The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plus size girls are there any cool clothes out there for us ?
lananans
post Nov 20 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #101

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(octobersky @ Nov 18 2008, 07:48 PM) *
Seven Jeans do come in sizes 14 and 16 I found some at my local TJ Maxx. They really fit well, have a higher rise in the back and dip below my bellybutton in the front, I think they are flattering. There was a nice selection of washes and styles at the store. I'm not sure what department store had them before they were bought out by TJ Maxx, but you could always check the bigger name ones like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Von Maur and Sak's.

I live in Canada, so none of those stores are accessible, but that's alright. If I really think about it, the last thing I need right now is another pair of jeans. I have about seven pairs, but I only wear one, the size 14's... the others are all either 12's which are still too small for me right now, or the 16's, which are too big. Plus I am poor, so that curbs my shopping habit, haha.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Nov 18 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #102

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(crinoline @ Nov 18 2008, 05:33 PM) *
Oh, how I love TJ Maxx. Marshalls might have them too.

My Mom just got this dress for a formal Ball. I think it's gawgeous!!
Now, what shoes (up to mid-heel) and hairstyle (chin length) do y'all think should be the icing on the cake?

That's a beautiful dress, Crino. Did your mom get it in the same blue color? If so, I like the way the model wearing the dress is styled: hair in loose waves and strappy heels. The dress itself is the real feature and I can imagine that anyone wearing it will automatically look fabulous in it, so they don't need to do too much else to dress it up. The only thing I might add is something sparkly at the neckline - some costume jewelry, particularly sparkly faux diamonds, and perhaps a sparkly faux diamond cocktail ring. Or if your mom's got the real thing, go for it!

--------------------
I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.
-Mae West

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Nov 18 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #103

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh, how I love TJ Maxx. Marshalls might have them too.

My Mom just got this dress for a formal Ball. I think it's gawgeous!!
Now, what shoes (up to mid-heel) and hairstyle (chin length) do y'all think should be the icing on the cake?

lananans - I love that dress, it's very classic /flattering. It would be great for holiday parties!

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Nov 18 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #104

Hardcore BUSTie

Seven Jeans do come in sizes 14 and 16 I found some at my local TJ Maxx. They really fit well, have a higher rise in the back and dip below my bellybutton in the front, I think they are flattering. There was a nice selection of washes and styles at the store. I'm not sure what department store had them before they were bought out by TJ Maxx, but you could always check the bigger name ones like Macy's, Nordstrom's, Von Maur and Sak's.

+Quote Post
lananans
post Nov 16 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #105

Hardcore BUSTie

Ooo crinoline - i love those jeans.

And the dresses! I am dying over anything purple right now, so I love THIS ONE

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Nov 13 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #106

Hardcore BUSTie

lananans, for higher end well fitting jeans - have you tried SVOBODA? They have some beautiful options in premium denim.

some cute retailers with hawt dresses:
IGIGI
Kiyonna

--------------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crinolinecreations Handmade accessories for the SuperCute!

+Quote Post
lananans
post Nov 5 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #107

Hardcore BUSTie

Are there any higher end, really well fitting jeans for someone who is a 14/16... I love all my friends fancy jeans but they only go up to 32, and that is just not happening. It also makes me angry that they only go up to the size 32. Like what the hell, people bigger than that don't deserve to have nice jeans as well???

Don't get me wrong, I love my gap jeans, but they're getting kind of... tired.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 28 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #108

Big Fat Bitch

Proph, I have that dress in two diff colours & it always looks HAWT!

I've got two words for you ladies on boots with skinny calves: shoe guy. (I've always had thick calves, they're a leftover from my track/tennis days & since I walk almost everywhere I go, they've never gone down. I have calves like Popeye!) One day on lunch I wandered into the cool cobbler shop down the street from where I worked. They were selling this absolutely gorgeous pair of boots that somebody had never picked up. I adored them, tried them on . . . & no go. Shoe guy said I looked too good in them not to have them & inserted discreet elastic gore inserts into the inner tops of the boots & voila! They fit my calves perfectly & I did indeed look smokin' hot in them.

BareNecessities.com has a few of the good Hue tights, but they seem to have been discontinued in the really funky colours. Cheaper, too than welovecolors.com, 2 for $20.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
octobersky
post Oct 23 2008, 02:44 PM
Post #109

Hardcore BUSTie

I totally have the same problem with boots not zipping over my calves properly. It's strange because regardless of what size I have ranged from (10-16) they still don't zip. I used to feel really bad about myself and my supposed monstrous calves, but then when a good friend - who is all of a size 2 or 4 but quite atheletic had the same issue, I stopped beating myself up over it. Just how small do one's calves have to be to fit into the boots? Heaven forbid we women have any muscle tone or anything...

Currently I have two pairs of boots that do fit my calves and they are more the pull-on style of boot - no zips. The other pairs I have I just don't zip them all the way up and wear them with pants. Nobody is any the wiser.

Thirtiesgirl - I had a similar situation in Jacobson's once. I had to be fitted for a bridesmaid's dress and it was a horrible experience. I was about a size 16, maybe 18 and the woman was a total bitch to me. She yelled my measurements across the fitting room and then made a few snide comments about how I needed a size 22 or 24 (???) and that most designers don't go that high. She also made comments about me being a "big girl" how difficult it was going to be to alter a dress for such a "big girl." I walked out in tears - I was in a pretty fragile emotional state at the time. Now I would just tell her to go fuck herself and ask for the manager.

+Quote Post
prophecy_grrl
post Oct 23 2008, 02:14 PM
Post #110

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks for the additional site, thirties - the prices are much more reasonable. lananans, I really like spanx tights. they only come in the most basic colors at stores (you can get navy and burgundy on their web site), but they have a nice variety of patterns and I love the "two-timing" reversible ones. I find that they fit really well and last a long time (that goes for their regular pantyhose, too). Plus, I love that they have control-top fishnets and thigh highs in plus sizes.

I never thought I had particularly large calves either until I tried zipping up some boots when I was younger. I've never been super skinny, but I was a size 10 in high school and even then I couldn't zip boots past my ankles. I'm a size 16 now and my calf size hasn't changed all that much.

It's really strange and annoying to realize the ways all aspects of womens' size and shape are normalized - all the way down to calf width. I'm certainly aware that I'm carrying some extra junk (in my trunk and elsewhere), but I mostly see myself as pretty average in build so it's so frustrating to always have to shop in "special" stores for "special" sizes - from my bra to my boots. laugh.gif

This thread is really a great resource, though. I bought this dress from b&lu a few weeks ago and I must say, it looks great on. I'm wearing it out for our anniversary dinner on Saturday (with some spanx fishnets, perhaps?) Thanks ladies!

+Quote Post
lananans
post Oct 23 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #111

Hardcore BUSTie

Oh my goodness.. thanks for the recommendation of welovecolours. Tights have been my nemesis. And recently I have been wondering where to find some good opaque ones that will fit properly.

My mum bought me knee-high zip up winter boots two christmases ago, and I almost couldn't zip them. They *just* made it, but I remember thinking I was going to cry because I had asked for them specifically, and never thought they wouldn't zip. Eventually they stretched a bit.

It's nice to know that others have the same issues when it comes to this stuff.

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Oct 22 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #112

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for sharing, PG. I'll also share a website, onestopplus, which is a website for several plus size clothing catalogs and shoes, including wide calf boots. They have stuff from Roamans, Chadwicks, Avenue, Jessica London and more, and they're not as pricey as some sites. (I'm not a big fan of most of the clothes they stock, but I'll occasionally find a decent item.) Here is their selection of wide calf boots.

And now I'll share a story about the first time I attempted to shop for knee-high boots. About 10 years ago, shortly after I moved to LA and was making money in my first 'grown up' career as a legal assistant, I decided to go to Bloomingdales and buy myself a nice pair of boots to wear to work on rainy days. I was looking for something professional that I could wear with skirts, something knee-high with heels. I found an absolutely gorgeous pair of black knee-high boots at Bloomingdales, and after a 10 minute wait for a sales associate to help me, she finally brought out the boots. The second I tried them on, I knew I wouldn't be able to zip them over my calves. I'd never shopped for knee-high boots before, so I had no idea they might not fit over my apparently monstrous legs. But rather than suggest another pair of boots that might be better suited for my calf size or recommend another store that might carry something to fit me, the sales girl said in a mock concerned voice, "wow, sweetie, it looks like those boots aren't going to fit. You might not want to zip those up." I had no intention of zipping them up, but the sales girl was so dismissive that when she asked if I'd like her to find another pair, I told her no, she'd lost the sale, and I walked out of the store. I have not shopped at Bloomingdales since.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
prophecy_grrl
post Oct 22 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #113

Hardcore BUSTie

I've been looking for some tall boots to wear with skirts, but of course none of them fit around my calves. I'm looking leather and casual like riding boots (I have some dressier ones that are made of a faux-leather stretchy material). Anyway, I just found this site and thought I should share with you ladies in case anyone is on a similar quest: http://www.widewidths.com/ stuff is a little pricey, though. Also, Eddie Bauer has some on their web site http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Womens-Shoes-...Boots/index.cat.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Oct 7 2008, 06:11 AM
Post #114

Big Fat Bitch

QUOTE(candycane_girl @ Jul 15 2008, 11:47 PM) *
Would anyone happen to know where to get opaque tights in varying colours? I hate trying to look for plus size hosiery. Even Torrid doesn't have much selection.

Welovecolors.com has forty-five different colours of plus sized tights.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
crinoline
post Sep 20 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #115

Hardcore BUSTie

ap - I love the bubble hem trench on that website, and it's a good price!

I am loving the new fall line at kiyonna
Here are some examples:
perfect wrapdress
hawt skirt
nice jeans

...I'm webshopping for my Mom's birthday, but a lot of Kiyonna stuff is out of my price range...still so cute though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Sep 12 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #116

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(auralpoison @ Sep 12 2008, 03:48 AM) *

OMG, I have that green floral top on the opening page. I bought it at a cheap Korean owned plus size store. I love the top, though. So much fun to wear.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Sep 12 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #117

Big Fat Bitch

Some of this stuff is quite chic, some of it not so much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 10 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #118

Big Fat Bitch

They can be weird on the sizing, no doubt. The dress looked too tight out of the package, on it was perfect. I was glad I ordered it in black, too. The top I thought was going to be too small was perfect as well. The other two . . . fit okay in the boobage, blousy in the body. I think one looks okay, the other not so much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thirtiesgirl
post Aug 10 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #119

Hardcore BUSTie

*Very* cute dress, AP. I love b&lu stuff, but sometimes their clothes are cut a little weird. I just bought a top on their website that is a little too drapey on me. If I go a size smaller, it will be too tight around the boobs in an inappropriate, button-popping way, but if I stick with the size I've got, it looks a little bit like a Mrs. Roeper muumuu. Damn big boobs. They can make getting dressed so hard sometimes.

--------------------
-Mae West

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Aug 10 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #120

Big Fat Bitch

Well, it looks goooood on me! I have small shoulders, DDs, a small waist, & hips. The dress accentuates the things I *like* about most my body. My waist, a good shot of leg, & a peak o' cleavage. You'd think the ruffles would be weird, but in an odd way they almost minimize my bust. All in all, I am terribly cute in it with black tights & my patent oxfords.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 22, 2014 - 07:34 AM