Welcome Guest [ Log In | Register ] ]

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Busty Mom's of not so wee ones
Ireie
post Jun 3 2009, 06:53 AM
Post #21

BUSTie

Thanks for that info! I'll look for copies of those for the summer. I think this is an old thread that I got bumped to when I started looking around for reading material for Bug. Hopefully it will start back up. I've just got Bug currently, but we are getting ready to start trying again. Just a tad nervous cause it's been a while and no child is ever the same.
Cass
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post Jun 1 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #22

BUSTie

So nice to see this thread here! I'm Rebecca and am mum to a quasi wee one (a.k.a 3year old) and a big one (8 year old). They are bright active, and sometimes drive me crazy lol. Wouldn't trade being a mom for anything though. Having kids certainly made my own goals slow down a bit.. o.k. take a back seat for years. However, that improved once my son was through the baby stage.

Are there still moms here? smile.gif Is this still an active thread? I'm not sure what guidelines to follow when an old thread is re-introduced.
Anyway cheers and have a great day!
~R

--------------------
"What's past is prologue."
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
MsKissyStarfish
post Jun 1 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #23

BUSTie

QUOTE(Ireie @ May 29 2009, 05:36 AM) *
Hello everyone, I'm Cass and I have an 8 year old daughter that I want to find reading material for that has good female characters and heroines. I looking for something that isn't about princesses or stereotypical girly. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even a point in a good direction. Her reading level is about that of the Magic Tree House books, which seem to be a favorite so far. I picked up comic versions of Nancy Drew and the Baby Sitter's Club yesterday and she has gotten into them too.

Hi there smile.gif everyone!
Cass, I have an 8 year old daughter as well. She enjoyed Clementine (first and second) and my old Pippi Longstocking books. smile.gif She adored The Girl with the Silver Eyes, but that again is just one of my old books. Also Island of the Blue Dolphin is a good book with a female heroine. My daughter didn't dig the babysitters type books but she read Fairest (about a princess) at least 3 times. Go figure. =/
Her tastes have changed and she is pretty much reading ghost stories, magic (Harry Potter series etc.), and Sci fi these days. Have fun and happy reading!

--------------------
"What's past is prologue."
~William Shakespeare

The Tempest

+Quote Post
Ireie
post May 29 2009, 07:36 AM
Post #24

BUSTie

Hello everyone, I'm Cass and I have an 8 year old daughter that I want to find reading material for that has good female characters and heroines. I looking for something that isn't about princesses or stereotypical girly. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even a point in a good direction. Her reading level is about that of the Magic Tree House books, which seem to be a favorite so far. I picked up comic versions of Nancy Drew and the Baby Sitter's Club yesterday and she has gotten into them too.

+Quote Post
pollystyrene
post May 28 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #25

Too many mutha uckas, Uckin' with my shi-

Bump for Ireie!

--------------------
You went to school where you were taught to fear and to obey, be cheerful, fit in, or someone might think you're weird.
Life can be perfect. People can be trusted. Someday, I will fall in love; a nice quiet home of my very own.
Free from all the pain. Happy and having fun all the time.
It never happened, did it?

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Dec 21 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #26

Hardcore BUSTie

konphusion, i did reply briefly to this dilemmna in the CBC thread, but it seems more appropriate to elaborate here...

it sounds like these people (or this woman anyway, i don't know the whole dynamic of the situation) are totally taking advantage of your accomodating nature. yes, i love going somewhere that i don't have to worry about kiddo for a while cause there's another adult around, but i hope i'm considerate enough to realize i can only do that if i trust her to behave, and if i know she'll be welcome. on top of that, it's not fair to you or to the kid to keep them up till 1:00am!
since you don't really know this woman or have a relationship with her, i think your man has some responsibility here to handle the situation. sure, he's locked away working removed from the scene, but certainly he can see the exhausted kids leaving, and notice the orange stain on the carpet...if he's not able to give you notice of his buddy coming over, he's at least going to have to tell the guy "look, our place really isn't suited to having kids over" or "i can't really expect konphusion to entertain anyone, so it's better if you come by yourself". then buddy can deal with his own wife.

failing that, if they do come again, when 9:30 rolls around (or whenever) declare "look, i've got a headache/early start tomorrow/something to work on and really need to get to it." knock on that music room door and inform husband and buddy that music time is over and your going to bed. this should be the serious hint that they need to wrap it up and leave. i know your point is not to kill the music time, but someone's gotta recognize that you shouldn't have to suffer so long on account of it.

hope it works out! and rest assured...we parenting types are not all so ignorant and inconsiderate! (i hope!)

+Quote Post
konphusion26
post Dec 19 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #27

Hardcore BUSTie

Hi beautiful Busties... I have a situation I need some advice on. Also cross posted in the Childfree thread. I don't have any children yet. But how do I deal with these people and their kids?? I like these folks alright. I just got so irritated with them last night. Here's why:

My husband decided to invite his music buddy over last night and didn't tell me till it was too late to protest. The guy is cool except his wife always wants to tag along with their 2 kids. I'm usually left entertaining the wife (which blows cuz we have NOTHING in common and I don't do small talk well). Somehow or another she always makes her way to where the hubby is and leaves her damn kids with me or unsupervised.

Now this wouldn't be a problem if her 3 yr old son wasn't a total brat. He doesn't listen to her at all. Here's a list of his antics from last night. His father finally stepped in and spanked his lil azz.

-Purposely spewed orange soda on my carpet that I just shampooed 3 days ago;
-threw a toy car at the new (plasma) tv that my husband worked so hard to get - almost hit it; probably would have tried again if his mom hadn't caught him.
-running up and down the hallway screaming at the top of his lungs (keep in mind we live in a 2nd floor apartment)
-kept going in my refrigerator without permission
-threw his toys all over my living room and would not pick them up when told to.

After all this mess, they didn't end up leaving till after 1am. My husband doesn't understand why I don't like having company or like being at home when he's working on music. I wasn't expecting them to be here last night and certainly didn't feel like entertaining. I hope they don't come back today. But knowing my luck they probably will. UUGH!! I wish they could work on their stuff elsewhere. I hate having my home taken over.

--------------------
Faith is hoping for and believing in things you cannot see!

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 24 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #28

did you get their flier in with the scholasitic book picks from school? one came home with the little man the other day so i've been thinking about them too. only i've been wondering if their clothes and accessories will fit the poppet dolls i make so i can pilfer their supplies without having to buy one of their dolls (which i don't like as much as the ones i make, heh). i loved the spa idea though, isn't that wonderful?

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Oct 24 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #29

Hardcore BUSTie

i was reminded of a previous conversation in this thread when i learned about these Maplelea Girls dolls the other day. the dolls are each supposed to be a "real girl" character who have varied interests (ie something other than fashion and hairdressing...nothing wrong with those, but we all know there are other things out there). obviously they are very "canadian", but someone put a lot of thought into including all kinds of kids experiences in the "life stories" of these dolls - language, geography, ability, cultural background, and religious differences are all touched on in the descriptions of the different dolls.
i think i would have loved one of these as a kid. nice to see something positive out there for our little girls! i also like that if the doll gets damaged, you can send it to the "Maplelea Spa" to get repaired, instead of throwing the thing out.

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Oct 15 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #30

Hardcore BUSTie

thanks mamas, i enjoyed reading your suggestions! kiddo's daddy also though she could use some sort of wheeled cart contraption or something, which of course HE would make (meaning it would be finished some months after her leg has healed). i think we will suck it up and deal with the stroller for now (it is the umbrella type) and try to be encouraging to kiddo. she's getting much more confident about moving around on her own, so that may help. i think i mostly needed moral support, so thank you everyone for your encouragement! she has this full leg cast another 2 weeks, and the hopefully if all is healing well, they will make a new cast that is just below the knee, for another 3 weeks or so.

+Quote Post
pepper
post Oct 14 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #31

i'm thinking things on wheels = another accident. i know it sucks but this may be a thing that you just have to tough out. it really, really sucks but i wouldn't take a chance with any dangerous mobility! maybe you could go and pick out an umbrella stroller with her and decorate it so it feels a little more friendly and personal for her? best of luck and kisses for your wee injured!

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Oct 13 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #32

Nice Kitty

I thought skateboard, too...or perhaps the actual wagon?

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Oct 13 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #33

beachcomber

ok, I know this is a stretch here, but have you ever seen those big over-sized skate-board type things?
or wait- what about a Skate Board? or 2 even duct-taped together to be wider?

I've bee thinking and thinking on this sinse I read your post yesterday christine and sadly- that's as good as it gets. :/ poor kiddo!!
my heart totally goes out to her right now.
how long is she going to have to wear the cast?

(((((kiddo)))) speedy healing sugar.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
moxiegirl
post Oct 13 2008, 02:07 PM
Post #34

Nice Kitty

office chair with wheels?

Sucks seriously for the wee one. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Christine Nectar...
post Oct 12 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #35

Hardcore BUSTie

i know this discussion left off a while ago, but thanks for reminding me of "female chauvenist pigs". i remember reading some reviews of it when it came out, and always meant to pick it up. i think i will do that.

a bit of an update:
my kiddo broke her leg last weekend sad.gif Total accident on the playground slide. it was just shortly before i came to pick her up at her grandparents, and they came with me to emerg. her left leg is in a full cast. she's not very happy about it, although handling it surprisingly well. the cast is purple, and she got her dad to paint on it for "decoration". we've borrowed a wagon to get her around, and are able to leave it at school in the morning, so when her daycare staff come to pick up the kids, they can pull her along.

the only problem we have encountered is for her to get around AT daycare. in the classroom she can manage a little on her own, by scooting around on her bum. she needs help however to get up and down the hall, and go to the bathroom. the teachers don't mind helping her, but they want to put her in a stroller to help get her around! she doesn't like this idea, and neither do i - for one thing, it's not very comfortable for her, as her leg is left at an odd angle, and for another, she NOT a baby, and i think it's kind of demoralizing for her. the reason for all this is that BOTH her teachers are pregnant, and can't easily lift or carry her. now this i understand, and certainly i don't want to cause them any discomfort, but seriously, a stroller? they tried it out on friday, and when i picked her up, she just looked so miserable, and pointed to the stroller with a look that said "look what they did to me mum!" she's too little use crutches, and can't put much weight on her leg yet.

i don't know what to do about this. any help mamas?

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 25 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #36

what are you talking about? how can you be ashamed of yourself for learning something new and opening your mind like that? R U crazeee? i'm proud of you! yay you! there are no life rules, we gotta learn them all as we go along. and i'll betcha that most feminists will find feminist issues that they never thought about before. dat's life babee!

+Quote Post
freckleface7
post Sep 25 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #37

beachcomber

thank you to both syb & pepper, bc I just went to her website too and discovered, much to my object horror, that I am guilty of some of the described chauvanistic behaviour too! unsure.gif
(such as I tended to feel that women working at strip clubs, (the ones Not addicted to drugs or otherwise coherced into working there) were empowering themselves by basically 'outsmarting the men' as men will look/objectify women Anyway)
but dare I say so simple or short a page has opened my eyes to my own shame?

I cannot believe I actually thought that so callously and am disappointed in myself.

--------------------
I'm gonna let it shine

+Quote Post
pepper
post Sep 25 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #38

thanks for the book rec, i'll pick it up. good info to have when you are mama to small daughters.
i'm checking out her website.

+Quote Post
sybarite
post Sep 25 2008, 04:35 AM
Post #39

it's cards on the table time

I am heartened reading everyone's posts complaining about hyper-sexualised girls--I read (finalyl) Ariel Levy's Female Chauvinist Pigs and she is horrifying on how teenaged girls see (and are made to see) themselves.

I am so glad the resident teen dresses, maybe like frecklette, in tops and jeans rather than all that scary stuff. She's currently channelling the 1980s, with lots of bright colours, stripes and retro t-shirts. I dare to think she's pretty cool at school...

+Quote Post
mandolyn
post Sep 24 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #40

Hardcore BUSTie

*delurk*

i so want one of those groovy girls for myself!
i so want to get one for my tiny niece! too bad my sister won't get it. at all.
and yes, polly, i do seem to be stalking you today ... hee!
*blows a keece to freckle*

*relurk*

--------------------
"... what i want is what i've not got
and what i need is all around me."

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: April 21, 2014 - 09:27 AM