271 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bacterial Vaginosis--or--embarrassing bad smell
melis19750
post Sep 29 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #421

Hardcore BUSTie

keep using the pro biotics, im sure eventually they will colonize
but it could also be because you have been using a lot of other things??

If you are on and off with medications-vaginal creams- etc...it will only not help the vagina

what i pretty much did was leave everything alone and rely ONLY on my fem-dophilus
it took a few weeks for me to notice a real difference... but it worked

I read the article, and to be honest, I think its RepHresh companies way of convincing us to use their products

their products are great but for some people cause some issues like weird discharge, temporary relief of BV, and someone even stated it gave her a yeast infection

go to jarrows website and listen to the video on the doctor who formulated fem-dophilus
you might start to understand how it works

he did a study using fem-d vaginally 2 times a day for 5 days and how it cured BV
but they can't market it vaginally in america because its not FDA approved

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Sep 29 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Well...I've tried them all, including fem-d and they did nothing. I get good brands too, not cheap stuff. That article says the more acidic ph allows the good bacteria to take hold more and it makes sense to me.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 29 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #422

BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Sep 29 2010, 04:45 PM) *
i don't quite agree you have to have the right pH level to colonize the good bacteria.

The good bacteria actually help restore your vaginal pH.

It may be your using a pro-biotic thats not working for you? or you may need to take them a certain way...

all i can tell you is fem-d is what normalized my pH and its why im finally back on it
i should have never stopped taking it

Well...I've tried them all, including fem-d and they did nothing. I get good brands too, not cheap stuff. That article says the more acidic ph allows the good bacteria to take hold more and it makes sense to me.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 29 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #423

Hardcore BUSTie

interesting- but no
although im taking a digestive enzyme from trader joe's thats made my pineapple and Papya

QUOTE(swt simplicity @ Sep 29 2010, 04:22 PM) *
This may seem like a silly question, but has anyone on here ever tried eating pineapples to improve the way their vaginal secretions taste and smell. It's one of those old wives tales that people swear by: eating pineapples improves the vaginal scent and taste. Some say it makes the vaginal secretions taste sweeter and smell good. I actually like eating pineapples. I plan on doing some research on this.

+Quote Post
swt simplicity
post Sep 29 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #424

Hardcore BUSTie

This may seem like a silly question, but has anyone on here ever tried eating pineapples to improve the way their vaginal secretions taste and smell. It's one of those old wives tales that people swear by: eating pineapples improves the vaginal scent and taste. Some say it makes the vaginal secretions taste sweeter and smell good. I actually like eating pineapples. I plan on doing some research on this.

--------------------
You can save $10 on your first purchase at iHerb if you use my referral code LUN601. Great selection of feminine hygiene products, candida/fungal/yeast products, and probiotics.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 29 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #425

Hardcore BUSTie

i don't quite agree you have to have the right pH level to colonize the good bacteria.

The good bacteria actually help restore your vaginal pH.

It may be your using a pro-biotic thats not working for you? or you may need to take them a certain way...

all i can tell you is fem-d is what normalized my pH and its why im finally back on it
i should have never stopped taking it

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Sep 29 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Read this article. The 2nd one is better. It is on reducing vaginal PH. I am going to try this. I think it's why probiotics don't help me. You have to have the right PH to colonize probiotics.

http://www.rephresh.com/Content/Clinical_Studies.aspx

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 29 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #426

BUSTie

Read this article. The 2nd one is better. It is on reducing vaginal PH. I am going to try this. I think it's why probiotics don't help me. You have to have the right PH to colonize probiotics.

http://www.rephresh.com/Content/Clinical_Studies.aspx

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 29 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #427

BUSTie

Those tampons sound great -- if they work.

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 29 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #428

Hardcore BUSTie

welcome =)
by the way has anyone tried the new RePhresh Brilliant tampons that are supposed to keep your vaginal pH at a 3.5-4.5 while your on your menstrual cycle? I just received my $1 off coupon today and plan on trying them. =)

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 28 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #429

BUSTie

boric doesn't work for me.

+Quote Post
sassy
post Sep 28 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #430

Hardcore BUSTie

Also, Maggie, or anyone else who has had success with Fem-D...how does sex affect it? Do you find yourself staying normal even after sex? Or do you need to take an extra probiotic afterwards. Just curious. Haven't tested the waters on that yet.

+Quote Post
sassy
post Sep 28 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #431

Hardcore BUSTie

QUOTE(mfc10 @ Sep 28 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Amen, Sassy. I've taken at least one Fem-dophilus orally per day (and periodically use one vaginally, as the patent-holder for this probiotic affirms is fine to do) for about 4 years now. No more BV-yeast cycles! Amazing product! wink.gif
maggie

I'm so glad to hear that it worked for you too! And it doesn't worry me about doing harm to my body (i.e. constant boric acid use). I'm so excited to have found this.

+Quote Post
mfc10
post Sep 28 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #432

BUSTie

QUOTE(sassy @ Sep 28 2010, 05:43 AM) *
I can't believe that this one probiotic can solve a problem I have tried for years to fix. Anyways...I know this won't work for everyone, but I strongly recommend giving it a try. smile.gif

Amen, Sassy. I've taken at least one Fem-dophilus orally per day (and periodically use one vaginally, as the patent-holder for this probiotic affirms is fine to do) for about 4 years now. No more BV-yeast cycles! Amazing product! wink.gif
maggie

+Quote Post
sassy
post Sep 28 2010, 04:43 AM
Post #433

Hardcore BUSTie

Good morning, ladies! I have been a part of this forum since 2005 or 2006, but I haven't been very active in the past couple of years...just lurking. I have battled BV since I was 18 and I'm 25 now. I have tried everything...the antibiotics (all of them!), hydrogen peroxide, folic acid, internet scams, etc. The only thing that ever worked for me was making my own boric acid capsules...however, the results of that only last as long as I'm using the boric acid. I knew Fem-Dophilus had been recommended quite a bit, but it has dairy in it and being vegan, I didn't really want to take it. Well, I finally caved this weekend. I bought some from Whole Foods and took two pills Sunday night and two pills Monday morning. By Monday afternoon I was pretty amazed to discover that the smell and discharge of my BV was completely gone. I mean, it worked better and faster than when my doctor put me on meds. I can't believe it. I'm going to keep taking two a day for a month, and then decrease to one a day for as long as they make the product. I can't believe that this one probiotic can solve a problem I have tried for years to fix. Anyways...I know this won't work for everyone, but I strongly recommend giving it a try. smile.gif

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 27 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #434

BUSTie

Thanks, Melis.

Where is everyone getting the PH strips? Are they the same ones used to test urine?

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 27 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #435

Hardcore BUSTie

btw- there is some other board (not here) where some lady claims BV and step B are the same thing.

actually NOOOOO they are not

yes GBS over growth is an infection
but GBS overgrowth is a vaginal GBS infection NOT BV
it is called Group B Strep Vaginitis

I think people really need to get educated before they try and educate people, so be careful where you get your info!! Most people on this board know their stuff when it comes to BV! Thats why I prefer this board over other boards

see: http://www.obgyn.net/women/women.asp?page=...icles/gbs_part1

BV is Predominantly Gardnerella and/or Mobiluncus morphotypes. Few or absent Lactobacilli.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaginosis

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 27 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #436

BUSTie

Ugh, what an ordeal! Mine is musty too, now that the BV is gone. I am still on the flagyl pills, so no BV, but I still have that other odor, which I am so so SO fed up with at this point. You having the same, I am wondering if it's strep. I need to find out, but should finish my flagyl course, so the BV maybe stays away for good.

I tried fem-D, orally, and didn't notice any difference at all. Now I've run out, so I haven't been taking it for awhile. I am taking a liquid probiotic, but they don't help me much -- none of them do.

I hope I have strep because now I am afraid I have TMAU like S. She had the same odor, but if you don't have it, maybe i don't.

Good luck with your BV. I hope you get rid of it.

Was the pain a stabbing pain or a burning pain?

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 27 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #437

Hardcore BUSTie

thats the prob with MANY doctors now a-days they don't do what they always should...CULTURE IT

yes looking under the microscope helps
it can tell you if you have yeast budding or bacteria
if you have yeast- they can sometimes see it
and if you have "clue cells" that simply is a way of saying- yes there is some abnormal bacteria in there

normally what is common is BV
but there are a PLETHORA of bacteria that can cause imbalance/infections in the vagina- LOTS

and most doctors will also tell you group b strep over growth does NOT cause symptoms, however if you google it or look back on this board youll find plenty of females that GBS overgrowth bothers

I will be honest and tell you- Gardnerella (BV) has nothing on heavy GBS over growth- at least for me

this BV I have is not even that bothersome- a little smelly... a little itchy sometimes/ or just weird watery discharge but for the most part NOTHING

when I had HEAVY overgrowth of GBS I had PAIN- I cant describe it... i just know when I have it, and knock on wood i never get it again
I went through HELL having GBS overgrowth non-stop from sept 2002-Jan 2005

finally after finding this board, and hearing about FEM-DOPHILUS I tried it (Im not a doctor, so im not going to rec it vaginally) but i did use it vaginally and orally, and also a dose of 7 days on the clinda vaginal cream before FEM-D

after that- no symptoms, went back to the doctor for a follow up.... and my GBS was GONE and never returned (Im praying it stays away, which is one reason why Im back on FEM-D and trying to get rid of this BV)

the main symptoms I had with GBS was this weird thick white-ish discharge (similar to BV) and a musty smell... but NOT FISHY, the smell would come and go.... i cant explain it, and of course this weird vulvar pain..not too painful, but annoying enough it bothered me... not as bad a yeast infection symptoms but similar....

and i will say this BV is a pain because I dont like the feeling of being imbalanced...esp since I prob caused it with the garlic inserts being I was so paranoid about the yeast infection i had a few weeks ago

than wallah presto...my first BV infection ever

I was once misdiagnosed with BV- which is how I know about demanding for a culture
when I first had heavy GBS colonization and clue cells and a "weird smell: the doctor just swabbed me, looked under the micro scope and said- oh it's BV...
she failed to culture me..but i knew something wasnt right, so i went back a few days later and DEMANDED a few cultures done..one for yeast, one for bacteria, as well as an STD panel just to be safe...
so i used the metro gel as first directed and waited for my test results,
meanwhile waiting for culture results to come in-which at that time in 2002 took a week...things ended up worse, the GBS grew outta control because simply put the GBS was not happy metro gel was inside of my vagina

the culture results came back in- and the nurse called me frantically saying "STOP USING METRO GEL TODAY!"- YOU DON'T have BV, you have HEAVY OVERGROWTH OF GBS
and than they called me in some ampicillin...
that worked
but than the GBS overgrowth kept coming back
and more anti biotic after antibiotic

finally i was fed up
and of course kept getting re-cultured
nothing ever showed up abnormal other than GBS heavy colonization of it

so...def fem-dophilus (vaginally and orally) as well as right before using fem-D clinda cream for 7 nights worked wonders

another reason I think BV came on
was because when i was treating my yeast infection with garlic, I stopped using fem-dophilus.. BAD DECISION

hope this post helps
sorry its rambled
i just have a super long history of GBS colonization (not the normal amount)

and now i am dealing with the dreaded fishy BV- its such an inconvenience...but im glad its not GBS overgrowth
I

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Sep 27 2010, 09:03 PM) *
I don't think they did a thorough culture, because I believe that needs to be sent to the lab. they looked at mine under their microscope and saw clue cells. I am going to ask for a thorough culture next time.
What was your "weird" odor? I'm wondering if I have the same one.
PS - I think I used the same tea tree stuff -- yeast arrest?

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 27 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #438

BUSTie

I don't think they did a thorough culture, because I believe that needs to be sent to the lab. they looked at mine under their microscope and saw clue cells. I am going to ask for a thorough culture next time.

What was your "weird" odor? I'm wondering if I have the same one.

PS - I think I used the same tea tree stuff -- yeast arrest?

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Sep 27 2010, 09:56 PM) *
did they do a thorough culture?
because when I had group b strep overgrowth i had "weird" odor and it was not gadernella
so it's not necessarily BV unless you test pos for the bacteria that causes BV

I would ask for a complete vaginal culture
making sure its not a dif bacterial infection

I even once had this weird infection (caused by tea tree oil suppositories) which I cant remember the name
it produced white chunks like yeast but it wasnt yeast/candida
it was bacterial

i was using tea tree ooil suppositories back than for the group b strep

thank gawd i no longer have GBS over growth

but ask what your test came back pos for

what worked to get rid of my GBS was 2 things- clindamyacin vaginal cream and Fem-Dophilus vaginally 1 time at night for 5 nights and Fem-D orally

after that GBS went away

I NEVER in my LIFE had BV until now
which I believe the garlic cloves I used to kill off a yeast infection (which did work for yeast) caused the imbalance in my vaginal flora-leaving me with Gardernella. (BV)

so when I had "clue cells" in the past, it was always always always GROUP B STREP overgrowth

and metro-gel and flygyl will NOT work for GBS
you need penicillin / or something of the sort lie clinda to use for that

make sure you know exactly what bacteria your treating
so that your not causing something worse to happen like candida overgrowth

+Quote Post
melis19750
post Sep 27 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #439

Hardcore BUSTie

did they do a thorough culture?
because when I had group b strep overgrowth i had "weird" odor and it was not gadernella
so it's not necessarily BV unless you test pos for the bacteria that causes BV

I would ask for a complete vaginal culture
making sure its not a dif bacterial infection

I even once had this weird infection (caused by tea tree oil suppositories) which I cant remember the name
it produced white chunks like yeast but it wasnt yeast/candida
it was bacterial

i was using tea tree ooil suppositories back than for the group b strep

thank gawd i no longer have GBS over growth

but ask what your test came back pos for

what worked to get rid of my GBS was 2 things- clindamyacin vaginal cream and Fem-Dophilus vaginally 1 time at night for 5 nights and Fem-D orally

after that GBS went away

I NEVER in my LIFE had BV until now
which I believe the garlic cloves I used to kill off a yeast infection (which did work for yeast) caused the imbalance in my vaginal flora-leaving me with Gardernella. (BV)

so when I had "clue cells" in the past, it was always always always GROUP B STREP overgrowth

and metro-gel and flygyl will NOT work for GBS
you need penicillin / or something of the sort lie clinda to use for that

make sure you know exactly what bacteria your treating
so that your not causing something worse to happen like candida overgrowth

QUOTE(melinda7 @ Sep 27 2010, 08:41 PM) *
Well, I did have BV, because I had the odor, so they put me on flagyl, but a long course, since it's recurrent. It keeps coming back. So, I had a follow up appt. and they checked and I didn't have the BV, but had clue cells. I'm still taking the flagyl, I have to be on it 4x a week for 3 months. No fish, but I still have a musty smell, which I'm guessing is the clue cells. I never heard about the other infections until I came to this site. At my next appt., I am asking for a culture.

I know my flora got messed up since I was on antibiotics regularly since I was kid, so it's a long road for me to try and get it back to normal.
How did you get rid of the strep?

+Quote Post
melinda7
post Sep 27 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #440

BUSTie

QUOTE(melis19750 @ Sep 27 2010, 05:12 PM) *
just a side note about "clue-cells" if you do have clue cells it DOES NOT mean you have BV caused by gardnerella
whenever I had "clue cells" in the past- after they cultured me it always came back heavy group b strep (beta strep) overgrowth. NEVER BV

this is the first time I have ever had BV...

so just know any bacterial over growth can cause clue cells which are leukocytes- aka- white blood cells which means a sign of bacterial infection

Well, I did have BV, because I had the odor, so they put me on flagyl, but a long course, since it's recurrent. It keeps coming back. So, I had a follow up appt. and they checked and I didn't have the BV, but had clue cells. I'm still taking the flagyl, I have to be on it 4x a week for 3 months. No fish, but I still have a musty smell, which I'm guessing is the clue cells. I never heard about the other infections until I came to this site. At my next appt., I am asking for a culture.

I know my flora got messed up since I was on antibiotics regularly since I was kid, so it's a long road for me to try and get it back to normal.

How did you get rid of the strep?

+Quote Post

271 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 23, 2014 - 06:36 PM