The Lounge Guidelines Help Search Members Calendar Blogs

Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

97 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming healthy (or, "When did my bottom get so big?")
squirrelgirl88
post Jan 9 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #21

BUSTie

If you have $200 bucks to blow this month, do yourself a favor and GET ONE. Not only is it fun, but the games are not time-suck games like other consoles. Most levels/areas/etc. in Wii games take 10-20 min at a stretch, so you can play games and still have time to do other things. Also, the Wii exercise stuff is so fun!

Do it! Join me on my path to tighter thighs!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Jan 9 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #22

Hardcore BUSTie

Arrghhhh! I wish I had a wii!

+Quote Post
squirrelgirl88
post Jan 5 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #23

BUSTie

**Any BUSTies out there interested in joining a workout group on EA Active 2 for the Wii??**

I'm just getting back into the swing of working out and recently investing in the EA Sports Active 2 system for the Wii. I want to start up a workout group for BUSTies! Almost all of the people who are on Active 2 are either a) people who are extremely sporty or cool.gif people in other countries. Not that any of these things are bad! I would just like to have a workout group with some sassy ladies who find this whole working out/getting in shape thing just as frustrating/trying as I do!

Any interested parties reply to this entry and I'll send you the name and password for the group after I create it!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Jan 2 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #24

Hardcore BUSTie

Ok firstly lets get one thing cleared up, "toning" is such a misnomer of a word, in the true fitness industry it doesn't exist, it's a word made up by advertising execs. Our bodies can do a few things, they can lose weight, lose fat, and/or gain muscle. All of those things ARE different, and require different training.

IMO it sounds like you want to gain a little bit of muscle? If so do the strength DVDs, with medium-heavy weights. You WON'T bulk up like many women think, you'll just build a little muscle and maybe lose a small amount of fat (muscle burns fat, as well as the cardio you are already doing). Remember that working the pecs will help in the bust area a little. it won't give you more breast tissue but WILL give you a tiny boost from the pecs under the breast tissue.

You cannot spot reduce fat BUT you CAN spot increase muscle! That is the difference. Muscle WE can influence by training, and that means it gets bigger, so if you want a firmer, stronger, more defined butt, work it!

QUOTE(buttercups @ Jan 1 2011, 02:53 PM) *
This might be a question for spot-on or any of you other fitness gurus out there. I'm starting the firm- which combines weight training with cardio. I don't want to lose any weight, I am just doing this strictly to tone up and get stronger, plus I already run for about 4 miles/day. I am too skinny in many places as it is *cough * BOOBS *cough* and I really don't want to lose any little of what I have there. Is it possible for me to tone my body without really losing weight? I really don't want to get rid of what little curves that are there, but I don't know if this is possible since you can't spot train.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Jan 1 2011, 05:53 PM
Post #25

Hardcore BUSTie

This might be a question for spot-on or any of you other fitness gurus out there. I'm starting the firm- which combines weight training with cardio. I don't want to lose any weight, I am just doing this strictly to tone up and get stronger, plus I already run for about 4 miles/day. I am too skinny in many places as it is *cough * BOOBS *cough* and I really don't want to lose any little of what I have there. Is it possible for me to tone my body without really losing weight? I really don't want to get rid of what little curves that are there, but I don't know if this is possible since you can't spot train.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
falloutmk
post Jan 1 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(ketto @ Jan 14 2010, 11:03 AM) *
I took my brand spanking new cross country skis out on Monday. Holy hell, I forgot what a workout it is. It was a warm day (by winnipegs january standars) and I wore my winter jacket and no hat. I went out for 30 minutes and when I got back into my apartment my hair was completely drenched in sweat. Looking forward to going out again tomorrow!

That is awesome! Except the drenched hair part, but you know, that is the sign of a good old workout. Have fun skiing in the New Years~

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Dec 29 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Awesome, I'm excited to see it Spot-on.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 29 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Hardcore BUSTie

I have a fitness blog where I'll be posting online workout video's etc. (sometime in January once I get the crazy new year weeks over). As a fitness professional I love to educate!

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Dec 29 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone ever tried using a fitness blog?

I started one this week, and I'm finding it to be super addictive. I will post a link to my blog later on when there is more stuff on it if anyone is interested in that sort of thing. If anyone here has one, lemme know. I'd love to see it.

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 28 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

Nope the research showed they were no better than regular workout shoes.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Dec 28 2010, 01:43 PM
Post #31

Hardcore BUSTie

Thanks for doing some research for me epi, I've started the first DVD and it totally kicked my ass! I've been in so much pain that I haven't been able to try the second workout yet, but I think I'm going to take it A LOT slower, and I'm def gonna keep at it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Bellydancing sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the great idea! And you're getting me motivated to eat healthier too, so many new years resolutions, so little time.

Do those shoes really not work spot-on? I didn't read the article you posted yet, but I always wanted to try them. Gonna read it now!

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 28 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #32

Hardcore BUSTie

Nope never tried em.

QUOTE(buttercups @ Dec 26 2010, 12:01 PM) *
Has anyone used The Firm workouts? I just got the total body transformation kit for xmas and I really want to try it out and see if it works. (New Years resolution is to love my body somehow, so this is how I'm gonna jumpstart that!)

If anyone is looking for good DVD recommendations I suggest:

chalene extreme
turbofire
P90X

+Quote Post
spot-on
post Dec 28 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #33

Hardcore BUSTie

Not to burst your bubble on these but the "toning shoes" have been proven by ACE not to work.
http://www.acefitness.org/pressroom/758/ac...-shoes-fail-to/

My personal opinion as a PT is that if they make you want to workout/walk more then go for it, but just don't be surprised if you don't get results.

No idea on the DVD for the ball. But I'd check out your local library for workout DVDs, mine has a few ball DVDs I just haven't loaned them yet. Maybe look at Pilates on the ball series? Or check out online?

QUOTE(damona @ Dec 27 2010, 07:39 PM) *
i got a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups for christmas. i love these shoes! my bgp just raved about hers smile.gif so i finally got some and they are so comfy!

i also got a yoga ball (or whatever they're called- the big ones that you can sit on). it came with a workout dvd, but i don't really like it. i love the ball, just not the dvd. can anyone recommend a good workout dvd to use with this thing?

+Quote Post
missladyj
post Dec 28 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #34

Hardcore BUSTie

Is anyone here a body electric fan? Margret Richards is my fitness idol. I Dvr her shows on public television and then do them in in evenings. It is a great quick workout she usually does about four muscle groups a show and she kicks my ass. She is amazing.

I put on a pair of pants and did not like the way they fit so I am trying to get my ass in gear before new years. I really want to get back into the pool and start swimming again. I dream about it.

didn't there used to be a resolution thread?

+Quote Post
damona
post Dec 27 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #35

can i go to bed now?

i got a pair of Sketchers Shape-ups for christmas. i love these shoes! my bgp just raved about hers smile.gif so i finally got some and they are so comfy!

i also got a yoga ball (or whatever they're called- the big ones that you can sit on). it came with a workout dvd, but i don't really like it. i love the ball, just not the dvd. can anyone recommend a good workout dvd to use with this thing?

--------------------
"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Dec 27 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #36

Hardcore BUSTie

Buttercups, you lucky girl! That kit looks awesome! I've never heard of it, but the reviews on Amazon are pretty good and it sounds like a good balance of cardio and strength with some variety to keep you out of the slump.

And if your New Year's resolution is to love your body, I'd suggest bellydance classes. Or any kind of dance you enjoy, really. Bellydance did amazing things for my body image when I was in my teens, and still does. It makes me feel absolutely gorgeous. Everyone looks beautiful doing it, no matter what their shape or size, but if you ask me, bellydance especially flatters curves. Plus it's just so much fun to get in front of a mirror in your favourite gaudy colours with all your jingly janglies on and shake your stuff.

I cannot stop thinking about my bike lately. I know I could get a bike here in China if I wanted to, but I'm not a big risk-taker and I absolutely would not feel safe riding a bike in this crazy place. I really wanna do some bike touring when I get back to Canada. And depending on the traffic situation I may even attempt to commute the 20-odd kilometres to and from school by bike every day. A little ambitious, maybe, but lots of other people do it, and if they can do it I can, too.

I'm really enjoying not being a starving student anymore. It's been years since I could afford to eat this much fresh produce. Although it would be nice if it were easier to find healthy food in restaurants here, at least I can load up on fresh veggies to bring home for just pennies a bag. And I'm really looking forward to having access to a proper kitchen again when I go home to my mom's next year; I'm pretty sure she'll indulge my every culinary whim as long as I do the cooking. I plan to be a model of conscientious eating once I'm back in familiar territory. No sweets, no dairy (except the occasional super-expensive local farm-fresh yogurt), easy on the wheat, lots of fish, nuts, beans, fruits and veggies. I'm already planning menus.

Although I do plan on sucking back the coffee like a fiend when I get back. I'm pining for a Globe and Mail and a double espresso something awful these days.

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
buttercups
post Dec 26 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #37

Hardcore BUSTie

Has anyone used The Firm workouts? I just got the total body transformation kit for xmas and I really want to try it out and see if it works. (New Years resolution is to love my body somehow, so this is how I'm gonna jumpstart that!)

+Quote Post
ketto
post Nov 22 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #38

Hardcore BUSTie

That's great, epi. I too have recently found that changing the way I think about working out has made a big difference.

In mid october indoor soccer started again so that was kind of the catalyst to get me back into a bit of a routine. I've also been practicing mindfullness and staying present in the moment as a new sort of life philosophy and my whole life in general feels a lot less stressful. The idea is that you have no judgment for yourself when you don't get to a workout or if you feel too tired. I know that sounds like it might just be an easy way to say "i'm not going to work out" but once I took away that internal debate ("Oh, I should be working out" - "but I'm tired" - "but I haven't done much this week, I should get out there" - "but I'm so cozy in here") then I had no resistance to doing workouts.

I never ever ever thought I would be into meditation but that's been a big part of my mental change. I've also never been one to exercise past about 7 or 8 at night, but last week I went out twice at 7:30 and 9:15pm. One of my big problems is not feeling great when I wake up or feeling overwhelmed with everything I have to do that day and then I basically tell myself how much I don't want to work out and talk myself out of it. Now I just get up, accept that I might not feel great for the first hour after I wake up but that I very well may want to later in the day. If I do, then I do, if I don't, then I don't.

Rather than serving as a distraction on days when I've got lots of homework, it actually refreshes me, gives me a sense of structure, and helps me get all that fidgety energy out of my system, so I end up getting way more work done.

Totally. I can't meditate first thing in the morning, but I do a serious of stretches as soon as I get up. Often it gets rid of my headache and I just feel so much more pleasant and ready to push myself harder. I love it.

The only thing I've been wanting to do that I haven't gotten around to is getting back into hot yoga. I have a lot of muscle and back problems and I think it would be great for me. I've always loved it when I did it but I've never gone regularly.

--------------------
Meow.

+Quote Post
epinephrine
post Nov 22 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #39

Hardcore BUSTie

Well, it seems I was a little ambitious in my workout plans. On days when I didn't feel like I could do the whole thing I'd just get discouraged and ditch the workout altogether, which was pretty counterproductive. My method now (at least on days when I don't have plans or spontaneous adventures) is to eat lunch right after class, even if I'm not particularly hungry, and then spend the afternoon relaxing, digesting and doing homework. When I feel I've got a good chunk of homework done (or when my brain flatlines and I can't do any more) and my stomach is comfortably empty, I give myself a chunk of time to go to the gym and do as much as I can without taking breaks or spending time planning what to do next. I just go down there, warm up on the stationary bike on the highest gear for 10-15 minutes till I've got a good sweat going, do a brief stretch, and start randomly doing whatever exercises feel right, switching up when it really starts to burn. I try to stick with a general legs-abs-arms circuit and do compound exercises to make the most of it - bicep curls and forward presses with lunges and squats, crunches with chest fly, etc. When time's up I go back to my room, throw some veggies and tofu in the steamer and have a quick shower, and they're ready to eat when I get out. It seems to be working really, really well - I'm making it into the gym 3 or 4 days a week now. I've kind of reframed my workout as a time slot in which to do things and not as a bunch of things I need to do, which I realize now was the main source of stress and guilt in my anti-workout mental block. No matter what I've got to do in the day, that 30-60 minutes will always be in there somewhere. Rather than serving as a distraction on days when I've got lots of homework, it actually refreshes me, gives me a sense of structure, and helps me get all that fidgety energy out of my system, so I end up getting way more work done. And when I work out I'm way more motivated to eat well and have less cravings for crappy food. I actually find working out suppresses my appetite because my stomach is so fussy about exercise - I absolutely cannot exercise with food in my stomach, which means I can't eat for 3-4 hours before a workout, and I can't eat for at least 30-45 minutes after.

I'm also looking forward to getting back into yoga and dance again - I finally found the regular gym on campus that offers drop-in classes! They're entirely in Chinese, of course, and I have no doubt I'll be the big fat white freak in the class, but whatever. It'll be a very educational experience, and once they get over the shock of having a real live foreigner in their midst I'm sure the other people will all be super nice and I'll probably make some very useful acquaintances. I'm hoping to sign up tomorrow. Stoked!

--------------------
To be free one must give up a little part of oneself.

+Quote Post
foryoursplendor
post Oct 13 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

I desperately wish I had time to workout because I really do not want to gain weight now that I'm in school again. *sobs*

+Quote Post

97 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 24, 2014 - 05:47 PM