally stay away from caffeine until lunchtime. I recently started connecting Coke Zero w/my returning heartburn. I can have some but, when I indulge in too much, the burn kicks in.

--------------------
In times of destruction, create something.
MHK

+Quote Post
crazyoldcatlady
post Aug 14 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #5

the moistiest

i had indian food last night and it DESTROYED me today. why?? it's so tasty! and vegetarian friendly!!

luleely & nodoubt: i feel your (epigastric) pain.

the other irony is that my heartburn is no doubt intimately associated with diet coke--A FOOD I LOVE THAT HATES ME.

off to brew some soothing peppermint tea...

+Quote Post
ketto
post Aug 3 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #6

Hardcore BUSTie

I'm getting a 2nd test for celiac in two weeks. If this one comes back negative as well I'm just switching to the diet. I was eating it for 3 weeks and felt a lot better but my doctor wants to confirm it. I can't eat eggs by themselves anymore, dairy makes me quite sick, and gluten is really fucking with me too.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jul 27 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Hardcore BUSTie

Yeah, I'm feeling good about this. We aren't going to be 100% sure about the intolerance until I do the blood test, but we're pretty certain about the things that will turn up.

I peeked at the links you both shared, they give me hope! I wish I could cut this stuff out before the test, (it's going to be a bit of a wait since my insurance doesn't cover it), I'm looking forward to feeling better.

Thank you both

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
stargazer
post Jul 25 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #8

brown delicious

girl_logic, congrats on making changes in how you eat! i found out my food sensitivities when i went to a naturopath in 2006. best thing i ever did. i'm more aware of how my body processes (or doesn't) process the foods i eat. Living Without Magazine is a good resource and can be found at Whole Foods. I've made alot of changes in my diet as a result. As a result of food allergies and sensitivities, some restaurants have gluten-free options. There really is alot on the market nowadays for people who eat differently so consider yourself fortunate. It will feel crazy in the beginning 'cause you are making changes in how you eat, but, you will appreciate it in the long run.

--------------------
"I'm not impressed easily. Wow! A blue car!"-Homer Simpson

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Jul 24 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #9

Hardcore BUSTie

Girl - I'm celiac, and have been gluten-free for 7 years! It is a transition, but once you get the hang of things, it's pretty easy and becomes automatic...and I assure you the health benefits are so worth it - I'm truly healthy for the first time in my life. A good reference on the medical aspects is the book by Dr. Peter Green. My favorite blog is glutenfreegirl.com, and I blog recipes as well (though I'm nowhere near as good a writer/photographer as glutenfreegirl). Anyway, if you have any questions - let me know. Just remember that you need to have been eating gluten when you have the test, so don't go gluten-free just yet.

+Quote Post
girl_logic
post Jul 24 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #10

Hardcore BUSTie

Is anyone doing a gluten-free diet? Is it insane? I'm booking a test for celiac in a few weeks.

--------------------
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. - zora neale hurston

+Quote Post
knorl05
post Nov 5 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Hardcore BUSTie

i have found drinking plenty of water helps with keeping acid levels at bay. i also only eat in moderation and stop eating once i am full.

--------------------
We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
- M.C. Escher

+Quote Post
nodoubt714
post Nov 4 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(luleey @ Oct 11 2006, 03:12 PM) *

quick change of subject post...newbie to this thread, and don't know if you guys talk about heartburn type stuff here or not? i seem to be getting it, or something with my stomach/esophagus and it really sucks. does anyone else have experience with it or should i post on the general thread instead? thanks.

I have had acid reflux since I was about 16. Some of the foods you need to stay away from are: citrus fruits, chocolate sad.gif, things with tomatoes sauce in them, coffee, and soda. I was also told not to drink out of a straw or eat things like salads where I would have to take lots of small bits. So basically, I cannot (or at least am not suppose to) eat everything I like!

If you do not experience heartburn regularly, than you might not have acid reflux. If the problem is persistent, than I would check with a doctor if I were you. This kind of pain is some of the worst pain I have ever experienced!

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Oct 12 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #13

Hardcore BUSTie

pepper, I'll admit that I really don't like any of the boxed teas that include licorice root - its not so much that they taste earthy to me, as that they taste - dusty...I think they use the tiniest little slivers of the root. I just by the licorice root in bulk, so I can add it to whatever tea I'm having - and you only need the tiniest amount.

Here's where I order mine from: Culinary Teas. They're other teas are great too, and I love ordering a smattering of their samples of their herbal teas so I can try new things.

Hmmm....that's really interesting about the differences in caffeine between tea and coffee. I don't enjoy what caffeine does to my body in any amount...it makes me feel too wired, and can send my heart off on a wild irregularly beating rampage, so I just stick to the herbals.

In fact, I'm sipping a pot of my mint-licorice right now. Perfect for the first really cold morning of the season.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 12 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #14

Hardcore BUSTie

Licorice is a natural sweetener, and it's been used that way for centuries--but it is also a stimulant and some people can't handle its effects. Personally I love the taste of licorice/aniseed/fennel...all the same thing: but I know a lot of people who can't stand it. To each his own.

It is, by the way, what many people use to treat heartburn.
Heartburn's main cause is a lack of hydrochloric acid (you are not producing enough). This usually points to a zinc shortage in the diet, as well as a salt imbalance (you need both to produce enough hydrochloric acid for proper digestion). You might want to try using a good quality sea salt instead of plain old sodium chloride table salt (the Celtic or Britanny sea salt from France is rich with minerals you need, coarse, and can be found and used easily enough); and adding zinc rich foods to your diet (or supplementing with trace minerals including zinc).

Other causes you might want to rule out or look out for: everytime I get heartburn symptoms, I know I am eating too many refined carbs. Too much sugar, too much bread, too much pasta. It's a signal for me to scale back and focus on more protein rich foods and green and yellow vegetables--leafy ones especially.
Others suffer from clothes which actually constrict the midsection, as these actually force the sphincter leading from the stomach to the esophagus open; when this happens the acidic contents in the stomach are also forced into the esophagus, which simply isn't equipped to handle the acidity. Try to avoid lying down after eating (this can make the problem worse just because of gravity--the forced acid will just travel along the esophagus further).
Smoking is yet another cause; and never rule out the effects of conflicts with other people--or situations which affect you on an emotional level, which will make you susceptible no matter what you eat. Usually when there is irritation or burning in the body, someone or something about your life is irritating you or "burning you up"; remove yourself from the situation till you can feel better, then do what you must to resolve it.
First aid: don't bother using things like Tums or Rolaids--they only work suppressively, and they ensure that the heartburn will come back. One of the best home remedies is to take some apple cider vinegar and drink it down. You don't need a lot, just a little bit; it will tell your body there is enough acidity in the stomach, proper digestion will resume, and the symptoms will stop.

Green tea does have caffeine, but you know, caffeine is a viable anti-oxidant and it does have many benefits for the body. All black teas have caffeine (and green tea is made from the same plant as black tea) but the body actually uses the caffeine from tea differently from the caffeine from sources like coffee. Both drinks actually contain far more "active ingredients" than just that stimulant; the effect of each substance on the body is phenomenally different. We make remedies from each substance in homeopathy--and believe me, the mental/emotional changes resulting from tea are a whole world apart from the ones brought on from coffee; tea actually produces a (worst case scenario) murderous mindset, especially towards children!; coffee produces a mental state that is social and altruistic, intellectually creative, and happy ("ailments from excessive joy" is one of it's big markers).

But I'm kinda digressing--my point is the green tea sounds lovely and if you like it without sweetener, go right ahead. One of my favourite black teas to have with just milk is Chai--I'm not crazy about the Yogi Indian Chai blend (too much ginseng, which is not necessary) so I just try and make up my own. The cinnamon usually gives it just enough sweetness so I never feel like I need to add it.

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 11 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #15

it always tastes so, uh, earthy to me tj. i do love that yogi tea, don't know how they manage to get it so tasty but it is.

+Quote Post
turbojenn
post Oct 11 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #16

Hardcore BUSTie

luleey - I'm no help I'm afraid on the heartburn/reflux issue, but stick around someone may have advice for you...posting the general health thread certainly couldn't hurt.

pepper, I also find that adding a tiny bit of licorice root to my herbal teas while they steep adds a delicous natural sweetness to your tea. My favorite is mint tea brewed strong with licorice, I use about a 2:1 ratio of mint to licorice.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 11 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #17

chacha, i've discovered dragon pearl tea recently. it's the only herbal tea i like without sweetner in it but it might be caffeinated (green tea base?). i'll have to check that out.
when i thirst i reach for a glass of wine. not really a great solution.
i think there's a practitioner in town who blends naturo and homeo, i'll ask around.

+Quote Post
luleey
post Oct 11 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #18

Hardcore BUSTie

quick change of subject post...newbie to this thread, and don't know if you guys talk about heartburn type stuff here or not? i seem to be getting it, or something with my stomach/esophagus and it really sucks. does anyone else have experience with it or should i post on the general thread instead? thanks.

+Quote Post
chachaheels
post Oct 11 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #19

Hardcore BUSTie

I second the recommendation to get someone who's qualified to look after you and finally get rid of this problem once and for all. A naturopath can be good--but personally, I think homeopathy accomplishes far more, uses far more effective and inexpensive medicines, which act much more quickly and permanently. So I'd always recommend that.

The diet/nutrition thing is iffy, just because there is so much variation and conflict about what constitutes a good, healthy diet. I know a few naturopaths who do think the same way I do about nutrition--but the majority will do a variation of a low fat/high supplementation/mainly vegetarian thing with you and promote tons of foods like soy, because so many of them are still taught/teaching that. Sure, it's a good idea to avoid foods that cause a problem--but only until you've found a way to treat the problem. It's not a good idea to avoid foods you're sensitive to forever. That only leads to your having more sensitivities to more foods as time goes on.

Food's important for maintaining health, yes, but it's just one thing: and the most important thing I ever learned in my holistic nutrition studies was "Don't fuck with peoples' food". Luckily, with homeopathy, you don't need to. In any case, it's time you seriously thought about undergoing a viable alternative treatment with someone who is trained to work with you to get you well again. TCM is more than just acupuncture--if you've got a friend who is well trained in TCM and you don't mind working with herbs on a long term basis, why not see if she/he will take on your case?

About hydration: water's the best thing, and I hate drinking it too. I will avoid it whenever possible.
But I will also do things like make sure I have alternatives I can deal with: so, for me, that's making pots of fruit or herb tea that I like, and keeping it cold for whenever I feel like I should have something to drink. I don't need to sweeten them, and I like the taste; and if I have a few on hand I have a lot of variety and I don't resort to drinking softdrinks (cause I am addicted to the fizziness of carbonated drinks).

--------------------
May suitable doses of guaranteed sensual pleasure and slow, long-lasting enjoyment preserve us from the contagion of the multitude who mistake frenzy for efficiency.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 9 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #20

maude, i can't actually remember the last time i went to a naturopath actually. i've been self-healing for so many years, i haven't had the need. i did go to a tcm student clinic last month but only because my neighbour is in her fifth year and needs people to practice on. it was... interesting. let's just say that acupuncture is Not my cup of tea.
a naturopath may be in the cards for future though. it's been not so terrible over the weekend but there is still some bubbly tummy that is irritating to say the least.
chacha, i hardly drink any water at all, a habit from raw days since fresh fruits and veg are so full of liquid. now that i eat grains and such i should probably start drinking more water but i just don't like to.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 2, 2014 - 05:58 PM