Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hauling Ass On My Hip: The Purse/Bag Thread
girlbomb_redux
post Jun 9 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #61

Hardcore BUSTie

Bright orange Jack Spade messenger bag. Carries my laptop, and all sundry attachments. Water-resistant, sturdy, and bright freakin' orange. I love my bag.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
possum
post Jun 9 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #62

BUSTie

I'm almost tempted to just use a regular tote bag. I dunno.

I have a Kate Spade "Sam" style bag in a pretty cranberry color that was a b-day present. It's so pretty, but kind of annoying to carry under yr shoulder, since the boxiness makes it stick out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
divalla
post Jun 9 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #63

Hardcore BUSTie

Polly, I'm currently carrying exactly the same bag as you are, only the striped version! I absolutely adore it, except when you load it down, the strap flips in so the metal adjuster is against your shoulder. I'm really picky about that stuff, but it's my one and only complaint about this bag. I got it on clearance for $30, and am so happy I snagged the last one in the store. Oh, and when the strap is too short, it falls off my shoulder, so I keep it long and wear it across my chest if I'm doing serious walking and it needs to stay put for awhile.

I've got a problem with collecting handbags - expensive ones. I've bought every single one of them on clearance, though, except for one. I've got a black Fendi one that's shaped like a kidney that's good for going out or if I'm not carrying a whole lot. The best thing is the texture with the raised logo letters, but since it's black on black, it's not garishly flashing symbols or anything. I also get a lot of compliments on my fuscia/plum Kate Spade doctor's bag. It's leather, which I usually don't go for, but it's nice and open on the inside and perfect for smuggling food into movie theaters. The only problem is that since there's so much space, it gets heavy fast.

I also make cigar box handbags that are decoupaged with vintagey images and such, with other embellishments. I try to carry those whenever possible as free advertising for myself. The only problem is that since the sides don't expand, you've got to plan what you put in them so they'll close. They make great conversation pieces, though.

I'm currently looking for a really cute blue or yellow bag. I've got every other color under the sun except those two.

+Quote Post
possum
post Jun 9 2006, 10:49 AM
Post #64

BUSTie

LadyLibrary (i love that name, being a librarian and all)... can you post a pic or a link to a pic? Thanks :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ladylibrary
post Jun 9 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #65

Hardcore BUSTie

i recently got a marc jacobs bag on clearence that is really great. the strap is long enough to wear across the body or over the shoulder. its a cream color that matches everything. it has a double flap that closes with a magnetic button, a zipper pocket across the front for storage, the inside is divide into two seperate areas with zippers. i can fit my camera and accesories in the back of it and all my other stuff in the front area. its big but not huge or akward. i really love it. and it was not that expesive, about $120, but for a leather marc bag it is really a great price.

+Quote Post
hellotampon
post Jun 9 2006, 08:05 AM
Post #66

Hardcore BUSTie

The purse I've been using for a year is just a regtangular pouch made from pretty frabric with a twine strap. I got it from a headshop. I like that it's big enough to fit more than just my tiny cellphone and wallet (unlike my other purses which are all tiny), but it's like a bottomless pit sometimes. There are no pockets, so when my cellphone rings I sometimes end up dumping out the whole thing in frustration. And the bag spins when I walk, so the straps gets all twisted and it's really annoying.

I've found that small zipper pouches to hold my makeup, jewelry, vitamins, etc. help with the "bottomless pit" thing though.

When I'm going someplace where I need to bring my nalgene bottle and an extra shirt or something, I use my corduroy backpack. It zips open on the side that rests against my back, it has a front pocket, and the straps zip together so you can wear it like a regular backpack or do that one-strap diagonal thing.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post Jun 9 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #67

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

I was in the same boat as you, possum, with basically the same needs as you, until last Christmas when I found my current purse. It's made by Fossil, and it's called "Fairfax". I found an ebay auction with it, but it's a slightly different model. My version is green and has a flap over the top, with a magnetic "button". The one in the picture has 2 pockets in front and a zipper on top.

Anyway, when you lift up the flap on mine, there's a small pocket (it's sort of a flat pocket) and I keep receipts, coupons other scraps of paper in it. Then there's a bigger pocket that I keep my sunglasses and hairbrush in. Then there's the main part of the purse. It has 2 open "pouches", which I keep my iPod and cell phone in, and a small zipper pocket that I keep my lig gloss, breath mints, Excedrin- stuff I use regularly. Then, as an added bonus, there's a large zipper pocket on the back that's almost hidden and it's as big as the length and width of the purse. I keep my less-used cosmetics and a few hair things in there. There's also 2 buttoned pockets on the ends, but I don't really use those.

This purse has been wonderful- it's durable canvas-y material, so I can wash it. The faux button on the outside of the flap (like the ones the eBay purse has on the two pockets) fell off, but I saved it and it can easily be sewn back on.

For some reason this purse is not listed on their website, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't carry it any more- it wasn't up there when I got mine, either. It wasn't on eBay, either, so I think it was really new in November/December and maybe they're only selling it in stores.

Anyway, I don't know if you're near a Fossil store, but this purse is worth driving 100 miles for! Otherwise, I can poke around on eBay for you- maybe there's one listed that the seller didn't put "Fairfax" in the title so it didn't come up.

ETA: Oh, and it was about $60.

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
mornington
post Jun 9 2006, 03:42 AM
Post #68

now running on biodiesel and sacrificial blood

I have a lloyd baker bag that holds all my crap; admittedly it is leather, but it's the best bag I own. They don't sell it any more, but it looks similar to this. If I'm going to uni though, I favour a large canvas tote, because there is no handbag on earth that can hold an A4 file and a labcoat.

My father, and/or my brother buy me a handbag every birthday and/or christmas. I have lots of handbags.

+Quote Post
auralpoison
post Jun 8 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #69

Big Fat Bitch

I'm thinking of picking up one of these:

http://www.mooshoes.com/invoice_variant.cgi?rm=edit&product_id=141152

I have many purses in many different styles. Although, I do use my pockets when I only need my id, debit card, & lipbalm.

--------------------
"You're cute, like a velvet glove cast in iron. And like a gas chamber, a real fun gal."

+Quote Post
possum
post Jun 8 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #70

BUSTie

Oh, and forgot to ask... if you don't carry a purse, what do you carry? Is there an alternative out there besides pockets? I'm not a fan of pocket bulges, and I have a little too much stuff to carry to get away with pockets only.

--------------------

+Quote Post
possum
post Jun 8 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #71

BUSTie

My name is Possum, and I have a bag problem.

I am 33 and I have spent about 20 years looking for the perfect purse. I've tried them all. Expensive ones. Cheap ones. Messenger. Shoulder. Backpack. Handheld. Big. Small. Tote. Compartments. No compartments. Black. Colorful. Plain. Ornate. Even some custom made ones have turned around to bite me in the ass. I have yet to find what I want.

My ideal bag should have one or two outside pockets, a bit of stashing room but not huge or bulky. Preferably not leather. Not a bunch of hanging crap, fringe or dangling junk. No useless buckles. Must be lightweight. Must be durable. Not trendy, no dumbass logos all over it. Must have a shoulder strap of some kind. Must be a bit unusual, something not everyone on earth would have. Is this too much to ask?

Here's what I haul on a daily basis:
Cell phone (black RAZR named Poe)
iPod (named iNgrid)
Wallet
Pons/Pads
Pens
Moleskine daily planner, size of a book
Small can of cop-grade pepper spray, aka Krypto
Albuterol (asthma rescue inhaler)
Digital Camera
Glasses
Lip balm, concealer, small hairbrush
.. and sometimes whatever junk I run across.

What bag do you carry?

WHERE THE HELL CAN I FIND A BAG I LIKE?!

Thank you. Please drive through.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 1, 2014 - 08:07 PM